PDA

View Full Version : Perseverance pays for Przybilla

tlongII
10-02-2009, 09:50 AM
http://columbian.com/article/20091001/SPORTS01/710029971

http://columbian.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=TC&Date=20091001&Category=SPORTS01&ArtNo=710029971&Ref=V2&maxw=250&q=100&border=0

TUALATIN, Ore. — Joel Przybilla has watched the Portland Trail Blazers change.

When the Blazers were the joke of the NBA from 2004-06, Przybilla was part of the joke. When Portland posted consecutive 27- and 21-win seasons, redefining the lows to which a rebuilding franchise can sink, Przybilla wore black and red.

And now that Rip City has returned, and the Blazers appear to be on the verge of once again becoming a Western Conference powerhouse? Portland’s 7-foot-1, 255-pound center is still around.

Perseverance has paid off for Przybilla.

So has faith. A tattoo illustrating two praying hands, draped by a cross, is inked into the 29-year-old’s left shoulder.

"I knew things couldn’t get any worse, man, to tell you the truth," Przybilla said Thursday, following a morning workout session at the team’s practice facility.

What pulled Przybilla through? What convinced him to stay a Blazer, while other free agents avoided Portland during the franchise’s recent lean years?

The former University of Minnesota standout said the knowledge that good people were in place, primarily coach Nate McMillan and general manager Kevin Pritchard, made the difference.

"I knew they were going to change things," said Przybilla, who signed with the Blazers Aug. 25, 2004, as a free agent. "I just had to be patient."

Change has definitely arrived.

As Przybilla became a rock anchoring Portland’s middle, the Blazers added a multitude of new, talented players, including Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden.

Since the 2006-07 season, Portland’s win total has increased each year. And as Portland has risen, so has Przybilla.

The nine-year NBA veteran’s average points and rebounds per game have increased each season during the span. Last year was Przybilla’s best to date — he averaged 5.5 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per contest, and he led Portland in rebounds a team-high 43 times.

Roy said Przybilla has been the most important Blazer during the team’s ascension. In addition, Roy remembered Przybilla guiding him through his rookie season. When Roy felt down, Przybilla picked him up.

"Good thing about it is, we get to go tomorrow," Roy recalled Przybilla saying.

McMillan described Przybilla as a proven, experienced veteran — someone who has made it through tough times, and is now reaping the rewards.

"He’s a big part of why we are where we are," McMillan said. "And he’s definitely the type of guy that we want ... in this organization. When you talk about character; when you talk about a team player; when you talk about committing to the organization — both on and off the floor — he’s a great example of it."

But will Przybilla remain a Blazer?

He is under contract to make $6.8 million this season. However, he holds an early-termination contract option next season.

Przybilla and his family love the city of Portland, and he cherishes playing for the Blazers. Przybilla said that, while the business side of his profession requires him to keep an open mind, he also wants to be around to watch his current team’s future unfold.

"This would be the greatest opportunity to win a championship, definitely," Przybilla said. "Because I fit so well with my teammates, and I think it’s such a great role for me. I don’t know if I could play this well anywhere else."

Notes

Patty Mills, a guard chosen by the Blazers in the second round of the 2009 NBA Draft, attended Thursday’s practice. Mills recently underwent surgery for a right-foot fracture. ... Three units consisting of five players participated Thursday in intense full-court action. "You better battle, or your team is sitting the sidelines," McMillan said. ... Blazers forward Travis Outlaw said the NBA’s new social media policy would not affect him. Outlaw was an avid Twitter user this summer. "(Twitter) is just a little cool thing," Outlaw said. "I wouldn’t never going to tweet during a game, anyway."

lefty
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Awesome news !!!!!!!!!!!

DBMethos
10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
"I wouldn’t never going to tweet during a game, anyway."

Nice!

tlongII
10-02-2009, 10:33 AM
"I wouldn’t never going to tweet during a game, anyway."

Nice!

He's just a country boy from Mississippi...

hater
10-02-2009, 10:34 AM
"This would be the greatest opportunity to win a championship, definitely,"

:lmao :lmao

thanks again, tlong

tlongII
10-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Oh it's true. It's damn true!