PDA

View Full Version : 4.79 a pound for skirt steak. You got to be kidding me.

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Outrageous. We're talking about fajitas for fucks sake. They're supposed to be cheap. So now the shit cuts are nearing select ribeye level? Please. Whats up CC :bang we got a shortage of cows? Even at the ghetto meat market here I could only find it at 3.79 a pound. I remember not too long ago I was pissed off about the price increase from 1.99 to 2.99. 4.79....fucking ridiculous....is it going to suck my dick.....lick my asshole.

I also noticed finger ribs moved from .99 to 1.49.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to move over to flank.

What next .75 sod-e-pops :rolleyes.

PM5K
10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
You need one of those things you squeeze when you get mad or something....

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 02:53 PM
You need one of those things you squeeze when you get mad or something....A black baby?

JudynTX
10-02-2009, 02:53 PM
So I guess now would not be a good time to tell you that my in-laws raise Angus Cows and we get our meat for free huh? :D

PM5K
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Maybe you should go buy some fish sticks, I hear they are cheap and that you absolutely love them...

dickface
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
So I guess now would not be a good time to tell you that my in-laws raise Angus Cows and we get our meat for free huh? :D

So you must like having your father in law's meat in your mouth, eh?

Spursfan092120
10-02-2009, 02:56 PM
A black baby?
http://afrocityblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/thats_racist_animated1.gif

:D

PM5K
10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Skirt steak sounds like slang for part of a vagina or just vagina...

JudynTX
10-02-2009, 03:00 PM

:rolleyes You didn't need to go there, did you?

boutons_deux
10-02-2009, 03:01 PM
feed corn used to be 40 pounds for under $4. Along comes dubya's brain-dead subidies for corn ethanol, and corn goes to refineries more. I've seen up to nearly $7.

Ask the Mexicans, who import a lot of corn from US, how much their corn tortillas cost now.

the drought in TX has wiped out a lot of corn.

cows eat corn (it's unnaturally bad for them and those who eat cows, but who cares), so cows go up in price.

Then again, maybe the seller just needed more money, so they raised the price, like a banker raises fees, because they can.

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 03:03 PM
feed corn used to be 40 pounds for under $4. Along comes dubya's brain-dead subidies for corn ethanol, and corn goes to refineries more. I've seen up to nearly $7.

Ask the Mexicans, who import a lot of corn from US, how much their corn tortillas cost now.

cows eat corn (it's unnaturally bad for them and those who eat cows, but who cares), so cows go up in price.

Then again, maybe the seller just needed more money, so they raised the price, like a banker raises fees, because they can.Well no doubt that HEB has the monopoly here.

Dr. Gonzo
10-02-2009, 03:05 PM
A black baby?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h290/midgetonadonkey/IAPPROVE.jpg

CosmicCowboy
10-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Outrageous. We're talking about fajitas for fucks sake. They're supposed to be cheap. So now the shit cuts are nearing select ribeye level? Please. Whats up CC :bang we got a shortage of cows? Even at the ghetto meat market here I could only find it at 3.79 a pound. I remember not too long ago I was pissed off about the price increase from 1.99 to 2.99. 4.79....fucking ridiculous....is it going to suck my dick.....lick my asshole.

I also noticed finger ribs moved from .99 to 1.49.

I'm going to be pissed if I have to move over to flank.

What next .75 sod-e-pops :rolleyes.

Fucking gringo yuppies have screwed up the market...I pretty much quit buying it several years ago...I'm just not payin $4 a pound for skirt steak...

I'm doing a lot more pork these days...I can buy Boston butts for $2 a pound, smoke em for about 6 hours wrap em and cook em for another 6 hours till they are at 195. Pull the pork, mix with a little tropical fruit juice and peppers...

It's just slap yo momma good and beats the shit out of fajitas on tacos.

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Don't get me wrong I like pork. I can still get Spares for 1.79 at the little meat market but I still like my Chimmichurri fajitas.

Vagina
10-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Skirt steak sounds like slang for part of a vagina or just vagina...

I know plenty of skirt chasers.

DPG21920
10-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Don't get me wrong I like pork. I can still get Spares for 1.79 at the little meat market but I still like my Chimmichurri fajitas.

Many people don't even know what Chimmi is. The best sauce to put on skirt steak.

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Many people don't even know what Chimmi is. The best sauce to put on skirt steak.I use it about half the time I make fajitas. If I've got the time I marinate the meat and about 3 pounds of mushrooms in the sauce for half a day. Keep a little on the side for dipping. I don't buy that store bought shit either I make it myself with habanero's and cilantro rather than parsley and cayenne. Then grill the meat and the mushrooms. Great way to eat fajitas.

CosmicCowboy
10-02-2009, 04:45 PM
If I can't find skirt steak on sale I will but a thick cut (3"-4") sirloin for the same price per pound and cut it with the grain about 3/8" thick and cook it the same as the skirt steak. Like regular fajitas but even better.

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 04:48 PM
If I can't find skirt steak on sale I will but a thick cut (3"-4") sirloin for the same price per pound and cut it with the grain about 3/8" thick and cook it the same as the skirt steak. Like regular fajitas but even better.
I haven't been real happy with what I'm finding in sirloins. Pork chops have been amazing lately.

JoeChalupa
10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I've gone to grilled chicken and cutting down on the red meat. But I can still fire up some great fajitas that rock!!

CosmicCowboy
10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Now that it's starting to get cool I'm about to start killing pigs at the ranch. I just got the bow out last week. Gonna be lots of CosmicCowboy BBQ cooked this fall.

JoeChalupa
10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Pork fat rules!! Javelinas?

BacktoBasics
10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Now that it's starting to get cool I'm about to start killing pigs at the ranch. I just got the bow out last week. Gonna be lots of CosmicCowboy BBQ cooked this fall.
Seriously friend. Ship me some fresh kill.

bus driver
10-02-2009, 05:01 PM
A black baby?

i think he was referring to breast, just like in his sig

xellos88330
10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
I am pissed off about the price of skirt steak too. It is ridiculous!!! It is not like it is a quality cut of meat to begin with. This is how I see it... back in the days of Haciendas and stuff like that the lower class could only afford to buy the lower quality cuts of meat. Then they figure out how to make it into one of the best friggin foods on the planet and then the rich folk say... "Damn this is good shit!!! We need to raise the price on it to make some money!!! We never thought that this meat could actually be damn good!"

CosmicCowboy
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Pork fat rules!! Javelinas?

nope. wild pigs.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3369/mdgc0580.jpg (http://img146.imageshack.us/i/mdgc0580.jpg/)

CosmicCowboy
10-02-2009, 05:25 PM
What? Nobody likes free range pork?

JoeChalupa
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
What? Nobody likes free range pork?

I'm down!

EricB
10-02-2009, 06:00 PM
cumin, black pepper freshly cracked, red pepper flake,garlic powder,kosher salt,lemon zest and mix that together, sprinkle that on top of a nice 2 inch thick cut pork chop.

Sear it in a cast iron skillet both sides, into the oven for 40 minutes, mix in some chopped russets that have been lathered with some extra virgin OO fresh chopped rosemary and a dash of oregano and let that cook on down and you've got yourself a money pork dinner.

tlongII
10-02-2009, 06:17 PM
What you cumin on?

JoeChalupa
10-02-2009, 06:48 PM
cumin, black pepper freshly cracked, red pepper flake,garlic powder,kosher salt,lemon zest and mix that together, sprinkle that on top of a nice 2 inch thick cut pork chop.

Sear it in a cast iron skillet both sides, into the oven for 40 minutes, mix in some chopped russets that have been lathered with some extra virgin OO fresh chopped rosemary and a dash of oregano and let that cook on down and you've got yourself a money pork dinner.

I'm going to try that. :tu I love a nice pork chop.

mouse
10-02-2009, 09:28 PM

That is comedy gold. :tu

hey B2B I have found you can go to another HEB down the street and the prices are different. The prices of HEB on Culebra and 24th street next to the mencha homes has very cheap meat. The HEB near Jefferson area on Fredericksburg road is cheap also. stay away from the HEB's off 1604, IH-10, 410, and others they are white man prices. go check it out!

chode_regulator
10-02-2009, 11:55 PM
A black baby?

dude....seriously....thats fuckin hilarious

on the other hand...what kind of select steak were you getting before that was 5 bucks/lb? That is still shit steak.

Slomo
10-03-2009, 03:06 AM
OK serious question:

What exactly is skirt steak. I'm asking because over here no butcher knows what that name refers to. So can anyone explain from which part of the cow it comes from so maybe I can explain it to my butcher and try to make some home cooked fajitas.

CosmicCowboy
10-03-2009, 08:14 AM
OK serious question:

What exactly is skirt steak. I'm asking because over here no butcher knows what that name refers to. So can anyone explain from which part of the cow it comes from so maybe I can explain it to my butcher and try to make some home cooked fajitas.

It's the meat between the ribs and the rear hams on the side. Same as where bacon comes from on a hog.

BacktoBasics
10-03-2009, 09:11 AM
That is comedy gold. :tu

hey B2B I have found you can go to another HEB down the street and the prices are different. The prices of HEB on Culebra and 24th street next to the mencha homes has very cheap meat. The HEB near Jefferson area on Fredericksburg road is cheap also. stay away from the HEB's off 1604, IH-10, 410, and others they are white man prices. go check it out!I live in Corpus

Sear it in a cast iron skillet both sides, into the oven for 40 minutes, mix in some chopped russets that have been lathered with some extra virgin OO fresh chopped rosemary and a dash of oregano and let that cook on down and you've got yourself a money pork dinner.This is pretty close to my rub for Pork Chops only real difference is that I add a small amount of brown sugar and a packet or two of raw sugar. The high heat from grilling it like a steak burns the sugar and it works will in small doses with pork.

Ginofan
10-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Slomo, maybe this would help?

http://pad2.wikihow.com/images/d/df/Beef_cuts_849.jpg

# Chuck: Cuts meat from the chuck area include mock tender roast, boneless arm pot roast and chuck steak.
# Brisket: The brisket cut of meat is from this location.
# Shank: Shank crosscut meat is from this location.
# Rib: Cuts from this area include the rib eye roast, rib roast and rib eye steak.
# Plate: Cuts from this area include the flank steak and skirt steak.
# Short Loin: Cuts from this area include the tenderloin roast, top loin steak and T-Bone steak.
# Flank: Cuts from this area include the flank steak and skirt steak.
# Sirloin: Cuts from this area include the top sirloin steak and sirloin roast.
# Tenderloin: Cuts from this area include fillet mignon and tenderloin roast.
# Bottom Sirloin: Cuts from this area include the bottom sirloin steak.
# Round: Cuts from this area include the top round roast, bottom round roast, tri-tip and round steak.
# Shank: Shank crosscut meat is cut from this location.

The skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate (belly) primal cut. It is a long, flat cut that is flavorful, but tougher than most other steak cuts. As a result, skirt steak is often marinated.

It is the cut of choice for making fajitas ("little belts" or "sashes" in Spanish), the Northern Mexican arrachera dish, Cornish pasties and Chinese stir-fry. Skirt steaks are usually marinated and braised over low heat or grilled. Skirt steak should be sliced across the grain for serving. For Mexican cuisine, the skirt steak should be mechanically tenderized before preparation.

In the United States, whole skirt steak has the meat-cutting classification NAMP 121. The more tender inner skirt (NAMP 121D) is attached to the rib cage (ribs 6-12), while the tougher outer skirt (NAMP 121C) consists of the diaphragm muscle and an attached thick membrane which must be removed before cooking.

Since the mid 90s, Skirt steak has become increasingly more expensive due to the popularity of Mexican cuisine throughout the world and particularly in the United States and Canada

thispego
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
bleh. sugar and meat do not mix

thispego
10-03-2009, 10:15 AM
that's mexican shit. you a mexican bishop ryan?

CosmicCowboy
10-03-2009, 10:23 AM
bleh. sugar and meat do not mix

:lol

Oh, you are SOOOOOOO wrong.

BacktoBasics
10-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Sugar and beef don't really mix unless its in super moderation. Sugar and pork work very well together.

mookie2001
10-03-2009, 10:57 AM
i wouldnt question thispego on any subject involving meat or grills or sauces or rubs or spices

the dude is the tiger woods of outdoor cooking

CosmicCowboy
10-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Almost all good brisket rubs have at least some brown sugar in them.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-03-2009, 11:07 AM
My uncle bitches like no other how expensive skirts are getting....he says how back when he was a kid, it was the go-to cut for poor folk and fajitas were the norm for dinner because the butchers never gave a shit about beef skirts, it was considered crap and they'd basically be throwing it away if they didn't sell it for pennies.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Then again, maybe the seller just needed more money, so they raised the price, like a banker raises fees, because they can.

Your Democraptic buddies in D.C. voted for it too. LMAO, blame it on Bush. Weak croutons.

BacktoBasics
10-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Almost all good brisket rubs have at least some brown sugar in them.
I add a small amount to anything cooked slow. If I'm grilling I rarely use sugars with the exception of pork chops and pork riblets.

Slomo
10-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks CC and Ginofan.

I'm going to attack my butcher with print outs of your posts :tu

thispego
10-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Oh, you are SOOOOOOO wrong.

hey, call me crazy for not wanting my meat to taste like candy.

moderation is fine. maybe like 1/100 of your rub can be sugar

BacktoBasics
10-03-2009, 12:23 PM
hey, call me crazy for not wanting my meat to taste like candy.

moderation is fine. maybe like 1/100 of your rub can be sugarA small amount of carmelization goes a long way in enhancing your other spices while giving a nice sear or slight crust on some meats. Hardly tastes like candy.

1/10 to 1/5 of the total rub is about right depending on what you're putting together.

mookie2001
10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
but you like that chocolate flavored brew right?

CosmicCowboy
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
A small amount of carmelization goes a long way in enhancing your other spices while giving a nice sear or slight crust on some meats. Hardly tastes like candy.

1/10 to 1/5 of the total rub is about right depending on what you're putting together.

Exactly. I mix my (about 1/5 brown sugar) dry rub with worchestershire till it becomes a thick paste then drop the briskets in the pit for a long slow cook...it makes a wonderful non-sweet bark after 12 hours or so.

thispego
10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
A small amount of carmelization goes a long way in enhancing your other spices while giving a nice sear or slight crust on some meats. Hardly tastes like candy.

i get my carmelization elsewhere

thispego
10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
but you like that chocolate flavored brew right?

im down with choco stout

florige
10-04-2009, 12:03 AM
Your Democraptic buddies in D.C. voted for it too. LMAO, blame it on Bush. Weak croutons.

So much for my blame it on Obama argument.

mouse
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
i wouldnt question thispego on any subject involving meat or rubs the dude is the wood

I'm sure after looking at his gtg picture he knows a thing or two about rubbing his meat.

Hey CC there has to be a low income part of town go to that HEB compare the prices. (for shits and giggles) I have noticed a bottle of Thunderbird wine cost more on the east side of San Antonio I am sure there is a reason for it.

Bigzax
10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
well done with a beer please...

mouse
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
After 11 beers you really think poeple give a shit if you soaked your meat in in gold bullion? meat is just meat when your drunk. I have seen Bigzax accidentally eat one of LJ's expensive beer coasters when he grabbed a taco at the last gtg it didn't stop him for a second. What amazes me is finding out how many club posters know so much about rubbing meat. I thought by now GayAbc would have chimed in already!

johnsmith
10-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Granzine's in New Braunfels FTW!

Sportcamper
10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
NY Steak $13 per pound (@ Costco)…Seriously, why is this…Do we have a shortage of cows?

CosmicCowboy
10-13-2009, 12:32 PM
NY Steak $13 per pound (@ Costco)…Seriously, why is this…Do we have a shortage of cows?

If you want a serious answer, the ethanol subsidies have driven the price of corn through the roof and beef has gotten much more expensive to produce.

Sportcamper
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Lamb & pork have not raised in price like steak….I got to the check out & three NY’s were $35.00…What the heck? When did NY’s go from $6 a pound to $13 a pound…?

CosmicCowboy
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
California probably put a carbon tax on beef.

Sportcamper
10-20-2009, 12:22 PM
I know that everybody was waiting for an update on the price of steak dilemma…Well it turns out that the NY’s @ 13.99 per pound were actually “Prime”…The "select" grade is $6.99 per pound…Costco has never offered Prime cuts before so I did not notice until I went to cook them…Darn good cut of beef…

xellos88330
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM