PDA

View Full Version : NBA To Players: Sit Down, If You Wouldn't Mind

duncan228
10-02-2009, 04:42 PM
NBA to players: Sit down, if you wouldn't mind (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/NBA-to-players-Sit-down-if-you-wouldn-t-mind;_ylt=Arfd34Up.h6rwHoEsVIBdT68vLYF?urn=nba,193 727)
By Kelly Dwyer
Ball Don't Lie

I'm a stander.

I have bad knees and have to wear expensive inserts in my shoes to keep that plantar tendon from ballooning to the size of a medium-pace dirigible, but I like to stand, more than sit. When I'm really paying attention to a game, like a playoff battle, I'll stand. At a pub, I stand. Call me crazy, but also call me upright.

So I can understand why the bench, not benched, players on various NBA teams like to stand as they exhort their teammates from the sideline.

I can understand why a coach would prefer to stand and pace around the court, even if they're not calling a play. It's nervous energy, it's more comfortable, and it's not really hurting anyone.

Except it is, actually. And standing on the sidelines, more or less, has been banned by the NBA. If you're not in the game, and you're not participating in an impromptu celebration, you need to sit. League rules. Fans asked for it, the NBA delivered it.

Mike McGraw of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald (http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2692) (via '64 and Counting (http://www.clevescene.com/64-and-counting/archives/2009/10/02/nba-to-benches-sit-down)), spearheaded the movement to get players to sit. And I agree with him, even though I'm a stander. And it's not because I'm a former resident of Arlington Heights.

Not to get too haughty, but these are paying customers. Not only are they contributing to the ticket revenue, but their eyes are what drives ad sales at home, making it possible for the NBA to sell TV rights to its games for a stiff price, making it possible for the standers in question to make millions of dollars. Even if they play five minutes a game, every two weeks.

And really, that's a house of cards I'd rather not mess with. I just drove around listening to some AM radio cats slightly mock the selling of ads on WNBA jerseys. In times like these - in any time, really - we need those advertisers. Sure, to paraphrase Bill Hicks, advertising executives are quite loathsome, to say the least. But they also make it so that you can read this website, for free. And make it possible for me to listen to those AM radio chatters, for free.

And if they go away, we're in trouble. And the people that shell out hundreds upon hundreds of dollars to see a game that they could easily experience in the comfort of their own home, for a fraction of the price, with a hundred camera angles and instant analysis, in HD, with the ability to fast-forward and rewind, with cheaper snacks, more comfortable seats, and their lovely better half at their side? If they suddenly decide en masse to stop coming out? Uh oh. Then every team, your favorite team, turns into the Grizzlies.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, yes, sit down, NBA players. Don't make us all root for the Grizzlies.

Grizzlies benchwarmers? Go ahead and stand (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLcPNhORg_Y). You're not blocking anyone's view.

Mavs_man_41
10-02-2009, 05:14 PM
umm...okay?

angelbelow
10-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Makes sense lol

redzero
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I guess he's got a point.

-gj0achocYY

duncan228
10-06-2009, 04:42 PM
NBA to the Cavaliers' bench: Down in front! New rules aim to keep reserves in their seats (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/10/nba_to_the_cavaliers_bench_dow.html)
By Brian Windhorst
Cleveland Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cavaliers upset plenty of fans at visiting arenas last season and not just because they had the best road record in team history.

In an effort to build team chemistry and simply to show support, the Cavs' bench often took to standing during large segments of games last season. Though they don't fully admit it, it may have been based on the Celtics from the 2007-08 season when, in a show of solidarity, their bench stood nearly the entire way to an NBA title.

But this was not popular with fans behind the benches or those sitting in the unfortunate corners whose line of sight was often blocked. For the most part those are high-dollar seats, triple figures in many arenas, and fans' complaints were frequent. That even included some season-ticket holders at The Q, who sometimes had to watch the game on the main video board, unless they wanted to stare at players' backs.

The league office heard them and is now taking action.

The NBA has issued a memo to its teams directing players on the bench to remain seated during games. Game officials will be keeping a closer eye and will issue faster warnings and possible technical fouls if not followed. Players are permitted to cheer, but standing during regular-game action and blocking the fans' views apparently isn't going to be allowed.

That goes for Tuesday night's first preseason game at The Q, where the Cavs will host the Charlotte Bobcats in the first of eight practice games before the season opener.

The Cavs weren't exactly thrilled that their custom has been legislated.

"It is hard to take that out of the game," LeBron James said. "Part of the game is emotions, your teammates are all you have. That was part of the reason we played great basketball, because we cheered each other."

It is yet to be seen just how strict the league will be. If past history is any indication, it may turn into a crackdown early in the season to set a tone.

"We're going to have to figure it out, it is going to be a fine line," Daniel Gibson said. "Last year we tried to have a college atmosphere."

That is well intentioned, but the fans near the bench aren't paying college prices or willing to accept obstructed views.

"Maybe it will lighten up after a while," James said. "Like with the dress code."

Allanon
10-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Saw this just tonight, thought I was crazy but others noticed it too.

Lakers in full compliance with Stern:

lNhio7AV3Ok

EricB
10-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Good.

The people that paid good money for those seats couldn't see shit behind those guys.

TJastal
10-23-2009, 01:42 AM
"It is hard to take that out of the game," LeBron James said. "Part of the game is emotions, your teammates are all you have. That was part of the reason we played great basketball, because we cheered each other."

And the reason your getting paid are all those people sitting behind you and your fucking asshole teammates.

usdane
10-23-2009, 04:47 AM
Fact remains, LeBron >>> Kobe.

Fact remains Kobe :lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt: Lebroom 0

Culburn369
10-23-2009, 06:13 AM
Fact remains, LeBron >>> Kobe.

LeBron buckling in Florida notwithstanding.

tee, hee.

wanggi
10-23-2009, 06:22 AM
Duncan > Coldbee

tee,hee.

Culburn369
10-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Duncan > Coldbee

tee,hee.

Not according to The Sporting News.

tee, hee.

wanggi
10-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Not according to The Sporting News.

tee, hee.

"Cubby is 15-time NBA World champion" ain't according the Sporting News and any authories either .

tee, hee.

KidCongo
10-23-2009, 07:51 AM
LeBron buckling in Florida notwithstanding.

tee, hee.

LeBron personally choked against the Magic. Obviously the teams defense was perfect and it came down to LeBron's in-efficiency and bad play with the ball that cost the Cavaliers the series.

ploto
10-23-2009, 08:00 AM
To make more money the NBA teams have crammed the seats so close to the bench that there really is not enough room for the players anymore.

It has never bothered me because if the game is exciting enough for the players to be standing, I am already standing, as well.

angel_luv
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
It has never bothered me because if the game is exciting enough for the players to be standing, I am already standing, as well.

I agree.

TJastal
10-23-2009, 02:41 PM
To make more money the NBA teams have crammed the seats so close to the bench that there really is not enough room for the players anymore.

Problem is, most normal people are > 6 feet tall, unlike nba players who are probably on average a half a foot taller.

Agloco
10-23-2009, 03:43 PM
The more he talks, the more you realize how dumb he is.

You and LeBron are more alike than you realize then.

Problem is, most normal people are > 6 feet tall, unlike nba players who are probably on average a half a foot taller.

< 6 feet tall that is.