PDA

View Full Version : Andre Miller is just being Andre Miller

tlongII
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
http://www.columbian.com/article/20091002/SPORTS01/710029941

Andre Miller looked more like a boxer than a basketball player.

A white towel was draped over his head; soft cloth covered his wild hair, obscured his eyes.

And he stood in the middle of the ring, head pointed downward, taking blows.

What is up with your hair, Andre?

Why don't you like talking to the media, Andre?

Why are you so quiet?

Are you always this moody?

Is it going to work out with Brandon Roy?

Questions poured in for Portland's new point guard to answer Wednesday at the Blazers' practice facility in Tualatin, Ore. Questions poured down again Thursday.

Blow after blow after inquisitive blow.

But Miller stood his ground. Stayed strong. The fighter never flinched, never wavered.

The 33-year-old, 10-year NBA veteran has been at it forever. And he's been through so much. Why change now?

Miller doesn't do drama. He doesn't do off-the-court politics. Rumors, whispers and new-media questions hold no weight in his world.

"I don't have time at this stage in my career to be making a fuss over all the extra stuff," Miller said.

Miller grew up in Los Angeles, Calif. And he didn't do Hollywood; he did Compton. And he made it out.

Next, college ball at the couldn't-be-more-different University of Utah. Miller rose up again. Again, he made it out.

Then, the pros. Four teams in 10 seasons, despite never averaging less than 11.1 points, 5.8 assists and 3.4 rebounds in a single campaign.

Now, the Blazers.

Nate McMillan said he has total faith in Miller. Portland's coach — a darn fine NBA point guard back in the day — said Miller is reminiscent of top-tier former NBA point guards who spoke with their eyes and their hands — not their mouth. McMillan referenced John Stockton. He even name-dropped himself, smiling at the same time.

In Miller, McMillan said he sees an on-the-court quarterback. A player who knows how to run things, and how to find people.

If a teammate is down or out of touch, Miller will lift them up, McMillan said. If a teammate is slacking, Miller will call them out.

Three days into the Blazers' 2009-10 training camp, Miller has yet to disappoint.

When it matters — when the ball is bouncing and the sneakers are sliding — Miller has been the loudest Blazer on the court.

"I got the ball," he shouted Thursday.

"Five seconds! Switch it up. Switch it up!"

He issued commands, sent out directives and put people in position, like a general.

"I'm trying to help those guys get better," Miller said. "And any way I can do that by making passes, they just have to have their eyes open."

Miller has already opened the eyes of McMillan and Roy. And, right now, those are the only people Miller should worry about trying to impress. The Blazers are run by McMillan, and run through Roy. Everything and everyone else is secondary.

The media doesn't matter. The questions don't matter. The noise and lights and hard glare are meaningless.

"I don't really get caught up in off-the-court politics and all the extra stuff," Miller said. "Just come to work, put in the time and go home."

Focused, hard, true work — who can complain?

Everything should work out fine for Miller and the black and red.

If it doesn't, he'll survive.

So will Rip City.

And Miller will still be Miller.

Always.