PDA

View Full Version : Toros Staff Member to Participate in Local Player Tryouts

spursincharge
10-02-2009, 10:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/091002_hoop_dreams.html

Hoop Dreams or Nightmares: Time Will Tell
By Allen Schlesinger

Many have dreamed of playing basketball at the highest level. From trying to duplicate Michael Jordan’s famous jumper that finished off the Utah Jazz in the 1998 NBA Finals to dominating the paint with Tim Duncan in NBA 2K9, this is as close as most basketball fans will ever get to living the dream of playing at the highest level.
On Saturday, I will walk onto a basketball court and join the ranks of players with big hopes and dreams. At Concordia University on Saturday, I will participate in the Austin Toros Open Tryouts. Sure I’m only 1 out of 100. But that 1% represents a bigger chance than most will ever come to tasting an NBA opportunity. I will be evaluated by the Austin Toros coaching staff. I will hustle and try my best to avoid getting posterized or stuffed into oblivion.

In past years in the Austin area, tryout players from all shapes and sizes have come out to pursue their NBA dream. At 5 foot 9 and 150 pounds, my dreams are still a reality. Seriously…and no judging please.

Trying out for a basketball team is not a new idea for me. When I was the Sports Editor of the UTSA Newspaper back in 2005, I pondered the same idea and wrote about it:

See Column Here: http://www.paisano-online.com/2.836/you-would-1.28749

I should have learned my lesson from that experience. But I didn’t.

Many do not realize the high level of play involved in the open player tryouts. Some think they are trying out for a rec league, not understanding that the NBA Developmental League is the highest level of basketball outside of the NBA.

So stay tuned for details on how my day went and wish me well or pray…whichever sounds more reasonable.

nuclearfm
10-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Eh, I wish I could try out, it's just expensive and out of my way. I'd get everyone tired as hell.

ducks
10-02-2009, 11:14 PM
it might be out of the way but so is getting trained to get a job