PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Take Swine Flu Precautions

duncan228
10-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Spurs take swine flu precautions (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_take_swine_flu_precautions.html)
Jeff McDonald

The Spurs have added a new piece to their training camp routine: Sanitize, sanitize, sanitize.

Amid fears about the spread of the H1N1 virus, team officials have ensured that while in the practice gym no player will ever be more than a few feet away from a bottle of hand sanitizer.

There is one posted at or near each of the six baskets, plus bottles stationed in the locker rooms and weight rooms. Players are encouraged to sanitize often.

It is the most tangible precaution the Spurs are taking to combat swine flu.

“All we're trying to do is be a little more cautious,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “We're wiping down things more often. We're trying to be as anal about that stuff as we can. After that, whatever happens, happens.”

Tony and the oldies: The Spurs finished Friday's workout with a spirited full-court scrimmage, but not every player was allowed to participate.

On the opposite court, barely breaking a sweat while shooting free throws, were every Spurs player older than 31 — plus point guard Tony Parker.

“I'm always with the old guys,” Parker said.

Parker, 27, spent his offseason playing with the French national team, which he means he now spends a good deal of his practice time with other players who require the occasional low-impact workout.

On Friday, that meant free-throw time alongside Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Antonio McDyess, Michael Finley and Theo Ratliff.

Parker said he understood the decision to hold him out of Friday's scrimmage.

“It's a long season, and we want to play deep into the playoffs,” Parker said. “We're going to have to make sure everybody — myself, Manu and Timmy — stays healthy for the entire season.”

A summer too late: Ginobili was heartened by Friday's announcement that Rio de Janeiro had been chosen to host the 2016 Olympics, saying he was happy to see Games headed to South America.

Just don't expect to see him suit up for his native Argentina in Brazil.

“I'll be 39 years old,” Ginobili said, “so I don't think I'm going to play.”

Can't hardly wait: No player is looking forward to Sunday's open intrasquad scrimmage more than Ginobili. It will mark his first game in public since a stress fracture in his right leg ended his 2008-09 season on April 5.

“I get excited every time I get to scrimmage in here,” Ginobili said. “So imagine how it's going to be in front of our fans, and people I haven't seen in six months. It's going to be special for me.”

Must-see TV: The Spurs will broadcast 73 of their games locally in high-definition this season, including 50 on Fox Sports Net. KMYS and KENS will split the remaining 23.

Spurs Brazil
10-03-2009, 08:02 AM
Just don't expect to see him suit up for his native Argentina in Brazil.

Too bad, I'd love to see Manu playing, even at 39

urunobili
10-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Too bad, I'd love to see Manu playing, even at 39

congrats Brazil happiness for you guys is all around the continent... bah'... argies at www.ole.clarin.com r feelig like losers though... lol

sonic21
10-03-2009, 08:49 AM
yes Congrats!! Good for Rio. South America deserved it.

raspsa
10-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Crazy as it sounds, if manu is in good health in 2016, I think there is a good chance he might play. I don't think the NT would turn him down if he put in a request. He will still have some game left in him and his leadership and impact on morale would be immeasureable. If his body is up to it...

thispego
10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
jeff mcdonald is retarded. i guess he was the one that asked tony about what precautions they were taking over the swine flu. Who gives a shit, Jeff?

completely deck
10-03-2009, 12:28 PM
jeff mcdonald is retarded. i guess he was the one that asked tony about what precautions they were taking over the swine flu. Who gives a shit, Jeff?

Well, people will care when a key player is sitting out because of terrible sanitary practices.

ALTHOUGH, for healthy adults, even getting H1N1 will be like every other cold. The people who should worry are young children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with poor health. Just like any other potentially dangerous sickness.

manu_maniac
10-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Parker didn't give a shit about H1N1 in yesterday's interview.:lol

EricB
10-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Who gives a shit if you give a shit?

Don;t like it? don't fucking read.

thispego
10-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, people will care when a key player is sitting out because of terrible sanitary practices.

ALTHOUGH, for healthy adults, even getting H1N1 will be like every other cold. The people who should worry are young children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with poor health. Just like any other potentially dangerous sickness.

i think we all know how to avoid getting sick. hand sanitizer is not some new thing that just came out.

angelbelow
10-03-2009, 01:24 PM
That's good that they are taking precautions, afterall, getting sick would be "unhealthy."

thispego
10-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Who gives a shit if you give a shit?

Don;t like it? don't fucking read.

if only i could unread things i dont like

TIMMYD!
10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
We can't let some dumbass flu take away our season.

boutons_deux
10-03-2009, 03:03 PM
They otta get some of this "fetid ass" stuff.

Traditional Plant Medicine Could Cure H1N1 Flu Virus, Chinese Scientists Find

"the sap of the Ferula assa-foetida has such a bad smell that sometimes it is called the "Dung of the Devil" plant."

http://www.naturalnews.com/027157_H1N1_medicine_plant_medicine.html

TMTTRIO
10-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Crazy as it sounds, if manu is in good health in 2016, I think there is a good chance he might play. I don't think the NT would turn him down if he put in a request. He will still have some game left in him and his leadership and impact on morale would be immeasureable. If his body is up to it...

Manu said he'll not play but he said he would be there. I can't ever see him going into coaching but I could see him involved someway with the NT in the future.