PDA

View Full Version : Finley says TD is the 14th most athletic Spur

raspsa
10-03-2009, 12:28 AM
.. but as a joke to reporters during a training camp interview.

in response to a question about all the younger and more athletic players joining the etam, Finley said that when he joined the Spurs he was the 2nd most athletic but now he was bumped down to 13th so he was glad that Timmy was still on th team..:lol

iManu
10-03-2009, 12:35 AM
I wonder if he really believes he's down there. I know, when I saw him play the baby Bulls in like.. umm... 2003-4 or so, he had 27 and was BY FAR the best basketball player on the court.

BY FAR.

ducks
10-03-2009, 12:40 AM
he by far played to many minutes last year

Libri
10-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Second most athletic? Here is the roster when he arrived, 2005-06.

Brent Barry
Bruce Bowen
Tim Duncan
Michael Finley
Manu Ginobili
Robert Horry
Sean Marks
Nazr Mohammed
Rasho Nesterovic
Fabricio Oberto
Tony Parker
Melvin Sanders
Alex Scales
Beno Udrih
Nick Van Exel

Danny.Zhu
10-03-2009, 01:22 AM
I guess he meant Tony was the most athletic.

phyzik
10-03-2009, 01:38 AM
People are way too critical when it comes to Finley, and that includes myself, but the guy still has something to give....... As long as he is not getting big minutes.

You lose athleticism and explosiveness at that age but you NEVER lose your shooting skill as long as you are practicing. He is still usefull in spot minutes provided Pop uses him as such. I just think Pop felt he didnt have a choice last year. Now he does. Its up to him (Pop) to prove he isnt having an affair with Finley this year.

I really think Finley has a few of those magical game in him that elevates us, ala Robert Horry. Provided he is used sparringly of course. If Pop uses him extensively, I will be just as pissed as any other Spurs fan.

Pucho!!!
10-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Second most athletic? Here is the roster when he arrived, 2005-06.

Brent Barry
Bruce Bowen
Tim Duncan
Michael Finley
Manu Ginobili
Robert Horry
Sean Marks
Nazr Mohammed
Rasho Nesterovic
Fabricio Oberto
Tony Parker
Melvin Sanders
Alex Scales
Beno Udrih
Nick Van Exel

He'd be the 3rd behind Manu and Parker I think

Obstructed_View
10-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Finley thinks there's someone below him on that list? :lol

Rummpd
10-03-2009, 07:24 AM
As usual it is all in one defines the term - in truth it should not just be about pure running and jumping ability, but also hand to eye coordination, awareness, the ability to make subtle adjustments athetically on a shot or on a block etc. etc and Duncan has those traits in excess of many others - he was also a near world class swimmmer and I will bet in his prime he was a hell of a lot better "pure athlete" than many give him credit for as he could run the floor with any big man in the game. Another example is Steve Nash who can dribble a basketball with his feet and has incredible hand to eye coordination and touch - all true attributes.

Steve-O-Matic
10-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Let's face it, Tim Duncan is one of the least athletic superstars the NBA has ever seen. Now that's not to say that he's basketball's version of Steve Balboni, but there's no denying that TD is not particularly fast or explosive, is certainly not a leaper, and doesn't have a defined muscle in his entire body. Finley's comment was only partially tounge-in-cheek.

HarlemHeat37
10-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Duncan in his prime WAS athletic though, and that's the thing people seem to forget..he definitely isn't one of the least athletic superstars IMO..he's similar to Kareem in that regard..

manu_maniac
10-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Hey, let's not go too far here. He's no Round Mound of Rebound.

TIMMYD!
10-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Does it matter?
He's the best. Ever. Power. Forward.

greyforest
10-03-2009, 10:16 PM
tim's game relies on game, not atheleticism