PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blazers notes: Brandon Roy and Andre Miller develop chemistry

tlongII
10-03-2009, 06:47 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/trail_blazers_notes_brandon_ro.html

October 02, 2009, 4:22PM
The Trail Blazers’ marquee player and marquee free agent acquisition finally played in the same lineup during Friday’s practice, and early indications are that the duo’s on-court chemistry is solid.

Brandon Roy and Andre Miller played in the same backcourt for most of practice, running through drills, workouts and full-court scrimmages with a lineup that also featured Travis Outlaw, Juwan Howard and Greg Oden.

Roy said he and Miller formed an instant connection and the team “didn’t miss a beat” with them on the court together. Roy also praised the point guard’s unselfish play, deft passing, strong defense, versatility and basketball IQ. The chemistry between these two stars is one of the most pressing issues of training camp and Roy said a bond might develop faster than some expect.

“I liked it; I liked it,” Roy said. “I don’t think it’s going to be nearly as hard as people think. I think it’s going to be pretty simple. It was the first day, but there wasn’t even a moment where I was like, ‘All right, this might be a struggle.’ It was pretty cool from the jump. Even (Thursday) night, when we were going over plays (in the same unit), I was like, ‘This is flowing ... really smooth.’”

Roy, who is strongest with the ball in his hands, said Miller insisted that Roy run the offense on several occasions Friday and then flourished as an off guard. More than once, Roy said, he handled the ball in half-court sets and registered an assist by passing to a cutting Miller for a layup.

“People think he’s a ball-dominant point guard, but he’s not,” Roy said. “I remember watching him last year. There were times when Andre would handle it and times when (someone else) would come in … and handle it. Andre just kind of plays. He doesn’t have to have (the ball). A couple times today, he was like, ‘You take the point.’ I was like, ‘Cool.’ That’s what I kind of wanted to see, because (Steve) Blake lets me do that. I kind of like a point guard that let’s me have (the ball) sometimes.”

Roy said he is starting to see the benefits of playing alongside Miller. Both can post up on offense, both excel off the pick and roll and both can initiate offense. What’s more, Roy said, Miller’s defensive versatility is an asset because he can not only contain point guards, but shooting guards and some small forwards, as well.

It was only their first workout together, but Roy left impressed and, more importantly, encouraged.

Exhibition importance

As McMillan mixes and matches different lineup combinations and experiments with his roster in an attempt to create his regular season rotations, an underlying fact guides his decision-making process: Training camp will not resolve position battles, but exhibition games likely will.

“Training camp is hard,” he said. “You don’t get that correct read. We’re playing so many different combinations and we need to get a look at different guys. You can’t really get a feel during training camp.”

Plus, McMillan said, games — even exhibition games — provide a more accurate gauge of on-court chemistry and reveal more about a player’s ability than practice.

“Out here (in practice) you can’t tell,” he said. “There are guys who play well here, and then when the popcorn starts to pop, they’re a different player. Practice is one thing and you want to go hard and work hard out here and try to get work done. But then, some of these guys, when the lights go on, things change.”

McMillan insists that he is no where near settling on a first or second unit and will continue to tinker until the regular season. The group that started most of last season and opened camp as the de facto first unit —Blake, Roy, Nicolas Batum, LaMarcus Aldridge and Joel Przybilla — will start Tuesday’s exhibition opener against the Sacramento Kings. But that probably will change one night later, when the Blazers play at Sacramento, because McMillan wants to dabble with different lineups throughout the exhibition season.

21_Blessings
10-03-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY06eaFaplw

Spursfan092120
10-03-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY06eaFaplw
I don't normally say this about your posts...but this pretty much made me lose it.. :lmao:lmao

Spursfan092120
10-03-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.clubblazers.com/