PDA

View Full Version : NBA TV: lakers with BIG line up

SamoanTD
10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I was watching NBA TV and they had the lakers training camp and they been showing it for a couple days now. On the program they said the laker wanna run a BIG lineup (not there starting line up bt something there gna try)
pg-kobe
sg-ron ron
sf-odom
pf-pau
c-bynum

how do u guys think the spurs would counter this lineup?

MaNu4Tres
10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
PG-Manu
SG- ( Mason, Bogans, Finley)
SF- Jefferson
PF-Tim
C-Dyess or Ratliff

I'd love to include Parker but he would ultimately have to guard Kobe or Artest on the defensive end. That would be a nightmare especially if they put Tony on the block.

That lineup of the Lakers would be a tough matchup for any team.

If we turned Finley/ Bonner or Mason/ Bonner into Nocioni down the road we could match up with that line up a lot better.

PG- Manu
SG- Jefferson
SF- Nocioni
PF-Tim
C- Dyess or Ratliff

SamoanTD
10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
same thing i wuz thinking that lineup is pretty nasty bt i knw it sounds kinda dumb rite nw bt maybe just maybe if haislip can bring sum D to the spurs id like him on odom bt we have yet to see wat he can do bt if hes anything like the clips ive seen lol id put

manu
jefferson
haislip
TD
ratliff

bt thats only if haislip can bring sumthing

Rummpd
10-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Pop would based on past history go small and try quick them to death - Duncan, Manu, Parker, Jefferson and Hill for a least part of the time.

SamoanTD
10-03-2009, 05:57 PM
so u think pop would continually change the lineup with all those guys on da court?

SCdac
10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
If the Lakers put that lineup out there, give Tony Parker the ball and let him go to work.

Behrooz24
10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Finley
Finley
Finley
Finley
Finley

21_Blessings
10-03-2009, 06:12 PM
If the Lakers put that lineup out there, give Tony Parker the ball and let him go to work.

Work what? He'd just run into three seven footers inside and have to shoot jumpers over Kobe Bryant. Meanwhile TP gets posted up all day by Kobe or Ron.

PGDynasty24
10-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Work what? He'd just run into three seven footers inside and have to shoot jumpers over Kobe Bryant. Meanwhile TP gets posted up all day by Kobe or Ron.

thats what i was thinking. if they put parker out there,kobe or ron would just manhandle TP for a easy layup every single play

SCdac
10-03-2009, 06:21 PM

3 seven footers?

I don't think anyone in that lineup is keeping up with Parker. It would be important for Parker (and SA) to make Kobe work on the defensive end, and exploit that matchup as much as possible.

As far as the other way around, Parker would have trouble.

HarlemHeat37
10-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Odom can't play SF anymore, he doesn't have any quickness on the perimeter at all anymore..that lineup wouldn't have any spacing for the Lakers on offense..on defense, they'd be tough inside, but they would be allowing a lot of good perimeter shots, which happens in their system either way..

It would also take away from their depth, since their bench is pretty bad without Odom there..this also makes Bynum a lot less effective..

I really don't see why the Lakers would do this for a significant amount of time..the only thing good about it is how it looks on paper IMO..

outmap
10-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Hill (Kobe)
Jefferson (Ron)
Haislip (Odom)
McDyess (Gasol)
Tim (Bynum)

10-03-2009, 06:37 PM
spurs have a big lineup of their own. ginboili, bogans, jefferson, duncan, and mcdyess would do quite well. the addition of jefferson actually provides the spurs with someone to guard more athletic power forwards. iirc, jefferson is a pretty good post defender and he is 6'8 with a 7 feet wingspan. if he doesn't work out, haislip might be able to play some 3 against odom.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2009, 06:38 PM
I'd love to see that lineup scramble to chase Parker around, and all the dunks the Spurs would get as a result.

21_Blessings
10-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Hill (Kobe)
Jefferson (Ron)
Haislip (Odom)
McDyess (Gasol)
Tim (Bynum)

Lakers would win by at least 20 if Pop fielded that lineup for very long.

ElNono
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Artest needs to play a lot of minutes, and above all, do what he does best: chuck a lot of ill advised shots... I'll be more worried about matchups when he's sitting on the bench...

HarlemHeat37
10-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Pop isn't stupid enough to actually assign a specific matchup priority for Lamar Odom..I don't know where the myth came from that Odom is a mismatch against the Spurs, he really isn't..he's never had significant games against us..he shot 40% in the playoff series in 2008 and averaged almost 3 turnovers, and this was playing a lot of matchups against Oberto..

he can't create offense for himself or for others..he's a good player because he can rebound and defends well, but he's not a guy you plan for at all IMO..

iggypop123
10-03-2009, 07:19 PM
both lineups will never happen

SamoanTD
10-03-2009, 07:33 PM
both lineups will never happen

jus reportin wat they said

mystargtr34
10-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Why would Pop respond to that line up by taking out the Spurs biggest matchup advantage in Parker. Parker would get into the lane every single trip up the floor, then who helps? If Bynum comes, McDyess is money from anywhere within 18 feet, if Pau comes, Duncan gets a dunk or a layin, or your leave Jefferson or Manu open for 3.

If Kobe takes Parker to the post, you double off Artest and Odom and let them jack 20 footers all night long - Artest needs to initiate the offense to really hurt you, which if it happens regularly is a good thing for the opposition - the less opportunities for Kobe and Pau to create, the better.

That lineup looks nice on paper, but i dont think you will see it against the Spurs. Maybe the Celtics or Cavs - but then do you really want Artest playing off Kobe and Pau and making him a jump shooter?

spursfaninla
10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Going BIG for the Lakers is a gimmick, just like going smalll for the Spurs is. Lakers could have just as easily done it last year, right? I think they do not go to gimmick lineups because it would not work over significant minutes for various reasons.

The good point-forwards have been so venerated historically because they are rare. Having the best passing and fastest player (pg) on the court against a taller, slower opponent has been proven to be a problem for the latter that is not worth the advantage in height you get from having two SG/sf and no pg's.

This is why the PG position still exists in the NBA. Don't you people think every team would be fielding all 6'6 and taller players otherwise? KOBE IS NO POINT GUARD.

10-03-2009, 08:53 PM
Going BIG for the Lakers is a gimmick, just like going smalll for the Spurs is. Lakers could have just as easily done it last year, right? I think they do not go to gimmick lineups because it would not work over significant minutes for various reasons.

The good point-forwards have been so venerated historically is because they are rare. Having the best passing and fastest player (pg) on the court against a taller, slower opponent has been proven to be a problem for the latter that is not worth the advantage in height you get from having two SG/sf and no pg's.

This is why the PG position still exists in the NBA. Don't you people think every team would be fielding all 6'6 and taller players on every team otherwise?
that's true. lakers had every opportunity to play big last season.

benefactor
10-03-2009, 08:55 PM
It doesn't matter. They will never actually use it in a game.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
With a Big lineup like that, I think Phil's come up with it specifically to counter the Spurs.

Fact is, even if the Lakers play a real point guard (Derek Fisher/Jordan Farmar), they're still going to get torched by Tony Parker. Lakers never had anybody to stop Tony in the first place.

What's Tony scored on Fisher and Farmar? 30, 40 points per game? :lol So they're not losing any defense by putting in a Big Lineup.

So this Big Lineup I think turns the tables and now it's Pop that has to adjust to the matchup. With Kobe as PG, he'd just back off of Tony and let him take 3's all day long. On offense, he'd be posting up Tony for 5-10 foot shots.

Lakers would be getting 5-10 foot shots by one of the best players in the game while giving up wide open 3's to Tony; thereby negating his best asset...speed.

It's a masterful move, and the trap for Pop would be to take out his 2nd/3rd best player just to matchup.

SamoanTD
10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
all very good points i guess i didnt think to much about the whole thing bt when they said dat i guess all i looked it wuz the hype the lakers team has lol

mfanatic
10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Simple,

Tony
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Mcdyess

Play a man oriented (kobe) ZONE defense.

I'll take Odom and Artest launching threes all day.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Simple,

Tony
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Mcdyess

With a healthy Bynum and Pau, a zone defense won't work if Parker is guarding Kobe. Kobe would be posting up Tony inside and either Tim or Dice would have to help. Both Pau and Bynum are considerably bigger than both Tim and Dice, Spurs helping on Kobe would only make their dunks more thunderous.

ooshmay
10-03-2009, 09:29 PM
We need to bring back shawn bradley.. 5 MORE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN SA

:lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2::lobt2:

ginobilized
10-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Full court press and a few traps and the Lakers bring in a point guard.

Danny.Zhu
10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I was watching NBA TV and they had the lakers training camp and they been showing it for a couple days now. On the program they said the laker wanna run a BIG lineup (not there starting line up bt something there gna try)
pg-kobe
sg-ron ron
sf-odom
pf-pau
c-bynum

I think we simply can not match up if Lakers put that line up. But, if they do so, Spurs' second unit will kill Laker's one.

So Hill(Kobe) Finley (Ron) Jefferson (Odom) Tim (Bynum) Dyess(Paul), with the aim to lose as little as possible. And a Tony+Manu second unit need to win as much as possible.

Sense
10-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Simple,

Tony
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Mcdyess

Allanon
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I think we simply can not match up if Lakers put that line up. But, if they do so, Spurs' second unit will kill Laker's one.

So Hill(Kobe) Finley (Ron) Jefferson (Odom) Tim (Bynum) Dyess(Paul), with the aim to lose as little as possible. And a Tony+Manu second unit need to win as much as possible.

I think you do have a valid point. Without Lamar, the Lakers bench would get killed by the Spurs bench. Lamar Odom shot a staggering 50% from 3 point range during the Playoffs and was a huge spark off the bench. Lakers bench really sucks without him.

That pretty much makes the Big lineup useless for most of the game.

I think the only time Philip can bring out this Big lineup is in the 4th quarter with 8 minutes left and the bench is done playing.

ps. Just wondering...you guys think Jefferson (a small forward) can guard Lamar Odom who's almost as big as Tim Duncan?

HarlemHeat37
10-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Lamar Odom doesn't have his own offensive game, Laker fans should obviously know that..he's a good finisher, but he can't create..he doesn't have the quickness to play SF anymore..even Laker fans were saying this all Summer when Portland was involved in rumors, but obviously they'll use it in a positive argument for their own team..

I wouldn't even mind putting Tony on him with this "big" lineup, since his only advantage would be taking him inside off the deep catch, which would result in Bynum and Gasol leaving the paint..Duncan can sag off Bynum and help deep all game, let him punish us from there..

Odom is irrelevant offensively unless he's finishing..he only concerns me with his rebounding and defense..he can have all the touches he wants offensively..

TD 21
10-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Simple,

Tony
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Mcdyess

You mean a box-and-1?

I agree. You never take out arguably your best scorer/2nd best player just to match-up with a team. I'd still play the Spurs five best players, only I'd mix in Hill more, sic him on Bryant and have him press him full court, harassing his every dribble, a la Hunter. Make him work to advance the ball past the time line and eat away precious seconds in order to give the Lakers less time to get a quality look once in the attack zone.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Lamar's problem has always been a lack of aggression. When he plays aggressively, he does have a very good offensive game.

If you watched him in the Playoffs, anytime the Jazz, Nuggets and Magic left him open, he made them pay (50% 3 pt shooting, 52%+ shooting on 2 point shots). The only bad series he had was against Luis Scola in the 2nd round. Overall, he was easily the 3rd best player on the Lakers on offense during the Playoffs.

TD 21
10-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Let's be honest. This lineup may sound imposing, but it'll more than likely rarely be used. Why, you ask? Because it lacks ball handling/facilitating/perimeter shooting, would likely lead to an excessive amount of turnovers and despite the considerable length that this lineup would posses, would get burned off the dribble by quick PG's even more than they already do. Essentially what this is is an admission that they're weak at PG and as such are attempting to concoct any type of lineup (within' some semblance of reason) that they can in order to avoid having the extremely mediocre threesome of Fisher-Farmar-Brown on the floor for long stretches.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Essentially what this is is an admission that they're weak at PG and as such are attempting to concoct any type of lineup (within' some semblance of reason) that they can in order to avoid having the extremely mediocre threesome of Fisher-Farmar-Brown on the floor for long stretches.

This is exactly why this lineup by Phil is so great. The Lakers PG position sucks as it is and would get burned by TP regardless. So why not turn that into an advantage the other way around?

If the Spurs play their 5 best players

Tony
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Mcdyess

Their speed advantage is only at the PG position...same as it would be if Fisher had to guard TP. No loss here.

But all of a sudden, Duncan has to guard Bynum who's alot bigger, Dice has to guard Pau who's bigger, Jefferson has to guard Lamar Odom who's alot bigger. Manu has to guard Artest who's friggin' huge and Kobe gets his revenge on Tony at the offensive end.

As for ball-handling, Kobe, Lamar and Pau are probably the 3 best ball-handlers and passers on the Lakers. Lamar last year was already the primary ball-handler when he was on the court as he typically plays point-forward.

With the Triangle, there's no need for a traditional PG, if you look at all of Phil's Chicago and LA teams, there was never an elite PG, he never needed one.

TD 21
10-03-2009, 11:25 PM
This is exactly why this lineup by Phil is so great. The Lakers PG position sucks as it is and would get burned by TP. So why not turn that into an advantage the other way around?

If the Spurs play their 5 best players

Tony
Manu
Jefferson
Duncan
Mcdyess

Their speed advantage is only at the PG position...same as it would be if Fisher had to guard TP. No loss here.

But all of a sudden, Jefferson has to guard Lamar Odom who's alot bigger. Manu has to guard Artest who's friggin' huge and Kobe gets his revenge on Tony at the offensive end.

As for ball-handling, Kobe, Lamar and Pau are probably the 3 best ball-handlers and passers on the Lakers. Lamar is a primary ball-handler when he's on the court as he typically plays point-forward.

But Fisher isn't the only PG who plays. Farmar and Brown are quicker than Bryant, Artest and Odom laterally and in this lineup one of them would have to guard Parker.

Ginobili may well guard Artest anyway, if the Spurs insist on having Jefferson be the primary Bryant defender. Theoretically, Ginobili should get torched in the post, but I don't mind this match-up, here's why: it means less ball time for the always seeking limelight Bryant. Can he really accept throwing the ball in the post to Artest, say 4-5 straight trips even if it's the proper play? I seriously doubt it and even if he does, all it means is he'll be taking less shots, which is another positive for the Spurs.

Farmar is a better ball handler than Gasol for sure. Overall though, this alignment doesn't posses enough ball handling to play long stretches together, I don't believe.

Not to go all Marc Jackson on you, but how many of these guys are willing passers? You need at least one perimeter player on the court who's willing to defer and play the spot up shooter role. Artest can't handle playing that type of role for long.

I know what the triangle entails, but the point remains: who will willingly defer? Be honest, how many of these guys would willingly take on a lesser offensive role, even if it was for the greater good of the team? They put up with it to some extent to win a championship. Now they're all paid and are all desperate for the spotlight. The whole lack of a true PG thing worked with guys like Harper and Shaw, because they understood and were content with their role.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 11:36 PM
But Fisher isn't the only PG who plays. Farmar and Brown are quicker than Bryant, Artest and Odom laterally and in this lineup one of them would have to guard Parker.

Ginobili may well guard Artest anyway, if the Spurs insist on having Jefferson be the primary Bryant defender. Theoretically, Ginobili should get torched in the post, but I don't mind this match-up, here's why: it means less ball time for the always seeking limelight Bryant. Can he really accept throwing the ball in the post to Artest, say 4-5 straight trips even if it's the proper play? I seriously doubt it and even if he does, all it means is he'll be taking less shots, which is another positive for the Spurs.

Farmar is a better ball handler than Gasol for sure. Overall though, this alignment doesn't posses enough ball handling to play long stretches together, I don't believe.

Not to go all Marc Jackson on you, but how many of these guys are willing passers? You need at least one perimeter player on the court who's willing to defer and play the spot up shooter role. Artest can't handle playing that type of role for long.

Farmar may be quick but he's defensively challenged for who knows what reason. Tony's eyes light up when he sees Farmar... so if the Lakers are going to get torched anyways, why not just let Kobe sag off of Tony Parker and let Tony become a jumpshooter?

The Lakers did something similar to this last year when they put Trevor Ariza on Tony Parker and Ariza's length bothered Tony.

Lamar I suspect would be the primary ball-handler, and that's what he did all last year, he's more than willing to pass...sometimes too willing. When Lamar's on the floor, he usually brings the ball up the court and initiates the offense. Agreed on Artest, he wants his touches. This is the kinder, gentler, team player Kobe..he averaged like 7 assists in the Finals versus 3 for the Magic Point guard.

If Tony Parker's guarding Kobe, you're gonna hear alot of "Mama there goes that man!" from Marc Jackson :lol

TD 21
10-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Farmar may be quick but he's defensively challenged for who knows what reason. Tony's eyes light up when he sees Farmar... so if the Lakers are going to get torched anyways, why not just let Kobe sag off of Tony Parker and let Tony become a jumpshooter?

The Lakers did something similar to this last year when they put Trevor Ariza on Tony Parker and Ariza's length bothered Tony.

Lamar I suspect would be the primary ball-handler, and that's what he did all last year, he's more than willing to pass...sometimes too willing. Agreed on Artest, he wants his touches. This is the kinder, gentler, team player Kobe..he averaged like 7 assists in the Finals versus 3 for the Magic Point guard.

If Tony Parker's guarding Kobe, you're gonna hear alot of "Mama there goes that man!" from Marc Jackson :lol

Good point. Quite honestly, the Lakers don't have an answer for Parker, so maybe at least trying this lineup for a stretch or two to make him work defensively in the post is the best way to go.

Ariza is longer and laterally quicker than Bryant.

Odom and Gasol would be willing to pass, as they always are, but the entire notion of these five playing together probably means an overall lack of ball movement. They all want touches and three of them like to massage the ball for long stretches. I could just picture Bynum not getting the ball 4 or 5 straight trips, then pouting and not guarding the rim and rebounding like he should.

Agreed.

I don't know, maybe it's all over analyzing anyway? The reality is, while the Lakers will undoubtedly present match-up challenges to the Spurs, so to will the Spurs to the Lakers. Name a team with a better perimeter scoring trio than Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson? Add to that the fact that Duncan is still the best low post scorer in the game and these four have a cadre of shooters surrounding them and you have one imposing lineup.

Allanon
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Good point. Quite honestly, the Lakers don't have an answer for Parker, so maybe at least trying this lineup for a stretch or two to make him work defensively in the post is the best way to go.

Ariza is longer and laterally quicker than Bryant.

Odom and Gasol would be willing to pass, as they always are, but the entire notion of these five playing together probably means an overall lack of ball movement. They all want touches and three of them like to massage the ball for long stretches. I could just picture Bynum not getting the more 4 or 5 straight trips, then pouting and not guarding the rim and rebounding like he should.

Agreed.

I don't know, maybe it's all over analyzing anyway? The reality is, while the Lakers will undoubtedly present match-up challenges to the Spurs, so to will the Spurs to the Lakers. Name a team with a better perimeter scoring trio than Parker-Ginobili-Jefferson? Add to that the fact that Duncan is still the best low post scorer in the game and these four have a cadre of shooters surrounding them and you have one imposing lineup.

I think we've covered most of the points and beaten this to death...should be interesting if Phil pulls it off.

I never said the Spurs would be chopped liver, hahah. Yes, the Spurs have a very good team this year. I personally think 1 of the 3 (Lakers, Spurs, Celtics) will win the ring this year. Of course, I think the Lakers have the best chance of the 3, but you'll have to cut me some slack for being a homer.

TD 21
10-03-2009, 11:52 PM
I think we've covered most of the points and beaten this to death...should be interesting if Phil pulls it off.

I never said the Spurs would be chopped liver, hahah. Yes, the Spurs have a very good team this year. I personally think 1 of the 3 (Lakers, Spurs, Celtics) will win the ring this year. Of course, I think the Lakers have the best chance of the 3, but you'll have to cut me some slack for being a homer.

Indeed. Unfortunately, it's not quite time to see how it'll all unfold, so they'll inevitably be many more discussions on the intricacies of this potential playoff match-up.

True, but I always see people talking about how imposing the Lakers lineup will be and insinuating "how will the Spurs stop them?" What I'm saying is the Lakers have to worry about stopping all of the Spurs weapons as well. I agree about those three being the primary contenders.

Spurm
10-04-2009, 12:59 AM
pg-kobe
sg-ron ron
sf-odom
pf-pau
c-bynum

They can't counter this lineup...they will experiment as usual...but never get a steady starting 5 AS USUAL!! bwahahahaha

Obstructed_View
10-04-2009, 02:11 AM
That's a heck of a talented lineup, though. Too bad there's only one basketball.

You play through gimmick lineups like that, because any advantage on one end is a disadvantage on the other, and any advantage by the lineup is negated when they have to rest. If Jackson uses that lineup, he'll throw it out at the beginning of the fourth quarter or something just to try to force the other team to react. Unfortunately, Pop always shrinks when Phil does that.

jason1301
10-04-2009, 02:28 AM
TP is going to kill that line up. Here is how you counter;

TP Hill Bogans Blair and Theo

That's enough defense to keep the game close. Scoring will came easier from Tony, Hill and Blair.

Our second unit of Manu Mason RJ Dice and TD will freaking murder Laker's second unit

mogrovejo
10-04-2009, 02:59 AM
When was the last time Odom played the 3? The Lakers perimeter defence would be porous and their offensive spacing atrocious. No truth to this rumour.

Muser
10-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Lakers second Unit

Fisher/Farmar/Brown
Kobe probably stay in/Vujacic when he's not or some other scrub
Walton
Mbenga
Powell

With TP going against them? He'd have a field day.

mosdef17
10-04-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't see why we need to counter their big lineup with a big lineup? It's silly to think Tony would be benched because in a situation where the Lakers go big it would create matchup nightmares for them if we were to play our usual game. I'd like to see Artest chasing around Parker, or if Kobe took Parker then I would like to see Artest chasing around Ginobili. Artest no longer has the quickness and speed to guard the quicker 1's, 2's, or even the quickest of 3's anymore.

picnroll
10-04-2009, 08:39 AM
I hope Jackson is stupid enough to play this lineup but it's not likely. Lakers bifggest problem last year was matching up with athletic teams and this would be playing up to that weakness in spades. Teams v=could just spread the floor, move the ball and look for the best 3 point shot that gave them 5 seconds to get off. Spurs should play Jefferson on Odom. It isn't exactly as if Odom has a post up game. Play Parker on Artest and collapse on him when he tries to post. Artest sucks at passing out of a post up. Meanwhile knock down the three point pigeons. Please Phyllis do it.

antgomez2009
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM
As good as it looks on Paper, that big lineup by the Lakers can really hurt them!

Kobe - Hill (Kobe clearly wins the advantage, but Hill/parker can pressure Full Court and force him to pass) *** the only person that was able to give Parker any trouble last year was Ariza because he's just as young, long and athletic! Ron Ron can not do that.

Ron - Manu / Finley can guard Ron Artest, Ron Artest can not hold Manu

Lamar - Dejuan Blair/ Bonner / Richard Jefferson can guard Lamar

Pau - Tim Duncan can guard Gasol

Bynum - McDyess / Ian / Ratliff

The Lakers are not going to Win by 20 points anytime against the Spurs this Season! They will be good games nonetheless, and i look forward to watching these two teams go at it!

One Thing i have to mention is, outside that Big Line-up, they have no one else, well maybe except Derek Fisher, but thats about it! Shannon Brown is an up and coming player, but not he is not a game changer, other than that, there bench is whack, and they cant go with that line up the whole game, it will cause to much clutter for the Lakers, no spacing, no one to distribute the ball, (Kobe can do that, but he is not a PG by heart, so he is limited as a distributer). But I feel the Spurs are Strong, from their #1 guy (Tim Duncan) All stars tony parker and 6th man Manu Ginobili, to their supporting cast and Bench! they have a Solid! 10 guys, and best believe Pop will use them all!

rjv
10-05-2009, 09:37 AM
spurs will have plenty of bigs as well. and better bigs at that. i for one, think bynum is overrated. take away some decent spots of a couple of regular seasons and you really can not say he has ever done much. he is the tony romo of the NBA, only more injury prone.

iilluzioN
10-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Hill (Kobe)
Jefferson (Ron)
Haislip (Odom)
McDyess (Gasol)
Tim (Bynum)

MB20
10-05-2009, 09:58 AM
pg-kobe
sg-ron ron
sf-odom
pf-pau
c-bynum

pg- Bonner
sg- Haislip
sf- McDyess
pf- Duncan
c - Mahinmi

:lol

hater
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM

:tu

CGD
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Interesting hypothetical line up, but I think you still beat it (or at least match up) with good spacing and knocking down threes. That is the best weapon against a clog in the middle, where otherwise, it will be difficult to score. Not to mention, we finally have a big since DRob who can knock down the 15ft consistently which should draw either Gasol or Bynum out.

Assuming 3s are falling, I still put TP out there. I'm not convinced that Artest, as solid a defender as he may be, can stay with TP (at least not as effectively as Ariza did last year). The Lakers' alternative is to put Kobe on TP. On balance, I'm OK with that since it makes Kobe expend valuable energy on both ends.

On the flip side, this would be a tough match up for the Spurs to be sure. But the one good thing is that the Spurs' D may not have to worry about a consistent threat from the 3 point line. This is important for spacing. It should allow the Spurs' to help TP on D considering the D has less floor to cover.

As some of you have said, I'm not sure we'll see this much, but it's always fun to speculate! One thing is for sure, the mind games have begun.

all_heart
10-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Like it's been said before, it's a gimmick lineup, one that the Lakers can't afford to put on the floor for more than a few minutes at a time. They are not deep enough to pull it off consistently especially against the better teams with deep benches like the Spurs. I've said this many times before and I'll say it again, the Lakers should have kept Ariza. He knew his worth to Lakers (although you can say it backfired on him) :lol

All this line up does for the Lakers is change the rhythm of the game should they need it. It won't work against the Spurs, Spurs team this year is bigger, younger and more talented. I think the Spurs will be aggressive on both ends of the floor this year, that's why Pops playbook is supposedly smaller and simpler this year. The past few seasons, you needed playbook wizardry to make up for the lack of overall talent and lack of athleticism.. not any more!

mingus
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Spurs can potentially put a good defensive line-up out there that can disrupt that line-up if players develope the way they should.

I like:

Bogans on Kobe
Manu on Artest
Jefferson on Odom
Dyess/Ratliff/Duncan/Blair?Mahnimi taking on both the Gasol and Bynum

this might work as well:

George Hill on Kobe
Manu on Artest
Jefferson on Odom
(same as previously mentioned bigs)

i think the Spurs have the most versatility of anyone in league at guarding this line-up.

however, there's lots of stuff regarding players' defensive abilties on the Spurs that no one even knows about, esp Haislip, Blair, and Mahinmi.

it's going to be exciting to see how all the question mark stuff works out.

carib
10-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Like it's been said before, it's a gimmick lineup, one that the Lakers can't afford to put on the floor for more than a few minutes at a time. They are not deep enough to pull it off consistently especially against the better teams with deep benches like the Spurs. I've said this many times before and I'll say it again, the Lakers should have kept Ariza. He knew his worth to Lakers (although you can say it backfired on him) :lol

All this line up does for the Lakers is change the rhythm of the game should they need it. It won't work against the Spurs, Spurs team this year is bigger, younger and more talented. I think the Spurs will be aggressive on both ends of the floor this year, that's why Pops playbook is supposedly smaller and simpler this year. The past few seasons, you needed playbook wizardry to make up for the lack of overall talent and lack of athleticism.. not any more!

Just for my info how much younger

mingus
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
also, while Kobe would kill Parker in the post, Parker would run circles around Kobe and be able to create for himself and others.

all_heart
10-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Just for my info how much younger

I don't know numbers, but we lost Bowen, Fab, and Ime. We replaced them with Blair, RJ, Haislip, and ?? I'm not counting Dice or Theo because those guys are only going to help the Spurs and don't necessarily need to be young and athletic although it would be plus.

If we assume Blair will get more minutes than a typical Spurs rookie and GH will get some significant minutes this year, the average age on the floor just got a lot younger.

21_Blessings
10-05-2009, 01:58 PM
also, while Kobe would kill Parker in the post, Parker would run circles around Kobe and be able to create for himself and others.

In a battle between Parker and Kobe we all know who would win every time. Don't be stupid.

Besides that, Kobe could just back off and dare TP to shoot jumpers. Like I said earler, he's not getting inside with Bynum, Gasol and Odom clogging the middle.

nkdlunch
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
In a battle between Parker and Kobe we all know who would win every time. Don't be stupid.

Besides that, Kobe could just back off and dare TP to shoot jumpers. Like I said earler, he's not getting inside with Bynum, Gasol and Odom clogging the middle.

I have yet to see Kobe try to guard Parker in a game

rjv
10-05-2009, 02:11 PM
spurs should not have a problem from the perimeter this season. i expect their 3 point shooting to be vastly improved this year.

wekko368
10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Besides that, Kobe could just back off and dare TP to shoot jumpers.

Parker has one of the best mid-range jumpers in the game.

barbacoataco
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Artest makes good teams worse. He has poor shot selection and has never shown in the past that he can be an unselfish player. Bynum also has a bad attitude, and Odom and Bryant have had issues in the past with their mental makeup. My point is the Lakers have a lot of selfish players to keep happy.

CGD
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM

I think this over simplifies. Spurs will counter by spreading the floor with dependable 3 point shooters, and a big man (finally!!) who can hit the open shot from the top of the key. Lakers will have to stay home on a lot of people, thereby giving TP some room to roam. Not to mention, TP's shot has improved dramatically over the past 3 seasons.

mingus
10-05-2009, 04:42 PM

no, we don't know who would win everytime. remember, it's not the Lakers' board.

9/10 times Parker would get by Kobe and either create for himself or others.

the Spurs can employ various strategies. one effective one is they can double Kobe and force him to give it up to either Odom. we'd welcome them to shoot.

Obstructed_View
10-05-2009, 06:51 PM

Wow, 82-0 here you come. That lineup has no flaws! :lol

21_Blessings
10-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Wow, 82-0 here you come. That lineup has no flaws! :lol

Wow a retarded strawman. Good job!

daslicer
10-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Honestly I don't get why people rate Kobe as great defender at best he's slightly above average. This is the same guy who got lit up by Gilbert Arenas for 61-63 points a few years ago. This is the same guy who couldn't check Mike Bibby back in the '02 WCF. I think Kobe's strength as a defender is his rep in which the refs allow him to hold and grab without blowing the whistle.

Obstructed_View
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow a retarded strawman. Good job!

The only thing that's retarded is your overestimation of the abilities of that lineup, but hardly surprising given your consistant overestimation of all things Laker.

If Kobe and Artest don't have to worry about Parker getting past them or shooting midrange jumpers over them, and if Bynum, Gasol, and Odom can keep him completely out of the paint without leaving their man, then you've created the perfect lineup. Parker is one of the best players in the league at shooting midrange jumpers and scoring in the paint, and he's also one of the quickest. If you've solved him with one lineup change then the rest of the league doesn't have a shot.

picnroll
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Bryant has never been able to guard Parker and Bryant can't guard Manu well either when Manu is at full speed. I'd enjoy watching Parker running Bryant off screens, maybe a few well set shoulders by Blair.

Danny.Zhu
10-06-2009, 01:44 AM
I have yet to see Kobe try to guard Parker in a game

Me too. But you had to admit that Shawn and Boris did a better job defending Tony than Steve. Kobe will do a better job than Derek as well.

lennyalderette
10-06-2009, 01:45 AM
the only thing you laker fans have is that kobe will torch parker on defense and offense well then how about ginobili running point!

kobyz
10-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Parker will kill the Lakers in transition