PDA

View Full Version : unknown song

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
there's a song I used to hear a lot on the radio - late 70s to mid-80s, and I don't know if I've ever known who sings it or what the name is.

don't remember it being country, but maybe it was crossover... or maybe easy listening... or maybe on the pop stations...

female vocals

can't remember any lyrics... it was some kind of tale of a worldly woman who had "been with kings and queens..." or something...

I know, too little info... but it's been bugging me for a long time...

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:23 PM
might be a rosanne cash track....

edit: no maybe not

mrsmaalox
10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
hmm, I have a lot of Roseanne Cash; doesn't sound familiar. Linda Ronstadt maybe?

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:31 PM
it was on the radio quite a bit back then.. I always liked it, even though I was a metal head back then and still am... I'm familiar with lots of L.R. stuff, so I don't think it was her

I've been checking roseanne cash lyric sites to see if there's anything that sounds like it... but don't see anything yet

only thing in the lyrics I remember is something about kings & queens. But searching on that just gets me Kings & Queens by aerosmith, or the King of Queens TV show.

mrsmaalox
10-03-2009, 10:39 PM
it was on the radio quite a bit back then.. I always liked it, even though I was a metal head back then and still am... I'm familiar with lots of L.R. stuff, so I don't think it was her

I've been checking roseanne cash lyric sites to see if there's anything that sounds like it... but don't see anything yet

only thing in the lyrics I remember is something about kings & queens. But searching on that just gets me Kings & Queens by aerosmith, or the King of Queens TV show.

I remember a girl, Juice Newton, sang "Queen of Hearts"

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:40 PM
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Oldies-2943/2009/8/song-lyrics-27.htm

found others searching for the same thing...

Answer:

The song you're looking for is "I've Never Been To Me" by Charlene, a sleeper hit recorded in the 1970's that finally reached #3 on the US Billboard pop chart in 1982. The song was actually recorded in two different versions, the original having an expanded spoken bridge that compares the non-committal "fantasy about people and places" with the committed real love of a family. An edited version which did not have this extended bridge was originally released in 1976, but only reached #97 on the chart. Charlene had returned to the non-public life moving to England and working in a sweet shop. But in 1982, a Tampa, Florida disc jockey began playing the original version, with the extended bridge, and audience reaction grew and spread until the original version was re-released, climbing to #3 in the US. "Ive Never Been To Me" was then released in the UK and Australia, reaching #1 in both of those countries.

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:43 PM
remember the song mrs m ?

mrsmaalox
10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Ha that's great :tu The title is familiar, but I don't think I know it.

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:51 PM
if you hear it you'll probably go "oh yeah, I remember that"

I didn't think it was a big name singer... I never heard of Charlene.

i'm d/l it on soulseek now. It may be one of those things that the memory is better than the real thing, though.

Bender
10-03-2009, 10:55 PM
hmmm... seems like the memory WAS better. Oh well.

Pistons < Spurs
10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Sn7d7gZj_qc

jaffies
10-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Linda Ronstadt - "Roll Um Easy"

http://www.amazon.com/Roll-Um-Easy-LP-Version/dp/B0022F2Q58/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1254629134&sr=8-1

EDIT:

nevermind, looks like you already found it...maybe

mrsmaalox
10-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Oh man, poor Bender! It's a wonder he didn't kill himself after 20 years of that in his head! :lol

Bender
10-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Oh man, poor Bender! It's a wonder he didn't kill himself after 20 years of that in his head!
:lol
I just was remembering it, and it bugged me I didn't know the name of it...
I thought I remembered liking it, but last night after finding it... nah.

I hate it when I have an old song in my head and I don't know what it is.

cherylsteele
10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
remember the song mrs m ?
I do....it is a slow ballad.

DAF86
10-05-2009, 12:54 AM
OK I'm also trying to find a song and I don't know its name or the band's name, but I do remember part of the lyrics.

It goes: "I prove you wrong, you prove me right..." or something like that. And I think that there's another part that says: "...I don't care what they say anyway." But I'm not sure.

The song isn't very old (at least that's what I think) and I heard it in some clips that ESPN or CBS made for this year's US open of tennis. Please let me know if you know what song it is.

Bender
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Bad Company?

Both Feet in the Water:

Gonna prove you wrong, gonna prove me right
You better make your mind up, it's gotta be tonight
(http://www.lyricsdownload.com/bad-company-both-feet-in-the-water-lyrics.html#)baby baby, I can light your fuse
You ain't got nothing, nothing to lose, baby

DAF86
10-05-2009, 10:18 AM
Bad Company?

Both Feet in the Water:

Nope, that's the first song that came up when I googled the lyrics but it isn't that one. Thanks anyway.

Bender
10-05-2009, 10:27 AM
for me too... :lol

your lyrics sound familiar to me also.

mrsmaalox
10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Got any more hints DAF86? Male or female vocals? Rap, rock, or country?

David Bowie
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Never Been To Me was voted as one of the best crappy love song of all time by Vh1. :)

DAF86
10-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Got any more hints DAF86? Male or female vocals? Rap, rock, or country?

90% sure that it's a male vocal and I think the parts of the lyrics I know are from the chorus, the "prove you wrong- prove me right" thing is from the begining of the hook and the " I don't care what they say anyway." from the end.

And it's a Rock/Pop song. Catchy and up-tempo.

jaffies
10-05-2009, 07:34 PM
90% sure that it's a male vocal and I think the parts of the lyrics I know are from the chorus, the "prove you wrong- prove me right" thing is from the begining of the hook and the " I don't care what they say anyway." from the end.

And it's a Rock/Pop song. Catchy and up-tempo.

Weezer - "Buddy Holly"

the only thing I can think of.

P.S. Bender - was Linda Ronstadt not the right song? seemed pretty dead on with the lyrics.

DAF86
10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Weezer - "Buddy Holly"

the only thing I can think of.

P.S. Bender - was Linda Ronstadt not the right song? seemed pretty dead on with the lyrics.

No, I think this song is kind of new, from this year or last year. Did nobody in here watch the US open?

Bender
10-06-2009, 01:12 AM
I can't help with new stuff.... I live in the past.

samikeyp
10-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Never Been To Me was voted as one of the best crappy love song of all time by Vh1. :)

:lol

I remember that song as well.

I actually still had my Juice Newton album up until a few years ago. Always liked "Angel of the Morning"