PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Evolve Into Tony's Team

duncan228
10-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Spurs evolve into Tony's team (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_evolve_into_Tonys_team.html)
Jeff McDonald

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/parkerld.jpg

By every statistical measure, Tony Parker enjoyed the finest season of his career in 2008-09.

The Spurs point guard set personal bests in scoring and assists, made his third All-Star appearance and, at season's end, earned his first All-NBA mention.

He didn't enjoy any of it.

Parker averaged 22 points and 6.9 assists — and 28.6 and 6.8 in the playoffs — but the Spurs' postseason ended in the first round against Dallas.

“It doesn't mean anything to score 30 or 40 if you lose in the first round of the playoffs,” Parker said. “That's no fun.”

If Gregg Popovich has his way, Parker is poised to enjoy the best of both worlds.

After the emergence of his point guard as a consistent scoring option last season, Popovich is now prepared to make the Spurs' offense even more Parker-friendly in the season to come.

“I'm really trying to make an effort to call fewer and fewer plays, and let Tony run the show, and let the flow of the motion and the reads he makes dictate most of the offense,” Popovich said.

In short, the Spurs are likely to run more, freelance more and settle into a half-court set less. All of those things would play to Parker's churn-and-burn style.

Once upon a time, Parker would have had to pry the keys to the Spurs' offense out of his coach's cold, dead hand. Now, Popovich simply flips them to Parker and says, “Just bring it back in one piece.”

Parker, entering his ninth NBA season at age 27, is eager to justify Popovich's faith in him.

“Since the championship in 2007, Pop has given me more and more freedom,” Parker said. “He's just letting me run the offense, basically.”

It was almost by default last season that Parker became the centerpiece of the Spurs' attack. With Manu Ginobili in and out of the lineup, and with Duncan battling creaky knees for the latter half of the season, Parker had no choice but shoulder more of the scoring burden.

A one-man wrecking crew at times, Parker topped 30 points on 13 occasions. His piece de resistance was a 55-point, 10-assist, seven-rebound effort in a November victory at Minnesota.

Quickly and quietly, the Spurs became Tony's team.

“We can all score here and there, but Tony is probably our go-to guy now,” Ginobili said. “We all accept that.”

That represents quite a change from the Spurs' philosophy for most of the past two decades, namely, “just give the ball to the tall man in the middle, and get out of the way.”

For years, first David Robinson and then Tim Duncan was the scoring star around which the Spurs' offense revolved. Just as Robinson eventually had to relinquish the mantle of “go-to guy” to Duncan, Duncan will now hand it over to Parker.

The man Popovich calls “The Franchise” has voiced no qualms about playing second fiddle to a point guard. In fact, with the return of Ginobili and the offseason arrival of scoring swingman Richard Jefferson, Duncan wouldn't mind being third or fourth fiddle.

“I'm just along for the ride,” Duncan said, with an overdose of humility. “I hope those guys can carry me.”

Popovich cites three factors in the decision to fashion the offense in Parker's image.

The first is Parker's maturity and growing understanding of how to run a team. The second is the trust Popovich has that the returning Spurs will be able to adapt to the reads Parker might make on the fly.

The third is the unprecedented number of new faces in training camp, many of whom could struggle to learn all the complicated nuances of Popovich's thick playbook.

“All those things come together and tell me it's time to cut it back,” Popovich said. “Let them play more basketball, instead of having things orchestrated for them.”

After an offseason influx of scoring help, Parker doesn't figure to top his scoring numbers from last season. If all goes to plan, however, he should at least have a lot more fun.

“I don't need to score 30 or 40 or 50 every night, because we've got a lot more weapons,” Parker said. “At the same time, I'm still going to do my thing.”

Samr
10-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Sorry McDonalds, 48MinutesofHell (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/09/30/are-the-spurs-tony-parkers-team/) beat you to it.

Blackjack
10-04-2009, 12:20 AM
This 'Tony's team' crap has already gotten tired and the season hasn't even begun.

mystargtr34
10-04-2009, 12:54 AM
If Pop's true to his word, we could see Parker really improve his assist numbers this season. Obviously the easiest way to record assists for a PG is to run, and have guys with the ability to finish in transition, like Richard Jefferson, and to a lesser degree Manu. Tony has never had a finisher of the caliber of RJ, yet still manages to keep his assists total between 6 and 7. Thats actually quite a remarkably good number considering the amount of offense run through Duncan in years past, and more so, thhe fact that nearly all of his assists come from 3 point FG's - again, when you take into account the average 3 PT FG% for the Spurs is about 38-40%, TP really creates alot more scoring opportunities than his assists totals might indicate.

Most PG's have the luxury of recording 2 or 3 APG by running and feeding athletic wings for lay ups and dunks - Parker simply hasnt had that until now so I think he has a chance to put up close to 8 APG while maintaining his scoring at about 20-22, which are All-NBA first team type numbers. Obviously he would have to out perform CP3, which is tough - but not impossible, especially if the Spurs win 60, and the Hornets struggle, or dont get to 50 wins.

Should be fun to see what he can do.

qiuyizeng
10-04-2009, 12:54 AM
“We can all score here and there, but Tony is probably our go-to guy now,” Ginobili said. “We all accept that.”

haha,manu so speak!funny

“All those things come together and tell me it's time to cut it back,” Popovich said. “Let them play more basketball, instead of having things orchestrated for them.”

pop became more and more wise,not any more stubborn.

DAF86
10-04-2009, 01:23 AM
haha,manu so speak!funny

What?

SenorSpur
10-04-2009, 03:08 AM
It will be a real treat to finally see other Spurs running the lanes with Tony. I hope he no longer has to be a one-man fast break.

naico
10-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Does Tony run the offense? Yes.
Is Tony mostly our go to guy? Yes.
Is this Tony's team? NO, it's TD's. And any noob should know that. As it's been said above, i'm getting really tired hearing this crap over and over again.

Texas_Ranger
10-04-2009, 05:02 AM
Is this Tony's team? NO, it's TD's. And any noob should know that. As it's been said above, i'm getting really tired hearing this crap over and over again.

:tu

10-04-2009, 05:19 AM
it is tim duncan's team. he brought in the championships. it will be his team until he retires even if lebron james showed up at the spurs' doorstep.

Freeze
10-04-2009, 12:48 PM
it is tim duncan's team. he brought in the championships. it will be his team until he retires even if lebron james showed up at the spurs' doorstep.

Who cares ?
Just let the Spurs win.
:flag:

TIMMYD!
10-04-2009, 03:15 PM

:tu:tu

Juanobili
10-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Though I think it IS Duncan's team, let Tony have all the fun by thinking it's now his team. It's the only way we'll be able to keep him once TD leaves lol

Bambililos
10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Tony is not a fool, he knows the Spurs won't be his team until Tim retires. He's just trying to learn to carry a team right now, because for all his talent, he's not able to do this at the moment (either with the FNT or with the Spurs (1st round exit when he's leading...)).
Tim's still here to teach him to do this.

DAF86
10-04-2009, 05:11 PM
its been tony's team since 07. why do so many spurs fans here hate to admit that?? every time this is brought up people are so quick to say "NO NO NO, ITS DUNCANS TEAM!! TILL HE RETIRES!" i dont get it, is it love for duncan or hate for tony?? is it because hes french? its gotta be something because theres no way anyone can truly 100% believe spurs are still tims team. the truth is tim has been past his prime for awhile now and has become tonys sidekick. duncan had his time, like it or not THE SPURS ARE TONY's TEAM.

Beign the top scorer of a team doesn't mean beign "the man" of a team, there have been many seasons where Duncan wasn't the leading scorer of the Spurs but by just lookig at games you could realize that he was the most important player of the team 'cause even though he wasn't the number one option on offense he affected the games in ways that no other player in San Antonio could or can. That's why IMO Duncan is still the most important player of this team.

ducks
10-04-2009, 05:34 PM
this team is so tp now it is not even funny
td learned from david
to let the younger star carry the load

RC's Boss
10-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Why would folks complain about referencing that the team is Tony's???? Manu & Tim aren't....

DJB
10-05-2009, 01:38 AM
It's Popp's team.

DAF86
10-05-2009, 03:25 AM
It's Popp's team.

If you want to play that card at least play it right, it's Holt's team.