PDA

View Full Version : Blazers’ 15th man will be tough decision

tlongII
10-04-2009, 08:59 AM
http://columbian.com/article/20091003/SPORTS01/710049973/1001/SPORTS01

TUALATIN, Ore. — It has gone from four players down to two. And now, two will battle for one.

Just a single open roster spot remains for the 2009-10 Portland Trail Blazers.

Friday, the Blazers released Quinton Hosley and Donell Taylor, cutting the team’s training camp roster down to 16 players.

Now, the winner of Portland’s 15th and final spot will likely come down to the battle between veterans Ime Udoka and Jarron Collins for the right to remain with the team.

Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan said he has been impressed by the play of both players. McMillan stated he expects Udoka and Collins will remain with the team throughout training camp. Then, a hard decision will have to be made.

"I like both of them," McMillan said Saturday, following a morning workout session at the team’s practice facility. "They both bring something different. … They’re professionals. They know how to play the game."

McMillan said Udoka, a 6-foot-6, 220-pound forward, has often been matched up against Blazers guard Brandon Roy during practice. Meanwhile, Collins, a 6-foot-11, 249-pound center, has competed hard against Greg Oden and Joel Przybilla.

Udoka, who started 75 games for the Blazers in 2006-07, shined during Saturday’s practice. He passed well, played solid defense and knocked down an open 12-foot bank shot. According to McMillan, Udoka is a tough defender who has challenged and pushed Roy during the team’s first week of camp.

"These guys are playing hard and making our guys work," McMillan said.

Udoka has spent five seasons in the NBA and played for four teams, posting career averages of 6.0 points, 3.2 rebounds and 1.0 assists. The Portland native also bounced around during his college career — he finished at Portland State after spending time at San Francisco and Eastern Utah.

Now, the 32-year-old Udoka must once again stake his claim to permanence.

He said he has become accustomed to fighting for a professional roster spot, though, and that the push for validation is simply part of the game.

The former Viking offered a reminder that he was not drafted when he entered the NBA. Ever since then, he said, nothing has been given away for free.

"It’s the way I’ve made my career," Udoka said.

According to Udoka, McMillan told him this summer that if things worked out and he earned a place with the Blazers, Udoka could be the best 12th man in the league.

"You just have to be ready," Udoka said. "And I’m confident in pretty much every situation."

Meanwhile, Collins has also been impressive.

The former Stanford standout had spent all eight of his previous NBA seasons playing for the Utah Jazz. Collins’ career averages of 4.3 points and 3.1 rebounds per game do not stand out. But his large, tough body and soft touch have made a mark during the first week of practice.

Collins said his primary focus has been on making an immediate contribution with the Blazers. He has worked hard to learn new plays and fit in with his new teammates, all while showing off the skills that kept him in the league with one franchise for eight consecutive seasons.

"I want to make this team," Collins said. "They’re very talented. And I see them doing great things this year, and I want to be a part of it."

McMillan said no matter who the Blazers choose to fill the team’s last open roster spot, the final cut will not be easy.

And that is just the way Collins wants it.

"They’re going to have a difficult decision, either way," Collins said.

Notes

— Blazers forward Nicolas Batum was held out of the final part of Saturday’s morning practice. According to McMillan, Batum was hit on his right shoulder, but the injury was minor. However, Batum did not participate in post-practice shooting, and was seen holding his shoulder several times during the last 30 minutes of practice.

— McMillan said he will wait until today to determine lineups for the Wells Fargo Fan Fest, and player rotation will depend on "who’s healthy and who can go." Doors open at 5 p.m. at the Rose Garden in Portland. A scrimmage is expected to begin about 6.

IronMexican
10-04-2009, 09:13 AM
:lmao

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Should be Collins.