PDA

View Full Version : Scrimmage Thoughts - Oct. 4, 2009

timvp
10-04-2009, 05:09 PM
For those of us who can't wait for the 2009-10 San Antonio Spurs season to begin, Sunday's intrasquad scrimmage was a much anticipated sneak peek of what's to come. With each member of the team in action and each side running regular season plays, it was really a fun event to behold. Thanks to spursdotcom for streaming the live video of the scrimmage.

-Tim Duncan didn't play much basketball in the offseason -- and it was obvious during the scrimmage. He didn't have much success when calling his own number. However, to be fair, Duncan seemed to concentrate mostly on trying to get Richard Jefferson involved.

-It was great to see Manu Ginobili back on the court. He was very active on both ends of the court and, most importantly, he looked healthy. His highlight play of the day was when he stole a pass and went coast-to-coast for dunk.

-Tony Parker was easily the best player on the court. He appears to be in good shape and his speed was on full display. When he was on the court surrounded by four shooters (for example, McDyess, Bonner, Finley and Mason), Parker created havoc on each possession. Much like last season, Parker played some shooting guard in the halfcourt sets.

-Richard Jefferson gave a preview of what he can bring to this team. For the first time in a long while, the Spurs have a swingman who can shoot, drive to the bucket and post-up around the rim. In halfcourt sets, Jefferson was constantly in motion and moved well without the ball. He took a few ill-advised midrange jumpers but it's expected that he'll take some time to find his niche.

-Admittedly, Antonio McDyess spent most of the summer resting up for the long NBA grind. While it was obvious he's not in game shape yet, McDyess' tools are already obvious. On defense, he puts in his work early and competes on each possession. Offensively, his jumper should create a lot of room for others to operate.

-I was a bit worried that Matt Bonner would come into this year hesitant after the dismal way his year ended last season in the playoffs. But in the scrimmage Bonner was relatively impressive. He still has his weaknesses (namely rebounding and physicality) but his offensive repertoire appeared to be more well-rounded. Bonner not only shot with confidence, he also authored a few notable forays off the dribble.

-DeJuan Blair did not disappoint -- to say the least. He's entering his rookie season with an ungodly amount of hype for a second round pick and he showed exactly why so many are high on his potential. Blair was a beast on the boards, had fantastic touch around the basket and hustled all around the court. He's very capable of scoring after contact and he's unafraid to throw his body around. If he can stay healthy and stay aggressive, he could be a key bench cog this season.

-George Hill wasn't too efficient but he looks like a totally different player from last season. He wasn't passive and he actually tried to make plays on a somewhat consistent basis. If anything, he was trying to do too much. Defensively, he had trouble with Parker's speed -- but he's not the first.

-Michael Finley looks like he's in good shape. His defense was decent and he was getting good elevation on his jumper. It'll be very interesting to see what type of role he settles into this season.

-Even though Roger Mason, Jr. struggled at the end of last season with ballhandling and playmaking, it appears as if the Spurs will give him another chance to show that he can create. When paired with Parker, there were many times that Mason would assume the point guard duties. Overall, his offseason weight loss appears to have made him a bit quicker, which should help him on both ends.

-Marcus Haislip played the role of a perimeter power forward and did so decently well. He is confident to shoot or penetrate when he catches the ball out on three-point line. Haislip also got his hands dirty on the boards, which isn't something seen much to date in his basketball career. In this role, his success will likely depend on whether he can shoot a high percentage from outside.

-Theo Ratliff didn't play many minutes but he moved well and jumped well. He has a lot to learn on the defensive end to fit into San Antonio's system but his raw shotblocking talent is exciting.

-Keith Bogans had a few decent defensive possessions but he didn't do anything to stand out. I'm not sure how secure his roster spot is at this point, but I assume he'll have to play better to make the final roster.

-Ian Mahinmi had flashes of good and bad. On his jumper, he had good balance and illustrated a healthy amount of range. He also moved his feet well on the defensive end at times. But Mahinmi is still very green and he too often moves awkwardly and slowly. It'd also be nice if he turned his effort level up a notch or two.

-Malik Hairston has to be the leader so far in the race for the 15th roster spot. He utilized his power-based game to his advantage on both offense and defense. He still needs to prove he can shoot against NBA athletes but he has a number of characteristics that make him an interesting prospect.

-Marcus Williams is a billed as a swingman who can do a bit of everything. I didn't see it in the scrimamge. He played some point guard but struggled to run offensive sets against pressure. His passing was also very underwhelming. Unless he begins to show a high level of talent, it's difficult to imagine Williams overcoming his slow feet, slow release and limited athleticism.

-Curtis Jerrells had the unenviable task of backing up Parker but he continuously improved as the game progressed. Defensively, I like how he competed and applied frenzied pressure. He was aggressive in looking for his shot -- especially late. It's going to take a great training camp and preseason to make the team but he started off on the right foot in this scrimmage.

-In his few minutes, Dwayne Jones showed that he has a live body for a player his size (6-foot-10, 250 pounds).

All in all, the scrimmage highlighted the depth of this Spurs squad. A lot of work still needs to be done but the talent is at hand.

Next up, the start of preseason on Tuesday against the Houston Rockets.

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree 100% on Ian. His lack of effort and the way he seems uninterested is alarming to me. I don't know what it will take to motivate the guy to play hard, but you would think having his first real chance to prove himself would be enough.

DAF86
10-04-2009, 05:15 PM
timvp's thoughts are back, my life is complete again.

Spurs Brazil
10-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks timvp

It was really good to see Manu healthy again

TP is playing great and Blair will be good, he plays with A LOT of energy

Gino2882
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Awesome job Timvp. Always appreciated.

xellos88330
10-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Woohooo!!! I missed Timvp's game thoughts.

My Fault
10-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the write up!

Sucks the stream just didn't seem to work for me but this helps me get an idea of how everyone looked. :tu

TimDunkem
10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice write up. :toast

I got to the arena around 11 A.M. and it was completely worth it. I had great seats, great food, and the atmosphere in the stands was electrifying, especially for a scrimmage. The 6 free tickets I ended up with after the event itself was worth the price of standing in the same spot for 2 and a half hours with flies, and bees swarming around my head.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2v7xvo4.jpg

iilluzioN
10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
timvp, you should start a website with your own articles

AnthonyM
10-04-2009, 05:30 PM
-Even though Roger Mason, Jr. struggled at the end of last season with ballhandling and playmaking, it appears as if the Spurs will give him another chance to show that he can create. When paired with Parker, there were many times that Mason would assume the point guard duties. Overall, his offseason weight loss appears to have made him a bit quicker, which should help him on both ends.

A bit discouraging for me. I really hope that Pop doesn't continue with this experiment if Mason doesn't show vast signs of improvement from last season. I know he lost some weight, but I think Mason should still just stick to being a spot up shooter, plus being quicker doesn't mean he's now got the talent and other skills it takes to be an effective back up point guard. Even though this year, Pop has more room to play around with the lineup and can afford to make a mistake or two, hopefully he doesn't kill Mason's confidence and he ends up in a slump at the end of the year like last year. Either way, the season should be exciting. Nice writeup! :toast

benefactor
10-04-2009, 05:33 PM
-Keith Bogans had a few decent defensive possessions but he didn't do anything to stand out. I'm not sure how secure his roster spot is at this point, but I assume he'll have to play better to make the final roster.
Bogans contract is guaranteed.

The only real big concern for me is Ian. He does not seem to be playing like he wants to be a part of this team. I would think that he would take advantage of a stage like this to show the coaches and fans that he is ready to contribute.

Oh...and Marcus Williams is not an NBA player.

Thompson
10-04-2009, 05:36 PM

Give Williams to the end of preseason at least, he might have been nervous. If he and Hairston do play strongly enough, -Bogans is only guaranteed the minimum I think- would they cut Bogans or do something else (it's a big 'if,' I know).

Thanks for the notes timvp.

kbrury
10-04-2009, 05:37 PM
Great write up

I hope Hairston makes the team, like you said Williams doesn't look like what the Spurs are hoping from him at least for today. Also happy to see Haislip being active.

Spurlady
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
The scrimmage got me even more excited for the season to begin. We arrived about 12:45 and still ended up with excellent seats. I thought Hill played with a lot of confidence. It seems like he did a better job at finishing around the rim. Manu seemed to be back to being Manu and played more minutes than I thought he would. The funniest part of the day was the mini three point contest at the end, which Tim won by making 5--they really should think about having him shoot from the top of the key once in a while.

Spurs 21+20+9=50
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Nice write up. :toast

I got to the arena around 11 A.M. and it was completely worth it. I had great seats, great food, and the atmosphere in the stands was electrifying, especially for a scrimmage. The 6 free tickets I ended up with after the event itself was worth the price of standing in the same spot for 2 and a half hours with flies, and bees swarming around my head.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2v7xvo4.jpg

I got there about 11:30 and couldn't believe how many people were already in line ahead of me. And yes, the flies were terrible!!

What game are the 6 free tickets for? I didn't get those.

Juanobili
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
The scrimmage got me even more excited for the season to begin. We arrived about 12:45 and still ended up with excellent seats. I thought Hill played with a lot of confidence. It seems like he did a better job at finishing around the rim. Manu seemed to be back to being Manu and played more minutes than I thought he would. The funniest part of the day was the mini three point contest at the end, which Tim won by making 5--they really should think about having him shoot from the top of the key once in a while.

I can only imagine what seats I wouldve gotten. I wanted to be there by 12! lol

too bad I couldnt make it :(

ginobilized
10-04-2009, 05:44 PM
Timvp is baaaaccckkkkk!
Thanks for the thoughts, they are always illuminating.

Bukefal
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I hope Manu can keep his health 100%. Blair was good, I hope we can see much of him this season, maybe even becoming a starter? He's a great player, im really glad we got him out of the draft.

tav1
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM

The only real big concern for me is Ian. He does not seem to be playing like he wants to be a part of this team. I would think that he would take advantage of a stage like this to show the coaches and fans that he is ready to contribute.

Bogans' contract guarantee isn't that big of a deal. The Spurs would eat some money, but not much if they decide to go with, as an example, Hairston and Jerrells.

Between Haislip, Finley and Hairston, I'm not sure how much playing time he'd receive...

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I am very skeptical of Haislips true range as well. He has a very active game and he could be useful, but if the Spurs are expecting him to be Bonner, then I think they will be disappointed.

Flux451
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Dope! THanks for the recap.

And thanks everyone for the play by play. I couldn't watch at work with crappy aircard. Only thing I saw was the 3p contest at home on lunch.

You are a Spurs nerd when ya read every comment on the practice thread. Shieet, wifey just don't know

completely deck
10-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Glad it wasn't just me who thought Blair looked great. I'm excited!

TimDunkem
10-04-2009, 05:55 PM
I got there about 11:30 and couldn't believe how many people were already in line ahead of me. And yes, the flies were terrible!!

What game are the 6 free tickets for? I didn't get those.
They were vouchers for two free lower level tickets to one of three pre-season games (Houston, Greece, LAC). I got three. lol I'll be sitting really close.

ulosturedge
10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
They were vouchers for two free lower level tickets to one of three pre-season games (Houston, Greece, LAC). I got three. lol I'll be sitting really close.

When and how did you get those? I was there and didn't know anything about it. Was it for the first 500 people or something? Or was it after the game?

TimDunkem
10-04-2009, 06:02 PM
When and how did you get those? I was there and didn't know anything about it. Was it for the first 500 people or something? Or was it after the game?
At the exit after the game. I'm not sure which one exactly. It was really close to the entrance though. I don't think it was for the first five hundred or anything either. It seemed as though everyone had one.

Summers
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the write-up! Can't wait for the season to start!

TD 21
10-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree 100% on Ian. His lack of effort and the way he seems uninterested is alarming to me. I don't know what it will take to motivate the guy to play hard, but you would think having his first real chance to prove himself would be enough.

My hope is that Ratliff takes him under his wing this season and can hopefully get him to compete harder and play with at least a slight amount more aggression and tenacity. It's apparent at this point that he'll obviously never be like Blair in this regard, but he can somewhat improve in this area.

His position in the NBA will primarily be center, despite his lack of overwhelming girth. His job will be first and foremost to guard the basket, then rebound the ball and finally run the floor. It's a role Ratliff has played and generally played well, for years. There should be a logical connection there.

Bruno
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Some of you are reading too much into a practice.

TD 21
10-04-2009, 06:32 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't see it (at least not yet), so all I have to go on is the opinion of those who did. Based on that, it sounds to me like little has changed in Mahinmi's game. He's now 22 (going on 23) and was drafted 4 years ago. I know he missed virtually all of last season, but he should be further along than he is.

For example, from summer league until now, all I've seen or heard with regards to Hill is how he "looks like a different player". Everyone can see it. While he had his moments in summer league, I don't recall anyone saying the same for Mahinmi.

mazerrackham
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Anybody notice that RJ didn't get the memo that Timmy is a PF? :lol He called him a center in his interview.

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
With Ian, this is not based off of one practice. His SL performance last year was the same way. He played very poorly and he seemed to not care or put forth a good effort.

He has said before he wants his shot with the Spurs, but his energy level does not reflect this in my opinion.

However, I have high hopes for Ian and I have always said I think he is a player that will play better against better competition. I just hope that is the truth and I hope the Spurs FO are ok with his work ethic.

Libri
10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
timvp, you should start a website with your own articles

Spurs Talk

My Fault
10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Unfortunately, I didn't see it (at least not yet), so all I have to go on is the opinion of those who did. Based on that, it sounds to me like little has changed in Mahinmi's game. He's now 22 (going on 23) and was drafted 4 years ago. I know he missed virtually all of last season, but he should be further along than he is.

For example, from summer league until now, all I've seen or heard with regards to Hill is how he "looks like a different player". Everyone can see it. While he had his moments in summer league, I don't recall anyone saying the same for Mahinmi.
He has not had the NBA time Hill has...

angelbelow
10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the recap!

Buddy Holly
10-04-2009, 06:43 PM

Staff were handing the paper certificates to people as they exited the main entrance. I got it and I thought it was just a flier with some ticket package reminder or something, I was about to throw it away when I just last second decided to read it.

I was in line for about 10 minutes, not moving anywhere when I was told I was in some "fake" line that someone started by accident and the end of the real lines were way over there.... :wow

I left. lol

TD 21
10-04-2009, 06:47 PM
With Ian, this is not based off of one practice. His SL performance last year was the same way. He played very poorly and he seemed to not care or put forth a good effort.

He has said before he wants his shot with the Spurs, but his energy level does not reflect this in my opinion.

Surprising as it may seem, I actually agree with you.

My point exactly. It's not just "one practice", it's a continuation of bad habits/body language. That's what makes his development or lack thereof alarming.

He has not had the NBA time Hill has...

Maybe so, but Hill is clearly developing far more rapidly than is Mahinmi. They say "big men take longer" and that's fine, but how much longer should the Spurs wait on this guy? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up on him yet, but he has to show some type of progress this season if he's to ever become a consistent contributor, even though he's likely to see limited minutes.

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 06:50 PM
I don't really have a problem with his game or development, just his energy level and work ethic. He has progressed decently with his game and has shown many flashes of talent, but I have seen him look uninterested too many times.

You can probably attribute that to the fact he wants to play with the Spurs and he has been frustrated by injuries. This is just one scrimmage, but everyone else seemed to be flying around. I certainly hope when the real preseason games start, that Ian will show his true passion.

Kamnik
10-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks timvp!

Love reading these summaries like 99% posters here :)

bigdog
10-04-2009, 07:01 PM
It was good to see the scrimmage today. I got the 2 free tickets to the game on Tuesday, so we'll see how that turns out.

Libri
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't really have a problem with his game or development, just his energy level and work ethic. He has progressed decently with his game and has shown many flashes of talent, but I have seen him look uninterested too many times.

You can probably attribute that to the fact he wants to play with the Spurs and he has been frustrated by injuries. This is just one scrimmage, but everyone else seemed to be flying around. I certainly hope when the real preseason games start, that Ian will show his true passion.

If he's lazy, then we can't expect him to improve much. Pop isn't going to tolerate this.

callo1
10-04-2009, 07:31 PM
can't read into one scrim much, just glad the season is coming soon.

timtonymanu
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
i know it was just a scrimmage but could the starters of both teams possibly be the 1st and 2nd unit.

1st unit - Parker, Mason, Jefferson,Dice, Duncan
2nd unit - Hill, Manu, Finley, Haislip, Bonner

although I think Blair should be replacing Bonner.

raspsa
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I too find it disturbing that Ian seems to have motivation issues at this point in his carreer. When interviewed he says the right things about wanting to compete and prove himself.. blah..blah.. but actions speak louder than words.

I don't know if he's been affected by all the injuries in the past and he's being cautious but if he's healthy, this training camp is his best opportunity to prove himself. He has a contract but he should not be complacent.. maybe at the back of his mind he knows he can always go back to Europe.. who knows whats going thru his head? Wake up Ian before its too late.

Mr. Body
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Marcus Williams has more desire to play the game than Ian, it seems, but doesn't have the physical tools. I wouldn't expect either to be on the team at the end of the year.

TD 21
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
i know it was just a scrimmage but could the starters of both teams possibly be the 1st and 2nd unit.

If you were to list the Spurs likely starters and the rotation players off the bench, 9 of the 10 players you listed would be in the places they are, but to see Haislip in with the 2nd unit, ahead of Blair or even Ratliff, is surprising. I realize that we shouldn't read too much into one scrimmage, but I had previously suspected that Haislip would primarily be the 5th-6th big man this season. This gives me (at least some) reason to re-think this.

ooshmay
10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Glad it wasn't just me who thought Blair looked great. I'm excited!

Yea im still wondering how he fell to the spurs in the draft.. he is a beast!

SenorSpur
10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow! A write-up from scirmmage? Totally unexpected, yet very much appreciated.

Seeing as how us out-of-towners, don't have access to scirmmages and preseason games, these summaries are indeed a god-send.

Can't wait to see how the rest of the month shakes out.

Thanks again!

Kool Bob Love
10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
can't read into one scrim much, just glad the season is coming soon.

qft!

duncan228
10-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Seeing as how us out-of-towners, don't have access to scirmmages and preseason games, these summaries are indeed a god-send.

If you didn't get to watch, Spurs.com will have today's scrimmage up later.

Thanks for the thoughts timvp. It feels good to have the team and SpursTalk in gear for the season.

TIMMYD!
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Anybody notice that RJ didn't get the memo that Timmy is a PF? :lol He called him a center in his interview.

He was probably just fucking with him.

My Fault
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Maybe so, but Hill is clearly developing far more rapidly than is Mahinmi. They say "big men take longer" and that's fine, but how much longer should the Spurs wait on this guy? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't give up on him yet, but he has to show some type of progress this season if he's to ever become a consistent contributor, even though he's likely to see limited minutes.
Well he also has a full NBA experience and some playoffs under his belt. Once Ian has. A full year and still no improvement I'll pass my judgement then.

Spursmania
10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
If you didn't get to watch, Spurs.com will have today's scrimmage up later.

Thanks for the thoughts timvp. It feels good to have the team and SpursTalk in gear for the season.

Awesome-thanks for info Duncan228. I only saw the beginning and then had to head out to kids' birthday parties. Looking forward to seeing it. Any idea when it will come out?

Spurlady
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM

But for a practice there was a great deal of intensity and it certainly didn't seem like just a practice. The guys were going all out and hitting the floor--hard. It was a first look at how the team looks heading into the season and we can start forming our opinions of who we'd like to see stay and who can go.

urunobili
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
god i was missing this... thanks timvp

ulosturedge
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Ian's problem is he doesn't know how to stay involved in the game. When he doesn't have the ball he seems to disappear from the game.

He wants to contribute though. I saw him take it strong on Timmy, but they didn't give him the call. He was visibly upset that he didn't get the call. He has good form on his jump shots and he shoots freethrows well. He just needs to stay active when he doesn't have the ball. He needs to move more without the ball.

duncan228
10-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Any idea when it will come out?

Just sometime tonight. spursdotcom said that he would post it when it was up.

The Truth #6
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Happy to hear the positive news. It sounds like Ian and Marcus Williams aren't there yet, but the strong play of Manu, RJ, Blair, Parker, Hairston (to some degree), and even Bonner is plenty of positive news.

But maybe this is classic Bonner - completely shine in the least important "game" of the year. Ha! Given that, we should get the most out of him during the first half of the season while the new players adjust and then reduce his minutes after the all star break. Joking?

BOHOLANO#21
10-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I can only imagine what seats I wouldve gotten. I wanted to be there by 12! lol

too bad I couldnt make it :(

I got there at 1245 and my seat was in the 6th row in front of TD's bench. not bad...

BOHOLANO#21
10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
ian's problem is he doesn't know how to stay involved in the game. When he doesn't have the ball he seems to disappear from the game.

He wants to contribute though. I saw him take it strong on timmy, but they didn't give him the call. He was visibly upset that he didn't get the call. He has good form on his jump shots and he shoots freethrows well. He just needs to stay active when he doesn't have the ball. He needs to move more without the ball.
+1

BOHOLANO#21
10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
i think if given the minutes, ian mahinmi will be a decent back up center. it's hard to judge a players effort in a practice game with nothing at stake.

benefactor
10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Bogans' contract guarantee isn't that big of a deal. The Spurs would eat some money, but not much if they decide to go with, as an example, Hairston and Jerrells.

Between Haislip, Finley and Hairston, I'm not sure how much playing time he'd receive...
But if they cut him wouldn't it count against the cap? With the number of years he has been in the league his salary should be $1,107,572. If it does count against the cap the Spurs would eat over 2.2 million just to get rid of a player they didn't want.

wildbill2u
10-04-2009, 09:41 PM
i think if given the minutes, ian mahinmi will be a decent back up center. it's hard to judge a players effort in a practice game with nothing at stake.

I disagree. Good players want to win and excel in every competitive venue, even scrimagess. I bet Manu and the other stars were focused and involved because that is their nature and the reason they are stars.

It's even more disappointing attitude from a player who hasn't proven he belongs on an NBA roster yet.

Interrohater
10-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I liked Bogan's effort today, from what I could tell from that horrible online feed. He looked exactly like what a defensive specialist should look like. He moved his feet, kept his arms up and is bald.

TIMMYD!
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
George Hill is maturing.

TIMMYD!
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
300 posts fuck yeah.

duncan228
10-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Timothy Varner of 48MoH with thoughts, including a link to timvp's.

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/10/04/spurs-vs-spurs-training-camp-scrimmage/#more-4827

tav1
10-04-2009, 11:09 PM
But if they cut him wouldn't it count against the cap? With the number of years he has been in the league his salary should be $1,107,572. If it does count against the cap the Spurs would eat over 2.2 million just to get rid of a player they didn't want.

Not quite. The league picks up half, irc.

Spursfan 87
10-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bruno http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3723553#post3723553)

Practice??? we are talkin about practice??

DPG21920
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2009/10/04/spurs-vs-spurs-training-camp-scrimmage/#more-4827

# Ian Mahinmi continues his routine of flash a little here, fizzle a little there. I’ve watched him as closely as anyone over the past three years, and he looks like a monster in waiting when he slips into a rhythm. But when he doesn’t, he’s simply a clumsy, low energy big. At this point, I’d like to see the Spurs take a sink or swim approach with Mahinmi. Give him big minutes, relative to his role as back-up center, in preseason and throughout, say, the first third of the regular season. My suspicion is that he is in fact a rhythm player who works his way into games by playing up to competition. But there is really only one way to find out.

This is almost exactly my thoughts. Others notice it, I am sure the coaches notice it and I really hope Ian turns it up. We will find out starting October 6th.

toki9
10-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Ian's problem is he doesn't know how to stay involved in the game. When he doesn't have the ball he seems to disappear from the game.

He wants to contribute though. I saw him take it strong on Timmy, but they didn't give him the call. He was visibly upset that he didn't get the call. He has good form on his jump shots and he shoots freethrows well. He just needs to stay active when he doesn't have the ball. He needs to move more without the ball.

Maybe a high-energy/emotional teammate is what he needs on the floor with him...would love to see some chemistry develop between Ian and Dejuan...maybe Dejuan can get Ian involved...

Spursfan 87
10-04-2009, 11:35 PM
its going to be interesting to see who's going to make the active the active roster, specially who's going to be the 11-12th man and who's going to be in the inactive list.

EricB
10-05-2009, 12:06 AM

That aint no shit...

EricB
10-05-2009, 12:07 AM
BTW knocking Mahinmi on not "turning up the intensity" over a made for the fans glorified practice is bullshit.

EricB
10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
I disagree. Good players want to win and excel in every competitive venue, even scrimagess. I bet Manu and the other stars were focused and involved because that is their nature and the reason they are stars.

It's even more disappointing attitude from a player who hasn't proven he belongs on an NBA roster yet.

:lmao

Yeah, a made for the fans practice is CLEARLY an indication he doesn't care.

God pass me some of what you people are smoking.

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
BTW knocking Mahinmi on not "turning up the intensity" over a made for the fans glorified practice is bullshit.

No it is not. It is a legit complaint that many people notice. It is not just one practice; this has been a problem for a while now. Today just made it visible to the masses.

EricB
10-05-2009, 12:13 AM
No it is not. It is a legit complaint that many people notice. It is not just one practice; this has been a problem for a while now. Today just made it visible to the masses.

Ooo he didn't play "fired up" for a fan's show.

Dear me...

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 12:18 AM
What don't you understand about the fact it was not about today? This has been a problem with Ian and many have said so. Today just reiterated the problem. If this is Tim taking it easy, no problem.

But this is a guy who has done this in SL before and other situations and he is a guy that is supposed to be fighting for his spot on this team.

You don't have to stick up for everyone (McDonald, Pop, Bonner, Mason, Ian....). Sometimes, people or players do negative things. No one is saying Ian should be dropped because of this, but it is a recurring problem that needs to be addressed. I really hope Ian shows his game off, because the Spurs can use him.

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2009, 12:20 AM
I'll reserve me judgment until pre-season..I still wouldn't get rid of him though..he's clearly full of potential, and I guess that's why it's frustrating to so many people..it's nice to see Tony feeding him though, so I'm sure we'll see what Ian can bring in pre-season..

I do agree that he lacks energy at times..let's see how he performs in the important games..

Hairston has to make this team..I don't know what else he needs to do..he produced when he was given NBA time..he was our most consistent player in SL IMO..he's already better than Bogans IMO..

EricB
10-05-2009, 12:25 AM
What don't you understand about the fact it was not about today? This has been a problem with Ian and many have said so. Today just reiterated the problem. If this is Tim taking it easy, no problem.

But this is a guy who has done this in SL before and other situations and he is a guy that is supposed to be fighting for his spot on this team.

You don't have to stick up for everyone (McDonald, Pop, Bonner, Mason, Ian....). Sometimes, people or players do negative things. No one is saying Ian should be dropped because of this, but it is a recurring problem that needs to be addressed. I really hope Ian shows his game off, because the Spurs can use him.

What do you not understand that I'm not gonna include today with some other BS observation.

The guy averages 20 something a game in the NBDL and is "uninterested" big bleeping deal, I'll take uninterested and averaging that every day of the week.

Whatever. You guys want to put any credence into a go through the motions blah fans show, go right ahead.

EricB
10-05-2009, 12:26 AM
I'll reserve me judgment until pre-season..I still wouldn't get rid of him though..he's clearly full of potential, and I guess that's why it's frustrating to so many people..it's nice to see Tony feeding him though, so I'm sure we'll see what Ian can bring in pre-season..

I do agree that he lacks energy at times..let's see how he performs in the important games..

Hairston has to make this team..I don't know what else he needs to do..he produced when he was given NBA time..he was our most consistent player in SL IMO..he's already better than Bogans IMO..

Marcus Williams, Dwayne Jones, Jurrels adios.

That simple.

How Marcus williams is STILL THERE is BEYOND me.

byrdman31
10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
i had a great time at the practice today. i got there late as well but it was alright. i was impressed by tony and manu, they seem like they are in mid season shape already. Timmy seemed slow but at least he won the 3 point contest:lol and blair shows alot of potential and looked like a beast for a few plays, i cant wait for the season.

and i got 4 free tix to the houston game and 8 for the olympiakos. great time, great event.:toast

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 12:32 AM

Exactly. No one is damning Ian to basketball purgatory. People are making a very obvious observation about his game and a problem area. I have said many times I feel Ian will play better against better competition. Lets see what happens when pre season rolls around and early regular season. He is going to get his chance, I just hope he is ready. It would mean so much to this team if he could produce.

Hairston is a NBA player. The only question is at what level. If he can hit 3's at a good clip and continue to defend like he has shown before, he can be a solid rotational player.

Blackjack
10-05-2009, 12:41 AM
* BLACKJACK21 has taken artistic-license and or plagiarized the OP. timvp neither endorses nor is associated with the following post. *

For those of us who can't wait for the 2009-10 San Antonio Spurs season to begin, Sunday's intrasquad scrimmage was a much anticipated sneak peek of what's to come. With each member of the team in action and each side running regular season plays, it was really a fun event to behold, and one that would elicit the first offering from a scribe they call timvp.

- In the wake of an early-round loss to the Mavs, timvp clearly had plenty of time to mend the bumps and bruises. It was said that he was beginning to show the signs of a man being struck down in his prime by the plague that is carpal tunnel, but with the help of a Spurs -- Talk -- staff he seems to have been able to at least thwart it for the time being.

- His observations seem to be on point and he doesn't seem to be under the influence of any controlled or uncontrolled substance. The sentence structure and grammar was pretty much on point and his post was done in a very timely manner; another good indicator that he wasn't under the influence.

- The information was solid and thorough, even if not mid-season form; clearly the lack of images and creativity with the post, artistically, indicate he's not quite in game-shape. Hey, it's training camp and he's a vet so it's to be expected. It's a long season and I'd much rather he start a little slow and finish strong to prevent any flare-ups or burn-out.

- Finally, the long break, combined with the additions made by the Spurs, seem to be just what the Dr. ordered for what turned out to be one basketball-weary hoops junky. Had the Spurs returned with the same roster, I just don't think timvp could've got in front of the computer and done his thing without feeling a bit like he was just spinning the wheels. Pop and RC's vision, combined with Mr. Holt's wallet, have brought the needed enthusiasm and optimism to bring this member of the Message Board Hall of Fame the fuel to get the job done at least one more time.

All in all, the scrimmage highlighted the depth of this Spurs squad while giving us a glimpse as to what to expect from this year's Game Thoughts. A lot of work still needs to be done but the talent is at hand.

duncan228
10-05-2009, 12:48 AM
:lol Well done BLACKJACK21. :clap

Manufan909
10-05-2009, 01:02 AM
* BLACKJACK21 has taken artistic-license and or plagiarized the OP. timvp neither endorses nor is associated with the following post. *

For those of us who can't wait for the 2009-10 San Antonio Spurs season to begin, Sunday's intrasquad scrimmage was a much anticipated sneak peek of what's to come. With each member of the team in action and each side running regular season plays, it was really a fun event to behold, and one that would elicit the first offering from a scribe they call timvp.

- In the wake of an early-round loss to the Mavs, timvp clearly had plenty of time to mend the bumps and bruises. It was said that he was beginning to show the signs of a man being struck down in his prime by the plague that is carpal tunnel, but with the help of a Spurs -- Talk -- staff he seems to have been able to at least thwart it for the time being.

- His observations seem to be on point and he doesn't seem to be under the influence of any controlled or uncontrolled substance. The sentence structure and grammar was pretty much on point and his post was done in a very timely manner; another good indicator that he wasn't under the influence.

- The information was solid and thorough, even if not mid-season form; clearly the lack of images and creativity with the post, artistically, indicate he's not quite in game-shape. Hey, it's training camp and he's a vet so it's to be expected. It's a long season and I'd much rather he start a little slow and finish strong to prevent any flare-ups or burn-out.

- Finally, the long break, combined with the additions made by the Spurs, seem to be just what the Dr. ordered for what turned out to be one basketball-weary hoops junky. Had the Spurs returned with the same roster, I just don't think timvp could've got in front of the computer and done his thing without feeling a bit like he was just spinning the wheels. Pop and RC's vision, combined with Mr. Holt's wallet, have brought the needed enthusiasm and optimism to bring this member of the Message Board Hall of Fame the fuel to get the job done at least one more time.

All in all, the scrimmage highlighted the depth of this Spurs squad while giving us a glimpse as to what to expect from this year's Game Thoughts. A lot of work still needs to be done but the talent is at hand.

:toast

Sdayi135
10-05-2009, 02:33 AM

Bonner should be behind whoever gets the 15th spot on the roster.

Manufan909
10-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Bonner should be behind whoever gets the 15th spot on the roster.

MW should be behind everyone. Especially after letting Pop and them get hyped up, and proceeding to blow NO ONE away, when Hairston continues to impress, and got cut last season to make room for Marcus.

angelbelow
10-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Marcus Williams, Dwayne Jones, Jurrels adios.

That simple.

How Marcus williams is STILL THERE is BEYOND me.

What did Marcus average in the D-league? If you want to give Ian the benefit of the doubt at LEAST not jump to conclusion on Marcus.

timvp
10-05-2009, 05:43 AM
I agree 100% on Ian. His lack of effort and the way he seems uninterested is alarming to me.

It's difficult for me to figure out what the issue is with Mahinmi. It looks like an effort issue but perhaps the fact that he's still so raw makes it appear as if he's not giving maximum effort. His slow and deliberate moves may be because he's not sure what he wants to do.

Or maybe he's still injured from the French NT play. Whatever the case may be, he didn't look right during the scrimmage. Hopefully whatever it is that is making him play slow motion at times is cleared up at some point before the regular season.

Yeah. Waiving him would cost the team about $1.65M I believe. Add in the salary for the replacement player and it'd be a pretty hefty sum to swallow. But the Spurs have eaten guaranteed contracts in somewhat similar situations.

I think Bogans will make the team because the Spurs need a defensive wing off the bench but I think they can maneuver if necessary.

- Finally, the long break, combined with the additions made by the Spurs, seem to be just what the Dr. ordered for what turned out to be one basketball-weary hoops junky.

:lol Nicely done.

Yeah, it feels like five years since Game 5 against the Mavs. That was a long, loong, looooong summer. :guin

What did Marcus average in the D-league? If you want to give Ian the benefit of the doubt at LEAST not jump to conclusion on Marcus.

That's what I was thinking. I don't get how he can point to Mahinmi's D-League stats in one post and then bash Williams in another post when Williams put up stats as good or better than Mahinmi.

Muser
10-05-2009, 05:48 AM
As people have said, Hairston needs to make the team ahead of Williams. In Hairstons minutes of action in the NBA he's shown he can be a solid role player, Williams hasn't.

As for Ian, raw or not i'd like the Spurs to hang on to him. Athletic 7 footers don't come along very often.

jalberto
10-05-2009, 06:27 AM
LyGnqMggrLY&fmt=22]

spursfan1000
10-05-2009, 07:43 AM
Glad to see Manu is healthy and Blair is living to his expectations. I was not able to attend.

Darkwaters
10-05-2009, 07:46 AM
As for Ian, raw or not i'd like the Spurs to hang on to him. Athletic 7 footers don't come along very often.

Just FYI, Ian is not a 7 footer either. He was 6'9 when the Spurs drafted him and is generally listed as 6'10 now. Generally if a team is going to "lie" about a player's height it's to make him sound taller, not shorter. I doubt hes really 7 foot and they just say hes 6'9/10.

Anyways, thats neither here nor there. At this point I think you waive Marcus Williams (I've never been a fan), Jerrels and Jones and roll with what you've got.

Thats a solid roster and even if Mahinmi is underachieving he still deserves a roster spot. I'm not sure where Ian fits into the rotation (if at all), but he should probably get some good minutes in preseason and early regular season to see how he reacts. Chances are looking more and more likely that he won't be on the roster next season though. If Haislip and Blair perform well and Splitter is inbound then I'm not sure how he fits in the long-term plans anyways. We'll just have to see.

Bogans might end up being a 15th man if we're lucky. And that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Having a guy like Bogans deep on the bench is nice insurance just in case.

Gervin44Silas13
10-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Blair looked Good!!!!
Can't wait for Friday's game free Tix , yeah it's preseason but who cares!!!!!

raspsa
10-05-2009, 08:50 AM

My sentiments too. Ian should be exerting maximum effort in this training camp. We'll see if he can pick it up hopefully.

Ditty
10-05-2009, 12:29 PM
I got there at 9:30 in the morning and there was only 2 groups of people there we ended up going to mcdonalds was the 5th person in line with my friends when we came back

I sat 4th row right in the middle behind the iceman

blair looked amazing he is going to be a player he is agressive and just used his strength to push guys out of the way

hairston was probably one of the best players out there IMO, he looked like he improved his dribbiling and is not afraid to attack the rim, his shot wasn't on target but it lookes alot better, and his defense is great he made jefferson take some tough shots but jefferson just made him cuz he that damn good

Parker looked like he wasn't playing that hard he was just trying to pass and get other guys in the game I almost caught his towel btw but the lady next to me ended up catching it

Ginobili 3 pointer is automatic he can shoot and still take it to the hole i hope we see the 2005 and 2008 Ginobili

Duncan had a bad game and looked frustrated but could still get any shot he wants

Bonner looked great and I'm not a big fan of his and probably heard me yell at telling him that he needs to play like this in the regular season. he was knocking down 3's playing good defense. him and haslip should fight for minutes.

Hill looked so confident out there and looked like a leader and played great defense on Tony, offensive game lookes like he can score at will now

jefferson had a bad 1st half but showed that he can played solid defense, but in the 2nd he looked like a all star shooting over hairston who was guarding him tough.

Mason looked great and more comfortable this year he was shooting lights out and looks in great shape and attacked the rim on the fast break and defense looks better also which will help

Theo was a grat leader yelling at everyone and altering shots and playing tough defense on Tim

Ian has so much pontential but might not have that true work ethic, he can knock down that outside shot but he needs a better post game, but he is playing better defense and him and theo should be fighting in preseason to see who backs up Tim

Finley looked great knocking down shots and his defense was solid i think he will be backing up jefferson this year if he continues to play like that

Bogan didn't play well offensively but defenseivly he played great but will be a good role player

Kool Bob Love
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
http://static.yuku.com//domainskins/bypass/img/smileys/nerd.gif

Ginobilly
10-05-2009, 02:15 PM
It's difficult for me to figure out what the issue is with Mahinmi. It looks like an effort issue but perhaps the fact that he's still so raw makes it appear as if he's not giving maximum effort. His slow and deliberate moves may be because he's not sure what he wants to do.

Or maybe he's still injured from the French NT play. Whatever the case may be, he didn't look right during the scrimmage. Hopefully whatever it is that is making him play slow motion at times is cleared up at some point before the regular season.

Yeah. Waiving him would cost the team about $1.65M I believe. Add in the salary for the replacement player and it'd be a pretty hefty sum to swallow. But the Spurs have eaten guaranteed contracts in somewhat similar situations.

I think Bogans will make the team because the Spurs need a defensive wing off the bench but I think they can maneuver if necessary.

:lol Nicely done.

Yeah, it feels like five years since Game 5 against the Mavs. That was a long, loong, looooong summer. :guin

That's what I was thinking. I don't get how he can point to Mahinmi's D-League stats in one post and then bash Williams in another post when Williams put up stats as good or better than Mahinmi.

How long does it freakin take you to learn how play ball? If you could play you could play! No more excuses for ian. Did you Blair out there? He's 20 years old and he's hustling for loose balls/Skying high for rebounds/ using his body to box out/running the break with ginobili. How hard could that fucking be if your a pro getting millions of dollars? I've seen people at the YMCA play with more energy and heart/bb IQ that I've seen Ian play. I'm hate doing this, but I'm going to paraphrase Stephen A Smith. "Ian is a bonafide scrub that simply cannot play the game of basketball". Sadly, it just seems too complicated for him.

I hope he proves me wrong though!

Ginobilly
10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Hairston is a NBA player. The only question is at what level. If he can hit 3's at a good clip and continue to defend like he has shown before, he can be a solid rotational player.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The only thing missing from his arsenal is a jumpshot, but he has all the physical tools needed to make it in the NBA.

dbestpro
10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I like Hairston but I do not see him making the team. There simply is no room for him to play. SF/SG slots are filled with Mason, Manu, Jefferson, Finley, Bogans, and Haislip (PF/SF). That's three deep.

The only spot open for the 15th spot is at PG. So, unless Malik can learn to play point he is gone. This is the only reason Williams has a better chance to make the team. If Marcus does not improve I look for both Malik and Marcus to be cut with the Spurs filling the 15th spot with a PG from the waiver wire.

Texas_Ranger
10-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I like Hairston but I do not see him making the team. There simply is no room for him to play. SF/SG slots are filled with Mason, Manu, Jefferson, Finley, Bogans, and Haislip (PF/SF). That's three deep.

The only spot open for the 15th spot is at PG. So, unless Malik can learn to play point he is gone. This is the only reason Williams has a better chance to make the team. If Marcus does not improve I look for both Malik and Marcus to be cut with the Spurs filling the 15th spot with a PG from the waiver wire.

Jacque Vaughn to the rescue. :bang

MaNu4Tres
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM

Hairston will make the team. Manu will be the 3rd PG on the team followed by Mason being the 4th if it comes down to it.

Jerrels will be in Austin.

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
We don't need an "official" 3rd PG, and a roster spot won't be wasted on that..Pop is confident in Hill, so the #2 is locked..the fact that they're still giving Roger a good shot at playing PG and the fact that Mason has lost a lot of weight makes me think that they're going to split the 3rd PG duties, which I expected anyways..we're gonna see Roger and Manu playing PG once in a while..3rd PG is a completely pointless position to have when you have multiple playmakers on the perimeter, especially in our system..Manu is one of the best playmakers in the NBA, so there's really no chance of wasting a spot on a 3rd PG that will take touches away..

Williams doesn't have a better chance..his only legit shot to make this team was if Hill didn't improve IMO, and Hill has clearly improved a lot..Pop has a lot of confidence in him now..I don't see any chance that Williams has to make it..

Hairston has no chance of being cut in favor of the Spurs going out and spending more $ on a random PG that won't even play, especially when we already have Mason and Manu on the perimeter..it simply wouldn't make any sense..

Haislip has a lot more to prove than Hairston IMO..Haislip isn't going to beat out Blair, and he's gonna have a tough time beating out Bonner for minutes, since Matt already has a good niche in the NBA..

Hairston has to compete with Bogans and Williams..much easier competition..

dbestpro
10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Hairston will make the team. Manu will be the 3rd PG on the team followed by Mason being the 4th if it comes down to it.

Jerrels will be in Austin.

If that's the case, I hope Malik has lots of suits cause at 4th string he won't see much prime time.

EmantheSpursFan
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
haha i got there at 9:55 got to sit in the 5th row behind pop and iceman, Malik is in for sure, manu looks hungry, blair doesnt look like a rook, and theo still has some life still in his legs

Mason took some speed lessons from tony, the extra weight loss is really evident in the way he moved with the ball.

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 04:10 PM
The way I look at it is the only reason Hairston is not on the team is because Finley picked up his option and Bogans was available for so cheap. RJ/Finley/Bogans at the SF spot all have guaranteed money.

If Malik makes this team, which it looks like he should, he will play. If they keep Malik, despite the fact they have "guaranteed" guys, that means they like him and I would not be surprised to see him in the 9-10 man rotation. Especially with the way Bogans looked.

TIMMYD!
10-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Can anyone post Hill's shot, I missed it.

gospursgojas
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
there were many times that Mason would assume the point guard duties.

Thats all i had to hear....

Season's over.

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Thats all i had to hear....

Season's over.

Please.

Flux451
10-05-2009, 05:21 PM

I had a similiar observation. It seems like his effort maybe derived from combination of the NT injury, being skeptical and cautious of hurting himself again, and still trying to get his feet wet. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a player that needs competition to excel.

lennyalderette
10-05-2009, 07:58 PM
you know when your watching a game and you can tell who the stars are just by the way they move? well that was easily seen by blair i mean this guys when he dishes out his post up moves, seems almost unstopable! ginobili looked like a champion again, i mean he must of had 3 steals in the few minutes he played. you could tell rj can get to the rim whenever he chooses. ian did not play well, he seemed like he wasnt all there! timmy looked like he hadnt played, but got alot of rebounds!! i think. hairston lookd a million times better than williams, bogans is not a high %shooter by any means he would def. just be here for defense. haislip hit a three, and his shot looked very promising, hill CAN JUMP man that kid almost dunked over ratliff or ian, one of those but he got fouled, umm let see.. my fav part of the day was seeing ginobili looking like ginobili, im very serious when i say this, if ginobili maintains 100% he will lead us to a championship, i just could see how much energy hes dishing out!!! its going to be amazing

lennyalderette
10-05-2009, 08:01 PM
oh yeah and bonner played great and looked very confident, and finley is cut this year!!! so im glad to see michael staying in shape!!! tp was tp.oh yeah and DWAYNE JONES REALLY SUCKED!!! that guy seriously was a waste of space jones, williams,were terrible they look like they have no business on the floor with real nba players, ian looks like hes very cautious when theres alot of bodies and contact around, curtis jerells (however u spell that) looked way better than williams. sorry if i repeated myself on some stuff:flag:

NoOptionB
10-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Deepest team in the league.

ceperez
10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
i think. hairston lookd a million times better than williams,

That's total B.S. first, Hairston was being demolished by Jefferson in one stretch. Jefferson score 3 straight times and blocked Malik's shot all in one stretch. Malik just isn't going to be competitive at SF.

Now Williams was able to make several good passes to open players (not all of them converted). He's able to make the pass on top of the head of the smaller guard that's assigned to him. He was able to steal the ball on a fast break play. He was assigned to guard Parker.

Yes Malik scored a couple of times on top of Williams. Malik definitely is a much stronger finisher.

However, the key criteria is what holes do these players fill. I think Williams is more versatile.

Also, not very impressed with Bogans. Would rather have Malik than Bogans.

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Jefferson didn't score 3 straight times on Hairston..he scored twice, and Hairston fell on the first one off the screen, and RJ was in better position by the time Malik recovered..the 3rd one was Hairston tipping in an entry pass that was supposed to go to Jefferson, and it went in the basket..bad luck on 2 of those 3..there's no possible way you can credit that tip in as Hairston getting beat..RJ scored twice on him, and RJ is an all-star caliber player, no shame in that..Hairston also made RJ miss a couple of times, and he was right with him the entire time..

Jefferson didn't block Hairston..where was that?..I saw Hairston brick a J with Jefferson covering him..I also saw Hairston blow by Jefferson and get to the line..I don't remember any other significant plays with RJ guarding him..he also abused Williams both times he was being guarded by him..he also had 3 very impressive finishes at the rim, one of them was while Duncan contested and possibly blocked his shot as he was going up..

Williams really only had 1 good play the entire game, and it came on a 3 on 1, where he made an easy pass to Duncan(IIRC)..he wasn't significant defensively, he wasn't able to create his own shot or get in the lane effectively..he really wasn't relevant on the court..Williams is versatile for a D-league player, but he's too soft to play in the NBA IMO..he looks shaky on the floor..

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
That's total B.S. first, Hairston was being demolished by Jefferson in one stretch. Jefferson score 3 straight times and blocked Malik's shot all in one stretch. Malik just isn't going to be competitive at SF.

Now Williams was able to make several good passes to open players (not all of them converted). He's able to make the pass on top of the head of the smaller guard that's assigned to him. He was able to steal the ball on a fast break play. He was assigned to guard Parker.

Yes Malik scored a couple of times on top of Williams. Malik definitely is a much stronger finisher.

However, the key criteria is what holes do these players fill. I think Williams is more versatile.

Also, not very impressed with Bogans. Would rather have Malik than Bogans.

What game were you watching?

Quasar
10-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Did the Silver team with Manu + Hill win or lose???

Spurlady
10-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Silver team lost by two.

ceperez
10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Hairston fell on the first one off the screen, and RJ was in better position by the time Malik recovered..

Jefferson didn't block Hairston..where was that?..I saw Hairston brick a J with Jefferson covering him..

Williams really only had 1 good play the entire game, and it came on a 3 on 1

(1) It was 3 straight consecutive offensive possessions that RJ scored with Hairson on him. You can fudge it as much as you can, but that's the facts.

(2) Hairston had a really bad shot that almost missed the rim. I thought it was blocked but nevertheless same effect... forced a bad shot.... why.... Hairston style doesn't afford him the luxury of taking a good shot while being covered.

(3) He had a lot of good passes... what about Malik.... possibly zero.... Hairston is like he can't create his own shot, nor can he create shots for others.

Still... I would prefer Hairston over Bogans.... who just simply looked ordinary out there.