PDA

View Full Version : Brazil's Nene Vows to Retire By 2016 Olympics To Focus On Religion

duncan228
10-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Brazil's Nene Vows to Retire by 2016 Olympics to Focus on Religion (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/10/04/brazils-nene-vows-to-retire-by-2016-olympics-to-focus-on-religi/#)
By Chris Tomasson

DENVER -- It seemed an obvious enough question.

Rio de Janeiro was just named host for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Is Denver Nuggets' center Nene, a native of Brazil, expecting to then play for his home country?

"In seven years, I'm retired in seven years,'' Nene said in an interview Saturday with FanHouse.

Nene, entering his eighth season, turned 27 last month, and would seem to still have some good years left in 2016 and beyond. Is he serious about retiring before the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, when he will be just 33?

"Oh yeah,'' he said. "I'm serious.''

Nene, entering the fourth year of a six-year, $60 million contract, said he doesn't want to be a player who chases money. He plans to retire at a relatively young age to devote his life to God is the Answer, his Christian church in Brazil.

"Every year gets harder,'' said Nene, who vows to play at least five more NBA seasons, but offered no guarantee of even a sixth. "By seven, I'll stop. I won't go for more than seven because I have other goals. I have like a deal for my pastor. I want to get involved with the church right here in Brazil.

"If my financial situation is stable, why am I going to (want to) have more money? I'm not crazy for money. I think the best I can do is with the church ... I can help with things with my testimony.''

The devoutly religious Nene, who writes "Jesus'' on his shoes, believes he has a lot to offer his church. He is a cancer survivor, having undergone surgery for testicular cancer in January 2008.

Nene has had a number of injuries, including being lost for all but one game in 2005-06 due to a torn ACL. He has defended a lawsuit brought by his ex-manager, has fired an agent and has been through a divorce. He was married again earlier this year to a Colorado native.

"I can use my testimony to change people's lives,'' he said. "I can speak about what I've been through, all my injuries, being a cancer survivor, things like my ex-agent (Michael Coyne) and my ex-manager (Joe Santos, who lost a case against Nene in 2007 that sought several million dollars). I speak of all those things.''

Nene is sure he'll play at least five more seasons, which would take him through 2013-04, when he will be 31. But Nene offered no other timetable other than he will be retired by the 2016 Olympics.

While Nene plans to be nothing more than a spectator, he's still quite excited about Rio de Janeiro landing the Olympics.

"It's going to help a lot of kids get excited about sports,'' Nene said. "It's going to be a great support (in terms of additional facilities). I'm happy because (young Brazilian athletes) don't get a lot of things.''

Even without Nene, Brazil could have some current NBA players who won't be too old for the 2016 Games. Phoenix guard Leandro Barbosa and Cleveland forward Anderson Varejao both will be 33 then.

While he vows to play at least until 2014, Nene, who last played for Brazil in a 2007 Olympic qualifier, wouldn't speculate on whether that will include additional international play. Brazil has secured a berth for next year's World Championships in Turkey, and has a good chance to qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London.

Nene has gotten his Green Card, and plans within a few years to be a dual citizen in both Brazil and the U.S. He expects to divide his years in retirement between the two countries.

It's a retirement he said will come sooner than most expect.

iggypop123
10-04-2009, 08:33 PM
with his knees making it to 34 would be a feat

23LeBronJames23
10-05-2009, 12:14 AM
One of the players from Nuggets thats not a "Thug"

DAF86
10-05-2009, 01:13 AM
I bet he's virgin like Kaka.

resistanze
10-05-2009, 08:12 AM
I bet he's virgin like Kaka.
:lol Hasn't Kaka's been married for a few years now?

Culburn369
10-05-2009, 08:55 AM
The cancer scared him shitless. It's difficult to focus & concentrate when you were "that" close. Same thing happened to Rudy T. in Los Angeles.

duncan228
10-06-2009, 02:16 PM
'Tis season to shine like NBA all-star for Nene (http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13494452#)
By Benjamin Hochman
The Denver Post

In the past decade, only one Western Conference team did what the Nuggets are trying to do this season. The stars aligned above, fittingly, for the Suns in 2005, and three of their players competed in the NBA All-Star Game.

As for Denver, if Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups play as well as they did last last season, they will be headed to Dallas. But who's the third?

"Shaq is gone, Yao is out," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "This is the year of opportunity for Nene."

For the past couple of years, Karl has mentioned that Nene could someday be an all-star. This season might be his best chance. With Shaquille O'Neal in Cleveland and Houston's Yao Ming out with a foot injury, the 6-foot-11, 250-pound Nene is on the shortlist of the West's elite centers, along with the Lakers' Pau Gasol and the Suns' Amare Stoudemire, who technically is a power forward, as is Minnesota's Al Jefferson. Also, Emeka Okafor has joined New Orleans, bringing his 13.2 points and 10.1 rebounds per game to the Hornets.

As for the 27-year-old Nene, all signs point to him joining Denver's all-star constellation. He's coming off his best season as a pro and gained valuable postseason experience in helping the Nuggets advance to the Western Conference finals, averaging 14.6 points and 7.8 rebounds. He also finished second in the NBA in shooting (60.4 percent).

"Nene has a rather complete game for a post player," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said Monday. "He doesn't need a lot of shots and he gets points with those shots, and he plays aggressively, and with intensity. Those two things are impressive."

During preseason camp, Nene has been working on his footwork, and his jump shot, much like fellow post players Kenyon Martin and Chris Ander-sen. All of them love the idea of shooting from outside the paint, whether or not Karl loves the idea.

"I let the game come to me. I don't try to force it," Nene said.

It's a cerebral approach, especially when you have Anthony, Billups and the explosive J.R. Smith on the court. But this is the area where Nene can improve, according to Karl.

"I think a lot of veteran players have a way of pacing themselves," Karl said. "Nene needs to take a bigger piece of the responsibility. Sometimes players think that sounds good, but it's not as easy to do. Nene and I need to work as a team to figure out getting him more touches, better touches, better options, and I think you'll see us do that."

Denver's offense is often "flow and random," according to Karl. "Just playing basketball with spacing and good decisions. . . . And sometimes big guys get lost in that. It's a system that can be dominated by the guards. We have options and situations, but it seems like the reward system, as the season goes on, doesn't reward him. It's my making it a priority and him taking responsibility with efficiency and effectiveness."

On defense, Nene is a mauler when manning up. But Karl wants him to protect the basket more, as he does with Martin.

During the Nuggets' preseason game Saturday against Partizan Belgrade, fans saw glimpses of Nene at his focused best, and worst. In the first quarter, Nene picked up three fouls. But in the third quarter, there was Nene, Usain-bolting down the court in transition. He received a pass and dunked over Strahinja Milosevic, who had to travel back to Belgrade with the memory of Nene's No. 31 pressing against his face.

"I don't think there's any question, he's good enough to be an all-star," Karl said. "I keep yelling at him to be a leader."

JamStone
10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
That would be a 13 year career. For a big man with his injury and health issues, that's not cutting his career short. It would be about the time to retire, or close to it, even if he didn't have injury or health issues.