PDA

View Full Version : All-Star/All-NBA predictions

TD 21
10-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Eastern Conference All-Stars

Starters: PF- Garnett, SF- James, C- Howard, SG- Wade, PG- Arenas

Bench: PF- Bosh, SF/SG- Pierce, C- O'Neal, SG/SF- Carter, SG- Johnson, PG- Harris, SF- Granger

Western Conference All-Stars

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Anthony, C- Nowitzki, SG- Bryant, PG- Paul

Bench: PF- Stoudemire, PG- Williams, SG- Roy, PG- Parker, PF/C- Gasol, PG- Billups, SF- Durant

All-NBA teams

1st team: F- James, Duncan, C- Howard, G- Bryant, Paul

2nd team: F- Garnett, Nowitzki, C- Gasol, G- Wade, Roy

3rd team: F- Anthony, Pierce, C- Stoudemire, G- Parker, Williams

21_Blessings
10-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Dirk at C, what the fuck?

You forgot Bynum.

TD 21
10-04-2009, 07:22 PM

You forgot Bynum.

After the controversy in '08 surrounding Duncan being listed originally on the ballot as a C for the first time in his career and eventually with lobbying from the Spurs organization having it changed back to F, I think it's safe to say he'll be listed as an F on the ballot for the remainder of his career.

Yao is the usual starting C for the West and is out for the season and since there isn't a true C deserving of getting the start for the West, look for coaches to be allowed to bend the rules more than ever in order to get more deserving players onto the team. Nowtizki is a veteran and his team figures to be better than Stoudemire's, which is why I give him the edge for being named the starting C in the West, even though you can expect Duncan to start out on Howard defensively.

Bynum? At best, he'll be the 3rd best player on his team, but he could just as easily be 4th or more likely, 5th. I didn't even list more productive bigs like Jefferson, Aldridge, Boozer and West. Being a true C helps Bynum, but there's probably too many obstacles for him to overcome to make the team.

21_Blessings
10-04-2009, 07:42 PM
Bynum received more All-Star votes than Jefferson, Aldridge and Boozer. West won't be listed at C. The fact that he's on the Lakers means more national exposure and his team won't be terrible.

With Yao and Shaq out Bynum is easily in the mix if he stays healthy.

21_Blessings
10-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Really, people need to stop slobbering al over Jefferson. Puts 20+ points up on a horrendous team as the only guy that even resembles a 1st option and is one of the worst defenders in the league at his position. Bynum dominated him every time they went head to head on the floor last season.

TD 21
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Bynum received more All-Star votes than Jefferson, Aldridge and Boozer. West won't be listed at C. The fact that he's on the Lakers means more national exposure and his team won't be terrible.

Really, people need to stop slobbering al over Jefferson. Puts 20+ points up on a horrendous team as the only guy that even resembles a 1st option and is one of the worst defenders in the league at his position. Bynum dominated him every time they went head to head on the floor last season.

Like I said, I suspect the league will allow the coaches more leeway than ever in order to get the best of the best into the game, regardless of whether the West has a true center or not. Of the four I mentioned, only Jefferson is likely to be listed as a C (even though he's truly a PF), but the point remains: they're all considered better players.

Let's face it, the five best big men in the West are: Duncan, Nowitzki, Gasol, Stoudemire and Yao. Yao is out for the season and the other four are shoo-ins, so that leaves one or possibly no more positions for bigs. Bynum is in the mix, but he's a long shot. He's arguably the 5th best player on his own team and isn't likely to have overwhelming stats.

I don't disagree about Jefferson's stats being inflated because he's on a bad team, but he's still a more polished, productive player than Bynum. Of course Bynum has dominated him. Bynum is probably 7'1'' (he's listed at 7'0'') and at least 280, while Jefferson is probably 6'9'' (he's listed at 6'10'') and was 256-265 (he's reportedly slimmed down 30 pounds this off season). Huge size differential.

Hornets1
10-04-2009, 09:42 PM

Starters: PF- Garnett, SF- James, C- Howard, SG- Wade, PG- Arenas

Bench: PF- Bosh, SF/SG- Pierce, C- O'Neal, SG/SF- Carter, SG- Johnson, PG- Harris, SF- Granger

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Anthony, C- Nowitzki, SG- Bryant, PG- Paul

Bench: PF- Stoudemire, PG- Williams, SG- Roy, PG- Parker, PF/C- Gasol, PG- Billups, SF- Durant

All-NBA teams

Pretty damn good list sir:toast

Being a homer I'm taking Billups off(4 PGs is too many), and I'm putting Okafor in there:king

Ghazi
10-04-2009, 10:27 PM
21 you such a tool :lol

TIMMYD!
10-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Billups is overrated.

23LeBronJames23
10-04-2009, 11:07 PM

You forgot Bynum.

Bynum aint NO all star...

j-money24
10-05-2009, 12:02 AM
bynum aint no all star...

+1

TheMACHINE
10-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Let's face it, the five best big men in the West are: Duncan, Nowitzki, Gasol, Stoudemire and Yao. Yao is out for the season and the other four are shoo-ins, so that leaves one or possibly no more positions for bigs. Bynum is in the mix, but he's a long shot. He's arguably the 5th best player on his own team and isn't likely to have overwhelming stats.

What does being the 5th best player on your team have to do with being arguably the 2nd or 3rd best legit center in the west?

21_Blessings
10-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Bynum was clearly the third best player on the Lakers last season when he was healthy.

sook
10-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Bynum was clearly shit and an average role player at best last season.

Get over it.

Kobe Odom Gasol > Any combos with bynum

JamStone
10-05-2009, 02:22 PM
East:
Derrick Rose / Gilbert Arenas / Devin Harris
Dwyane Wade / Vince Carter / Joe Johnson
LeBron James / Caron Butler
Chris Bosh / Kevin Garnett
Dwight Howard / Shaquille O'Neal

Very good chance it will be Paul Pierce instead of Caron, but if the Wizards have a very good record when the coaches vote, I can see two Wizards making it.

West:
Chris Paul / Deron Williams / Tony Parker
Kobe Bryant / Brandon Roy
Carmelo Anthony / Kevin Durant
Amare Stoudemire / Dirk Nowitzki / Pau Gasol
Tim Duncan / Al Jefferson

Duncan might still be listed as a forward, but I think an injured Yao Ming gets the fan vote to start, which will allow Stern to move Duncan into the starting line up at the center position. Nash and Billups will have a tough time getting past those three great young points, unfortunately for them.

tlongII
10-05-2009, 02:27 PM
I think Roy, Aldridge, and Oden will all make the All Star team this year.

jazzypimp
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I think Roy, Aldridge, and Oden will all make the All Star team this year.

You dream big buddy boy

2Cleva
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
The ballot will tell it all. But neither Duncan nor Dirk will be listed at C.

The league hasn't changed the rules so the voters will pick the starters no matter what.

Only way Bynum isn't a starter is if he's hurt (obvious possibility) or Amare is listed at C and plays exteremely well.

Here are the centers from last year

Andris Biedrins, Golden State; Andrew Bynum, LA Lakers; Marcus Camby, LA Clippers; Tyson Chandler, New Orleans; Nick Collison, Oklahoma City; Al Jefferson, Minnesota; Chris Kaman, LA Clippers; Brad Miller, Sacramento; Greg Oden, Portland; Mehmet Okur, Utah; Shaquille O'Neal, Phoenix; Yao Ming, Houston.

Here are the final results

Player Votes
Yao Ming (Hou) 2,532,958
Shaquille ONeal (Pho) 1,850,018
Andrew Bynum (LAL) 549,131
Mehmet Okur (Utah) 437,106
Greg Oden (Por) 359,318
Andris Biedrins (GS) 357,984
Al Jefferson (Minn) 310,643
Tyson Chandler (NO) 242,356
Chris Kaman (LAC) 231,928
Marcus Camby (LAC) 158,491
Nick Collison (OKC) 154,309

Remember, its a popularity contest. I guess if Oden steps up and does well he has a chance but it will be hard for him to overcome Aldirdge to get popularity - esp if he's battling Pryz for minutes. Bynum, otoh, has the primetime spotlight and got touches even with Pau next to him.

tlongII
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Roy wont make it if TMAC bounces back.

Yah, like that will happen! :lol

2Cleva
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Roy is an All-Star lock. Aldridge has a good shot.

21_Blessings
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Bynum was clearly shit and an average role player at best last season.

You obviously weren't watching Lakers games in December/January. Because Bynum was clearly outplaying Odom during that time on both sides of the ball. Then Kobe busted his knee.

At 21, Bynum is only going to get better.

Get over it.

JamStone
10-05-2009, 03:54 PM
The ballot will tell it all. But neither Duncan nor Dirk will be listed at C.

Neither has to be listed as a center for either to start at center. As I alluded to in my post, if Yao Ming gets the most fan votes, he would be the starting center of the ASG. But his being injured would allow Stern to choose his replacement, which could easily end up being someone like Duncan or Dirk.

Now, if the NBA decides to not even list Yao on the ballot, then it's possible Yao isn't voted to start. However, with all the votes from China, it still wouldn't be impossible if there were enough write-in votes for Yao, especially if no other center in Western Conference is having a standout enough season to that point.

Mavs_man_41
10-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Laker fags, if Andrew fucking Bynum starts in the all star game I'll never watch this shit again

JamStone
10-05-2009, 05:46 PM
You're not supposed to watch the NBA all star game anyway. You tune in to watch the pre-game/introductions to see Shaq dance or rap and then you turn it off.

TD 21
10-05-2009, 07:44 PM
The league isn't stupid, they'll want the best of the best there. This means they'll probably put Yao on the ballot (much like they did Hill and Mourning back in the day, even though they knew they'd be out) in order to allow the coaches to select the replacement. Inevitably, they'll pick an established star like Nowitzki or Stoudemire. Whichever doesn't start alongside Duncan will come off the bench alongside Gasol.

Contrary to what you may say, Bynum is currently widely considered to be the Lakers 5th best player and his numbers aren't likely to be All-Star caliber. He'll be in tough to make it.

I'd say the first 10 (according to my lists) for both teams are a lock. I say Billups because he has an inflated reputation and the coaches love him. The West has about 6 All-Star caliber PG's, so 4 making it isn't a stretch and wouldn't be unprecedented.

21_Blessings
10-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Contrary to what you may say, Bynum is currently widely considered to be the Lakers 5th best player and his numbers aren't likely to be All-Star caliber. He'll be in tough to make it.

Bynum was widely considered the Lakers 3rd best player before his injury and the 2nd best player pre-Gasol trade. Yes his playoff performance was sub-par but he wasn't close to being healthy. Everybody knew that.

Numbers aren't nearly as important as team success. Coaches love putting guys like West in over Al Jefferson despite inferior numbers. Then there's exposure which will definitely influence fan voting. Bynum was THIRD in voting at the C position last year. Behind Shaq and Yao (both gone).

JamStone
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Damp is going to have to earn playing time by outplaying nedooG werD if he wants all star consideration.

Chieflion
10-06-2009, 02:19 AM
I really hope the coaches vote him in. I gues no one quite knows my reasoning behind this.

Per ShamSports:

[Damp's] Contract contains performance bonuses currently listed as "likely." Last season is fully unguaranteed, which becomes full guaranteed if 1) Dampier is selected to play in any three NBA All-Star Games between the 2004-2005 and 2009-2010 seasons, or 2) Dampier plays at least 2,100 minutes in the 70 regular season games in the 2009-2010 season in which he plays his most minutes (and if he plays in less than 70 regular season games in the 2009-2010 season, then he must play at least 2,100 minutes for the entire regular season). Confusing, yes. Useful as a trade chip, totally.

So, a couple days after the deadline Damp could be used a basically one of the biggest salary dumps ever. If economic times don't pick up who knows who the Mavs could pick up for Erick.
I did not post it, but I knew this already. He had to be an all-star, and this year seems like a good chance to.

TD 21
12-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Now that a little more than a third of the season has been played, here is my revised version...

Starters: PF- Garnett, SF- James, C- Howard, SG- Carter, PG- Wade

Bench: PF- Bosh, SF/SG- Pierce, PG- Rondo, SG/SF- Johnson, PF/SF- Smith, PF/C- Horford, PG- Williams

Starters: PF- Nowitzki, SF- Anthony, C- Stoudemire, SG- Bryant, PG- Nash

Bench: PF/C- Duncan, PG- Paul, PF/C- Gasol, PG- Williams, SG- Roy, SF- Durant, C- Bynum

All-NBA teams

1st team: F- James, F- Nowitzki, C- Howard, G- Bryant, G- Nash

2nd team: F- Duncan, F- Anthony, C- Gasol, G- Wade, G- Paul

3rd team: F- Garnett, F- Pierce, C- Stoudemire, G- Roy, G- Williams

To recap, this is not how I necessarily think these teams should play out, but rather how I think these teams will play out. Unfortunately, the league is based in large part on hype and perception, rather than reality.

In reality, Duncan has proved that he's still the best big man in the league this season and even though he strictly plays center at this point in his career, because he and the Spurs have always asked that he be considered a power forward, that is what he's considered on the All-Star ballot and what he'll probably be considered as well with regard to the All-NBA teams. So even though I think that he should start at center for the West and be the 1st team center, I know both, particularly the former, are unlikely.

My Fault
12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
All-star IMO means nothing, because you have people like 21_blessing who don't vote off basketball skills but off their man crush. If you ask me it shouldn't be off votes if you really want true all-stars. TMac getting the votes he is, is a joke.

mogrovejo
12-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Don't care for the All-stars, too complicated to calculate the votes and the politics. ~~

What it should be, IMO:

All-NBA 1st team:

C: Howard F: Duncan, James G: Bryant, Nash

All-NBA 2nd team:

C: Gasol F: Nowitzki, Garnett G: Wade, Williams

All-NBA 3rd team:

C: Stoudemire F: Anthony, Bosh G: Paul, Johnson

All-Defence 1st team:

C: Howard F: Garnett, Wallace G: Rondo, Westbrook

All-Defence 2nd team:

C: Bogut F: Artest, James G: Bryant, Kidd

TD 21
12-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Don't care for the All-stars, too complicated to calculate the votes and the politics. ~~

What it should be, IMO:

All-NBA 1st team:

C: Howard F: Duncan, James G: Bryant, Nash

All-NBA 2nd team:

C: Gasol F: Nowitzki, Garnett G: Wade, Williams

All-NBA 3rd team:

C: Stoudemire F: Anthony, Bosh G: Paul, Johnson

All-Defence 1st team:

C: Howard F: Garnett, Wallace G: Rondo, Westbrook

All-Defence 2nd team:

C: Bogut F: Artest, James G: Bryant, Kidd

I'll do my should be...

1st team: F- James, F- Anthony, C- Duncan, G- Bryant, G- Nash

2nd team: F- Nowitzki, F- Gasol, C- Howard, G- Wade, G- Paul

3rd team: F- Pierce, F- Bosh, C- Stoudemire, G- Williams, G- Roy

Toughest omission: Johnson.

Close call: Anthony over Nowitzki and Gasol

I'll do my top 10 at each position (based on recent history/play this year):

PF: Duncan, Gasol, Garnett, Nowitzki, Bosh, Stoudemire, Boozer, Jefferson, West, Randolph

SF: James, Anthony, Pierce, Durant, Gay, Granger, Smith, Butler, Iguodala, Lewis

C: Howard, Yao, Bynum, Lopez, Gasol, Kaman, Bogut, Nene, Perkins, O'Neal

SG: Bryant, Wade, Roy, Johnson, Ginobili, Carter, Allen, Hamilton, Ellis, Martin

PG- Paul, Williams, Nash, Parker, Billups, Rondo, Harris, Arenas, Rose, Kidd

Positionally, I know Duncan can be considered a C, Smith and Lewis a PF and Ellis a PG, but I decided to go by their natural positions.

Darthkiller
12-30-2009, 12:47 AM
no mention of Zbo who is averaging 20 10?

TD 21
12-30-2009, 12:52 AM
no mention of Zbo who is averaging 20 10?

I put him in tenth amongst PF's. Remember, this is predicated on not just play this year, but recent history, as well as playing at least some semblance of an all around game. Randolph is a dominant scorer/rebounder, but a pathetic defender and an unwilling passer. Based on this year alone, you could make the case for him being as high as seventh (or sixth, if you consider Duncan a C) amongst PF's.

mogrovejo
12-30-2009, 01:04 AM
I wrote here yesterday that ZBo should be considered for an ASG spot.

badfish22
12-30-2009, 01:52 AM
PF: Duncan, Gasol, Garnett, Nowitzki, Bosh, Stoudemire, Boozer, Jefferson, West, Randolph

ahhhh spurfan. gotta love em :lol

Findog
12-30-2009, 02:00 AM
My All Star teams. I don't care where guys are *officially* listed:

West:

C - Duncan
PF - Dirk
SF - Melo
SG - Kobe
PG - Paul

Bench: Nash, Roy, Durant, Gasol, Landry, D Will, Chris Kaman

East:

C - Dwight
PF - KG
SF - Bron
SG - Pierce
PG - Wade (Yeah, I know he's not *officially* a PG, but I'm not putting Rondo or Rose in the starting lineup ahead of Pierce)

Bench: Bosh, Joe Johnson, Mo Williams, Gerald Wallace, David Lee, Antawn Jamison, Al Horford

Dunc n Dave
12-30-2009, 04:04 AM
I'd usually be the guy making the homer picks, but this season Dirk deserves to start the ASG over Duncan. Despite Duncan's usual 20-10 numbers, Dirk is having one of his best seasons as a pro and has his team currently at #2 in the West, while the Spurs have underachieved. No other Spur besides Duncan deserves to be an All Star this season.

Definitely should be:
C- Stoudemire
PF-Dirk
SF-Anthony
SG-Bryant
PG-Nash
Reserves: Duncan, CP3, D.Williams, Roy, Gasol, Durant, Kaman

I think Billups gets beat out by Deron Williams this year. Chauncey averages 17pts and 5 ast, while D.Williams averages 20pts, 10asts.
And Kaman is averaging 20 and 9 while Bynum (albeit as a 4th or 5th option since Gasol has returned) is only averaging 15 and 8. Even though Kaman plays for a bad team, his stellar comeback season deserves some recognition, so he gets the nod over Bynum.

TD 21
12-30-2009, 06:32 PM
ahhhh spurfan. gotta love em :lol

You can definitely make the case for Nowitzki over Garnett at this point. Even though I'm not a Garnett fan, it's tough to write him off. His impact is no longer as quantifiable statistically as Nowitzki's, but defense does account for half the game and whether it shows up in the stats or not, Garnett is still a significantly better defender than Nowitzki.

You could also call Duncan a center and you can even be ignorant enough to pretend that Nowitzki is better than Duncan, but don't act like I'm a homer for picking Duncan ahead of Nowitzki. Not when the consensus is that he's still a better player and when there's evidence to suggest as much.

TD 21
04-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Training camp prediction...

All-NBA team

Current prediction...

All-NBA team

1st team: F- James, Durant, C- Howard, G- Bryant, Wade

2nd team: F- Nowitzki, Anthony, C- Duncan, G- Nash, Williams

3rd team: F- Boozer, Stoudemire, C- Gasol, G- Roy, Johnson

How I'd have it...

All-NBA team

1st team: F- James, Durant, C- Howard, G- Wade, Williams

2nd team: F- Nowitzki, Anthony, C- Duncan, G- Bryant, Nash

3rd team: F- Boozer, Stoudemire, C- Gasol, G- Billups, Ginobili

Honorable mention: F- Bosh, Smith, Randolph, C- Bogut, G- Roy, Johnson

Gary Neville
04-12-2010, 12:37 AM

IMHO Bynum should be the deserving winner even if Shaq and Shit weren't out. Only DH is slightly more dominant than Andrew while the likes of AJ and Aldridge are just equally as fine at their best.