PDA

View Full Version : RC Buford Comments on Tiago Splitter

El_Mago
10-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Today, Rookie Season holders had a private meeting/session before the open practice and scrimmage.

Anyways, we got to meet RC Buford and he talked about the process of assembling this years team, and what his expectations are for the season.

After, we were allowed a Question and Answer with him. He was pretty straight forward with all the answers. However, someone asked, "What's the status on Splitter and should we ever expect him in a Spurs uniform?"

RC smiled and said the possibility of Splitter coming over appeared good, and the chances of that occurring would be next summer. There was some pleasant cheers and the Q and A continued.

Nevertheless, I full expect the Spurs to acquire him next summer. It appears as if this has been aligned for a while (the CBA clause makes it easier to give him the MLE).

Lastly, everything was first class with the Spurs. They fed us a never ending abundance of pizza, gave away prizes, allowed us photos with the 4 titles, and even set aside the first two rows on the floor for the practice and scrimmage.

Great times!

:hat

Juanobili
10-04-2009, 10:41 PM
that's cool of them to do that for first time season holders

do we not have the best front office or what?

Interrohater
10-04-2009, 10:42 PM
sigh...why wasn't i born rich instead of incredibly good looking

Thompson
10-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Awesome, thanks for telling us.

Interrohater
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
For real tho, good news about Splitter. I'm getting tired about expecting him already.

xellos88330
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM

Be a rich persons trophy husband/wife. :greedy

Interrohater
10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Be a rich persons trophy husband/wife. :greedy
:lol or maybe I can sell my sig and avatar as adspace.

ducks
10-04-2009, 11:09 PM
For real tho, good news about Splitter. I'm getting tired about expecting him already.

go find a bad spurs forum then

eisfeld
10-04-2009, 11:37 PM
That would definitely be awesome... But I do not raise my hopes yet.

angelbelow
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM
glad you enjoyed it! man i wish i was in the area.

TDMVPDPOY
10-05-2009, 01:58 AM
09/10 79m committed
10/11 53m committed (gino, mason, bonner, finley, ratliff, bogans = FA)

splitter MLE = 5-5.5M TEAM PAYROLL = 58.5M
GINO MLE OR GTFO TEAM PAYROLL = 63.5M
fill rest with scrubs to stay under luxury tax cap

looks good....

mosdef17
10-05-2009, 03:06 AM
I think if all goes well with Manu this season I don't think we will use the MLE on him, we have his birds rights and will be able to re-sign him whilst over the cap. We will probably offer him maybe 3 years, $18m-$20. Slightly more then the MLE, around $6m a season. Maybe with the 3rd season partially guaranteed and a team option. This is only IF he performs well this season and makes it through relatively injury free.

Roger mason will probably re-sign close to the same contract he is on now, maybe a slight raise. Another team may also throw an unreasonable amount of money at him which may cause him to leave. But I wouldn't expect more then a 4 year, $16m deal for him, if that. Somewhere in there will hopefully fit Tiago Splitter, I don't like the idea of having to use the MLE on him, I think we could make another solid addition for that money. I also don't like the idea of using the MLE on someone we drafted. Didn't even know that was possible.

DMX7
10-05-2009, 03:15 AM

I thought those usually went together.

Bruno
10-05-2009, 03:46 AM
If Splitter hasn't a great season in Europe this year, Spurs will surely low ball him.
Giving him a big contract as a reward to have said "fuck you" to them in 08 isn't a Spurs-like move. They will only do that if he is really worth it.

Muser
10-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Now let's just hope he doesn't suck ass if he comes over.

Spursfanfromafar
10-05-2009, 06:14 AM
Although Manu and the Spurs are the perfect fit, it is difficult to say that he should come back with a $6 mil offer per year (for 3) if he meets expectations this year. For, if he meets expectations, the Spurs are atleast headed to WC finals at a minimum and the title for a maximum. $6mil is peanuts for a sheer winner that Manu is. I expect him to be snagged for a far greater offer to a team in the Free-Agent supermarket next year. It would be a pity, but the NBA is a business. If Lebron for e.g. decides to shift to the Knicks, Manu would be a good sidekick for Walsh to pry for e.g. (for about $9-12m).

kobyz
10-05-2009, 06:24 AM
i think they will give Splitter half of the MLE.
Splitter is the best big man in Europe, it was a great draft pick by R.C.

Solid D
10-05-2009, 08:40 AM
i think they will give Splitter half of the MLE.
Splitter is the best big man in Europe, it was a great draft pick by R.C.

He certainly is one of the best big men playing in Europe...maybe not the best. He put up some nice numbers again. Bourousis and Pekovic ended up on the All-Euroleague 1st team with Tiago slipping down to the 2nd team. He's been an underachiever when it comes to doing whatever it takes to help his team win, especially when closing out games. This is something he must learn to do if he is going to be the best big man.

tmtcsc
10-05-2009, 08:52 AM

Well, just think about all those not so good looking guys that are loaded. They have to buy their friends, buy expensive cars and big homes and have lots of parties to feel good about themselves. They are forced to entice beautiful and hot women to have sex with them in exchange for money. I mean, its really just so......yeah, that sucks for you. :lol

Money is good, but its definitely overrated. It's all about family, friends, good times and good health. Not that I'm rich but I'm comfortable. Money is notorious for buying lots of trouble and heartache.

TDMVPDPOY
10-05-2009, 10:09 AM
low balling him half of the MLE

might as well stay in europe earn big money....

Agloco
10-05-2009, 10:15 AM

Well, just think about all those not so good looking guys that are loaded. They have to buy their friends, buy expensive cars and big homes and have lots of parties to feel good about themselves. They are forced to entice beautiful and hot women to have sex with them in exchange for money. I mean, its really just so......yeah, that sucks for you. :lol

Money is good, but its definitely overrated. It's all about family, friends, good times and good health. Not that I'm rich but I'm comfortable. Money is notorious for buying lots of trouble and heartache.

Diverging from the thread subject, but:

While this is definitely a valid viewpoint, both money and all of the things you mentioned can go hand in hand. The biggest issue with money is that people don't openly discuss it, amongst friends or family. Its generally taboo to discuss anything money related for some reason. Worst of all, no one receives an education about how money works in school. Only when you get to college do you have the option of picking up anything remotely resembling an understanding of money, but by that time it's far too late. Bad habits are already ingrained, and what a travesty. This leads to a gross misunderstanding about how money really works and hence the stereotypical problems associated with it.

Money is a wonderful tool in the hands of: 1) Someone who isn't afraid of it, 2) Educated in the proper handling of it, and 3) Someone who has a good moral compass.

So go get yours......

tmtcsc
10-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Diverging from the thread subject, but:

While this is definitely a valid viewpoint, both money and all of the things you mentioned can go hand in hand. The biggest issue with money is that people don't openly discuss it, amongst friends or family. Its generally taboo to discuss anything money related for some reason. Worst of all, no one receives an education about how money works in school. Only when you get to college do you have the option of picking up anything remotely resembling an understanding of money, but by that time it's far too late. Bad habits are already ingrained, and what a travesty. This leads to a gross misunderstanding about how money really works and hence the stereotypical problems associated with it.

Money is a wonderful tool in the hands of: 1) Someone who isn't afraid of it, 2) Educated in the proper handling of it, and 3) Someone who has a good moral compass.

So go get yours......

I agree 100 %. I hope that high schools and even grade schools have begun an introduction to personal / family finance and the dangers of credit and credit cards.

By the time you are in college, its almost too late.

angelbelow
10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I think 3 million a year is a good start to be honest. Scola got that type of deal and he was the "best bigman" at the time. Now, obviously Tiago is younger and taller, but IMO 3-4 million starting with maybe a 10% back loaded contact would be fair.

lurker23
10-05-2009, 02:02 PM
09/10 79m committed
10/11 53m committed (gino, mason, bonner, finley, ratliff, bogans = FA)

splitter MLE = 5-5.5M TEAM PAYROLL = 58.5M
GINO MLE OR GTFO TEAM PAYROLL = 63.5M
fill rest with scrubs to stay under luxury tax cap

looks good....

That $53.5 million number is with 5 guys (Duncan, Jefferson, Parker, McDyess, and Blair). If you add Splitter and Ginobili at the prices you have listed, you're at $63.5 million for 7 guys, and you need to carry a minimum of 13. Even if you manage to sign the remaining 6 roster spots at an average salary of $1 million (unlikely, but possible if you keep Hill, Hairston, and Haislip at their current options for next year), you get to $69.5 million. That's REALLY close to this year's luxury tax line of $69.92 million (meaning, no room for error, giving anyone an extra $200,000 or anything, and that includes Ginobili), but it's also well above the projected luxury tax of $61.2 to $65 million. ( http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4312837 )

lefty
10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Good news

So far.......

ploto
10-05-2009, 07:55 PM
What else would you expect him to say to season ticker holders?

Das Texan
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
How come Splitter isnt slotted in at whatever pick he was since he was a first rounder?

Russ
10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Splitter will be worth the wait.

El_Mago
10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Splitter will be worth the wait.

Actually, Buford treated us just like he would the press.

Here is how a question in relation to Rasheed Wallace:

Ticket Holder: "What happened with Rasheed Wallace?"

Buford: "He signed with Boston."

Ticket Holder:" Yeah, but why?"

Buford: "Ask him."

Ticket Holder: "How?"

Buford: "Call him."

End of discussion.

I personally asked Buford about a contract extension pertaining to Manu Ginobili. He stated: that is something that will have to be looked at from various ways. Manu will do what is best for him and the Spurs will do what is in their best interest. There will be a time and a place for that, which would be next summer.

TIMMYD!
10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
If he would have come over this summer...Look out Fakers.

TIMMYD!
10-05-2009, 09:50 PM
You can still say that, but it wouldn't be that close with him.

ooshmay
10-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Gota bad feeling he is gona turn out kinda like Darko Milicic..

Spursfan092120
10-05-2009, 10:11 PM
http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7926255116/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/20/zoolander_face.jpg

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Only when you get to college do you have the option of picking up anything remotely resembling an understanding of money, but by that time it's far too late.

I agree 100 %. I hope that high schools and even grade schools have begun an introduction to personal / family finance and the dangers of credit and credit cards.

By the time you are in college, its almost too late.

I don't agree, and why should it be a school's responsibility and not a parent's? You can teach a kid the value of money from the age of 5 very easily, just as my parents did with me.

Lesson 1: do not give the kid things (except for birthday/Christmas) - give them limited pocketmoney, and if they want something make them SAVE for it or buy it on laybuy. Also, get them a savings account and regularly take them to the bank to make deposits. At the end of the year, show them the interest earned and explain what it means.

Lesson 2: when the kid is older, say 10-12, teach them that credit is simply DEFERRED, MORE EXPENSIVE PAYMENT (due to the interest). Make it clear that credit means PAYING MORE FOR THINGS.

Lesson 3: when the kid is about 14, encourage them to get a part-time job to pay for things they want.

It's not really that hard to teach people the value of money, you just have to avoid spoiling them!

Danny.Zhu
10-06-2009, 02:28 AM
That would definitely be awesome... But I do not raise my hopes yet.

Agreed.

tmtcsc
10-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I don't agree, and why should it be a school's responsibility and not a parent's? You can teach a kid the value of money from the age of 5 very easily, just as my parents did with me.

It's not really that hard to teach people the value of money, you just have to avoid spoiling them!

Those are all good lessons and you are right about it being a parent's responsibility. However, you are assuming that the parents know the lessons to teach their kids. I think current events dictate that parents need just as much education as their own children.

Not having a proper education in personal finance has become a national issue, not just a "handle it at home" problem. It's pretty sad and unfortunate.

TheSullyMonster
10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
What exactly do kids do at 14 for work?

Darkwaters
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM

Lesson 1: do not give the kid things (except for birthday/Christmas) - give them limited pocketmoney, and if they want something make them SAVE for it or buy it on laybuy. Also, get them a savings account and regularly take them to the bank to make deposits. At the end of the year, show them the interest earned and explain what it means.

Lesson 2: when the kid is older, say 10-12, teach them that credit is simply DEFERRED, MORE EXPENSIVE PAYMENT (due to the interest). Make it clear that credit means PAYING MORE FOR THINGS.

Lesson 3: when the kid is about 14, encourage them to get a part-time job to pay for things they want.

Wow, it seems if we'd all gotten those lessons growing up then the entire financial system wouldn't have been punched in the gut like it was. So you're saying somebody making 30,000 a year shouldn't buy a 300,000 house? Who would have thought?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick.