PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili In Full Frenetic Mode For Return To Court

duncan228
10-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Ginobili in full frenetic mode for return to court (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_in_full_frenetic_mode_for_return_to_court .html)
Mike Monroe

Spurs officials swear this is true: The first fans to claim their spots in line for the first-come, first-served seating at the team's free public scrimmage on Sunday afternoon arrived at roughly 4 in the morning.

It is not true that Manu Ginobili already was warming up inside the arena when the early birds staked out their places at the head of the queue.

Nobody would argue, though, that any Spur was more eager to set foot on the team's home court on Sunday than Ginobili, the former NBA All-Star and Sixth Man Award winner whose 2008-09 season was limited to 44 games by a variety of injuries.

The hero of Argentina's 2004 gold-medal Olympic team hadn't played before a crowd of any sort since April 5. Then, he flew back to San Antonio from Cleveland after experiencing pain in his right ankle during a game against the Cavaliers in which he played 22:36 and scored only four points.

What followed was a series of tests that showed a stress fracture in Ginobili's right distal fibula. The regimen of recommended rehabilitation consisted almost entirely of rest.

Worst of all, Ginobili was forbidden even to touch a basketball during his offseason at home, in Bahia Blanca, Argentina.

So if Sunday's public scrimmage, a first for the Spurs during their championship era, was intended primarily as a marketing tool for the Spurs organization, Ginobili turned it into a personal rediscovery of the joy of performance basketball.

“It was really fun,” he said. “I'm having fun every time I scrimmage, because I really missed it the last five or six months. But I'm getting to enjoy it a lot. To get to see the fans and feel the love and support was really great.

“I really can't wait until the season starts.”

By the time Sunday's game simulation concluded, Ginobili had thrilled about 7,600 basketball-starved witnesses with plays that best can be described as Argentine frenetic. He showed off the full range of athleticism, intensity and creativity that has made him one of San Antonio's favorites since he arrived as a rookie in 2002.

• He scored on 3-pointers, midrange jumpers, layins off baseline drives, even a dunk off a steal.

• On defense, he pestered Roger Mason Jr., Michael Finley and Richard Jefferson, end to end.

• And, as a playmaker, he produced the game's most creative pass, a long wraparound to George Hill, wide open in the corner, for a 3-pointer that temporarily gave Ginobili's silver team a one-point lead.

Anyone worried that Ginobili's long rehabilitation from injury may have robbed his game of its quirky unpredictability was comforted by his actions preceding the pass to Hill.

Splitting a double-team at the top of the key, Ginobili zipped between Antonio McDyess and Ian Mahinmi, drawing the defense to him as he charged down the lane. Met near the foul line by two more defenders, he went behind his back to thread a perfect pass to Hill, alone in the right corner.

It was just the sort of play that has characterized Ginobili's game and set him apart from all but a handful of premier perimeter players.

It was precisely the reassurance the fans, early and late arrivals alike, wanted to see.

“Definitely, I'm feeling like myself,” Ginobili said. “It's not that I was planning on doing that. My first idea was to get to the rim. But I had the ball out here (to his left side), so it was just as easy to throw it around the back as the front.

“George is shooting the ball really well, so it ended up being a nice play.”

Indeed, if Ginobili's play on Sunday was most encouraging to the team's supporters, Hill's play was nearly as hopeful. Running the point for the silver team nearly start to finish, he was controlled and effective.

“George Hill has been the most exciting part of training camp thus far,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich declared. “He has really welcomed the responsibility we've given him to be the backup point; to not only play defense, but to be explosive offensively and show additional leadership at the point.

“He's doing all those things. The summertime really helped him, and he has been the most impressive of anybody in camp to this point.”

Express-News Scrimmage Slideshow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/San_Antonio_Spurs_Scrimmage_100409.html?c=y&page=1

Spursmania
10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
Can't get enough of the Spurs right now. Thanks for posting Duncan228:toast

mVp
10-04-2009, 11:51 PM
“I really can't wait until the season starts.”

That makes two of us.

:downspin:

timvp
10-04-2009, 11:53 PM
“George Hill has been the most exciting part of training camp thus far,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich declared. “He has really welcomed the responsibility we've given him to be the backup point; to not only play defense, but to be explosive offensively and show additional leadership at the point.

“He's doing all those things. The summertime really helped him, and he has been the most impressive of anybody in camp to this point.”

Great news :tu

Hill's aggressiveness was night and day. He didn't do much of his pass-it-to-the-shooting-guard-and-run-to-the-corner routine.

Interestingly, Pop had Hill defending multiple positions even though he was playing point guard. Last year, when he was playing point guard, he almost always defended the opposing point guard. That look may come in handy in certain matchups this season, especially against teams with a weak backup point guard.

HarlemHeat37
10-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Manu doesn't look injured in any way..he looks as explosive as I remember him being in a long time..hopefully it keeps up..you forget how he can make crazy plays that can just demoralize a team..just gotta hope for health, all we can do..

Blackjack
10-05-2009, 01:22 AM
The Hill comments are definitely what caught my eye, as well.

I'm not sure if it's somewhat of an overstatement to give Hill a little added confidence or not, but I'm glad to hear he's progressing and taking the next step.:tu

WildcardManu
10-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Still Spurs starved here.

DBMethos
10-05-2009, 06:40 AM
I loved Hill's performance in that scrimmage...we might as well consider this more aggressive, more involved George Hill as one of our "new" additions!

Also, it was great to see Manu back out there. :tu

Spurs Brazil
10-05-2009, 09:15 AM
On defense, he pestered Roger Mason Jr., Michael Finley and Richard Jefferson, end to end.

RJ was on Manu team

Very happy to see Pop likes what Hill is doing. I hope we’ll see a lot of Hill in preseason

duncan228
10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Manu Ginóbili is back after summer of rest, love (http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/10/03/manu-ginobili-is-back-after-summer-of-rest-love/)

It’s been nearly a year and a half since Manu Ginóbili has been healthy and well-rested.

After injuring himself in the 2008 Beijing Olympics, playing in just 44 games the following season because of injury, Manu sat out this year’s FIBA Americas Tournament and was forced by the Spurs to limit his summer activity to treadmills and posting on his Facebook fan page (http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili).

Summer of Rest

With months of rest, Manu has completely healed the stress fracture he suffered late last season and came into the NBA preseason, quietly reminding the Spurs why he was so important to their team.

“Just watching in practice makes us remember how much we missed (Manu) last year, and even the year before when he was half speed in the playoffs,” coach Gregg Popovich said after Friday’s session. “We don’t realize how much we missed him until we saw him play. He adds so much.”

The last time Manu took an entire NBA off season (Argentine winter) off was in 2007 — and Ginóbili came back to average a career-best 19.5 points, 4.8 rebounds, 4.5 assists, in 31 minutes.

With no offensive weaknesses (http://www.interbasket.net/news/2009/02/20/nba-scouting-report-manu-ginobili-has-no-weaknesses/), Ginóbili just doesn’t score, but his aggressiveness, uncanny sense of where his teammates are, and his ability for abstraction helps keep a structured San Antonio offense efficient.

“(Ginóbili) creates situations for us where we can score,” Popovich said. “The way we were built, Michael and Bruce (Bowen), they needed Manu out there to help them get the shots they were used to. Him coming back makes everybody better.”

You can read the full article at MySanAntonio.com (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/10/all-abuzz-about.html).

Summer of Love

Here at Interbasket, we haven’t forgotten about Ginóbili, one of our favorite active players, and we’ve been taking mental notes how many props Ginóbili has been receiving in this offseason.

Over at Ball Don’t Lie of Yahoo! Sports, where they have been doing a bunch of the “decade’s top-10 lists,” Ginóbili found himself on those lists no less than two times; named as the sixth best shooting guards of the decade (link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-10-best-shooting-guards-of-the-last-decade?urn=nba,192484)) and the decade’s best sixth men (link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/The-10-best-sixth-men-of-the-decade?urn=nba,189645))

Then at NBA.com, Minnesota Timberwolves swingman Corey Brewer confirmed during an interview, saying that personally, Manu, not Kobe, Ray Allen, or other shooting guards, is his toughest cover in the league.

Despite playing only 44 games last season, SLAM Online named Ginobili the 29th best player in the NBA (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/slamonline-top-50/2009/09/top-50-manu-ginobili-no-29/); above players like Shaquille O’Neal (#30), Carlos Boozer (#32), Hedo Türkoğlu (#35), and Ray Allen (#36).

It’s nice that the crafty, high-IQ, shooting guard is getting a lot of love over the off season.