PDA

View Full Version : Blazers fans pack Rose Garden for scrimmage

tlongII
10-05-2009, 12:25 AM
http://columbian.com/article/20091004/SPORTS02/710059960/-1/SPORTS

PORTLAND, Ore. — Yes, it was just a scrimmage.

And, yes, any statistics kept during the game were relatively meaningless.

What really mattered was the fact that 16,752 fans packed the Rose Garden on Sunday to get their first sight of the 2009-10 Portland Trail Blazers in action.

The attendance set a record for the Blazers’ annual Wells Fargo Fan Fest. And while the sometimes messy contest was only an intrasquad warmup, it at times had all the trappings — and excitement — of a big-time NBA game.

Just ask Jarron Collins, an eight-year league veteran trying to make this season’s Blazers team.

Collins spent the first week of Portland’s training camp backing up centers Joel Przybilla and Greg Oden. Prior to Sunday, all Collins had seen of Blazers basketball was the inside of a practice facility in Tualatin, Ore.

But Collins got a first-hand look at Blazermania on Sunday. And the NBA veteran was stunned.

"Is it always like this?" Collins said after the scrimmage. "It was like the first game of the NBA playoffs or something."

Collins was not the only first-time Blazer who walked off the Rose Garden floor impressed.

Point guard Andre Miller, a 10-year veteran, said he had never seen so many fans turn out for a preseason scrimmage. And the normally reserved Miller spoke with a smile as he reflected on a charged crowd that showed up early and stayed late.

"It says a lot about how they feel about Blazer basketball," Miller said. "I’m just happy to be a part of it. It’s definitely something to go out and play for."

As for the scrimmage, Blazers coach Nate McMillan said he liked what he saw in a Portland team that just completed its first week of training camp. According to McMillan, the performances of Nicolas Batum, Steve Blake, Martell Webster and Greg Oden stood out. In addition, McMillan stated he was encouraged by the Blazers’ success running the court during offensive transition, while praising the team’s overall execution, rhythm and timing.

"I thought our guys did a good job," McMillan said. "It was a competitive game."

McMillan said camp has gone well, but added his team is now ready to play against an opponent wearing a different jersey.

The Blazers officially begin their preseason schedule Tuesday, with a 7 p.m. contest against the Sacramento Kings at the Rose Garden.

"That is an opportunity for us to really measure where we are," McMillan said.

During the scrimmage, the Blazers were divided into two teams, Black and White, and competition stretched over four 10-minute quarters.

A Black squad that started Batum, Blake, LaMarcus Aldridge, Joel Przybilla and Brandon Roy won, 79-70.

Batum scored a game-high 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting, and showed no signs of being hampered by a recent right-shoulder injury.

Blake recorded 17 points and a game-high 11 assists. He hit 5 of his 8 3-point attempts, and was chosen most valuable player of the event.

Blake said it was good to watch this season’s Blazers squad — one that faces high expectations, following a 54-win season and a first-round appearance in the NBA playoffs last year — finally play in front of a crowd.

"I see it everyday. I know how good these guys are and how good they’re going to be this year," Blake said. "I’m definitely looking forward to the regular season."

Thousands of Blazers fans began lining up for entrance into the venue about an hour before doors were opened, hoping to get as close to the court as possible during the free, general-admission event. Many wore black-and-red Portland shirts, which drew the notice of Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard.

"I’ve never seen this many jerseys before," Pritchard said.

Portland’s fans kept pouring in, nearly filling the upper section of the Rose Garden. A concert-like, charged atmosphere was created — one that left a major impression on NBA veterans and longtime coaches.

McMillan said he recalled playing previous fan fest scrimmages in front of as few as 1,000 fans.

But that was when the Blazers had fallen out favor with their loyal fans, and the team was known more for its off-the-court troubles than its on-the-court victories.

Now, Portland is once again a team that is prized by the region it represents. And Blazermania is back.

"We’ve definitely got the best fans in the league. Maybe the best fans in all of professional sports," Przybilla said. "It just showed tonight, with them being out there."

lil_penny
10-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Fun game to watch. Glad to see webster back finally, he was looking great out there.

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 12:48 AM
How do you think Rudy Fernandez's playing time will be effected this year?

tlongII
10-05-2009, 12:51 AM
Rudy will actually get a little more PT this year. He's too good to keep off the court.

tlongII
10-05-2009, 01:12 AM
Tlong, Penny, what do you guys think will happen with all the small forwards you got. I see Martell or Bo starting, with Batum getting no minutes because the previous two will be screaming for starters minutes. If Martell is rolling, he could relieve Roy at the two, but Rudy would be shit out of luck.

I see Martell and Nic getting most of the minutes at SF. Rudy will back up B-Roy and get a few minutes at SF as well. Travis is the one that will be SOL.

lil_penny
10-05-2009, 01:25 AM
I see Martell and Nic getting most of the minutes at SF. Rudy will back up B-Roy and get a few minutes at SF as well. Travis is the one that will be SOL.

Agreed.. for some reason I see troutlaw still backing up the pf spot and martell jumping into the starting 5. Just have to see what happens with this clusterfuck I guess lol

lil_penny
10-05-2009, 01:40 AM
I knew you were going to say that about Outlaw... (excuse the Bo.) Do you see him shipped out for another big man? And what about Bayless. Pritchard has been known to do some dumb things over the last few years. You think Mitch could swindle him for Luke and lunch, and call it a deal?

As long as we get bill for some guest color commentary once in a while I'm down! Can never have enough of his classic lines lol.. but I don't see pritch trading bayless for some reason he would rather see him ride the pine.

tlongII
10-05-2009, 01:50 AM
I knew you were going to say that about Outlaw... (excuse the Bo.) Do you see him shipped out for another big man? And what about Bayless. Pritchard has been known to do some dumb things over the last few years. You think Mitch could swindle him for Luke and lunch, and call it a deal?

What dumb things are you talking about? :lol

Darthkiller
10-05-2009, 07:57 AM
from the recaps i heard nic batum was the best players out there last night so i am guessing he is gonna keep his starting job.

Culburn369
10-05-2009, 09:04 AM
What dumb things are you talking about? :lol

Having to pay that one fellow (Miles?) all those millions cause he couldn't extort his fellow team owners to conspire to criminal acts.

jazzypimp
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Having to pay that one fellow (Miles?) all those millions cause he couldn't extort his fellow team owners to conspire to criminal acts.
:lmao:lmao:lmao

I hope kharma bite Bitchard in the ass!!

tlongII
10-05-2009, 09:47 AM

You ain't tryin if you ain't cheatin!