PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Marcus Haislip interview

Samr
10-05-2009, 10:18 AM
The San Antonio Spurs signed Marcus Haislip on July 5, 2009. His journey to San Antonio is not unlike other current and former Spurs. Much like Bruce Bowen, Ime Udoka and Roger Mason Jr., Marcus Haislip has earned his way to San Antonio by way of an extended tour of Europe.

Hailed as an uberathletic forward coming out of college, Marcus Haislip was drafted 13th overall by the Bucks in 2002, and he spent the first two years of his career on their bench. He moved on to Indiana, but his career struggled to find a launching point to propel his potential to the heights of actual production.

In 2005 Haislip took a contract in Turkey, and then another in 2006. By 2007 Haislip had become one of the best players in Europe, and began playing for Spanish ACB club and Euroleague powerhouse Unicaja Malaga. DraftExpress describes his transition in this way:

…Haislip has established himself as not only one of Europe’s most exciting players, but his skill set is radically different than it was when he left Indianapolis for Istanbul.

That last part–the radically different skill set–prompted my curiosity. I spoke with Marcus Haislip last week, and I asked him about the evolution of his game.

Why did you decide to leave the NBA for Ulkerspor?

MH: “Playing time. I wanted to develop my game, but I wasn’t getting the playing time I needed to get better. Leaving the NBA was hard, but playing overseas provided me with an opportunity to be on the court.”

So your growth as a player came as a result of more playing time? Is it that simple?

MH: “No. Other things helped. I was able to spend more practice time with coaches, running drills, working on my shot. It’s not just the playing time. It’s a combination of all those things.”

It’s hard to place you at one position. How were you used in Turkey and Spain?

MH: “At started out at center. When I first got their they had me playing a lot of 5. But I gradually become more of a face up 4. Over the last couple years I’ve learned to put the ball on the floor. That’s something Sergio Scariolo [Unicaja Malaga head coach] really helped me with. So now I can play some small forward too.”

What did Scariolo do to bring out those perimeter skills?

MH: “He just worked with me a lot. Before and after practice. Early in the morning. He challenged me to really work on my ball handling. He wanted me to be able to shoot from the perimeter, but also put the ball on the floor and take it to the basket. He spent a lot of individual time with me, and it helped.”

Why come back to the NBA? You were a star in the second best league in the world. Why give that up?

MH: “Ask any guy over there, and they’ll tell you they want to play in the NBA. It’s no different for me. I wanted to come back to prove something to myself and others. I want to prove that I belong in this league.”

What position will you play in San Antonio?

MH: “On offense, I’m playing power forward mostly. Kind of a perimeter 4. But on defense, Pop has me guarding some small forward. On defense, I think they’ll use me against 3 and 4s. Maybe a little 3 on offense, but right now I’m learning the 4. I’ll play wherever coach thinks I can help the team. I leave that stuff to the coaches.”

The Spurs have had a defensive shortcoming since Robert Horry retired. They haven’t had a power forward with the length or athleticism to guard face up power forwards like Dirk Nowitzki. Can you see yourself helping on that front?

MH: “Absolutely. Yes. I can guard those guys. I can keep up with them. One thing that helps, something you have to remember, is that in Europe every talented big man faces the hoop. They’re all face up bigs. They’re out on the perimeter every game. So defensively, I’m used to moving my feet with perimeter bigs.”

What is the most difficult part about camp so far?

MH: “Oh, just learning the system. Trying to figure out what the team wants from me, how I can help us win. And the terminology. It’s just basketball wherever you go, but the terminology changes. It takes awhile to figure all that stuff out. It’s really important on defense. Pop wants us to be a great defensive team. To protect the paint. Talking to one another, knowing the terminology makes a big difference. That’s the most challenging part of camp.”

Why did you choose the Spurs?

MH: “It’s just a good fit for my game and what they need. You know, everyone wants to play for the Spurs. First class. They treat everyone right. My reasons are the same as every other guy here. It’s a great franchise.”

Has Pop yelled at you yet?

MH: “No, not yet. But I’m sure it’s coming. I’ll get mine.”

link (http://www.google.com/reader/view/#stream/feed%2Fhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.48minutesofhell.com%2Ffeed %2F)

rjv
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Has Pop yelled at you yet?

MH: “No, not yet. But I’m sure it’s coming. I’ll get mine.”

smart lad.

raspsa
10-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, at least the guy is confident in his abilities and seems comfortable with the roles Pop has outlined for him. So he will be a 3/4 kind of guy w/c is just the flexibility that the Spurs have been lacking all these years. If he can deliver the goods, his acquisition may be one of the most impactful of any of the new faces on the team. Keeping fingers crossed...

Libri
10-05-2009, 10:59 AM
It’s hard to place you at one position. How were you used in Turkey and Spain?

MH: “At started out at center. When I first got their they had me playing a lot of 5. But I gradually become more of a face up 4. Over the last couple years I’ve learned to put the ball on the floor. That’s something Sergio Scariolo [Unicaja Malaga head coach] really helped me with. So now I can play some small forward too.”

What position will you play in San Antonio?

MH: “On offense, I’m playing power forward mostly. Kind of a perimeter 4. But on defense, Pop has me guarding some small forward. On defense, I think they’ll use me against 3 and 4s. Maybe a little 3 on offense, but right now I’m learning the 4. I’ll play wherever coach thinks I can help the team. I leave that stuff to the coaches.”These two quotes clearly demonstrate that, in today's NBA, a players chances of succeeding lies in his versatility and his ability to play multiple positions. Thus the boundaries between C and PF, SF and SG, SG and PG has become more blurred. The Spurs staff has built a team of multipurpose players capable of adapting to the diverse styles of their opponents. This will pay huge dividends when confronting teams whose players don't fit the traditional mold, for example, a PF/C with the athleticism and ball handling skills of a guard.

benefactor
10-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Haislip is what everyone is wanting James Gist to be...the small ball 4/long 3 that is athletic and aggressive on the offensive end and can guard other perimeter 4's/long 3's. His development in Europe has given him a lot better shot to make it too. Shooting and defense will make or break him. Hopefully he can knock down those open looks and work hard to learn the rotations and show good effort on the defensive end.

rjv
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Haislip is what everyone is wanting James Gist to be...the small ball 4/long 3 that is athletic and aggressive on the offensive end and can guard other perimeter 4's/long 3's. His development in Europe has given him a lot better shot to make it too. Shooting and defense will make or break him. Hopefully he can knock down those open looks and work hard to learn the rotations and show good effort on the defensive end.

haislip is why gist is going back to europe and he is the reason mahimini will be tested.

all_heart
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Haislip may be a young Horry in disguise. I hope he gets the minutes to prove himself. Just another X-factor for the Spurs! I can't wait for the season to start, it's gonna be a great year! 60+ wins?

mountainballer
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Haislip has a significant size advantage over Gist. (not the freakish wingspan though)
people should not forget, Haslip measured almost exactly with the same numbers like Drew Gooden did. (who most call prototypical for a PF and big enough to even play some Center)

Gooden: w/o shoes:6' 8.75", in showes: 6' 10", wingspan: 7' 0.5", reach: 8' 10.5"
Haislip: w/o shoes: 6' 8.5", in showes: 6' 9.75", wingspan: 7' 0", reach: 8' 11"

Ditty
10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm a huge fan of his and hope he is successeful this time, at the practice yesterday he seemed like he has alot of pontential, but looked a little lost but it's only his 4 or so practice,dirk stopper would be nice his defense looked pretty good but made some dumb fouls, hope he continues to get better

tp2021
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
If Haislip succeeds, I doubt the Spurs retain Gist's rights forever like they do with their draft and stash players, since Gist is American. I can see them letting him go to have a shot elsewhere, like McClinton or that other guy.

Agloco
10-05-2009, 12:09 PM
The Spurs have had a defensive shortcoming since Robert Horry retired. They haven’t had a power forward with the length or athleticism to guard face up power forwards like Dirk Nowitzki. Can you see yourself helping on that front?

MH: “Absolutely. Yes. I can guard those guys. I can keep up with them. One thing that helps, something you have to remember, is that in Europe every talented big man faces the hoop. They’re all face up bigs. They’re out on the perimeter every game. So defensively, I’m used to moving my feet with perimeter bigs.”

Will he actually do it is the question......:lol

If he proves to have even half the smarts and talent that Horry did, I'd say he's a steal.

DPG21920
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I am still a little iffy on his ability to knock down 3's. We will see if he can do it at a serviceable clip.

MoSpur
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I hope he at least plays smart enough and hard in enough in practice to earn Pop's trust so that he can play 5-10 minutes a game.

boutons_deux
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Unlike a lot of entitled ballas, he seems very serious about the game and self-improvement.

Sounds like he's paid his dues and is ready to get some NBA PT.

Mr. Body
10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
In the past this is the sort of guy we'd base almost our full off-season expectations on -- but now with other high-profile additions, he can be more of a wild card. If he succeeds, great, but there's not much expected of him.

barbacoataco
10-05-2009, 02:45 PM
haislip is not undersized and in today's NBA that can really come in handy.

Samr
10-05-2009, 08:11 PM
In the past this is the sort of guy we'd base almost our full off-season expectations on -- but now with other high-profile additions, he can be more of a wild card. If he succeeds, great, but there's not much expected of him.

Ratliff, Haislip and Bogans would have been a nice off-season. Throw in the Hairston/Williams battle, the return of Manu, and the potential in Mahinmi and you have a really happy fan base.

As for the other three additions? Just a basketball on the Larry O'Brien.

all_heart
10-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Ratliff, Haislip and Bogans would have been a nice off-season. Throw in the Hairston/Williams battle, the return of Manu, and the potential in Mahinmi and you have a really happy fan base.

As for the other three additions? Just a basketball on the Larry O'Brien.

A healthy Manu is huge, I mean we all know what he is capable of and considering he's been MIA 2 playoff years in a row?! Throw in RJ and the others... it's gonna be nice!!:lobt2:

Danny.Zhu
10-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Will he actually do it is the question......:lol

If he proves to have even half the smarts and talent that Horry did, I'd say he's a steal.

Absolutely.

SamoanTD
10-06-2009, 03:29 PM
man i got nothing bt good feelings about haislip man i think hes gna turn sum heads when he steps on the court i think hes gna have his presense felt very quickly.