PDA

View Full Version : Comfortably Strung

tlongII
10-05-2009, 02:09 PM
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/comfortably-strung.html

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bt_AXr_u6rQ/SsgtdvbPBYI/AAAAAAAABVo/fF82E0pDB7Y/s400/odencamp.jpg

This has been the most intense, most competitive training camp I have seen since I started covering these things back in 1992. But, as everyone has mentioned during the last five days or so, this camp has had its share of light moments too. In short, this team looks hungry, mature, professional, and on an even keel- exactly the way Nate McMillan likes it.

The last few years McMillan has talked of "getting his program in place." It's clear this thing is practically on auto pilot now. The players self police, take over when things get sloppy, and have the confidence to have a little fun as well. There have still been moments when McMillan has had to bark, but they've been much fewer, and shorter, than in the past.

It's clear that accomplishing an environment like this is much easier when you build leadership from within. Last Monday, when I talked to each player (who isn't in his first McMillan camp), the common theme was "I know what to expect. There won't be any surprises."

Greg Oden, who was one of the first players I talked to Monday, was the first to bring this theme. He said, "it's so much easier having a year under my belt. Nothing is new anymore, and I don't expect to have any moment where I wonder where I should be, or what I should be doing." And, as hoped, Oden has had a very, very good camp. More on him in a moment.

As for the guys who are experiencing their first camp as a Blazer, the strongest comment came Saturday from Andre Miller. "I've never been around a team this organized and this determined. Chemistry wins in this league, and this team absolutely has that." Miller has continued to look better, and more comfortable as camp has gone on.

As all the practices have, Saturday's had a few very entertaining moments. One in particular stood out. You've heard that Oden has been absolutely dominant at times during training camp, and is quicker, more confident, and just plain better than we've seen him before.

Toward the end of practice Saturday morning, during a drill which involves a three-on-two situation at one end, that turns into a two-on-one at the other, Dante Cunningham decided to challenge Oden at the rim. Oden cuffed the shot attempt in his right hand, and then took off with the ball. Cunningham, in a full sprint (and isn't a slow guy), couldn't catch Oden, who dribbled coast to coast and slammed the ball down with two hands. While maintaining professionalism, the players erupted. Oden, who hung on to the rim and swung completely under, landed, and while laughing, flew up into the air and did a full body bump with Martell Webster. Even the coaches were smiling, as the drill continued, with the next group of players, without missing a beat.

This wasn't a moment that even approached the line of clowning around, and again, the drill continued to be very sharp. And, moments like this are even difficult to describe, because they happen a lot, without anyone losing focus. Being around camp it's easy to spot these signs of chemistry, while being in awe of the execution at the same time (because bad teams can have good chemistry too).

Sunday is the Wells Fargo Fan Fest at the Rose Garden, and the doors open at 5pm. If you haven't been to one of these in the past, I highly recommend it. It's a chance to see the team up close out on the concourse, and then watch them go through a bit of a practice, followed by a full scrimmage.

It's sure to be part fun, all hard work, and mostly just entertaining- just like training camp.

jazzypimp
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen this kind of glorified, over exagerated reporting in any other city than portland and they just keep piling it on. Tschlong is taking on the portland medias personality as well.:lol

WildcardManu
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
I wonder if they're mixing the water with the Blazer kool-aid over there.

23LeBronJames23
10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
damn, half of the threads on ST are made by tlong

:)

Spursfan092120
10-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Seriously...isn't there a thread limit in a day?