PDA

View Full Version : Re-inventing yourself

angel_luv
10-05-2009, 02:14 PM
What have you guys done in the past and/ or what are you currently doing to re-invent yourself and how did it work out for you?

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 02:21 PM
I stopped calling and contacting every single person I knew including all friends and family for about a year.

Other than my Mother and my sister I don't talk to anyone that I knew from 6 or so years back.

You'd be amazed who doesn't bother calling or coming by when you don't call them first.

JamStone
10-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Eat.

I weigh about 30 more pounds than I did in my early 20s.

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2009, 02:31 PM
I reinvented myself from a dope smoking, rock n rolling long haired sex fiend to a redneck beer drinking cowboy sex fiend.

Destro
10-05-2009, 02:36 PM
i got a phd then moved across the country

ashbeeigh
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
I had something semi amusing to say...but I lost it. I wish I had the guts to "re invent" myself. Why do you ask Angel?

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 02:41 PM
This is all very normal Angel. Typical post marriage speak to be wanting more out of life. I bet you're bored out of your mind. Read that chapter of the bible 30 times this month? Wore out a few hail mary necklaces?

There has to be more, right? Answer: No.

Life is a bore.

ATRAIN
10-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I reinvented myself from a dope smoking, rock n rolling long haired sex fiend to a redneck beer drinking cowboy polesmoker.

angel_luv
10-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Because I want to do something to re-invent myself, but I am not sure what.

I have a great husband, wondeful church, and a lot of friends. I have two jobs which I am good at that provide me a good income.

I like who I am and what I stand for. But I also have a longing to branch out, invest in myself, have an adventure... try something new.

I don't want to change myself just expand on who I am- except in regards to my waistline that is :lol.

Sportcamper
10-05-2009, 02:45 PM
ROFLMAO@ B2B…Not exactly Dr. Phil...:lol

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I highly recommend trying to find some mutual hobbies.

angel_luv
10-05-2009, 02:48 PM
This is all very normal Angel. Typical post marriage speak to be wanting more out of life. I bet you're bored out of your mind. Read that chapter of the bible 30 times this month? Wore out a few hail mary necklaces?

Life is a bore.

Actually no.

I feel enpowered by marriage.

I was chosen by a great and talented man who is a tremendous inspiration and help to me.

Because Bo helps me with the day to day task ( thus freeing me of boths workload and stress) and also takes such an active interest in all I pursue, it makes me want to go for it.

I just don't know what IT is.

CavsSuperFan
10-05-2009, 02:50 PM
In retrospect I guess I did not have it that bad after all….My Ex was 43 before she decided to branch out, invest in herself, have an adventure... try something new. :lmao

angel_luv
10-05-2009, 02:50 PM
Last night, I started learning to speak French.

ATRAIN
10-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Angel,

Apply to go on Survivor.

Imposter
10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Don't worry, angel_lov, when god makes you a NY Times best selling author you won't have time to take more than a 2 minute shit!

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Actually no.

I feel enpowered by marriage.

I was chosen by a great and talented man who is a tremendous inspiration and help to me.

Because Bo helps me with the day to day task ( thus freeing me of boths workload and stress) and also takes such an active interest in all I pursue, it makes me want to go for it.

I just don't know what IT is.:lol I was only joking.

angel_luv
10-05-2009, 02:55 PM
You were, I know.

But a lot of other people seriously think that wanting to improve oneself only occurs when someone is unhappy with their life.
I am happy and would like to be even more happy.

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 03:00 PM
You were, I know.

But a lot of other people seriously think that wanting to improve oneself only occurs when someone is unhappy with their life.
I am happy and would like to be even more happy.Do you not have any hobbies?

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Can't go wrong with a good ol' fashioned sex change operation.

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Can't go wrong with a good ol' fashioned sex change operation.She'll Luv you in a whole new way.

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I am happy and would like to be even more happy.Back on this. This is true but only because its mostly true. People are ill equipped to deal with the mundane reality of an uneventful life. Boredom breeds dissatisfaction which breeds a need for one to re-invent themselves. Its typical for misery to entice change. Not saying thats your deal but thats why people think that way.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Drop acid.

MannyIsGod
10-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Try it doggy style Angel.

Imposter
10-05-2009, 03:19 PM

:lol:lol

awesome

Dr. Gonzo
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM

i lol'd

balli
10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
The past is always with us and where we come from, what we go through, how we go through it... All this shit matters. I mean, at least that what I thought he meant. Like at the end of the book, y'know? Boats and tides and all... it's like, you can change up. Right? You can say you somebody new, you can give yourself a whole new story, but what came first is who you really are. And what happened before is what really happened... And it don't matter that some fool say he different, cause the only thing that make you different is what you really do... or what you really go through. Like, yknow- All them books in his library, now he frontin' with all them books, but if you pull one down off of the shelf, ain't any of the pages ever been open. He got all them books and he ain't read nay one of em. Gatsby? He was who he was. And he did what he did. And cause he wasn't ready to get real with the story... that shit caught up to him. I mean I think, anyway.

mrsmaalox
10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm a little surprised, this coming from a newlywed. The transition to wife and partner was a reinvention that took me at least 2 years to complete. I must be slow.

fraga
10-05-2009, 04:01 PM
I started parting my hair to the other side...

BacktoBasics
10-05-2009, 04:02 PM
I must be slow.We'll get you a padded helmet.

katyon6th
10-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Get a perm. I hear they're coming back. That and plaid. Wear a lot plaid this season.

Dr. Gonzo
10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I got a perm. It looks fantastic.

katyon6th
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm starting to wear plaid again. In fact, I'm wearing plaid today. Baby steps for me, Gonzo.

MiamiHeat
10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Become an atheist

CosmicCowboy
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Vampires are the latest hot thing...get bit by one...

Bukefal
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I stopped calling and contacting every single person I knew including all friends and family for about a year.

Other than my Mother and my sister I don't talk to anyone that I knew from 6 or so years back.

You'd be amazed who doesn't bother calling or coming by when you don't call them first.

Yeah, that's so true! I did and saw the same.

PM5K
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I was chosen

What's the name of your religious compound?

David Bowie
10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
I think that I changed the most after going abroad. I would say, go live in a different culture for a few months. Has it worked out? It did for a while. But I still ended up where I am today, which is not the best place for me to be right now.

Bukefal
10-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I removed all the toxic 'bad' negative people from around me. it worked out great, I took a different direction in my life. Im much more happy now

Jekka
10-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I've done this a couple of times; both times it involved moving. If that's not an option, and if you've had any desire to turn the two jobs into one career, then there's always school. Try taking a career test to see if it gives you any surprising results.

CuckingFunt
10-05-2009, 07:56 PM
I find myself saying this to a lot of the threads that get started around here, but I really don't think this is the kind of question that someone else can answer for you.

If the desire to reinvent yourself doesn't come from a feeling that something is lacking from your life, then there's really nothing to lose and you can just try a bunch of new hobbies until you find one you like. If this is all motivated by the feeling that something is missing (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and shouldn't necessarily be seen as a reflection on the good you've got in your life right now), then I don't think there's anything we here can tell you -- just take some time to figure out what isn't there and go after it.

ploto
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Education is always a way to expand one's horizons and to learn new things- whether formal college work or simply cooking classes.

You might consider going on a mission trip- even a short one for a week or two.

I think you might also be at the age where you are wishing you had more of a career than a job and maybe being married has opened up that possibility for you- to look for something that provides more than just a way to pay the bills.

As for reinventing myself, it required shedding a toxic relationship, allowing myself permission to do what I wanted, and learning how to say No.

NoOptionB
10-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Minimalist phase + Workout like a madman/woman + eventually resurface to old friends.

Being already married though, I dunno.

ChumpDumper
10-05-2009, 08:10 PM
This is the kind of thing you are supposed to do before you get married or after your husband starts cheating on you.

In the meantime, have a kid or four.

ploto
10-05-2009, 08:15 PM
In the meantime, have a kid or four.

That is what I fear her solution will be!

spursfan09
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
I would consider education.

I'm a full time student and a part-time intern, so I always feel super busy and I never once think that I need to re-invent myself. I feel like I am in the process of becoming who I'm going to be. I'm graduating in May, and then I get to actually work fulltime. (Really looking forward to that) :lol

PM5K
10-05-2009, 09:21 PM
When I think of the term re-inventing yourself, this is not what I think of.

Summers
10-05-2009, 10:06 PM
I find myself saying this to a lot of the threads that get started around her, but I really don't think this is the kind of question that someone else can answer for you.

If the desire to reinvent yourself doesn't come from a feeling that something is lacking from your life, then there's really nothing to lose and you can just try a bunch of new hobbies until you find one you like. If this is all motivated by the feeling that something is missing (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, and shouldn't necessarily be seen as a reflection on the good you've got in your life right now), then I don't think there's anything we here can tell you -- just take some time to figure out what isn't there and go after it.

Yeah, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. The way you ask the question is the same way you'd ask someone what they want for lunch. Changing yourself can't be contrived or it will be very dissatisfying. If you feel like something in you needs to be different, meditate on what's causing that sense of unrest.

Solid D
10-05-2009, 10:46 PM

Life is a bore.

Your outlook on life may be an indication of why people don't call you.

Suicidal Jack
10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Maybe you can talk about this in one of your books because this shit doesn't happen in real life without drastic changes and undoing that you are not willing to experience.

MiamiHeat
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
what's wrong with being happy where you are?

grass is always greener ?

mookie2001
10-05-2009, 11:03 PM
i went to state jail for 20 months, when i got out i was the same, but different

mookie2001
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
youre one to talk convict

Solid D
10-05-2009, 11:13 PM
You seem like a very fun and intelligent person, angel_luv. Since you are seeking input, I'll give you mine.

Make a plan and then don't be lazy...act on it. Give to others, more than you have in the past. Going shopping is fun but shopping for someone else adds a whole new element to life. Love God, keep in touch with Him often & seek His will for you in your life. Then act on your faith in ways that you've never done before. That can seem pretty uncertain at times. By acting on your faith, it can also be pretty exciting and rewarding. Finally, look for the good in people...but I think you already do that.

PM5K
10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Make a plan and then don't be lazy...act on it. Give to others, more than you have in the past. Going shopping is fun but shopping for someone else adds a whole new element to life. Love God, keep in touch with Him often & seek His will for you in your life. Then act on your faith in ways that you've never done before. That can seem pretty uncertain at times. By acting on your faith, it can also be pretty exciting and rewarding. Finally, look for the good in people...but I think you already do that.

Umm, how is that reinventing yourself? That would be reinventing yourself is B2B had made this thread, but it was Angel, do I not know what reinventing means because that sounds like shit Angel already does.

Solid D
10-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Umm, how is that reinventing yourself? That would be reinventing yourself is B2B had made this thread, but it was Angel, do I not know what reinventing means because that sounds like **** Angel already does.

Well, angel_luv clarified what she meant:

Because I want to do something to re-invent myself, but I am not sure what.

I have a great husband, wondeful church, and a lot of friends. I have two jobs which I am good at that provide me a good income.

I like who I am and what I stand for. But I also have a longing to branch out, invest in myself, have an adventure... try something new.

I don't want to change myself just expand on who I am- except in regards to my waistline that is :lol.

1.) One cannot expand on who they are by being lazy. Making a plan and acting on it is the best way to expand on what you do in life.

2.) Giving to others more than she has in the past, is a way to expand.

3.) angel_love loves her church so I am assuming she has a faith in God. Seeking His will to help her expand herself in her life might help her do so. He might lead her to some new ideas. I know it works for me.

4.) Acting on faith in ways you have never done before can most certainly broaden your experiences and make life even more interesting. It can embolden you and make more things seem possible for yourself.

If you haven't tried this, maybe you should. It's been great for me.

bigzak25
10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
You seem to vent about your mall job alot. you should seek to replace that one with another job that allows you to help people in a more fulfilling way.

nkdlunch
10-06-2009, 09:35 AM
get a gun and reinvent others

ashbeeigh
10-06-2009, 11:24 AM
I find myself saying this to a lot of the threads that get started around here, but I really don't think this is the kind of question that someone else can answer for you.

I agree with this, to some extent...but a lot of times talking about it with other people can lead you in the right direction. A lot of what I what I am doing now would not have been possible without talking about it with people who were living and doing it on a daily basis.

You seem to vent about your mall job alot. you should seek to replace that one with another job that allows you to help people in a more fulfilling way.

Agreed. Again. I know you're a helpful person, AngelLuv. And go for some of that career advice. I've been looking with more effort for a job recently and have seen some part time non-profit jobs that may be good for you. Obviously you want to serve in some way. Through my time with Project Transformation I found that there are so so so so so many ways of doing that. And in some ways the mall thing is service, but if you're really looking at a way of serving (or reinventing) then remember that serving doesn't have to be through the obvious pastor, missionary kind of thing, but nurse, social worker, outreach, etc.

PakiDan
10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
because i want to do something to re-invent myself, but i am not sure what.

I have a great husband, wondeful church, and a lot of friends. I have two jobs which i am good at that provide me a good income.

I like who i am and what i stand for. But i also have a longing to branch out, invest in myself, have an adventure... Try something new.

I don't want to change myself just expand on who i am- except in regards to my waistline that is :lol.

go to school!

CosmicCowboy
10-06-2009, 11:27 AM
You could start paying for everything you buy with one dollar bills.

phxspurfan
10-06-2009, 11:49 AM
What have you guys done in the past and/ or what are you currently doing to re-invent yourself and how did it work out for you?

Nice thread idea...

I got an upright electric piano last year as a treat for myself after a bonus. Then one of those instructional DVDs helped teach me how to play with the left and right hands. Eventually (and with the help of a couple friends) I learned the songs but at first it was kinda weird because I'm very analytical...this hobby seems to help develop the opposite side of the brain.

It's definitely more than just memorization...it's like trying to learn to dance. And I'm pretty sure learning music makes you think differently and gives you confidence to try to learn things you don't immediately understand. I know that when I did learn it, I couldn't really reason how I did it, just trusted myself to do it better the next day with practice.

SequSpur
10-06-2009, 02:18 PM
You seem like a very fun and intelligent person, angel_luv. Since you are seeking input, I'll give you mine.

gay.................

PM5K
10-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I hear Mouse is pretty good at reinventing himself, maybe you should ask him?

Solid D
10-06-2009, 06:14 PM
gay.................

or, as Sequ reminds, you could just be funny, post nonsense in Forums, and make people wonder what you've been drinking.

CuckingFunt
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I agree with this, to some extent...but a lot of times talking about it with other people can lead you in the right direction. A lot of what I what I am doing now would not have been possible without talking about it with people who were living and doing it on a daily basis.

I don't disagree with this, but I think that's only useful after you've gotten far enough with the process to have figured out what is inspiring the need for change or reinvention.

Ultimately, I'm skeptical that someone could just wake up one morning and decide that they need some sort of big change or growth. Especially someone who just got married. It has likely been building for a while and likely comes from feeling that something specific is lacking and/or underdeveloped (which, for the sake of clarity, is not meant to suggest any inherent unhappiness or dissatisfaction). Until you can better identify and communicate what it is you would specifically like to change or enhance, any advice offered by other people is going to be completely arbitrary and, as a result, probably not too helpful in the long run.

ploto
10-06-2009, 11:08 PM
I also wonder if you might simply have that feeling that sets in after some big event is over. After all the time and energy spent planning and anticipating, then sometimes things feel awfully ordinary after that.

Bigzax
10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
she got hitched, published her book, and now there is a void...

you just need something to kill time before the kids arrive....luckily the Spurs season is upon us...:toast

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 10:27 AM
As Ploto said, being married does free me up to explore more opportunities in my life.

One of my good friends often says how he likes to probe the minds of successful people and see what they are pursuing and learn all he can from that.

That's why I made this thread. This place is full of diversity and therefore is a great place to get information.
So thanks all for your input.

I am going to going to the library this week and look at a list of continuing education classes and look into signing up for one of those.

I was writing for the youth newsletter at church but that project was only for the summer and so now have some time to fill.

Again, thanks all for your input.

Thunder Dan
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I tried getting another degree to reinvent myself a couple years after I got a degree in something I wasn't that in to. Then I realized that I just reinvented myself for about $20,000 in student loans.

spursfan09
10-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm so tired of school actually, I think I'm going to reinvent myself and be a stay at home wife/ mom. Fuck school!

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 10:40 AM
I also wonder if you might simply have that feeling that sets in after some big event is over. After all the time and energy spent planning and anticipating, then sometimes things feel awfully ordinary after that.

That is probably part of it.

But along with that, I planned most of my wedding myself and in doing so learned how capable, creative, and talented I can be. So I would like to apply all that to something... I just don't know what specifically.

Also, I am still trying to adjust routine wise and that " up in the air" feeling can cause some angst as well.

Laker Lanny
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
good luck! :tu

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 11:04 AM
When Bo and I have been married long enough, we are going to look in to becoming foster parents. That is something I have always wanted to do and Bo is wonderful with kids.

desflood
10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Look into becoming a foster parent.

desflood
10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
You beat me to it. Drat!

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Great minds! :)

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I think I will contact a foster care agency now and see what all the requirements are. That way if there are ways I can be preparing now, I can get started on those.

BacktoBasics
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Its a lot more fun making babies then buying them.

JudynTX
10-07-2009, 11:57 AM
That is probably part of it.

But along with that, I planned most of my wedding myself and in doing so learned how capable, creative, and talented I can be. So I would like to apply all that to something... I just don't know what specifically.

Also, I am still trying to adjust routine wise and that " up in the air" feeling can cause some angst as well.

Enjoy being a newlywed for a while, before you consider foster parenting. :)

Just my opinion. Good luck re-inventing yourself.

BacktoBasics
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Kids are an unbelievable amount of work. No matter how patient you are and no matter how wonderful the kid is. You're still overwhelmed.

I would seriously seriously hold off for a few years and enjoy life and enjoy doing things for yourself because its one hell of a massive sacrifice no matter how loving and wonderful of a parent you are.

Volunteer at a head start program. It'll get your feet wet.

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
You have to be married at least two years before being a foster parent, if memory serves.

JudynTX
10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
You have to be married at least two years before being a foster parent, if memory serves.

Well there you go. Join the Big Brother/Big Sister organization. :)

BacktoBasics
10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
You have to be married at least two years before being a foster parent, if memory serves.I would spend the next 4-5 doing things for yourselves. Accomplish the small things and then look into parenting. I'm amazed if I can even sit down and take a shit with the kid banging on the door asking what I'm doing.

Enjoy the silence. Enjoy the nothingness.

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Kids are an unbelievable amount of work. No matter how patient you are and no matter how wonderful the kid is. You're still overwhelmed.

I would seriously seriously hold off for a few years and enjoy life and enjoy doing things for yourself because its one hell of a massive sacrifice no matter how loving and wonderful of a parent you are.

Volunteer at a head start program. It'll get your feet wet.

That's a good idea. I'll look into it.

I was raised in a home with foster children from the time I was 3 all the way into my twenties.
Granted my parents were past their mid-thirties and married for close to ten years before they adopted me and became foster parents.

Foster care is more of a long term goal for me, but one I am very excited about.

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Well there you go. Join the Big Brother/Big Sister organization. :)

A very good idea! thank you!

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I would spend the next 4-5 doing things for yourselves. Accomplish the small things and then look into parenting. I'm amazed if I can even sit down and take a shit with the kid banging on the door asking what I'm doing.

Enjoy the silence. Enjoy the nothingness.

:lol

I remember when I worked as a nanny being so happy to go home and getting to use the restroom at my leisure.

CosmicCowboy
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I think I will contact a foster care agency now and see what all the requirements are. That way if there are ways I can be preparing now, I can get started on those.

Here ya go Angel...

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/adoption_and_foster_care/get_started/information_meetings/08.asp

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/child_protection/services.asp

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Here ya go Angel...

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/adoption_and_foster_care/get_started/information_meetings/08.asp

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/child_protection/services.asp

Thanks very much.

I submitted online to be contacted about becoming a big sister.

Thanks for the suggestion, PandaSpur.

JudynTX
10-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey Angel, if you enjoyed planning your own wedding, you should consider becoming a Wedding Planner. :D

Imposter
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
become a stripper

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey Angel, if you enjoyed planning your own wedding, you should consider becoming a Wedding Planner. :D

I actually did not enjoy planning my wedding. It was one of the most trying and lonely experiences of my whole life.
I remember everyone who was kind to me in that process because they are the reasons I made it through.

I think I would enjoy a job being someone's personal assistant because I am really organized, am good at remembering people's preferences, and accomplish a lot in just a small amount of time.

I. Hustle
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
Here's the thing. You two aren't ready for kids. At least not the kind you rent for a while until someone comes and buys them.
My suggestion is just letting him go anal and maybe a few more bj's. Not in that order though... unless you are into that.

you owe me big time Bo.

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 01:15 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Million-Miles-Thousand-Years-Learned/dp/0785213066/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a

I previewed the first few pages of this book online. I am going to go to a bookstore and read more.

I am intrigued.

I. Hustle
10-07-2009, 01:30 PM
"So You Are Thinking About Anal"

I previewed the first few pages of this book online. I am going to go to a bookstore and read more.

I am intrigued.

Way to explore AL!

mrsmaalox
10-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Way to explore AL!

:lol You so kwaazy :p:

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
:lol You so kwaazy :p:

:dont

I. Hustle
10-07-2009, 02:10 PM
:dont

HEY! I'm not a troll.

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
HEY! I'm not a troll.

I take my post back. :)

PM5K
10-07-2009, 02:41 PM
Put two threads together, spend your free time either helping death row inmates, or at least writing to them....

angel_luv
10-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Put two threads together, spend your free time either helping death row inmates, or at least writing to them....

When I was in high school I wanted to be a spiritual advisor to death row inmates like Sister Helen Prejean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Prejean

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-08-2009, 02:27 AM
Angel, I have to say that I think you have recently reinvented yourself in an incredible manner! Since we hung out in 2007, you have been married, authored a website, and written a book - that's a pretty torrid pace of change if you ask me!

Interesting you should bring this topic up because I've been thinking about it myself. In 2003 I reinvented myself by leaving a job I hated (trade mark examiner) to go to SA, and then Japan to live for 2 years. When I got back to Oz from that, I still didn't have a career so I re-invented myself by going back to school for a Masters in Sustainability, changing my lifestyle to drastically cut my environmental footprint, and am now at least working for myself doing something I believe in. However, I'm no happier than I was... in fact, I'm probably less happy because the study has opened my eyes to the coming environmental and resource depletion crunch that will probably lead to the downfall of civilisation as we know it. What next, I don't know. Maybe I should found a cult. :lol

baseline bum
10-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Angel, I have to say that I think you have recently reinvented yourself in an incredible manner! Since we hung out in 2007, you have been married, authored a website, and written a book - that's a pretty torrid pace of change if you ask me!

Interesting you should bring this topic up because I've been thinking about it myself. In 2003 I reinvented myself by leaving a job I hated (trade mark examiner) to go to SA, and then Japan to live for 2 years. When I got back to Oz from that, I still didn't have a career so I re-invented myself by going back to school for a Masters in Sustainability, changing my lifestyle to drastically cut my environmental footprint, and am now at least working for myself doing something I believe in. However, I'm no happier than I was... in fact, I'm probably less happy because the study has opened my eyes to the coming environmental and resource depletion crunch that will probably lead to the downfall of civilisation as we know it. What next, I don't know. Maybe I should found a cult. :lol

It's best not to think about the path this country and world is on. But hey, we have cheeseburgers and plasma screens!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-08-2009, 08:11 AM
It's best not to think about the path this country and world is on. But hey, we have cheeseburgers and plasma screens!

Indeed... soma. It is absurd, but George Orwell and Aldous Huxley saw all this happening 60 years ago, and yet we still let it happen.

Yeah, the problem is that I have just spent the last 5 years reading extensively about and studying the issues, and addressing them is now my job... no getting away from them for me any more.

I'm doing what I can by drastically cutting my own footprint, teaching others about the issues, and helping others to help themselves through things like household energy and water auditing, but the absurdity of the path we are on, including the entire system that fools people into believing that money and possessions are the only things that matter, and ignores the rampant destructiveness of a system based on material throughput and disposability, frustrates me terribly.

Maybe I need to take up meditation or a martial art, or both. I've been considering that for quite some time.

angel_luv
10-08-2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks very much, Ruff!
Your perspective really encouraged me. :)

marini martini
10-08-2009, 11:37 AM
So what's everyone going to be for Halloween???

I can't decide whether to be a witch or a gypsy??? My friend gave me the coolest witch hat a few years ago, green satin, black veil, bats, & feathers. Then I just love my vintage hand painted & sequined skirt from Mexico, with the dancing devils on it.:toast

Decisions, desicions! I just love this time of year, and a chance to re-invent myself.

angel_luv
10-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I am going to be a Lady Bug.

Last year I was a butterfly.

baseline bum
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
So what's everyone going to be for Halloween???

I can't decide whether to be a witch or a gypsy??? My friend gave me the coolest witch hat a few years ago, green satin, black veil, bats, & feathers. Then I just love my vintage hand painted & sequined skirt from Mexico, with the dancing devils on it.:toast

Decisions, desicions! I just love this time of year, and a chance to re-invent myself.

I'm going to dress up like a banker and take my shotgun to peoples' porches, demanding a bailout.

marini martini
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm going to dress up like a banker and take my shotgun to peoples' porches, demanding a bailout.

I love costumes where you gotta cary a weapon!!!

I was an air patrol agent one year and carried a LugerP308 in a holster!:toast

JoeChalupa
10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
I've re-invented myself via surgery and now I'm lighter on my feet.

Last Comic Standing
10-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm doing what I can by drastically cutting my own footprint,.

Joe Chalupa beat you to it!

Phenomanul
10-08-2009, 05:40 PM

You stepped over the line with that one....

Phenomanul
10-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Just a word of caution... your success as a Big Sister (from the program you just enrolled in) will largely depend on your time investment to that cause.... I became a Big Brother 3 months ago; so far, helping a less fortunate child has been very rewarding on many fronts....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Thanks very much, Ruff!
Your perspective really encouraged me. :)

:)

:lmao

:lol