PDA

View Full Version : Question for truck owners

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I recently switched back to a truck after having a Tahoe for 3 years and a sports car before that. I have been noticing that I am experiencing hydroplaning more in the last couple weeks than I ever did in my previous 9 years of driving.
I mentioned this to a friend and he told me about a water bladder you can add to the bed for additional weight. Looks like this
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-47899628452395_2071_326403

Costs like 140 bones though and I would hate to drop taht on something that doesn't work very well.
Anyone ever try a system like this?

cornbread
10-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Don't waste your money on that thing. Just buy some sandbags and throw them in the bed.

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 10:42 PM
yeah i guess that would be the cheap alternative. plus make it look like I use it on the reg.

thispego
10-05-2009, 10:51 PM
chode reg are you dumb? you might as well just pay mookie to ride around in the bed

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 10:53 PM
haha
didn't say i was going to buy it. just lookin for something to fix me from sliding all over the place. i forgot how much trucks are prone to that. between the 'ho and the Z I am re learning how to drive trucks again.

thispego
10-05-2009, 10:59 PM
lol oh ok. you should drive slower you maniac. I'm about to go back to a truck also.

thispego
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
i dont drive babies. im not taking the time to fuck with a child seat

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 11:07 PM
lol oh ok. you should drive slower you maniac. I'm about to go back to a truck also.

That's what I am having a hard time with. In the rain I have been driving slower, well at least accelerating slower. Anytime I'm at a stop and moderately accelerate I get nervous now, when it's wet out.
I don't ever remember having this problem in the past, unless I was just being stupid and intentionally doing it.

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
nah you're going to need that back seat for the baby in plainview

Babies can't ride in teh bed? What do we livein commie Russia now?

thispego
10-05-2009, 11:09 PM
That's what I am having a hard time with. In the rain I have been driving slower, well at least accelerating slower. Anytime I'm at a stop and moderately accelerate I get nervous now, when it's wet out.
I don't ever remember having this problem in the past, unless I was just being stupid and intentionally doing it.

roads are just shittier in houston. smegma all over the roads that slicks up in the rain and shit

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
roads are just shittier in houston. smegma all over the roads that slicks up in the rain and shit

That's the truff if I ever heard it.

thispego
10-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Babies can't ride in teh bed? What do we livein commie Russia now?

crofl yeah no shit

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 11:16 PM
you have to use bungees until the baby is 6 months or 25 lbs
:lmao

it's a little known fact that thispego is moving to lubbock only if he can live with crephanie and the craby

oh teh noes!!!!11!!1!!?1!!!
that can't be true

PM5K
10-05-2009, 11:17 PM
Shitty tires FTL....

mookie2001
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
its fun to do bad things.

thispego
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
it's a little known fact that thispego is moving to lubbock only if he can live with crephanie and the craby

bullshit you little eaves dropping bitch :ihit

chode_regulator
10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
we're just going to have to become southwest airlines frequent flyers if we ever want to see him. we can make tshirts and call ourselves the cockpit
yeah fo sho. hope they run a $59 special from HOU to LUB

Shitty tires FTL....

perhaps. they are pretty much brand new but nothing special. Run of the mill tire, similar to what would come stock.

AnthonyM
10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
What truck is it?

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 and it has a 2nd gear that supposedly prevents the tires from peeling out...im not really sure how although i think it says in the manual...but the engine definitely sounds different in 2nd gear...it does help too

Another thing you can do is obviously don't step on the pedal so hard...and another thing that really helps is to let your truck start rolling before you push the pedal and that usually helps..

and other than that if you start peeling out or hydroplaning just let off the pedal don't keep pushing it...fuck the person behind you if you take long haha

chode_regulator
10-06-2009, 07:41 AM
05 Silverado
Yeah I let up when it happens, seems that I seriously dont hardly push on the accelerator at all. I start out REAL slow now as I'm tired of it happening...obviously.

DarkReign
10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
It has nothing to do with tires or what gear your truck is in.

Its has to do with uneven weight distribution in rear-wheel drive vehicle.

You can be the best driver to ever grace the road and youre still going to hydroplane on wet roads, no questions asked.

Your engine is the heaviest part of the vehicle and it obviously sits on your front tires. The rear (drive) tires have only a bed sitting on top of it...an empty bed at that.

You either drive in 4WD High or drop some weight in the bed. Sandbags are the way to go, the bladder you propose just seems...very yuppy-ish.

ATRAIN
10-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Chode is it a single cab silverado? I had that problem when I had my 2000 Silverado Single cab. The back end was just too light. It helped when I got bigger tires but not that much.

chode_regulator
10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
It has nothing to do with tires or what gear your truck is in.

Its has to do with uneven weight distribution in rear-wheel drive vehicle.

You can be the best driver to ever grace the road and youre still going to hydroplane on wet roads, no questions asked.

Your engine is the heaviest part of the vehicle and it obviously sits on your front tires. The rear (drive) tires have only a bed sitting on top of it...an empty bed at that.

You either drive in 4WD High or drop some weight in the bed. Sandbags are the way to go, the bladder you propose just seems...very yuppy-ish.
yeah does seem like a waste of money. heading to lowes to get some saw horses, guess ill get some sand bags too.
unfortunately i downgraded from 4wd to 2wd. :depressed

Chode is it a single cab silverado? I had that problem when I had my 2000 Silverado Single cab. The back end was just too light. It helped when I got bigger tires but not that much.

no, ext cab.
I guess I'll just have to keep trying to drive slower and slower
I just dont ever remember this being an issue with any other truck i have. Ive heard of it being an issue in ice etc but I've never had any problems in the rain.

ATRAIN
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
yeah does seem like a waste of money. heading to lowes to get some saw horses, guess ill get some sand bags too.
unfortunately i downgraded from 4wd to 2wd. :depressed

no, ext cab.
I guess I'll just have to keep trying to drive slower and slower
I just dont ever remember this being an issue with any other truck i have. Ive heard of it being an issue in ice etc but I've never had any problems in the rain.

Try getting some bigger AT tires, that could help.

NoOptionB
10-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Single cabs hydroplane a lot.

My ext cab has never hydroplaned unless I did it purposefully.

I love 02-06 silvys. She will treat you good, other than the hydroplaning.

bigzak25
10-06-2009, 09:56 AM
go back and get the 4 wheel drive version.

chode_regulator
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
go back and get the 4 wheel drive version.

if you pay the difference i will
plus doesnt the 4wd really only add more weight to the front?

Ill just get some sandbags and then start a thread about how they only lasted 7 hours here in houston before getting stolen.

AnthonyM
10-06-2009, 03:52 PM
2 (Second)
Use 2 (Second) gear to start-up on
slippery roads or to provide
additional engine braking on
downgrades.

Idk if this means to keep driving in slippery roads, but like I said thats what my truck manual says and it seems to work.

Although, you have a different truck than me, it may be something to look into...otherwise you may just have to get used to it...good luck with it

bigzak25
10-06-2009, 05:16 PM
seems i was talking out of my ass mr. regulator...

after reading up on the subject, as i too am a victim of a rear wheel drive that likes to hydroplane in the rain, seems more weight is the obvious and correct answer to your problems...good luck with the sand bags and let us know if that works...if not, get some michelin hydro edge tires and then report back!

chode_regulator
10-06-2009, 10:13 PM
seems i was talking out of my ass mr. regulator...

after reading up on the subject, as i too am a victim of a rear wheel drive that likes to hydroplane in the rain, seems more weight is the obvious and correct answer to your problems...good luck with the sand bags and let us know if that works...if not, get some michelin hydro edge tires and then report back!

doubt i'll get new tires as money is tight. biggest reason why i would be hesitant to try taht water bag system out. I figure no one will be able to lift up a few hundred pounds of water. I guarantee sandbags will get stolen, for some unknown reason.
I keep short ties of rope hooked up to all 4 points in the bed and often times come out to my truck to see them pulled out as if someone was going to try to take them and then got scared off. :nope :ihit

Could I put the sandbags in my toolbox or would that not be far enough back. Other place I would do it would be to put a piece of 2/6 in those slots towards the back and stick them in that sectioned off 18" to try to keep them from sliding around.

chode_regulator
10-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Swine flu would be better
or maybe a mix?

to21
10-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Sweet.....a camel back for trucks.

I noticed this with a truck I bought used a long time ago....it didn't have a spare. Made a big difference when I put one in.