PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Notebook: Even Vets Could Use Dress Rehearsal

duncan228
10-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Spurs notebook: Even vets could use dress rehearsal (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_notebook_Even_vets_could_use_dress_rehearsal .html)
Jeff McDonald

One week of training camp is in the books. One dress rehearsal — or at least a dress rehearsal for a dress rehearsal — has come and gone.

The Spurs say they are making progress in melding a large group of newcomers and a familiar group of mainstays into one cohesive unit. A bit of proof, they hope, will come tonight when the Houston Rockets open the preseason at the AT&T Center.

“I know we're a good ballclub, probably one of the best I've been on,” said new center/forward Antonio McDyess. “I look at this team, we're deep from the bench to the starters. When everybody comes and gets more comfortable with each other, it's going to be great to see.”

McDyess, in particular, says he his hoping to see an extended amount of floor time tonight — more than might typically be allotted to a 13-year veteran in a preseason opener.

In the past, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has been careful to minimize the wear and tear on his older veterans during training camp and the preseason. Still, McDyess would like some extra minutes, if only to get his bearings in the Spurs' schemes.

“Right now, for me offensively and defensively, it's just a zoo out there,” McDyess said. “I'm trying to get everything down pat, and everything is moving so fast. Once I get it down, it will come a lot easier.”

Popovich said he has no doubts the new players such as McDyess, Richard Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Keith Bogans and DeJuan Blair will be able to acclimate to the Spurs' system.

“It's not something I gauge every day,” Popovich said. “They're all good people, so I'm sure it will be fine.”

In or out? Popovich said after Monday's practice that he hadn't yet decided whether Tony Parker will play tonight.

Earlier in camp, Parker said he was expecting to sit out the first few preseason games after his busy offseason with the French national team.

Foul tidings: Eight games into the NBA's preseason schedule, and replacement referees have already provided skeptics with one horror story.

Officials in Minnesota's 117-103 victory over Milwaukee on Sunday whistled 73 fouls, resulting in 94 free throws. Informed of those staggering numbers on the eve of his team's first exhibition with the replacements, Popovich seemed somewhat amused.

“I would hope that's an aberration,” he said.

Park and ride: VIA Metropolitan Transit will offer a park and ride service to all Spurs games this season, beginning with tonight's preseason affair.

Buses will pick up fans from the Crossroads and Randolph Blvd. park and ride locations beginning an hour and a half before tip-off, and return service will run for 30 minutes after each game.

Cost is $2.50 round trip, with discounts available for children, seniors, Medicare recipients and students.

DJB
10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Holy shit these replacement refs are freaking me out.

loveforthegame
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
The refs need to scale back on the whistle blowing.

lurker23
10-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Foul tidings: Eight games into the NBA's preseason schedule, and replacement referees have already provided skeptics with one horror story.

Officials in Minnesota's 117-103 victory over Milwaukee on Sunday whistled 73 fouls, resulting in 94 free throws. Informed of those staggering numbers on the eve of his team's first exhibition with the replacements, Popovich seemed somewhat amused.

“I would hope that's an aberration,” he said.

Lest we forget, the regular refs were capable of such things too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=230519024

*shudder*

Phenomanul
10-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Lest we forget, the regular refs were capable of such things too...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=230519024

*shudder*

I find it odd that the location for that game is listed as the "AT&T Center"... at that time wasn't it the SBC Center?

Brazil
10-06-2009, 09:09 AM
IMO Pop should play a little bit TP (as G Hill back up) so that the newcomers can grab this opportunity to improve their knowledge on spurs system and how to play with this speedy PG and how better anticipate TP moves.