PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mahinmi Must Show Spurs His Worth

duncan228
10-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Mahinmi must show Spurs his worth (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_must_show_Spurs_his_worth.html)
Mike Monroe

When Antonio McDyess got into the first five-on-five scrimmage of training camp with his new teammates, he knew what to expect of most of the other big men.

Once he found himself matched up against Ian Mahinmi, however, he began to wonder about a youngster with uncommon size and athleticism.

“I said, ‘Oh, my goodness, this guy is good,'” McDyess said. “I wondered why I hadn't heard more about him. I love his game.”

Spurs fans have been waiting to see more of Mahinmi since the Spurs made him the 28th pick in the 2005 draft. Beginning with tonight's preseason opener at the AT&T Center against the Houston Rockets, they will get another chance.

Mahinmi knows tonight's game is the start of the most important preseason of his young career. He must prove he merits consideration for a spot in a frontline rotation that has added McDyess, veteran Theo Ratliff and rookie DeJuan Blair.

Mahinmi was just 19 when the Spurs drafted him out of the French A League. Young, athletic and raw, he stayed in France for two more seasons before the Spurs signed him on Aug. 23, 2007.

He spent most of 2007-08 with the Spurs' Austin Toros Development League team. His 23 total minutes in Spurs games were but a tease.

The 2008-09 preseason was to be Mahinmi's chance to earn a spot in the Spurs' frontline rotation. A badly sprained right ankle in an August pickup game derailed that plan. He spent most of the 2008-09 campaign looking natty in NBA-mandated business attire behind the Spurs bench.

A tiny bone chip — the source of persistent pain in the ankle — was successfully removed in January, providing relief for both Mahinmi and the Spurs.

Now in the third season of his NBA rookie scale contract, Mahinmi also faces the pressure of an important career checkpoint. The team faces an Oct. 31 deadline to decide if it will extend his contract to include a fourth season.

The Spurs are now well over the NBA's luxury tax threshold, effectively doubling the price of every added contract. Mahinmi's extension, at $1.786 million, would cost the club a total of $3.572 million.

Mahinmi understands what is at stake for him in the team's exhibition games, particularly in the first two or three, when head coach Gregg Popovich typically limits the playing time of proven veterans so he can evaluate untested players.

“I think this is really my first real chance,” he said. “My rookie year, I knew I was going to go to the D-League, so this year is my first chance, and I'm finally feeling good physically.”

Mahinmi got a scare in September when he strained a hamstring while playing for the French national team in the Eurobasket tournament in Poland, whereLes Bleus qualified for next summer's FIBA world championships. The injury proved minor, and he reported to Spurs camp in peak condition.

His ankles, he said, are 100 percent healthy.

Now 22, Mahinmi doesn't know how much playing time he will get. McDyess, Ratliff and Blair also need plenty of preseason time to adjust to the Spurs' system.

“Seriously, I don't expect anything,” he said. “I just take what they give me. Sure, I'm going to get to play, but I don't expect 30, 35 minutes. I do know they're going to play me. I know they're going to try to see what I can bring to the team.”

Popovich is anxious to see if Mahinmi's physical potential can produce tangible results.

“Ian is a very hungry player right now,” Popovich said. “For two years, he's been hurt. It's his turn to show us what he can do.

“He's running the floor really well. He's trying to make some moves offensively. He went down on the block to show he can score a little bit. He's just anxious to exhibit the things he hasn't been able to do because of the injuries.”

Ian Mahinmi

Birthplace: Rouen, France

Height, weight: 6-11, 250

Position: PF/C

How acquired: First-round draft pick (28th overall) by the Spurs in 2005; signed Aug. 23, 2007.

2007-08 highlights: Spent most of the season with Austin Toros, Spurs-owned team in National Basketball Development League. ... Averaged 17.1 points, 8.2 rebounds, 1.7 blocks in 45 games with Toros. ... Played in six games with Spurs, scoring 21 points, with five rebounds and four blocks.

2008-09 highlights: Sprained right ankle in preseason pickup game in August and missed entire Spurs season. ... Played only one game with Toros. ... Underwent arthroscopic surgery on right ankle on Jan. 31, 2009, during which a small piece of bone was removed.

2009-10 prospects: Preseason performance could determine if Spurs opt to extend Mahinmi's rookie scale contract through 2010-11 season, which would guarantee him $1.786 million for his fourth season.

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Come on Ian. Just play hard and make good decisions. Don't hesitate or get caught going through the motions.

I really hope Ian gets a ton of minutes this preseason. Also, that was pretty nice praise from McDyess.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
This guy is a bust in the making. Blair and Ratliff gontake any minutes this chump could have earned himself by being healthy last year.

angelbelow
10-06-2009, 12:25 AM
He just needs to give 100% effort. His offensive potential and his athleticism are already noticeable IMO, hes just gotta play with heart and purpose.

ShoogarBear
10-06-2009, 12:34 AM
This guy is a bust in the making.

You're just saying that because he didn't play for the other professional team in Austin.

xellos88330
10-06-2009, 12:35 AM
I have been rooting for Ian for a long time now. Don't make me feel like an idiot Ian!!!

Cant_Be_Faded
10-06-2009, 12:36 AM
You're just saying that because he didn't play for the other professional team in Austin.

Sorry i wasn't voted brotha cum lade of oxford med school but i call it as i see it :wakeup

crc21209
10-06-2009, 12:40 AM
I really, really, really want Ian to make the roster and prove that he can contribute to the team. He just can't "think" about it too much...just go out there and play.

DespЏrado
10-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Ian isn't going to make it very far if he doesn't figure out that hustle is more than just a word. It's the only way he will earn a paycheck. The guy has an outside shot to ever earn a starters position, and that means he will always have to fight for minutes. If he can't be depended upon to at least show up and hustle every game, then he doesn't deserve a spot on the roster or rotation.

Blackjack
10-06-2009, 01:02 AM
Has there ever been another 28th pick in the draft been proclaimed a bust more often?:lol

Hopefully the hesitation and perceived lack of want-to Ian displayed in the scrimmage was nothing more than a guy just trying to stay healthy long enough to show what he's got in a more official setting.

The guy's definitely been snake-bit, but if he can get and maintain the needed confidence in his body to just go out there and play, there's no reason why he shouldn't become a useful player.

It's easier said than done, clearing those mental hurdles when injuries are involved, but Ian needn't look any farther than 'Dyess to draw inspiration; his injuries and setbacks haven't been anywhere near the type 'Dyess has overcome.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2009, 01:30 AM
That's some nice praise from McDyess..it's pretty clear that Ian has serious talent and potential..if Ian can stay healthy and play with some energy and heart, McDyess won't be the only guy in the NBA that will be wondering why they hadn't heard more about him before..

lennyalderette
10-06-2009, 01:47 AM
i really freaked out on ian, and the way he played in practice, he has all the right tools but no drive to use them

NRHector
10-06-2009, 01:55 AM
I know a girl that is going out with Ian, I guess I'm going to have to tell her to tell him to get his shit together or he'll have a lot of angry fans

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2009, 01:59 AM
I know a girl that is going out with Ian, I guess I'm going to have to tell her to tell him to get his shit together or he'll have a lot of angry fans

bad plan..

tell her to hold out on him and make him impress her on the court..

that's what Pop says to Finley..of course Pop can't say no to him after though, especially when he gives him that look..

spursbird
10-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Please, please don't let me down Ian. I have always expected you to be our future. I remembered that a coach from another team said that you had the potential to be an All-Star.

EricB
10-06-2009, 02:09 AM
theres no such thing as a bust at the end of the first round....

symple19
10-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Mahinmi is a bum...Get over it people

NRHector
10-06-2009, 02:19 AM
bad plan..

tell her to hold out on him and make him impress her on the court..

that's what Pop says to Finley..of course Pop can't say no to him after though, especially when he gives him that look..you are right I'll try that

angelbelow
10-06-2009, 02:20 AM
theres no such thing as a bust at the end of the first round....

Agreed.

Darkwaters
10-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Players like Ratliff and McDyess need to get a decent amount of playing time this preseason to synch in the new system. Guys like Duncan and Bonner pretty much know what to do in the context of the system and just need to improve their conditioning now. I'm not too worried about them. But this preseason's big rotation needs to be about three guys: Blair, Mahinmi and Haislip. All three have a shot at being really good...or floundering for a variety of reasons. What they all could use is time on the court to prove they belong. I hope thats a theme this preseason.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2009, 03:46 AM

picnroll
10-06-2009, 03:55 AM
I don't want to see this board's response if the Spurs are forced to cut Mahinmi because of cost and lack of a clear read on him, he's picked up on a minimum salary by some other NBA team and then he pans out. The Scola ordeal will look like a fairy tale with a happy ending in comparison.

benefactor
10-06-2009, 05:40 AM
I don't want to see this board's response if the Spurs are forced to cut Mahinmi because of cost and lack of a clear read on him, he's picked up on a minimum salary by some other NBA team and then he pans out. The Scola ordeal will look like a fairy tale with a happy ending in comparison.
The Ian and Scola situations aren't really the same...but I agree...the meltdown will be epic in here if they cut him and he pans out.

The Spurs are now well over the NBA's luxury tax threshold, effectively doubling the price of every added contract. Mahinmi's extension, at $1.786 million, would cost the club a total of $3.572 million.
Wrong. This is next seasons number. For this season Ian is only costing the team $1,979,340...but with the cap/tax line lowering there is a chance that number could come to fruition next year.

It's hard to know what to do about Ian if he is still looking unmotivated after the preseason. He is the same age as a lot of rookies, but he knows the system and really has no excuse for not playing hard...especially with a 20 yr old Dejuan Blair out there playing like he is ready to blow past him. The Spurs need some certainty on the front line, so they really can't afford to wait around much longer.

picnroll
10-06-2009, 07:53 AM
If I were the Spurs I would not keep Mahinmi. He will cost them a lot of money but is very unlikley to get significant playing time in the next two year and after that he will be a FA and cost them to re-sign for a price when he finally may be useful. If he developed on some other team the Spurs could always go after him in free agency which coincides with the end of the Duncan era.

mathbzh
10-06-2009, 08:14 AM
If I were the Spurs I would not keep Mahinmi. He will cost them a lot of money but is very unlikley to get significant playing time in the next two year and after that he will be a FA and cost them to re-sign for a price when he finally may be useful. If he developed on some other team the Spurs could always go after him in free agency which coincides with the end of the Duncan era.

If he develops, he will have a lot of value on the FA market. Why would he sign with the Spurs (a team in rebuild mode, that would have send him away to save a few bucks)?

Ditty
10-06-2009, 08:18 AM

and this is coming from a guy that has him on his avatar

come on guys Ian has all the talent in the world I think he can really workout and become a very good player and save us a headache to find a big man in the future he's only 22 and surrounded by guys that will push him to play his best i see a solid sason this year and a break out one next year IMO

tmtcsc
10-06-2009, 08:19 AM
“I said, ‘Oh, my goodness, this guy is good,'” McDyess said. “I wondered why I hadn't heard more about him. I love his game.”

Because he plays like he's indifferent to whats going on, collects fouls at a stunning pace and is usually injured. Hell, Felix Jones thinks Ian is soft.

Brazil
10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Mahinmi must show Spurs his worth (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mahinmi_must_show_Spurs_his_worth.html)
Mike Monroe

When Antonio McDyess got into the first five-on-five scrimmage of training camp with his new teammates, he knew what to expect of most of the other big men.

Once he found himself matched up against Ian Mahinmi, however, he began to wonder about a youngster with uncommon size and athleticism.

Really nice praise from Antonio. It is giving me hope !

Bruno
10-06-2009, 08:23 AM
IMO, money isn't the deciding factor (Ian salary is and will stay low). The deciding factor is playing time.

Ian needs a somewhat consistent playing time to grow as a player. Spurs have a limited number of minutes available and they must make the best use of these minutes. We will see at who Spurs decide to give these minutes. If they think that it's better for the team in the short or middle term to give these minutes to another player, Ian will likely be salary dumped.

And :lmao at the sheepish premature ejaculatory posters saying that Ian doesn't give a fuck to play while Pop said “Ian is a very hungry player right now”.

K-State Spur
10-06-2009, 08:42 AM
This guy is a bust in the making. Blair and Ratliff gontake any minutes this chump could have earned himself by being healthy last year.

kinda hard for the 28th overall pick in the draft to be a bust period - although that did turn out to be a pretty special draft.

nkdlunch
10-06-2009, 09:25 AM
IMO, money isn't the deciding factor (Ian salary is and will stay low). The deciding factor is playing time.

Ian needs a somewhat consistent playing time to grow as a player. Spurs have a limited number of minutes available and they must make the best use of these minutes. We will see at who Spurs decide to give these minutes. If they think that it's better for the team in the short or middle term to give these minutes to another player, Ian will likely be salary dumped.

ummm, it's up to Ian to earn his minutes. the Spurs have nothing to do with it. he shows hustle and plays well, minutes are guaranteed, doesn't and bye bye Ian

SenorSpur
10-06-2009, 10:01 AM
The Spurs have invested a lot in Ian's development. For a kid who has a ton of raw talent, yet has accomplished nothing, it's hard to believe that hunger and desire would be his problem. I trust he will reward them and hopefully things will work out. After all, Duncan is nearing the end and young, talented bigs are at a premium.

However if it turns out that Ian cannot be salvaged, I don't want to see the Spurs simply dump him. Rather the Spurs should pick up the option for his 4th year and use him as trade fodder, either later this year or over the summer. They will most certainly find some team willing to take him. Better to get something for him, than dump him altogether.

hater
10-06-2009, 10:03 AM
well I been looking at the SPurs open practice and I agree Ian looks lazy, slow out there. Being outplayed by all the other bigs. That is not a way to earn minutes.

rjv
10-06-2009, 10:08 AM
good luck ian. your time to show something is never going to be more optimal.

loveforthegame
10-06-2009, 10:13 AM
That's some high praise from McDyess. And Pop says he's hungry for playing time. He's obviously showing something in practice for them to say this.

I just wish whatever it was would translate into the game. He showed some flashes during the SL but I agree he looks lazy at other times.

I don't think it's fair to call him a bust at his age but I don't see where the playing time will come for him either. Duncan, McDyess, and Blair will eat most the minutes. Not to mention Bonner likely getting some minutes.

mountainballer
10-06-2009, 10:39 AM
kinda hard for the 28th overall pick in the draft to be a bust period - although that did turn out to be a pretty special draft.

as you point out there are two views. you can't take it as given that a 28th pick turns into a legit NBA player, on the other hand, if players like Lee, Ellis, Gomes, Turiaf, Bass, Ilyasova, Bass, Azubuike, Lo Williams, were still on the board, a little "what if" should be allowed from time to time.

SenorSpur
10-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Ian has a set of raw tools that no other big on this roster has - including Ratliff. Plus, the best thing about him is that he young. Pop is going to have to find ways to provide him with some minutes so that he keeps developing.

This is the last go around for Duncan and both he and Ratliff will likely not be on the squad in 2 years. There isn't a surplus of young bigs roaming the NBA landscape.

Look how long it's taken Bynum to develop. Remember he was taken #10 overall in the same 2005 draft. Imagine if the Fakers would have jettisoned him after 3 years. While Bynum has also missed a lot of time due to injury, he's had much more playing time than Ian, and he's still a work in progress. Yet, he IS the Fakers starting center.

The point being, for the Spurs prematurely get rid of Ian, while he's progressing, would be a mistake. As long as he is developing and showing progress, it would be foolish to simply give up on him.

mountainballer
10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Look how long it's taken Bynum to develop. Remember he was taken #10 overall in the same 2005 draft. Imagine if the Fakers would have jettisoned him after 3 years. While Bynum has also missed a lot of time due to injury, he's had much more playing time than Ian, and he's still a work in progress. Yet, he IS the Fakers starting center.

are you really serious about this comparison???????????????????????
(maybe the worst you could ever find from that class)
Bynum became a starter and regular rotation player in his 2nd season, when he was just 19.
(still very raw he delivered decent numbers from the beginning)
and he increased this numbers into huge numbers the year after, when he was still only 20.

Bruno
10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
ummm, it's up to Ian to earn his minutes. the Spurs have nothing to do with it. he shows hustle and plays well, minutes are guaranteed, doesn't and bye bye Ian

ummm, I've never said that Ian should get minutes if he doesn't deserve them. :rolleyes

SenorSpur
10-06-2009, 11:01 AM
are you really serious about this comparison???????????????????????
(maybe the worst you could ever find from that class)
Bynum became a starter and regular rotation player in his 2nd season, when he was just 19.
(still very raw he delivered decent numbers from the beginning)
and he increased this numbers into huge numbers the year after, when he was still only 20.

This is not compare players. The point was to highlight the development strategy. Even going into his 5th season, Bynum is nowhere near a finished product. While he's come a long way, he's still got significant development to do.

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 11:20 AM

And :lmao at the sheepish premature ejaculatory posters saying that Ian doesn't give a fuck to play while Pop said “Ian is a very hungry player right now”.

So Timothy Varner is a sheepish, permature ejaculatory poster? Also, Pop said the French doctors are essentially liars and that they suck, is he correct? Point is, sometimes Pop says things that cannot be taken on face value.

What is Pop supposed to say about the guy right now? They are waiting to see what they have in him and he wants to give him confidence. I don't think anyone is saying Ian is always this lazy player, just that in certain moments it can stand out. His energy on the court often appears low because he looks bored or uninterested. Despite that, the vast majority are rooting for Ian and want him to show what he can do.

Just as an aside: If Pops Mensah-Bonsu destroys Ian tonight, will the meltdown be huge?

picnroll
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't get the feeling that Ian is lazy. I think he just doesn't have real good basketball instincts. If he's not directly involved in the play, offensively or defensively, he's not sure what to do with himself, so he just stands around or wanders around a little aimlessly.

I hope he really does well. Last season early he played some promising minutes. But I think he's going to really have to show that there's very little doubt he can see floor time this year or they won't keep him.

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Exactly, people who use the term lazy to describe Ian are inaccurate. He "floats" from time to time. He "drifts" and his energy level drops sometimes. I have seen him play and play very well and hard. He is not lazy.

Bruno
10-06-2009, 11:56 AM
So Timothy Varner is a sheepish, permature ejaculatory poster?

Link to Varner saying that Ian doesn't give a fuck about playing for Spurs ?

Also, Pop said the French doctors are essentially liars and that they suck, is he correct? Point is, sometimes Pop says things that cannot be taken on face value.
What is Pop supposed to say about the guy right now? They are waiting to see what they have in him and he wants to give him confidence.

WTF ?
I don't see the link with French doctors nor I remember Pop saying that they are liar.
And your logic is just awesome:
Pop is lying sometimes (before the Malik Rose trade for example) but that doesn't mean that he is always lying. Most of the time he says the truth or at least is something close to the truth.
Pop surely wouldn't call Ian "very hungry" if he was lazy during practices even to give him some confidence.

I don't think anyone is saying Ian is always this lazy player, just that in certain moments it can stand out. His energy on the court often appears low because he looks bored or uninterested. Despite that, the vast majority are rooting for Ian and want him to show what he can do.

Maybe you should re-read the other thread.

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Link to Varner saying that Ian doesn't give a fuck about playing for Spurs ?

He did not say "Ian does not give a fuck", but he made the observation about his lack of energy. I don't see many people in here saying Ian "does not give a fuck". Most are saying he has moments on the court where his energy is extremely low and where he seems uninterested. We have tried to figure out why this occurs with him.

WTF ?
I don't see the link with French doctors nor I remember Pop saying that they are liar.
And your logic is just awesome:
Pop is lying sometimes (before the Malik Rose trade for example) but that doesn't mean that he is always lying. Most of the time he says the truth or at least is something close to the truth.
Pop surely wouldn't call Ian "very hungry" if he was lazy during practices even to give him some confidence.

Like I said, people who use the word lazy seem to be inaccurate. Low energy or uninterested, for whatever reason, seem to describe Ian at times. I think that was a message from Pop and a confidence shot to Ian. I am confident that Ian works pretty hard overall, but you cannot deny and many have noticed the times where his energy level during moments is lower than the majority of others around him.

Figuring out why is a different story.

Maybe you should re-read the other thread.

Point is, I don't and you should not worry too much about what a small percentage of posters who bash on players without much logic say. Most of the comments about Ian are positive and I think almost everyone wants Ian to pan out.

Some will call him a "bust" or just rip the guy, but others are making an observation on his game. Just like saying Bonner not rebounding is noticeable, sometimes Ian's low energy is as well.

Spursmania
10-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I wish all the best to Ian.

I'd really like to see him work out given all the time spent working with the Spurs. I am not as confident as I'd like to be given the small amount of minutes he will be getting. Also, I'd like to see him play very well consistently-- something I have not seen yet.

But, hell if this kid works out, he will be a phenomenal big catch for the Spurs. That being said, can Ian produce? We'll all see... Good luck to you Ian.

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
Ian is the Spurs saviour. If he works out, he can be a very solid rotational player for the Spurs and fills a huge need (size, shot blocking, good mid-range offense) now and down the road.

If he just works on making quicker, more decisive decisions he will be fine I think. He has a solid 12-15 jump shot, decent foot work, pretty nice touch around the basket, can run the floor, is very athletic and his defense is good. His rotations on defense and activity could pick up and he needs to make sure that he focuses on positioning for rebounding.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Ian is the Spurs saviour

ehhh...

Bruno
10-06-2009, 12:30 PM
He did not say "Ian does not give a fuck", but he made the observation about his lack of energy.

Me: "And :lmao at the sheepish premature ejaculatory posters saying that Ian doesn't give a fuck to play"
You: "So Timothy Varner is a sheepish, permature ejaculatory poster?"
Me: "Link to Varner saying that Ian doesn't give a fuck about playing for Spurs ? "
You: "He did not say "Ian does not give a fuck""

:downspin: That's a quite unreal exchange.

Like I said, people who use the word lazy seem to be inaccurate. Low energy or uninterested, for whatever reason, seem to describe Ian at times. I think that was a message from Pop and a confidence shot to Ian. I am confident that Ian works pretty hard overall, but you cannot deny and many have noticed the times where his energy level during moments is lower than the majority of others around him.

Did I say : "And :lmao at the sheepish premature ejaculatory posters saying that Ian is playing sometimes with less energy." ?
No.

I was talking to poster saying that Ian wasn't interested or motivated by playing basketball. I you don't think that, I wasn't talking to you so I don't know why you are after me.

I have no problem with people thinking that Ian will end up as a bust or having serious doubt about him. It's their opinion and they could be right.
What I find laughable is people bashing someone without any common sense.

Point is, I don't and you should not worry too much about what a small percentage of posters who bash on players without much logic say.

Worry?
It's not like I've spend hours writing a novel to this small percentage of posters.

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, I was the one bringing up the lack of energy and I assumed you were talking to me.

I also did not see anyone in the "Scrimmage Thoughts" thread say "Ian does not give a fuck". So I thought that was the thread you were referring to and I thought you saying "Ian does not give a fuck" was a translation of what you thought people who were commenting on the energy level were saying. No one in that thread said that and neither did Varner.

benefactor
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
I have been sensing much bitterness in Bruno since the whole Parker ordeal over the summer......

in2deep
10-06-2009, 01:19 PM
Ian is a mystery

nkdlunch
10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
ummm, I've never said that Ian should get minutes if he doesn't deserve them. :rolleyes

:rolleyes

well you did make it seem like it's up to the Spurs to give him minutes or not in order for Ian to stay. My point is, Ian has not even earned a spot in the Spurs, it's up to him to accomplish this. He needs to put the effort, it's not up to the Spurs

ElNono
10-06-2009, 01:27 PM
This is not compare players. The point was to highlight the development strategy. Even going into his 5th season, Bynum is nowhere near a finished product. While he's come a long way, he's still got significant development to do.

Except that Bynum is set to make 50+ millions in the next 3/4 years. The Lakers already committed to his development.
I'm not completely sure the Spurs want to commit over $2 million on Ian unless he shows significant progress when the season starts. Especially since we're on luxury tax territory already. So, for Ian, the time is now. Either show what you have or pack your shit up.

NFGIII
10-06-2009, 01:28 PM
The Spurs have invested a lot in Ian's development. For a kid who has a ton of raw talent, yet has accomplished nothing, it's hard to believe that hunger and desire would be his problem. I trust he will reward them and hopefully things will work out. After all, Duncan is nearing the end and young, talented bigs are at a premium.

However if it turns out that Ian cannot be salvaged, I don't want to see the Spurs simply dump him. Rather the Spurs should pick up the option for his 4th year and use him as trade fodder, either later this year or over the summer. They will most certainly find some team willing to take him. Better to get something for him, than dump him altogether.

Exactly. There has been too much time and money invested in Ian just to simply dump him. And as chumpdumper already pointed out he is only 22.

I don't get the feeling that Ian is lazy. I think he just doesn't have real good basketball instincts. If he's not directly involved in the play, offensively or defensively, he's not sure what to do with himself, so he just stands around or wanders around a little aimlessly.

I hope he really does well. Last season early he played some promising minutes. But I think he's going to really have to show that there's very little doubt he can see floor time this year or they won't keep him.

I've had the same feeling, too. I think he is a little on the low side of BB IQ which doesn't bode well for him as a Spur. Hopefully I will turn out to be wrong and all he needs is more playing time as well as some NBA tutoring via TD, McDyss and Ratliff. But to me Ian is a model of inconsistency which he had better do something about.

Come on Ian and show us why you got the attention of the FO and became our 1st round pick in '05! Opportunities like these don't come around all the time. And there won't be too many after this season for you to prove you belong.

SCdac
10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
For the most part, I hope he's retained. A young 7 footer who averaged 17/8 with the Toros and should know our system by now, depending on if he floats or massively sinks in the next 25 days, I'd say absorb that 3.5 million and have an extra big on our roster for insurance. It's unfortunate somebody we've had the rights to for almost 5 years has such a limited amount of time to prove himself, but that's the business when you're frequently injured.

Mark in Austin
10-06-2009, 02:20 PM
It's like the EN writes are trolling SR for story ideas...

sonic21
10-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Hope he'll make the rotation.

This kid has improved with each passing year and seems to have a solid offensive skill set to play in the NBA. He brings a different skill set than any other big on the Spurs roster.

Too bad he lost a year because the spurs doctors didn't have a clue what he had.

timvp
10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I hope Mahinmi gets a ton of minutes in the preseason and does well. Even if he's not able to win minutes this year, hopefully he shows enough to give the Spurs confidence that he can eventually fill in for players like McDyess and Ratliff.

Hopefully he can get comfortable enough to get back to that energetic and aggressive type of play we saw out of him in preseason a couple years ago. I don't expect much from him early in preseason but by the final couple of games, he'll need to show something for the Spurs to continue their investment.

SamoanTD
10-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Ian, blair, and haislip future primary bigs of SA if they produce like every one expects them 2.