PDA

View Full Version : As we discussed here, Beno may not make the playoff roster

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Spurs notebook: Rookie Udrih no sure bet to make playoff roster
Web Posted: 04/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041405.6C.BKNspurs.udrih.1d63d4c47.html

SALT LAKE CITY — If Devin Brown is healthy enough to be added to the playoff roster — which is still a big if — the Spurs might have a tough decision to make.

Given the tenderness of Tim Duncan's and Rasho Nesterovic's ankles, the Spurs would like to go into the playoffs with at least three backup big men: Robert Horry, Nazr Mohammed and Tony Massenburg.

Glenn Robinson also has scored enough to warrant consideration for the postseason.

Coach Gregg Popovich's decision could come down to how much confidence he has in rookie Beno Udrih and whether he thinks the team will need all three of its point guards.

Mike Wilks is a better defender than Udrih.

"I think (Udrih) is still struggling from time to time with the physical play," Popovich said. "I think he's learning how he has to play in certain situations where calls may go a certain way and he has to adjust his game.

"But as far as what we're doing on offense and defense, he's very smart and knows what we're doing."

Here today, gone tomorrow: Linton Johnson III was placed on the injured list to make room for Tim Duncan.

Johnson spent two games on the active roster after the Spurs put Nesterovic on the injured list Sunday.

Johnson, who has spent most of the season on the injured list with a stress fracture in his left foot, has appeared in two games for a total of 15 minutes.

Foreign travelers: The Spurs will be heavily represented at the NBA's Basketball Without Borders camps this summer.

Manu Ginobili will help lead the camp in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Tony Parker will do the same in China. Udrih will be in South Africa.

Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and director of scouting Lance Blanks will be the South African camp directors.

The camps allow teenage players from the local countries to work with NBA stars.

Nice job if you can get it: USA Today's Greg Boeck recently completed a 124-day, 43,020-mile tour of the NBA's 30 arenas.

Boeck tried to purchase $50 tickets in each arena to see what fans received for their investment. He ranked the "fan-friendliness" of each building in five categories: seating (40 percent); parking, fan involvement, entertainment and concessions (15percent each).

The Spurs received a total fan-friendly score of 3.62 (out of a possible 6), tying them for 15th with Portland among the league's 30 franchises. Denver finished first (4.16) and New Jersey last (2.82).

The Spurs were downgraded for their parking situation, but Boeck did praise the SBC Center.

"Outside of Denver's total experience, nothing left a more lasting impression on me than the colorful concourse at the SBC Center in San Antonio," he wrote. "It was a socializing and dining delight, with stops to get a massage, a margarita or even a spit shine. I felt like I was at a sports bar — with live action."

Thanks for the support: Karl Malone, the longtime Utah forward the Spurs failed to recruit, watched the Jazz lose to the Clippers on Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Malone attended the game to see his former coach, Jerry Sloan.

"He wouldn't want me to say it, but I do feel sorry for him," Malone told Utah reporters. "It's probably the first time in a long time where he had a group of guys and he couldn't reach them all."

Malone said he doesn't know whether the Jazz's poor record would force Sloan, the team's coach for the past 17 seasons, to retire.

"If he don't come back, it wouldn't surprise me," Malone said. "If he comes back, it'll surprise me maybe a little bit."

Broadcast change: Wednesday's regular-season finale in Minnesota no longer will be televised by ESPN. KENS will continue to show the 7 p.m. game.

whottt
04-14-2005, 12:44 AM
I think the Spurs are trying to yank Beno's chain by letting this get out...Maybe they don't like Beno's effort lately....usually the Spurs don't let advance news like this out...I think they have a purpose with it.

I personally cringe at the idea of Wilks taking the court in a playoff game but that's just me...He makes just as many mistakes as Beno does IMO, but at least Beno can shoot...

It sounds like Marks won't make the playoff roster...I can understand why with the way Nazr has been playing lately...

milkyway21
04-14-2005, 12:47 AM
Beno not on playoff roster would be sooo disappointing for me. :cry

watch out many teams would go for this kid soon...

Experiment2100
04-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Beno not on playoff roster would be sooo disappointing for me. :cry

watch out many teams would go for this kid soon...

We got him for two years a third being a team option and a forth containing a qualifying offer.

Duncanoypi
04-14-2005, 01:31 AM
oh nooooo.....we need a shooters come play off time...if Beno will not included...get Steve Kerr....

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 01:32 AM
oh nooooo.....we need a shooters come play off time

Brent Barry.
Glenn Robinson.

slayermin
04-14-2005, 01:36 AM
Wow. You guys were right. I never thought Beno would be left off but I guess Pop is seriously considering it.

AFE7FATMAN
04-14-2005, 02:36 AM
What has happened to POP- Leave a Guard off the roster and take a big Man instead?
What kind of wine has he been drinking?

and maybe he ought to finish the bottle.

Mr. Body
04-14-2005, 03:02 AM
I'd be hugely surprised if he was left off. This sounds like a strategic leak, get the kid in gear.

xcoriate
04-14-2005, 06:23 AM
cia

spurster
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Isn't a choice between Beno and Wilks, not Beno and Marks?

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Isn't a choice between Beno and Wilks, not Beno and Marks?

Yes. The article indicates that Marks (and Johnson) will be left off and that the final spot is between Beno and Wilks.

bigzak25
04-14-2005, 10:51 AM
i vote wilks. other teams always seem to make their runs with beno on the floor.

maxpower
04-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Considering Beno has played a more prominent role with the team throughout the season I would hate for him to be left off the roster. Wilks has come in spot situations against small guards and I would imagine Pop may be looking for the possible matchup against Denver specifically. But overall I like how Beno has played for the most part. He has been a relatively steady backup for Parker.

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Beno's defense and decision making have diminished as the season has worn on. Plus his confidence and shooting have been spotty at best over the last few months.

Wilks is obviously a better defender, but he's so small. If Wilks makes the roster, then Barry will probably get the bulk of the backup point guard minutes with Wilks just used situationally. If Beno makes the roster, then Barry will probably back Beno up.

Either way, it's not that bad of a situation but I wouldn't want to make the decision.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Wow. How is that even a choice? Beno seems like the the clear option.

I would leave Devin Brown and Wilks off, and keep both Beno and Marks.

I love Devin, but is it worth the risk of a spot if he's not 100%?

MI21
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I can't see Beno being left off the roster, I just can't.

Choosing Wilks over Beno would be silly, I'm no Beno homer, but it's easy to see he brings more to the table.

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 11:00 AM
Well, they'll make sure Devin can play before they keep him on. Devin is going to go through a full practice tomorrow and that should tell them a lot.

bigzak25
04-14-2005, 11:11 AM
well, if Devin is out, it's a moot issue with beno/wilks,

but as you said, the added benefit is that Barry will get more minutes on the floor, backing up TP or whatnot....and we all know that more minutes for Barry is a good thing...i don't want him reverting to the barry that sucked just because devin is back on the end of the bench....

SLOVENIAN 8
04-14-2005, 11:17 AM
Who was better the whole season Beno or Wilks??????????????

There is no doubt that Beno!!!

tlongII
04-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Leaving Udrih off of the playoff roster would be a f***ing stupid move by the Spurs.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
screw wilks..

and also, wtf is wrong with the sbc parking situation?

SequSpur
04-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Beno was very good in the Phoenix games, but other than that he sucks.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
well, if Devin is out, it's a moot issue with beno/wilks,

Not quite. I'd take Sean Marks over both of them!

OUT: Johnson, Brown and Wilks.

If Brown is in, then I lose both Beno and Wilks. Then it becomes moot.

Reason: Shaq. Sean = another big.

whottt
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Sequ...do you really want Beno over Wilks?

This isn't a choice of Beno or John Stockton...

This is a choice of Beno or Wilks...

duncan2k5
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Wilks gets rattled too easily and picks up too many stupid fouls. plus beno is a better shooter and has proven he could score 20+ if needed to

whottt
04-14-2005, 12:37 PM
plus beno is a better shooter and has proven he could score 20+ if needed to

I forgot about that too....good point.

SequSpur
04-14-2005, 12:38 PM
They both suck, but if I had my choice.

Beno. When that dude is hittin it...... He is hittin it......... When he isn't... than he isn't..........

This mofo is easily coached. Hey boy, get in the game.... shoot it a couple of times... good? Stay out there....... Miss two? Sit your ass down and try something else.

Wilks to me, is just uh...... hmmmm... what does he bring? No flash, nothing...... He's just there........

So yeah...... Beno.

whottt
04-14-2005, 12:42 PM
The only reason the Spurs are considering Wilks is because they might have to deal with Boykins...but I don't know where people are getting this idea that Wilks can stop Boykins either...why? Because he's short and black? I don't think Boykins cares and I think he will own Wilks as badly as he does anyone else. The best way to deal with Boykins is to put a big guy on him that he can't shoot over...and who can shoot over him.

SequSpur
04-14-2005, 12:43 PM
Exactly, Boykins ain't got shit. I could take his ass to the hole.

SLOVENIAN 8
04-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Big Dog on Boykins

whottt
04-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Boykins is a bitch to deal with...but I don't think the fact that Wilks is a better defender will matter against Boykins though...Boykins smokes anyone with his quickness, including Parker...so if we take Wilks we'll be taking a guy that's gonna get burnt on D anyway by Earl...but who won't be able to shoot on top of it....I haven't see any Spur stop Boykins...and that includes Wilks.

patty
04-14-2005, 12:51 PM
I think the Spurs are trying to yank Beno's chain by letting this get out...Maybe they don't like Beno's effort lately....usually the Spurs don't let advance news like this out...I think they have a purpose with it.

I personally cringe at the idea of Wilks taking the court in a playoff game but that's just me...He makes just as many mistakes as Beno does IMO, but at least Beno can shoot...

It sounds like Marks won't make the playoff roster...I can understand why with the way Nazr has been playing lately...
Beno is better than number 4, 34, 3
Even Beno's effort is not good recently, he is good player.
I support Beno
Beno go :elephant

patty
04-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Wow. How is that even a choice? Beno seems like the the clear option.

I would leave Devin Brown and Wilks off, and keep both Beno and Marks.

I love Devin, but is it worth the risk of a spot if he's not 100%?
I love Beno, but Marks,,,,,,,,
Beno is better than Marks, right? :oops

Solid D
04-14-2005, 01:00 PM
No way Udrih doesn't make the playoff roster. Motivate Beno however you want to Pop, but Wilks over Beno in reality would just be "Popaganda".

whottt
04-14-2005, 01:03 PM
I was originally in favor of Marks, because Nazr and Mass sucked....but not with the way Nazr and Massenburg have been playing lately...The way they have been playing lately makes them no brainers to be on the roster.

Nazr's play lately has made him a guranteed lock for the playoff roster...IMO.
If I have to choose a big to be left off the roster I choose Marks.

And I also choose Big Dog over Devin Brown...Big Dogg still threatens teams enough to draw a double team...it's happened to him in the last two games...Can you imagine how much it will help Parker and Manu get room to penetrate if you have Big Dog and Duncan on the court at the same time?

IceColdBrewski
04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Nowhere in that article does Pop mention leaving Beno off the playoff roster. It's all speculation from the writer. Calm down people.

usckk
04-14-2005, 02:16 PM
I think Coach Pop and the rest of the coaches are worried about a first round matchup with Denver. Because of this, they need a quick PG to defend Boykins, which Wilks is able to do.

picnroll
04-14-2005, 02:33 PM
Neither. Pick up some Euro-PG who's season's ended and is off contract. There has to be somebody out there better than what these two have shown of late.

SLOVENIAN 8
04-14-2005, 02:35 PM
Neither. Pick up some Euro-PG who's season's ended and is off contract. There has to be somebody out there better than what these two have shown of late.

Lakovič!

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
I think at the moment, I leave off Wilks, Marks (as much as it kills me), and LJIII.

Beno has annoyed me lately, but he's the better overall player.

IceColdBrewski
04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Neither. Pick up some Euro-PG who's season's ended and is off contract...

You must be joking.

Que Gee
04-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Beno will not be left off the roster infavor of Wilks.

mookie2001
04-14-2005, 03:49 PM
dam
are we even discussing this?
marks' ass should in casual attire, beno makes it without question

IceColdBrewski
04-14-2005, 03:51 PM
It's not even worth discussion.

All this over a writer who was reaching for something to put into print before a deadline. :rolleyes

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 03:55 PM
I think at the moment, I leave off Wilks, Marks (as much as it kills me), and LJIII.

Beno has annoyed me lately, but he's the better overall player.

Even if Devin's not 100%?

Slo spurs fan
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Remember how well Beno played D on Nash? Don't? See some videos.Especially in OT. And yea, why Parker shouldn't guard Boykins? Do you wanna see Wilks on Nash lately in playoffs? I don't. What if (God don't let this happen!) Tony gets hurt? Will Mike run pg 30 min. I hope not.

Que Gee
04-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Even if Devin's not 100%?

Even if Devin is not 100%...

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
All this over a writer who was reaching for something to put into print before a deadline.

You do realize that Johnny Ludden only writes about stuff that's being talked about within the team. This isn't just a pure opinion piece on his part.

I'm not saying that they are going to leave Beno off the playoff roster, but don't think that it isn't being considered at all.

picnroll
04-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Please ask Ludden to check his facts with IceColdBrewski next time before he publishes an article.

SequSpur
04-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I thought Ludden wrote for that website that claims to have inside info but has no press pass?

WTF?

bigbendbruisebrother
04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
"Popaganda"

:lol

IceColdBrewski
04-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Please ask Ludden to check his facts with IceColdBrewski next time before he publishes an article.

What facts? Like I said before. It's all speculation.

If this Ludden guy knows so damn much, where the hell was he when the Spurs were working on signing Glenn Robinson?

Rummpd
04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
If that case Pop goes for Massenburg, more dependability on what he brings.

MI21
04-15-2005, 12:50 AM
If it was about Parker being left off the playoff roster, Brewski would be all over it as agreat decision.

:)

IceColdBrewski
04-15-2005, 12:55 AM
If it was about Parker being left off the playoff roster, Brewski would be all over it as agreat decision.

:)

Nah. Parker needs to be on the roster.

mattyc
04-15-2005, 03:48 AM
Leaving Beno off would be suicide. As much as we love TP, he still needs to find consistency in the playoffs. If he doesn't fire, then we could rely on Beno to do it. Wilks cannot produce what Beno could.

Kori Ellis
04-15-2005, 03:51 AM
If they didn't have Beno on the roster, then obviously Barry would get the bulk of the minutes at the backup point. Wilks can only be used in certain situations as he is way too short.

Mr. Body
04-15-2005, 04:04 AM
Beno is the backup point of the future, not simply the present. Wilks, as much as we like him, is a journeyman.

They will put Beno on the roster not because he's talented and not despite his troubles lately, but in order to get experience. He's not going to be so terrible as to lose games, by any stretch of the imagination, and any failings can be covered by sliding Barry over. They will put Beno on in order to get him playoff experience.

angel_luv
04-15-2005, 12:45 PM
I hope Beno makes the play offs. Seems strange that he's talented enough to be an All Star Rookie but not good enough to make this squad. However our roster is very competitive. And you guys had legitimate points about why Pop might select other guys instead.

I would also like to see Sean Marks make the play off team. He has worked really hard for us and not just this season. He hasn't has a huge amount of playing time but neither have several other guys who have been with the team less.

That's just me though. Chances are I am way too sentimental to be making roster decisions. I'm sure Pop will make the right call.

Shelly
04-15-2005, 01:06 PM
I need to ask a stupid question or two:

Why do teams have to have a playoff roster? If someone gets injured are teams shit out of luck?

*goes back to being clueless*

sa_butta
04-16-2005, 02:54 PM
This is if Brown does not return if so Wilks is off.

Playoff Roster
1.Duncan
2.Nesterovic
3.Barry
4.Bowen
5.Parker
6.Ginobilli
7.Horry
8.Robinson
9.Udrih
10.Mohammed
11.T-Mass
12.Wilks

spurster
04-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Based on tonight's game, I'd say Beno's in.

Rummpd
04-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I would take the above list except leave Wilks off for Marks. With Rasho coming back need big bodies.

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-16-2005, 10:03 PM
Exactly, Boykins ain't got shit. I could take his ass to the hole.

:idiot :idiot Is that your hole :lol :lol :lol

bigbendbruisebrother
04-16-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks like the "Popaganda" worked its magic on Beno. Besides Brent Barry having to yell at him to get it across the line early in the 4th, he played very well, and didn't get slapped around on the high screen and rolls like he had been. Sweet shooting, competent defense. He's in.