PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Duncan returns for loss

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 12:43 AM
Duncan returns for loss
Web Posted: 04/14/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA041405.1C.BKNspurs.jazz.gamer.1d63d48ed.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Tim Duncan had played 20 minutes, 20 more than he totaled the previous three weeks. He had made all but one of his seven shots and scored 17 points to go along with seven rebounds.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich already had deemed Duncan's return a success. Which was why he left him on the bench with the score tied with 7.5 seconds remaining, and the Spurs needing one stop.

As Duncan watched, Mehmet Okur's put-back with 2.4 seconds left Wednesday night lifted the Utah Jazz to a 93-91 victory in front of 17,014 at the Delta Center.

While the loss hurt the Spurs' chances to gain the Western Conference's No. 1 playoff seed — they trail Phoenix by 1 1/2 games with three to play — the score was of secondary concern. For the team, getting Duncan back was good enough.

"I don't want to fall for fool's gold and put him in a position where the ankle's too weak," Popovich said. "I'm just glad he made it through it."

Duncan, who missed the previous 12 games after spraining his right ankle against Detroit on March 20, left the court for good with 9:26 remaining. He said his ankle felt fine after he got warm.

"It was just kind of hard being around bodies and watching where you land," Duncan said. "After a while, I got used to it."

Popovich said Tuesday he doubted Duncan would play in Utah but changed his mind after watching him work out Wednesday. Duncan played one-on-one against Sean Marks on Tuesday and came out of the session feeling good.

"About halfway through his workout, he thought maybe it's about time to get a little run," Popovich said.

Though Duncan, as expected, looked a step slow at times, he made his first three shots, including a 20-footer a little more than two minutes into the game.

Early in the second quarter, Duncan went up and under to bank in a short shot. He drove into the lane on the following possession to toss in a runner. He also successfully followed his only miss.

"That's all I've been doing for a week and a half or two weeks is shooting," Duncan said. "I was actually a little upset I missed (three) free throws."

Popovich, who had hoped to limit Duncan to 16 minutes, played him in four- to six-minute stretches. Duncan worked to buy himself more time.

After the officials stopped play in the middle of the third quarter because Okur had a cut on his arm, Popovich sent Robert Horry to the scorer's table to replace Duncan. Horry started to step onto the court, but Duncan reminded the officials the Spurs couldn't make a switch.

"No subs for blood!" Duncan shouted to officials.

Duncan stayed on the floor for a few more seconds until play was stopped again when Jazz center Ben Handlogten was called for a loose-ball foul.

"That's not a foul," Duncan said as he walked to the bench.

"I thought he was fantastic," Popovich said. "He really has a lot of poise on the floor; he had his touch. He ran the floor really well and had his wind — that's what I was really impressed with.

"What he can't do well is move laterally really well and start and stop. That's going to take time."

The Spurs, playing their sixth game in eight nights, trailed by as many 15 points in the first half before rallying. Utah, which also had played Tuesday, repeatedly beat them to rebounds and loose balls in the first two quarters.

"I had as fresh of legs as anyone," Duncan said. "You can't expect (everything) from these guys. I know Manu (Ginobili) and Tony (Parker) said they were absolutely exhausted, even at the beginning of the game."

Still, the Spurs had almost enough left to pull out a victory. Nazr Mohammed tied the game on a dunk off a missed free throw by Ginobili with 7.5 seconds left.

Following a timeout, Gordan Giricek drove past Ginobili to the rim. Horry blocked Giricek's reverse layup attempt, but no one picked up Okur, who easily put back the shot.

Okur also beat the Spurs on Jan. 10 on a follow shot at the buzzer at the same basket.

Ginobili had a chance to send the game into overtime but missed a runner, and Glenn Robinson's follow shot came after the final buzzer.

"We let Giricek beat us too quickly, and the help defense was really poor," Popovich said. "That hurt a little bit, team wisdom-wise, not realizing that was a huge key to block out no matter what play they ran."

No amount of lobbying was going to convince Popovich to let Duncan back on the floor.

"I was asking the entire game," Duncan said. "He's gotten to the point where he just ignores me."

whottt
04-14-2005, 12:57 AM
"No subs for blood!" Duncan shouted to officials.

"That's not a foul," Duncan said as he walked to the bench.

"

:lol

That's hilarious.

That's probably the first time in NBA history a player did not want a foul called on his opponent :)

whottt
04-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Following a timeout, Gordan Giricek drove past Ginobili to the rim. Horry blocked Giricek's reverse layup attempt, but no one picked up Okur, who easily put back the shot.

This was Brent Barry's fault...he was supposed to run 20 feet and pick up Okur because 3 feet was too far for Parker and Bowen to run...

And we all know if you want anyone defending Okur in that situation it's Barry[/Erratic hating mofo]

T Park
04-14-2005, 01:12 AM
I wouldnt rip anyone after tonight.

These guys have to be shot.
The schedual is such a bitch.

The two days off will do them wonders.

It would be nice to sit Ginobili and Parker for saturday, and let them get 4 days.

That would do them unbelieveable good.

whottt
04-14-2005, 01:26 AM
Don't get on me...Exstatic started it...his Barry hate is out of control...since he felt the need to blame I felt the need to make sure it was directed in the correct direction...

But yeah...I agree they are tired and should get a free pass...

T Park
04-14-2005, 01:56 AM
They are ALL tired.

From Mohammed to Barry to Parker and GInobili.

Give em a break guys.

Mohammed was tired, only 10 boards.

AFE7FATMAN
04-14-2005, 02:00 AM
Mohammed might have had one more board if he hadn't been sit on the bench after he got the dunk.
Oh I forgot POP doesn't give a hoot about these games.

milkyway21
04-14-2005, 03:43 AM
so, what can you say about this?

when Nazr Mohammed grabbed the rebound and dunked it to tie the game with 7.5 seconds to play.

"Okur felt Mohammed knocked him down to get to the ball and remained on the floor for several moments, looking to the officials for a call he didn't get"

...a foul? :huh

slayermin
04-14-2005, 04:44 AM
I love the nastiness of Nazr and Glenn. They are not scared to give a hard foul or mix it up. If you throw TMass into the mix, the Spurs are downright mean.

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Hell, I don't even care about our seeding now.

As long as everyone is healthy, we will win this.

Bring on the Nuggets!

Believe

spurster
04-14-2005, 11:31 AM
TD played surprisingly well, no rust at all. He was still a little gimpy on the ankle, but I guess he will just have to work though it.

polandprzem
04-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Tim is just awesome!
that's why I love this man.