PDA

View Full Version : Why do I support the right for a person to have a gun you ask?

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Tonight, while Jessica and I were watching a movie, we heard a noise outside of her window and in the bushes. She thought it was a cat, but I thought it was somebody who had stumbled into the bushes. I looked out the window to see a hispanic man standing around.

A few minutes later we hear a few more crashes in the hallway adjecent to her apartment.

Thinking it was one of Jekka's neighbors, we paid it no mind and simply went back to watching the movie.

Fast forward 30 minutes later, and we see a spotlight on the window for a minute. We wonder what it is and then I hear a helicopter circling. I call SAPD to find out that there has been a break in on a third floor apartment. The third floor apartment right above Jessica.

What we heard was the a potted plant falling from the balcony above while they were climbing up to the apartment. The man I saw was a lookout for the break in. And the crashes in the hallway we heard were them running after they got a VCR and a DVD player.

I gave the description (a lot of good it will do, it narrows it down to a few hundred thousand men in SA) to the police, and spoke to the guy who lived in the apartment. Nice guy, I'd spoken to him a few times before.

But the thing is now, Jess lives on the first floor. What the hell is to stop the same fuckers from trying something here?

Kori Ellis
04-14-2005, 01:02 AM
Holy cow!

Did the guy see that you saw him?

timvp
04-14-2005, 01:04 AM
Damn.

Make sure Jekka locks all doors and windows when by herself ... and a gun wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-14-2005, 02:55 AM
guns are great

i'd like a crowbar, or aluminum bat...

but for anyone to say you are wrong to want/have a gun doesnt even deserve to be responded to

The Big Chicken
04-14-2005, 05:06 AM
Americans :bang

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 07:08 AM
A pump action shotgun is the simplest and easiest to use for home defense.

NeoConIV
04-14-2005, 07:16 AM
Plus, just the sound of the pumping action is enough to send the phuckers running.

Jekka alright? Sucks losing that peace of mind when a crime takes place so close to home.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 07:51 AM
She's fine. For what it's worth I'm here with her a lot of the time, but still.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 08:07 AM
sounds like you need a fucking dog too! screw picking up all those stray cats you guys take in...

Shelly
04-14-2005, 08:08 AM
How scary! Stay safe!

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
There are a lot more friends and family accidently and otherwise killed by guns(50-1) in the home than being used for killing prowlers.

That is a fact.

If you do not hunt, you do not need a gun.

A friend of mine lost his little brother when he was showing a gun to a friend and they thought the gun was on safety, and his friend shot him.

Happens all the time...you can read about it every day somewhere in America.

Lock your doors and windows, and do what you did, and that is to watch your neighbors' homes for them and vice versa....that is 100 times more effective.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 08:15 AM
get a gun manny and if someone breaks in to your place shoot to kill... maybe then you will support the death penalty!

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Some facts:

Deaths and Injuries
Every eight hours a child or teen was killed in a firearm-related accident or suicide in 2001.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, "Deaths: Final Data for 2001." NVSR Vol. 52, No. 3. 116 pp. (PHS) 2003-1120.
Annual Totals (2001, 0-19 year-olds): Accidents=182, Suicides=928. (2001 is the most recent data available.)
On average, 4 children died every day in non-homicide firearm incidents from 1996-2001.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, 1996-2001.
From 1996-2001, more than 1,530 children were killed in firearm accidents.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, 1996-2001.
In 2002, there were 13,053 kids injured by a firearm -- and an additional 16,182 kids were injured from BB or pellet guns.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, "National Electronic Injury Surveillance System All Injury Program," 2002.
On average during each of the last 10 years (1992-2001), 1,273 kids committed suicide with a firearm each year; more than 145 each year were kids under 15-years-old.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, 1992-1998, 1999-2001.
The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 years was nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 46(05): 101-105, February 07, 1997.
Ownership
40% of American households with children have guns.

Peter Hart Research Associates, "Americans’ Attitudes on Children’s Access to Guns: A National Poll for Common Sense about Kids and Guns," July 1999.
Two in every five adults (39%) live in households where one or more guns are owned. One in every six live in households with a rifle and a shotgun and a pistol.

The Harris Poll, #25, May 30, 2001.
34% of children in the United States (representing more than 22 million children in 11 million homes) live in homes with at least one firearm. In 69 percent of homes with firearms and children, more than one firearm is present.

The RAND Corporation, "Guns in the Family: Firearm Storage Patterns in U.S. Homes with Children," March 2001, an analysis of the 1994 National Health Interview Survey and Year 2000 objectives supplement. Also published as Schuster et al., "Firearm Storage Patterns in U.S. Homes with Children," American Journal of Public Health 90(4): 588-594, April 2000.
38% of households in the U.S. have at least one gun and 24% contain a handgun.

Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, National Opinion Research Center, "Fall 1998 National Gun Policy Survey: Questionnaire with Unweighted Frequencies and Weighted Percentages," 1999. PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:17 AM
get a gun manny and if someone breaks in to your place shoot to kill... maybe then you will support the death penalty!

Good thinking.

:rolleyes

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 08:19 AM
you guys are just sooooo narrow minded!

those guys have a right to work hard earning a living too!

You figure that three guys had to spend time planning this thing, driving there, doing their job, driving away, and then re-selling the merchandise...lets face it..a used VCR and DVD with the serial numbers scratched off aren't exactly easy to get rid of...these poor industrious guys probably aren't even getting minimum wage for their effort...

I can't believe you guys want to further complicate their lives by shooting at them while they are struggling to "break in" to their chosen profession...

Shelly
04-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Buy some window locks and one for her patio door. Keep the light on all the time. I think you can buy some portable type alarm also.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Train the cats to become attack cats.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 08:27 AM
all your stats refer to kids... neither manny, nor his gf are kids... not sure how many kids they have in their home. but i would find little solace if someone broke into my home and i couldn't do anything to defend it bc i didn't have a gun... guns are like anything else... you must be responsible with them... how many kids have died in automobile accidents?

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Some facts:

Deaths and Injuries
Every eight hours a child or teen was killed in a firearm-related accident or suicide in 2001.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, "Deaths: Final Data for 2001." NVSR Vol. 52, No. 3. 116 pp. (PHS) 2003-1120.
Annual Totals (2001, 0-19 year-olds): Accidents=182, Suicides=928. (2001 is the most recent data available.)
On average, 4 children died every day in non-homicide firearm incidents from 1996-2001.

From 1996-2001, more than 1,530 children were killed in firearm accidents.

In 2002, there were 13,053 kids injured by a firearm -- and an additional 16,182 kids were injured from BB or pellet guns.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Injury Prevention and Control and the Consumer Product Safety Commission, "National Electronic Injury Surveillance System All Injury Program," 2002.
On average during each of the last 10 years (1992-2001), 1,273 kids committed suicide with a firearm each year; more than 145 each year were kids under 15-years-old.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's National Center for Health Statistics, 1992-1998, 1999-2001.
The overall firearm-related death rate among U.S. children aged less than 15 years was nearly 12 times higher than among children in 25 other industrialized countries combined.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Rates of Homicide, Suicide, and Firearm-Related Death Among Children -- 26 Industrialized Countries," Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report 46(05): 101-105, February 07, 1997.
Ownership
40% of American households with children have guns.

Peter Hart Research Associates, "Americans’ Attitudes on Children’s Access to Guns: A National Poll for Common Sense about Kids and Guns," July 1999.
Two in every five adults (39%) live in households where one or more guns are owned. One in every six live in households with a rifle and a shotgun and a pistol.

The Harris Poll, #25, May 30, 2001.
34% of children in the United States (representing more than 22 million children in 11 million homes) live in homes with at least one firearm. In 69 percent of homes with firearms and children, more than one firearm is present.

The RAND Corporation, "Guns in the Family: Firearm Storage Patterns in U.S. Homes with Children," March 2001, an analysis of the 1994 National Health Interview Survey and Year 2000 objectives supplement. Also published as Schuster et al., "Firearm Storage Patterns in U.S. Homes with Children," American Journal of Public Health 90(4): 588-594, April 2000.
38% of households in the U.S. have at least one gun and 24% contain a handgun.

Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, National Opinion Research Center, "Fall 1998 National Gun Policy Survey: Questionnaire with Unweighted Frequencies and Weighted Percentages," 1999. PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Here are a few facts Jim.

My dad has had a gun in house all of his life. I've had a gun in my house all of my life. My dad has never shot anyone. I have never shot anyone. There have been zero deaths at either residence.

If you are responsible, practice common sense, and follow ALL safety guidelines, gun ownership can be very safe.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Here are a few facts Jim.

My dad has had a gun in house all of his life. I've had a gun in my house all of my life. My dad has never shot anyone. I have never shot anyone. There have been zero deaths at either residence.

If you are responsible, practice common sense, and follow ALL safety guidelines, gun ownership can be very safe.

Good for you.

That does not mean shit.

Do you have kids?

Are kids responsible?

Are Americans responsible?

Do you read the paper, listen to radio, watch tv news?

Those are the facts...they are not made up, and for you to site your own personal experience is irresponsible and nearsighted.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
In Texas in 2002 2,301 people died from the use of firearms.

1,315 of those were suicides.

986 were either accidental or intentional excluding suicides.

In that same year in Texas alone 1,745 people died in drunk driving related accidents.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines a fatal traffic crash as being alcohol-related if either a driver or a nonoccupant (e.g., pedestrian) had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.01 grams per deciliter (g/dl) or greater in a police-reported traffic crash.(1)

Persons with a BAC of 0.10 g/dl or greater involved in fatal crashes are considered to be intoxicated. This is the legal limit of intoxication in most states.(1)

Drunk driving statistics continue to show that alcohol involvement remains the leading factor in motor vehicle deaths.(1)

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 08:52 AM
I would definetly have a hard time having a loaded gun in the same house as a child. But with no children? It's not even a debate, I know what I'd do.

I appreciate your stats Jim, but I question their source, the context and how they were obtained. Many times when a gun deters a criminal, there are no stats for that. People dont' report situations for varius reasons, and untill they do you won't see accurate statistics for what a gun can actually accomplish.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:00 AM
In Texas in 2002 2,301 people died from the use of firearms.

1,315 of those were suicides.

986 were either accidental or intentional excluding suicides.

In that same year in Texas alone 1,745 people died in drunk driving related accidents.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines a fatal traffic crash as being alcohol-related if either a driver or a nonoccupant (e.g., pedestrian) had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.01 grams per deciliter (g/dl) or greater in a police-reported traffic crash.(1)

Persons with a BAC of 0.10 g/dl or greater involved in fatal crashes are considered to be intoxicated. This is the legal limit of intoxication in most states.(1)

Drunk driving statistics continue to show that alcohol involvement remains the leading factor in motor vehicle deaths.(1)

I am glad you are against drunk driving, User, but what the fuck does that have to do with guns killing children???

2 wrongs do not make a right.

I have a gunm, it is locked in a gun safe, but if there was an intruder in the middle of the night, I would not have time to go into my closet and do the combination, and take the gun out and shoot the fucker.

So why bother?

90 % of all house burglaries happen when the people are not home, so the gun does you no good. In fact, they usually steal your gun too, so now you have just supplied a gun to a potential felon who might use your gun in a felony.
:rolleyes

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:01 AM
Manny, go talk to the police and let them give you their opinion on whether it is safer to have a loaded gun in your house.

Leave it to the people who know the real facts, ok?

At least do that for me.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:03 AM
Good for you.

That does not mean shit.

Do you have kids?

Are kids responsible?

Are Americans responsible?

Do you read the paper, listen to radio, watch tv news?

Those are the facts...they are not made up, and for you to site your own personal experience is irresponsible and nearsighted.

How is siting my own experience irresponsible and neasighted? That is a ridiculous statement. MY experiences are just as real as the info in your tables. How many guns that were properly locked up and cared for have killed people? There is a far greater risk to the average person to be killed in an auto accident than by a firearm. Don't even start to look at nonfatal statistics.

You can safetly own a firearm if you respect what responsibilities that brings.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Jim, my former roomate is a police officer. Guess what he had in our apartment?

I'm not going to go run out a gun. That would be reactionary, and the last thing I want to do is purchase a gun on an impulse. But honestly, the only thing thats stopped me from getting a concealed license is the mountain of paperwork. And I don't need a license for a weapon at home.

I've handled guns before, and I was around them as a child. I'm confident in my ability to safely handle one. I think the problem lies in people that don't take them seriously enough. As with anything else, if you don't handle it responsibly, it can turn into a very dangerous situation.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 09:09 AM
get a dog too... a dog will alert you before an intruder actually breaks in... then you will have time to unlock your gun and be ready!

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:10 AM
How is siting my own experience irresponsible and neasighted? That is a ridiculous statement. MY experiences are just as real as the info in your tables. How many guns that were properly locked up and cared for have killed people? There is a far greater risk to the average person to be killed in an auto accident than by a firearm. Don't even start to look at nonfatal statistics.

You can safetly own a firearm if you respect what responsibilities that brings.

see my above post.

What good does my gun do me if it is locked up in the middle of the night??

I have acquaintances that drive while drunk..does that mean that drunk driving is safe, because they have not had an accident? That is what I mean by your own stats are insignificant.
The facts are there are a 50 times great chance that YOUR gun will kill a fiend or family member than an intruder who is bent on doing you harm.

That is my point....understand?

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 09:12 AM
Manny, go talk to the police and let them give you their opinion on whether it is safer to have a loaded gun in your house.

At least do that for me.

sorry Jim, but I disagree...

bet that guy in Castroville that got airlifted to University Hospital last night wishes he would have had a loaded gun in his house so his family wouldn't have gotten wiped out...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041405castroville.kens.1d8219d1c.html

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Manny, all police have guns.

I am just saying , go ask them what you should do?

Get the facts from the experts not people that have guns and have not had an incident...that is all I am asking you to do, before you get one.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:14 AM
sorry Jim, but I disagree...

bet that guy in Castroville that got airlifted to University Hospital last night wishes he would have had a loaded gun in his house so his family wouldn't have gotten wiped out...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA041405castroville.kens.1d8219d1c.html

CC, for every one of those cases, I can give you 50 others that prove my point.

That is my point.

I go with the odds.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Manny, all police have guns.

I am just saying , go ask them what you should do?

Get the facts from the experts not people that have guns and have not had an incident...that is all I am asking you to do, before you get one.

police officers have accidents too.. should they not be allowed to carry guns?

any way you look at it... if you are responsible, a gun is a great thing to have.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
Jim I know what your saying and I respect it. But, I disagree in my case. John (former roomate) advocates having a gun in the home as long as you can safely handle it. I have confidence in my ability to do so.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:20 AM
police officers have accidents too.. should they not be allowed to carry guns?

any way you look at it... if you are responsible, a gun is a great thing to have.

operative word-responsible

Kids are NOT responsibe for the most part.

Look at the facts.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:21 AM

At least do that for me.

So then you're a hypocrite for owning a gun.

There are ways to keep a gun both safe and easily accessible. And you can also ask one of the people who have defended themselves with a gun. Now if you have a history of mental problems or instability then I don't recomend you getting one.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:21 AM
I agree completely on the kids part. I find it really hard to justify a loaded gun in the house with the kids in there.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Jim I know what your saying and I respect it. But, I disagree in my case. John (former roomate) advocates having a gun in the home as long as you can safely handle it. I have confidence in my ability to do so.

Ok, if you can handle it, that is ok by me.

I believe in your right to have a gun, but if any kid comes over for any reason...LOCK THE FUCKER UP. (the gun, not the kid) :)

Useruser666
operative word-responsible

Kids are NOT responsibe for the most part.

Look at the facts.

Point out where I said kids should have guns. Is Manny or Jekka a kid?

Clandestino
manny, have you thought about getting a dog too??? i'm curious...

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:23 AM
So then you're a hypocrite for owning a gun.

There are ways to keep a gun both safe and easily accessible. And you can also ask one of the people who have defended themselves with a gun. Now if you have a history or mental problems or instability then I don't recomend you getting one.

people with history of mental illness do not know they are mentally ill for the most part.

I am not a hypocrite, I lock my gun up.

If everyone did that, there would not be any kids dying, yes?

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 09:24 AM
people with history of mental illness do not know they are mentally ill for the most part.

who says manny wouldn't lock his gun up if there were kids around?

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Point out where I said kids should have guns. Is Manny or Jekka a kid?

User, they could have kids come over with their parents, they might have a niece or nephew come over...hell we had kids come over all the time when we were just married. I had the same gun then, but it was not locked up, it was on top shelf of closet. That is not safe enough.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:26 AM
who says manny wouldn't lock his gun up if there were kids around?

I am not saying that...but there are over 100,000 kids who died because some fucker did not lock their guns up.

Yes?

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:27 AM

Did I say anyone shouldn't lock their guns up?

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 09:29 AM
LOL!!!

manny, what are you going to do? we are curious in your decision.. user and jim are about to throw blows over your talk of gun ownership in your home! haha

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Did I say anyone shouldn't lock their guns up?

You did not say you and your dad had their guns locked up either.

Are they?

Have they always been locked up?

How long would it take you in the middle of the night to wake up, go and unlock your guns and protect yourself?

I promise you, if you had some fucker in your house standing over you in the middle of the night with a knife or gun on you, you would not be able to get to your gun, so why take the risk?

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 09:30 AM
Jim, I understand that there are frequent tragic accidents involving guns...just like there are accidents involving lawnmowers, electricity, ladders, household poisons, etc...

unfortunately, there are stupid irresponsible people in the world that create the conditions that lead to these accidents.

That does not mean that you or our government should be able to mandate that people should not have guns...

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM
Jim, I understand that there are frequent tragic accidents involving guns...just like there are accidents involving lawnmowers, electricity, ladders, household poisons, etc...

unfortunately, there are stupid irresponsible people in the world that create the conditions that lead to these accidents.

That does not mean that you or our government should be able to mandate that people should not have guns...

Where did I say we should not have guns????????

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:31 AM
I am not saying that...but there are over 100,000 kids who died because some fucker did not lock their guns up.

Yes?

What are you talking about? I never said not to keep the gun looked up. You can have a gun that is locked up and easy to get to. Did you know that? If a kid is going to put in the effort to my gun, then there is nothing anyone can do. I'm not advocating keep pistols under your pillow. You should never store a gun when it's loaded or with the amunition unless both are LOCKED AWAY.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:33 AM
Where did I say we should not have guns????????

You keep siting statistics and called me irresponsible for posting my experiences. You echo the point about kids and guns, yet no one here is saying they want to leave guns laying around kids.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:34 AM
manny, have you thought about getting a dog too??? i'm curious...
Yeah, but never really for protection. Just because I love dogs.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
What are you talking about? I never said not to keep the gun looked up. You can have a gun that is locked up and easy to get to. Did you know that? If a kid is going to put in the effort to my gun, then there is nothing anyone can do. I'm not advocating keep pistols under your pillow. You should never store a gun when it's loaded or with the amunition unless both are LOCKED AWAY.

Well, you need to make sure every gun owner locks up his guns.

In fact they should not even allow a person to possess guns unless they have a safe to lock the guns up.

Now that I would support legislation for.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:35 AM
LOL!!!

manny, what are you going to do? we are curious in your decision.. user and jim are about to throw blows over your talk of gun ownership in your home! haha
It has nothing to do with a gun. They are just fighting over SpursWoman in a different way.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:38 AM
You keep siting statistics and called me irresponsible for posting my experiences. You echo the point about kids and guns, yet no one here is saying they want to leave guns laying around kids.

It is responsible of me as a Forum friend of Manny's to give him stats on gun safety and to tell him to ask the police about a gun before any kneejerk response on his part takes place.

That is all I am doing and all of you are telling him to go get a gun and blow those fuckers away like Dirty Harry.

That is irresponsible.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
You did not say you and your dad had their guns locked up either.

Are they?

Have they always been locked up?

How long would it take you in the middle of the night to wake up, go and unlock your guns and protect yourself?

I promise you, if you had some fucker in your house standing over you in the middle of the night with a knife or gun on you, you would not be able to get to your gun, so why take the risk?

Less than 30 seconds from a dead sleep. IF I heard somebody outside my window probably less. You should check up on some of the latest stuff out there.

We also have always had a dog.

My dad had them locked up as well.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Less than 30 seconds from a dead sleep. IF I heard somebody outside my window probably less. You should check up on some of the latest stuff out there.

We also have always had a dog.

My dad had them locked up as well.

Well, for me, assuming that my hands would not be shaking like Don Knotts, it would be about 1 minute.

I have dogs too, but if I went to my safe every time they barked, I would never get any sleep.

:)

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:43 AM
It is responsible of me as a Forum friend of Manny's to give him stats on gun safety and to tell him to ask the police about a gun before any kneejerk response on his part takes place.

That is all I am doing and all of you are telling him to go get a gun and blow those fuckers away like Dirty Harry.

That is irresponsible.

See this happens a lot on forums. Somebody reads a bunch of posts and then associates them all together when responding to a single one. Let's get some things straight.

I never told anyone to get a gun.

I never said you shouldn't keep guns locked up.

I never said to shoot at anyone.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
maybe I am just lucky but I and my siblings grew up in a house that had loaded guns everywhere...but we were also taught from a very early age about gun safety and responsible use...I was already shooting under supervision before I was even in school..."playing" with a gun was absolutely out of the question...

I raised my kids the same way...I had loaded guns in the house...but my kids were raised knowing how to use guns safely...and I never had any problems...My kids KNEW where the guns were and KNEW they were loaded...

this might be wrong but I think that if the kid KNOWS that any gun he/she might find is loaded and dangerous then the risk of "accidents" is much less...

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
It has nothing to do with a gun. They are just fighting over SpursWoman in a different way.

alas, SW is no longer interested in me.

:depressed

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 09:46 AM
See this happens a lot on forums. Somebody reads a bunch of posts and then associates them all together when responding to a single one. Let's get some things straight.

I never told anyone to get a gun.

I never said you shouldn't keep guns locked up.

I never said to shoot at anyone.

I must have misinterpreted this. Sorry.

spurster
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Get an alarm. If it's an apartment complex, the residents should pressure the owner to install them. It's clear that this place is sitting ducks for burglars, and the owner needs to do something. Probably there is some kind of alarm that you can install in your apartment. Even if it only makes a big loud noise, that would enough to scare them away.

If you are serious about using a gun to defend yourself, you need to ask yourself whether you are ready to make the decision to shoot to kill or severely injure, and to make that decision under a lot of pressure. Sure, there are many clear-cut cases, but, for example, if Manny barges into his GF's apartment drunk, she might accidently shoot him.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I must have misinterpreted this. Sorry.

Cool.

And for anyone who has a gun or is looking to buy one.

* Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

* Know how to use the gun safely.
Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.

* Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
Just like other tools, guns need regular maintenance to remain operable. Regular cleaning and proper storage are a part of the gun's general upkeep. If there is any question concerning a gun's ability to function, a knowledgeable gunsmith should look at it.

* Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
Only BBs, pellets, cartridges or shells designed for a particular gun can be fired safely in that gun. Most guns have the ammunition type stamped on the barrel. Ammunition can be identified by information printed on the box and sometimes stamped on the cartridge. Do not shoot the gun unless you know you have the proper ammunition.

* Wear eye and ear protection as appropriate.
Guns are loud and the noise can cause hearing damage. They can also emit debris and hot gas that could cause eye injury. For these reasons, shooting glasses and hearing protectors should be worn by shooters and spectators.

* Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while shooting.
Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

* Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

* Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

* Cleaning
Regular cleaning is important in order for your gun to operate correctly and safely. Taking proper care of it will also maintain its value and extend its life. Your gun should be cleaned every time that it is used.

A gun brought out of prolonged storage should also be cleaned before shooting. Accumulated moisture and dirt, or solidified grease and oil, can prevent the gun from operating properly.

Before cleaning your gun, make absolutely sure that it is unloaded. The gun's action should be open during the cleaning process. Also, be sure that no ammunition is present in the cleaning area.

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Get an alarm. If it's an apartment complex, the residents should pressure the owner to install them. It's clear that this place is sitting ducks for burglars, and the owner needs to do something. Probably there is some kind of alarm that you can install in your apartment. Even if it only makes a big loud noise, that would enough to scare them away.

If you are serious about using a gun to defend yourself, you need to ask yourself whether you are ready to make the decision to shoot to kill or severely injure, and to make that decision under a lot of pressure. Sure, there are many clear-cut cases, but, for example, if Manny barges into his GF's apartment drunk, she might accidently shoot him.

good point.

If you aren't mentally prepared to pull the trigger when necessary then you shouldn't have a gun for self defense...

xcoriate
04-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Bah you don't need a gun. The rest of the world is fine without guns in every house? In fact there is in general less harm.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Bah you don't need a gun. The rest of the world is fine without guns in every house? In fact there is in general less harm.
Well, the rest of the world doesn't live in America.

xcoriate
04-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Well, the rest of the world doesn't live in America.

Your right. You shouldn't need to own a gun but perhaps given the circumstances and fucked up weapons laws... you need to think of yor safety though. Overall I think it is a problem in America but one you can't address personally.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 10:07 AM
Here Jim, I thought you might like this gun safety image.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/edu/homestudy/

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/edu/homestudy/ammo/figure_9.jpg

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/edu/homestudy/ammo/howgunfires.jpg

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Why does that condom have a gun?

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
:lmao !!!

xcoriate
04-14-2005, 10:12 AM
a protection metaphor?

jcrod
04-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Have to agree with Jim, but in this case Manny doesn't have any kids so I would get one if I were them.

Manny, if you do, i would go with a shotgun. No need to be a good aim, the pump action and size is very intimidating. Not for you, but for her when you're not around.

Hook Dem
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Well, you need to make sure every gun owner locks up his guns.

In fact they should not even allow a person to possess guns unless they have a safe to lock the guns up.

Now that I would support legislation for.
Jim, I am not attacking you but I have a license to carry a gun. I went through the process and training and believe it is very necessary to have this knowlege. Before I purchased my gun, I did like you suggested and talked to some policemen. I finally decided on a Glock 40 cal. and noticed that there is no safety on it. When I asked the policemen about that they responded that "a safety will get you killed". You do not have time in most cases to ask the crook to wait while you release the safety. By the same token, you do not have the time to open the safe either. As has been stated by Manny, you do not need to have a concealed handgun license in order to keep a handgun in your house. He also said he has not gotten a license because of the mountains of paperwork. Believe me, anyone thinking about keeping a handgun, should go through the training and safety procedures. It is well worth it. One thing in the training that stands out to me is the objective is to "stop" your target. Not "kill" them. Things can be done safely with the proper training. I have had mine for 4 years and the only thing to suffer harm is the practice target. I do not consider myself to be macho since I have one but I feel a lot safer!

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 10:22 AM
It's a common misconception that you don't have to have good aim with a shotgun. A common 12 gauge shotgun firing typical #71/2 shot will have a pellet spread radius of around 30" at 30 yards. Most shots taken in self defense inside of a home will be at a range of no greater than 10 yards MAX. At five yards the spread of the pellets will be around 5" in diameter. Yes it's true that pellet spread will make hitting a target easier, but it's still not a close your eyes and sqeeze the trigger shooting.

Practice shooting at a firing range BEFORE you are forced to use one in a life or death situation. I recomend taking safety courses or even taking a hunter education course from Texas Parks and Wildlife.

Sportcamper
04-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I re read this a couple times ....had a couple cups of coffee...And if I understand correctly....You saw the prowler but were too scared to even call the police, (Big Zak Not Available Either?)... :rolleyes

Young man, you are not ready to handle a fire arm....http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/yoda.jpg

The first thing you need to do is get to the gym & start a steady work out...8lb dumbbell curls will do...Get on a sensible diet....Get your self confidence up...

A nice leaded flashlight, some basic self defense & some self confidence would have handled the situation.... :smokin

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 10:54 AM
Why does that condom have a gun?

he is teaching how to how to properly shoot your load..

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 10:56 AM
:lmao

but of course that light saber won't do you a damn bit of good if you don't keep it loaded...

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 10:56 AM
honestly, i think if you fire off a couple rounds an intruder will haul ass.. they aren't there to kill people, mainly to steal shit.. they don't want to get shot at.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 11:01 AM
I re read this a couple times ....had a couple cups of coffee...And if I understand correctly....You saw the prowler but were too scared to even call the police, (Big Zak Not Available Either?)... :rolleyes
Not a day goes by where I am not disapointed in the reading comprehension abilites of some poster. Here, I'll even copy the part you apparently need a few more cups of coffee to understand.

Thinking it was one of Jekka's neighbors, we paid it no mind and simply went back to watching the movie.Where would you get anything about being scared of him? Ask anyone here who's seen me at a FSP basketball tournament and they'll tell you I'm not one to walk away from a confrintation. :lol

Young man, you are not ready to handle a fire arm....
Did I imply otherwise?

The first thing you need to do is get to the gym & start a steady work out...8lb dumbbell curls will do...Get on a sensible diet....Get your self confidence up...

:lmao You're right. The best way to protect my tiny girlfriend from a big bad rapist that may attack her while I'm not there is to boost my obviously lacking self confidence.

Where those Irish coffees you just had?

A nice leaded flashlight, some basic self defense & some self confidence would have handled the situation.... :smokinAs much as your Yoda posting ass would love to believe it, a flashlight is NOT a light saber and nobody here can go through Jedi training.

Where the hell do they find people like you?

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Keep your gun loaded with blanks?. :lol

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 11:04 AM

That may end up being one of the most classicly stupid posts of all time. Wow. He even busted out Yoda

bigzak25
04-14-2005, 11:05 AM
that sucks...glad all is well.

gun is extreme, but if you ever need it and don't have it, that's something you'll regret.

i say get a big gotdamn dog. or even a little muthafucka that can bark it's ass off...like dottie from Coming to America....

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 11:06 AM
It's hard to keep a big dog in an apartment. Plus, a big part of having a dog is that it can patrol around the outside of your home.

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 11:11 AM
It's hard to keep a big dog in an apartment. Plus, a big part of having a dog is that it can patrol around the outside of your home.

well, it would fit into manny's workout regime that he was advised he needed... he could take it for walks..

but a dog is bad ass... when i am not home my dog is never more than 2 feet from my girlfriend... she sits/sleeps with her back facing the door and if she hears anything outside she is up...ready to go...

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Better check your closets just to be safe. :lol

Sportcamper
04-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Manny- Did you not sit inside your girlfriend’s apartment while the neighbor’s house was being robbed? It sounds to me like you have a confidence problem...I am sorry if that upsets you...

Please feel free to bash me, I AM 1000 MILES AWAY... :rolleyes

But the guy robbed your neighbor blind, why you hid behind the drapes....
A gun won’t do you much good if you are too freighted to go outside & investigate...

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 11:32 AM
Manny- Did you not sit inside your girlfriend’s apartment while the neighbor’s house was being robbed? It sounds to me like you have a confidence problem...I am sorry if that upsets you...

A gun won’t do you much good if you are too freighted to go outside & investigate...

they weren't breaking into his place.. why go outside WITHOUT a gun and confront someone???

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 11:39 AM

A gun won’t do you much good if you are too freighted to go outside & investigate...com·pre·hen·sion http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/JPG/pron.jpg (https://secure.reference.com/premium/login.html?rd=2&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdictionary.reference.com%2Fsearch%3 Fq%3Dcomprehension) ( P ) Pronunciation Key (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html) (khttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/obreve.gifmhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/lprime.gifprhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ibreve.gif-hhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/ebreve.gifnhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/prime.gifshhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/AHD4/GIF/schwa.gifn)
n.

<LI type=a>The act or fact of grasping the meaning, nature, or importance of; understanding.
The knowledge that is acquired in this way.

Capacity to include.
Logic. The sum of meanings and corresponding implications inherent in a term.

Thinking it was one of Jekka's neighbors, we paid it no mind and simply went back to watching the movie.

Jekka
04-14-2005, 11:41 AM

Guns scare the shit out of me - I don't go anywhere near them, and believe me, if there was a loaded one in my apartment I wouldn't even want to know where it was - there is no chance that I would use it. Ever.

However, IF Manny chose to get one, I can't say I'd have too much of a problem with it. Like him, if there was a kid in the house, I would say no guns, period. But if a person knows how to use it - and knows to use it only in an absolutely necessary situation - I would feel a little more okay with it.

Really, it would only be necessary to bring one out if an intruder actually WERE in the apartment - with someone prowling around, like last night, a gun in the situation is only going to make everything seem worse and freak me out even more. I think there are cases for a gun, though. The father of one of my best friends in high school held an intruder at gunpoint once for half an hour in his home because 911 had put her mother on hold.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Where the hell do they find people like you?

In LA.

Sportcamper
04-14-2005, 11:45 AM
That’s the story you are going with today...

The reality is that you observed suspicious activity & you were too afraid to get involved...No you come in here posting like a tough guy because you know you should have done something then....Even it was just to report a prowler to the local police....

Jekka
04-14-2005, 11:47 AM

Manny doesn't have to bash you - I will.

Do you not understand that we didn't think it was an intruder? If I had known it was an intruder the police would have been on their way a whole lot sooner - and I don't advocate going out to investigate when you know someone is right there, because you never know what kind of weapons they have. If worse came to worse there's no point in having a fucking shootout over a DVD player and a VCR. And what exactly is "freighted"?

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 11:47 AM
That’s the story you are going with today...

The reality is that you observed suspicious activity & you were too afraid to get involved...No you come in here posting like a tough guy because you know you should have done something then....Even it was just to report a prowler to the local police....

Tonight, while Jessica and I were watching a movie, we heard a noise outside of her window and in the bushes. She thought it was a cat, but I thought it was somebody who had stumbled into the bushes. I looked out the window to see a hispanic man standing around.

A few minutes later we hear a few more crashes in the hallway adjecent to her apartment.

You're right though. Apartments are usually really quiet places were nobody stands outside smoking, EVER.

Don't know what the hell I was thinking. Oh wait, I must have been scared of a smaller man that was doing nothing overtly suspicous due to my lack of self confidence

Clandestino
04-14-2005, 11:49 AM

Do you not understand that we didn't think it was an intruder? If I had known it was an intruder the police would have been on their way a whole lot sooner - and I don't advocate going out to investigate when you know someone is right there, because you never know what kind of weapons they have. If worse came to worse there's no point in having a fucking shootout over a DVD player and a VCR. And what exactly is "freighted"?

LOL!!! i can see it on WOAI NOW...

Shootout Over a DVD Player and VCR... story at 10!

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 11:52 AM
You're right though. Apartments are usually really quiet places were nobody stands outside smoking, EVER.

Don't know what the hell I was thinking. Oh wait, I must have been scared of a smaller man that was doing nothing overtly suspicous due to my lack of self confidence

They must have knopw the people on the 3rd floor.

How else did they know they were not home?

I say it was an inside job.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 11:55 AM

She makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

jcrod
04-14-2005, 11:56 AM
Hey I'm not jumping in here saying SportsCamper is right. But if you hear someone rumbling around in bushes and then some crashes. It's probably not a neighbor, unless you hear crashes and rumbling in the bushes all the time at night.

At the sametime I don't think you should've confornted them, but you could've made sure one way or another it was in fact the neighbor, at least thats what I would've done and hope my neighbor would do the same.

Spurminator
04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
I will always support the right to have guns for protection, and I have little sympathy for people who are too stupid to keep their guns out of the reach of their children.

That said, I don't think I'll ever own a firearm... I've thought about situations where I might use one, and I don't think I'm prepared for the consequences. For example, if I shot a burglar, I would live in almost constant fear of retaliation. Not just the night of the break-in, but all subsequent nights.

I would prefer to have a stunner/tazer of some kind, especially for my wife. A gun just wouldn't make me feel any safer.

Jekka
04-14-2005, 11:57 AM
They must have knopw the people on the 3rd floor.

How else did they know they were not home?

I say it was an inside job.

I didn't even think about it until this morning, but there's been a lot of construction and remodeling going on in my apartments the last couple of weeks. It would have been really easy for the guy to get scoped out during the day. I'm actually glad I put the tarp up on my porch so people couldn't see the cats - they would have actually had to go onto my porch to see in my apartment.

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey I'm not jumping in here saying SportsCamper is right. But if you hear someone rumbling around in bushes and then some crashes. It's probably not a neighbor, unless you hear crashes and rumbling in the bushes all the time at night.

At the sametime I don't think you should've confornted them, but you could've made sure one way or another it was in fact the neighbor, at least thats what I would've done and hope my neighbor would do the same.The apartments are very noisy and people are always outside walking smoking. In fact, most apartments I've lived in have been the exact same way. Places that house a lot of college students don't tend to be the quietest of places.

GoldToe
04-14-2005, 12:06 PM
Where is a nosey neighbor when you need one?

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
You should probably get the phone numbers of the people who live in the units near you. If something like would happen again, you could call their apartment and see if anyone answers.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 12:18 PM
I didn't even think about it until this morning, but there's been a lot of construction and remodeling going on in my apartments the last couple of weeks. It would have been really easy for the guy to get scoped out during the day. I'm actually glad I put the tarp up on my porch so people couldn't see the cats - they would have actually had to go onto my porch to see in my apartment.

It was the workers, no doubt about it.
This happens all the time here, when a home is next to other homes being built. They watch your house and know exactly when you are gone.

The bastards.

bigzak25
04-14-2005, 12:35 PM
a megaphone would be something good to have too in cases such as this one...

you could just open the door or window and say "the police are on their way. get out of the bushes you bastards"

i think they would run.

SequSpur
04-14-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.southparkstudios.com/img/content/characters/7a.gif

mmmm... guns are bad... mkay..... If you have guns.... ur.... bad .... mkay...

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 12:55 PM
Jessica should have flashed her breasts at them, they would have stopped in their tracks and Manny could have called the police while they were staring at Jessica's boobs.

Works every time.

SequSpur
04-14-2005, 12:57 PM
or Manny could've showed them his breasts.........

LMAO.

JK..

:lol

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
or Manny could've showed them his breasts.........

LMAO.

JK..

:lol

*shudder*

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 01:15 PM

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Manny wasn't wearing a bra? What a slut!

desflood
04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Guns scare the shit out of me - I don't go anywhere near them, and believe me, if there was a loaded one in my apartment I wouldn't even want to know where it was - there is no chance that I would use it. Ever.

However, IF Manny chose to get one, I can't say I'd have too much of a problem with it. Like him, if there was a kid in the house, I would say no guns, period. But if a person knows how to use it - and knows to use it only in an absolutely necessary situation - I would feel a little more okay with it.

Really, it would only be necessary to bring one out if an intruder actually WERE in the apartment - with someone prowling around, like last night, a gun in the situation is only going to make everything seem worse and freak me out even more. I think there are cases for a gun, though. The father of one of my best friends in high school held an intruder at gunpoint once for half an hour in his home because 911 had put her mother on hold.
Guns aren't scary if you know how to use them properly. But do you really mean ever? Like, if it came down to somebody shooting you if you didn't shoot him first, you wouldn't do it?

samikeyp
04-14-2005, 01:25 PM
She's fine. For what it's worth I'm here with her a lot of the time, but still.

Damn, I was hoping she would be safe! :lol

j/k bro, seriously..glad to hear you are both ok.

Jekka
04-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Guns aren't scary if you know how to use them properly. But do you really mean ever? Like, if it came down to somebody shooting you if you didn't shoot him first, you wouldn't do it?

Anyone who has seen my aim wouldn't have asked that.

In all seriousness though, put me up against someone else with a gun and I really don't have a chance regardless. There's no point - I'd miss and then they could shoot me - or if they didn't know where I was, I'd shoot, miss, and then they'd know where I was and could get me then.

desflood
04-14-2005, 01:33 PM
People who know you aren't likely to break into your place! They wouldn't know you from Eve, and wouldn't know about your aim. They'd hear the shot, think, "Oh man, I broke into the wrong place tonight," and run like hell. Burglers prefer homes in which they won't get shot at, regardless if they have a gun or not.

bigzak25
04-14-2005, 01:37 PM
just go buy an old nintendo duck hunt game and get good....

Jekka
04-14-2005, 01:43 PM
People who know you aren't likely to break into your place! They wouldn't know you from Eve, and wouldn't know about your aim. They'd hear the shot, think, "Oh man, I broke into the wrong place tonight," and run like hell. Burglers prefer homes in which they won't get shot at, regardless if they have a gun or not.

But you fire a gun anywhere and there's a small chance of hitting someone - especially in an apartment complex where everything is so close together. I would rather not take chances on hurting anyone else. There are just too many things that could go wrong with guns to make me ever want to have or use one. I doubt that will change.

Jekka
04-14-2005, 01:46 PM
just go buy an old nintendo duck hunt game and get good....

Oh man, I always SUCKED at that game - unless I cheated and put the gun right up against the screen. :angel

tlongII
04-14-2005, 01:49 PM
Manny, you chicken-shit little pussy! Git out there and confront the summbitches!

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Maybe you should consider buying a starters pistol. Some look real enough, and they will make a good bang. They won't hurt anyone, and if someone takes it from you it can't hurt you either.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 01:54 PM
you're right about the dangers of shooting through walls...thats why the first two rounds in the stack of my P12 is Glazer safety slugs...theoretically they should break apart going through a wall...after that if they are still standing it's Black Talons all the rest of the way down...

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Man CC, it's number 6 shot, then 000 buckshot and the last one is a slugger. :lol

CavsSuperFan
04-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Perhaps I am wrong but “Black Talons” have not been available for 10 years....

SpursWoman
04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
As long as my children live with me, no guns in my house. Period. Sure you can teach them about safety or lock them away...I'm sure that's a great comfort to the parents of children who got into them anyway....all it takes is once.

I'm not a parent that declares Sainthood on their children...they don't always do what I tell them to do or not do, and that's just not a risk I'm willing to take. I have a hard enough time trying to keep them from stabbing each other with kitchen knives.

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 02:03 PM
http://store1.yimg.com/I/airsoftgunroom_1841_7451284

This would scare the shit out of them Manny, but is relatively harmless unless you shoot your eye out.

My son and I shoot each other with these, they hurt a little, but not as bad as BB guns, which is what we used to shoot each other with when I was a kid.

:).

Jimcs50
04-14-2005, 02:04 PM
As long as my children live with me, no guns in my house. Period. Sure you can teach them about safety or lock them away...I'm sure that's a great comfort to the parents of children who got into them anyway....all it takes is once.

I'm not a parent that declares Sainthood on their children...they don't always do what I tell them to do or not do, and that's just not a risk I'm willing to take. I have a hard enough time trying to keep them from stabbing each other with kitchen knives.

Checkmate, User.

desflood
04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
But you fire a gun anywhere and there's a small chance of hitting someone - especially in an apartment complex where everything is so close together. I would rather not take chances on hurting anyone else. There are just too many things that could go wrong with guns to make me ever want to have or use one. I doubt that will change.
Really? You'd rather die than take a chance?
Get a little BB pistol. Those things hurt enough to surprise someone into letting you get away and they're small enough to use easily. If you accidentally hit the guy in the eye, hey, bonus for you. :lol

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Perhaps I am wrong but “Black Talons” have not been available for 10 years....

You are correct JimBob...Winchester folded under pressure and pulled them from the market but they aren't illegal...they still make basically the same bullet with just minor modifications (called the XST) Hydrashocks and golddots work equally well...

CavsSuperFan
04-14-2005, 02:12 PM
uhmmmm "Too Hip Bob".... :smokin

I remember the Democrat Senator saying that "the bullet was designed to splat somebody’s guts out"....

Then sales went through the roof...The dealers could not keep them in stock.... :lol

MannyIsGod
04-14-2005, 02:16 PM
Really? You'd rather die than take a chance?
Get a little BB pistol. Those things hurt enough to surprise someone into letting you get away and they're small enough to use easily. If you accidentally hit the guy in the eye, hey, bonus for you. :lol
I know Jess, and I know what she's saying sounds odd to you, but she means it.

desflood
04-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I believe it. Takes all kinds of people, as the saying goes!

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 02:25 PM
uhmmmm "Too Hip Bob".... :smokin

I remember the Democrat Senator saying that "the bullet was designed to splat somebody’s guts out"....

Then sales went through the roof...The dealers could not keep them in stock.... :lol

actually it was the AMA lobby that got them talking about it...it was a 6 petal hollowpoint that had sharp points on the petals...a couple of doctors cut their rubber gloves on the points working on gunshot victims and with the AIDS scare tried to get them banned...

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Load some of those dragon fire shells in your shotgun.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 02:51 PM
you mean Dragon 's breath? LMAO...well...I guess after you burn the house down you won't have to worry about robbers...:lmao

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 02:52 PM
you mean Dragon 's breath? LMAO...well...I guess after you burn the house down you won't have to worry about robbers...:lmao

Well I was going for gusto! :p When cops come, you can easily point out the intruder as the guy who's on fire. :lol

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I've never seen one fired but it's supposed to be pretty impressive, especially at night...

Brodels
04-14-2005, 04:27 PM
I have a rifle I use for hunting, but it's stored away. I'm not worried about anyone getting at it, especially since we don't have kids, but I think it would take me too long to find it and load it in the dark if there ever was a problem. I'm O.K. with having it in the house, but I don't like to leave it out where I can get to it quickly, and that kind of defeats the purpose of having it for protection.

I do, believe it or not, sleep with a good-sized double-edge hatchet next to my bed. It's heavy enough that if any fucked with me I could destroy them. It doesn't do a great job against another person if they have a gun, but it's a pretty effective weapon.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 04:32 PM
You know there is such a thing as safe with a lighted key pad. You can put in a closet and have it bolted to the floor. To remove it, a crook would need a jack hammer. You walk up it touch the keypad and it lights up. Push your 5 digit combo in and the safe opens. It takes less than 30 seconds to get to your gun. It is pretty hard to steal, and would be easy to find in the dark. They have smaller versions for handguns that can fit inside night stand drawers or be bolted to the floor under the bed.

desflood
04-14-2005, 04:36 PM
You know there is such a thing as safe with a lighted key pad. You can put in a closet and have it bolted to the floor. To remove it, a crook would need a jack hammer. You walk up it touch the keypad and it lights up. Push your 5 digit combo in and the safe opens. It takes less than 30 seconds to get to your gun. It is pretty hard to steal, and would be easy to find in the dark. They have smaller versions for handguns that can fit inside night stand drawers or be bolted to the floor under the bed.
Hey, neat. We've been thinking about getting a handgun, due to the increase of home invasions, but not without a safe, due to the kids. Probably costs an arm and a leg though.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 04:39 PM
~$100 bucks for unlit one. Check Nagels on San Pedro or go to one of the Saxet Gun shows.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Hey, neat. We've been thinking about getting a handgun, due to the increase of home invasions, but not without a safe, due to the kids. Probably costs an arm and a leg though.

good handguns can get expensive but are worth the cost in quality and reliability. If you are in the market I highly recommend you look at this pistol...it's reliable,has good balance, drives nails, has a huge capacity mag for a .45 and feels good in a big hand...yet it's not really big...

http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=8

tlongII
04-14-2005, 04:53 PM
All I have is a stun gun, but it works.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Sorry CC, I wouldn't recomend a 45 cal to a new shooter. I'd say go with 9mm, berreta, Sig, or Glock if you have the cash. A 45 can be hard to shoot with if you're just learning, and kinda big for a lady if she has small hands.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry CC, I wouldn't recomend a 45 cal to a new shooter. I'd say go with 9mm, berreta, Sig, or Glock if you have the cash. A 45 can be hard to shoot with if you're just learning, and kinda big for a lady if she has small hands.

I totally agree about the lady part, especially the P12 because it has a double stack magazine...but I have long fingers ang it feels great in my hand...They can practice with lower power wadcutters to get used to shooting it before loading it with the P+ bad boy stuff...

As to the 45 vs. the 9mm...there are serious issues with the stopping power of the 9's...not that I want to get shot with one but there is just no comparison with that big ol 45...I wouldn't recommend anyone go above that for personal protection (44 mag, etc.) recoil is just way too much for quick reaquisition of target...

tlongII
04-14-2005, 05:03 PM
I totally agree about the lady part, especially the P12 because it has a double stack magazine...but I have long fingers ang it feels great in my hand...They can practice with lower power wadcutters to get used to shooting it before loading it with the P+ bad boy stuff...

As to the 45 vs. the 9mm...there are serious issues with the stopping power of the 9's...not that I want to get shot with one but there is just no comparison with that big ol 45...I wouldn't recommend anyone go above that for personal protection (44 mag, etc.) recoil is just way too much for quick reaquisition of target...

Why do you like the feel of tubular objects in your hand so much CC?

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm sure it has something to do with sex TLong...kinda the same reason you like tubular objects in your mouth...:lol

Slo spurs fan
04-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Manny buy a TANK as your gift to Jessica when you will marry your woman! ;)

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 05:17 PM

I like the SW .357 magnum revolver. With the longer barrel. It looks big, shoots smoothly, and has tremendous stopping power. I know it's not an automatic, but it's easy to take care of and you know when it's loaded or not.

Side note CC, have you seen the mini sluggers for 12 gauge shotguns? They have less powder so they are much shorter. You can pack like 6 shots in the space of three regular 2 3/4" shells. Won't go through as much stuff since they have less powder.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2005, 05:22 PM
I like the SW .357 magnum revolver. With the longer barrel. It looks big, shoots smoothly, and has tremendous stopping power. I know it's not an automatic, but it's easy to take care of and you know when it's loaded or not.

Side note CC, have you seen the mini sluggers for 12 gauge shotguns? They have less powder so they are much shorter. You can pack like 6 shots in the space of three regular 2 3/4" shells. Won't go through as much stuff since they have less powder.

yeah...the swat guys love em because they can carry like 20 rounds in the magazine...some guns don't like running them though...especially gas operated ones...

SpursWoman
04-14-2005, 06:13 PM
I like the {fill in the blank}. With the longer barrel. It looks big, shoots smoothly, and has tremendous stopping power. I know it's not an automatic, but it's easy to take care of and you know when it's loaded or not.

:cooldevil

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 06:24 PM
:cooldevil

So you sure about no handguns in the house?

Zombie Terri Schiavo
04-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I wish someone used a gun on me, instead of starving me to death.

T Park
04-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I will always support the right to have guns for protection, and I have little sympathy for people who are too stupid to keep their guns out of the reach of their children.

That said, I don't think I'll ever own a firearm... I've thought about situations where I might use one, and I don't think I'm prepared for the consequences. For example, if I shot a burglar, I would live in almost constant fear of retaliation. Not just the night of the break-in, but all subsequent nights.

I would prefer to have a stunner/tazer of some kind, especially for my wife. A gun just wouldn't make me feel any safer.

Fantastic post as usual Spurm.

My exact feelings.

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Uh that zombie thing is disturbing,

SpursWoman
04-14-2005, 07:12 PM
I have little sympathy for people who are too stupid to keep their guns out of the reach of their children.

Spoken like someone who never has had to smack the hands of little people that won't stay out of their shit. :lol

Although, I've been pretty successful keeping them out of the locked box. :nerd

SpursWoman
04-14-2005, 07:19 PM
So you sure about no handguns in the house?

http://www.boomspeed.com/sweetc/ynotworthy.gif

Jekka
04-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Spoken like someone who never has had to smack the hands of little people that won't stay out of their shit. :lol

Although, I've been pretty successful keeping them out of the locked box. :nerd

Hmmmmm.... someone has a goody chest. :tu :tu :lol

Useruser666
04-14-2005, 09:42 PM
Hmmmmm.... someone has a goody chest. :tu :tu :lol

Oh, you meant that in a non-anatomical way! :lol

ZStomp
04-14-2005, 09:53 PM

Fast forward 30 minutes later, and we see a spotlight on the window for a minute. We wonder what it is and then I hear a helicopter circling. I call SAPD to find out that there has been a break in on a third floor apartment. The third floor apartment right above Jessica.

What we heard was the a potted plant falling from the balcony above while they were climbing up to the apartment. The man I saw was a lookout for the break in. And the crashes in the hallway we heard were them running after they got a VCR and a DVD player.

I gave the description (a lot of good it will do, it narrows it down to a few hundred thousand men in SA) to the police, and spoke to the guy who lived in the apartment. Nice guy, I'd spoken to him a few times before.

But the thing is now, Jess lives on the first floor. What the hell is to stop the same fuckers from trying something here?

I have two guns at my place. Ready and loaded.

ZStomp
04-14-2005, 10:02 PM

At least do that for me.

Manny doesn't need to talk to police. He's a smart guy and can come up with an answer all by himself.

bigzak25
04-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Woman beats off burglar with gnome (http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/04/15/britain.gnome.ap/)

LONDON, England (AP) -- A grandmother stopped an intruder from entering her home by lobbing a heavy garden gnome at him, police said Friday.

Jean Collop was woken early on Tuesday morning by the sound of an intruder on the roof of her home in Wadebridge, southwest England.

"I grabbed the first thing that came to hand -- one of my garden gnomes -- and hurled it at him, and hit him," she recalled.

"He lay there and I began to scream. I went back into the kitchen and found a rolling pin in case he came down. I didn't want to break another gnome."

A neighbor alerted police who arrived shortly afterward and arrested the intruder.

He added: "Our usual advice would be not to get involved, but to contact the police straight away," said a spokesman for the Devon and Cornwall Police.

"We do appreciate that in the heat of the moment people react to that situation, and if it results in a happy outcome that's great."
--------------------------------------------------------------

screw the gun man, get one of these....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00028I1Q0.01-A1G29CW22J5UU0._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

SpursWoman
04-15-2005, 02:24 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Useruser666
04-15-2005, 02:36 PM
I expected a different story with the title, "Woman beats off burglar with gnome."