PDA

View Full Version : Hoopsworld: Cuban Making No Predictions

duncan228
10-06-2009, 03:08 PM
It's Hoopsworld, but it has quotes.

Cuban Making No Predictions (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13974#)

The Dallas Mavericks are a team that's hard to envision without actually seeing some games take place. They have only one true center on the roster in Erick Dampier, and they're going to run a lot of small ball with Shawn Marion at the four. Marion, though, is capable of doing so many things well, that even when they're smaller the Mavs will cause all kinds of match-up problems for the opposition. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been surprised by Marion's versatility, even after seeing him run against the Mavs for so many years.

"Matrix is just so much more athletic and so much more flexible offensive and defensively than anyone we've had," Cuban tells HOOPSWORLD. "I didn't even know he had a post-up game, but in practice they've been posting him up. Obviously, we know with him and Josh Howard out there, J-Kidd, we have the ability to switch so many different positions, and all we've been working on is defense. I'll be really interested to see defensively what we do."

Actually, the Mavericks have gotten bigger in some ways, with Josh Howard now switching over to the shooting guard position and Marion starting at the three. Cuban is quick to point out that the West is smaller overall, with Yao Ming (injury) and Shaquille O'Neal (traded to Cleveland) both out of the picture.

"There aren't a lot of teams in the Western Conference that have true shot-blockers, especially with Yao out," says Cuban. "We're not really so small, and we're pretty athletic and it's going to be hard for teams to match up. Then you bring Drew off the bench, of Damp, depending on the match-up, Tim Thomas can play the five and Dirk at the four, and all of a sudden we can move pretty well and shoot pretty well. When Roddy (Beaubois) gets to the point where he can have some playing time, I think he makes us even tougher. He's so long and so tall that he'll be able to guard multiple positions, too."

Cuban is never shy about expressing his opinion, but when it comes to predicting where his new-look Mavericks could finish when the dust settles on the 2009-10 season, even their owner is reluctant to guess.

"We'll find out. I'm not going to make any predictions. It's hard to say. How old is Derrick Fisher now? He's older than Jason Kidd. I think it's really going to be about who stays the healthiest more than anything else, and how quickly we can learn to play together. The x-factor for us in beating those teams is our defense. I'll tell you the stat of the day that I saw somewhere. We were 17th in points allowed last season, but we were top of the league in team's free throw percentage against us. If teams had just shot their average we would have been ranked 11th in the league. So maybe this year they'll shoot under their average and we'll be ahead of the curve."

This last was said in a half-joking kind of way, but Cuban is certainly right about defense being the x-factor for Dallas. As much as anything else, head coach Rick Carlisle points to defense as the way the Mavericks will get back to the elite level they enjoyed in 2006, when they advanced to the NBA Finals.

Ditty
10-06-2009, 03:30 PM
I dont see nothing about the mavs winning the finals here

Basketballgirl25
10-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I dont see nothing about the mavs winning the finals here

that's because Mavs aren't winning the finals,:toast

duncan228
10-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Cuban: Current Mavs better than '06 Finals squad (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Cuban-Current-Mavs-better-than-06-Finals-squad?urn=nba,194858)
By J.E. Skeets

Want a bold statement necklace? Check out this chunky twisted-silver-luxe-necklace (http://www.splendicity.com/articles/heavy-metal-jewelry-from-paris-fashion-week/).

Want just a bold statement? Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban believes his team is as good — nay, better — than the one that went to the NBA Finals in 2006.

The Dallas Observer (http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/sportatorium/2009/10/mark_cuban_super_bowl_or_bust.php) and Dallas Basketball (http://www.dallasbasketball.com/fullColumn.php?id=2107)spill Cuban's blue and green Kool Aid:

"The feeling and the buzz in our locker room is off the charts, literally the best it's been in a good five years," Cuban told Richie Whitt and Newy Scruggs on 105.3 The Fan (http://www.1053thefan.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=4071006)in Dallas Tuesday morning. (Note: Mavericks talk starts about a quarter of the way in.)

"Every guy here that was a part of that Finals run thinks we have a much better team. It's not even close. If you compare rosters we're a far better team than that Finals team. We're deeper. More athletic. Defensively and offensively we have more flexibility. This year it's like 'Oh my goodness.' Guys are fired up. It's a whole different feeling. I'm excited."

He wasn't kidding.

"Trust me, Mavs fans," Cuban warns at the end of the interview. "If we stay healthy, this is a good, good, team. I never make predictions. But our top 12 guys are off-the-charts compared to where we've been in the past."

While I don't doubt this year's Mavs are more talented (on paper, at least) than the '06 version — quickly, '09-10 team: Dirk, Josh Howard, Terry, Kidd, Marion, Gooden, Quinton Ross, JJ Barea, Dampier vs. '06 Finals team: Dirk, Josh, JET, Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels, Devin Harris, Diop, Van Horn — Cuban forgets to mention that the rest of Western Conference has gotten better over the years too. Much, much better.

In '06 it was the Spurs, Suns and Mavs. That's basically it.

Today, it's the Lakers, Spurs, Nuggets, Jazz, Blazers, Rockets, Hornets, Mavs and, well, maybe the Suns.

Has Dallas done enough to contend for the title once again? I'm not convinced. But what do you think?

Basketballgirl25
10-08-2009, 03:56 PM
whatever Cuban is drinking I want some. Mavs are good this year, but I still think Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Cavs, and Celtics will be better then them

Rogue
10-08-2009, 03:59 PM
whatever Cuban is drinking I want some. Mavs are good this year, but I still think Lakers, Spurs, Magic, Cavs, and Celtics will be better then them
?donde es los Nets?

Basketballgirl25
10-08-2009, 04:02 PM
?donde es los Nets?

Yeah, Nets. We got a bright future with our young core.:toast

Muser
10-09-2009, 05:42 AM
With the addition of Marion i'd say they are on par with the 06 squad.

Basketballgirl25
10-09-2009, 06:50 AM
LOL Devin Harris isn't young no more and unfortunately Devin is the only guy to build around, especially after the lost Carter. God knows how old Yi really is even though Yi himself claims he was born in 1987. Brook Lopez has the most potential on that team but I doubt such a core of him and Devin is good enough to escalate the Nets a bit higher than where they fisnished last season, especially considering Carter's departure. Lee is simply overrated, I bet he won't do shit in Jersey without DH drawing defense off his face.

In comparison, Knicks seem to have a brighter future than Nets do IMHO. Lee has already shown kinda dominate power in rebounding and he is still on a path of spiraling rising. Nate seems too undersized for NBA but we did saw what a good job he's done since joining this league. Others like Duhon are also healthy stocks that may pretty well pay the heck off in the very near future. It's pretty easy to estimate how awesome the Knicks are going to be in seasons to come, especially considering Lebron is almost guaranteed to be a new yorker after 2010 summer.

Nate is good for the Knicks and Lee is good as well, but will they be Knicks with Lebron? I heard they might not and Lebron isn't guaranteed to be a new yorker after 2010 summer, that's just what people want to think. All Rumors and you said Devin Harris isn't young, well then I hope you don't think Chris Duhon is young because he is older then Devin. And we have Devin and Brook to build around. We don't know how Lee will do yet, but if he does good in NJ awesome. Then we got CDR and Terrance(spelling?) Williams who hopefully with do well. Out of all those young player Yi is prob the biggest question, but if he gets to where he was headed before he broke his pinky he could be good

Rogue
10-09-2009, 06:56 AM
En serio, Yi es no joven como que el reclamo.

Rogue
10-09-2009, 07:01 AM
With the addition of Marion i'd say they are on par with the 06 squad.
?Significas que los Mavs eran aun no bueno suficiente que ganar la copa?

Culburn369
10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
that's because Mavs aren't winning the finals,:toast

I'd be satisfied if they just went back-to-back on your puny asses.

tee, hee.

Agloco
10-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Cubes is being quiet because he knows better. Even he's capable of seeing reality from time to time.....

Basketballgirl25
10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd be satisfied if they just went back-to-back on your puny asses.

tee, hee.

so you would be satisfied if they lost as well:toast

Mr.ChugDynasty
10-09-2009, 06:14 PM
so you would be satisfied if they lost as well:toast

He's a Laker fan...
Really,will you pass fourth grade before posting here again please?

Basketballgirl25
10-09-2009, 07:36 PM
He's a Laker fan...
Really,will you pass fourth grade before posting here again please?

I know he is a Laker Fan, and I did pass fourth grade:toast

dallaskd
10-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Roddy and Marion looked really good tonight. Its preseason, but still..