PDA

View Full Version : Dillemma...

phxspurfan
10-06-2009, 03:21 PM
So the boss wants to send me to South Carolina for 3 months during Q2 '10. Which means, among other things, I won't be able to watch my Spurs LP games since they'll be set to my home cable network.

I do have the difficult choice of whether or not to accept this tour of duty, and I'm thinking of declining it. Just the thought of watching choppy/buffery games over the internets or *shudder* missing games because I can't DVR them really sucks.

South Carolina, Myrtle Beach, Golf...they'll all still be there in a few years. The Spurs won't. Agree?!

duncan228
10-06-2009, 03:24 PM
You get LP Broadband with your TV package, you should be able to watch the games on line no matter where you are.

HarlemHeat37
10-06-2009, 03:25 PM
What are the pros/cons of accepting the job, other than the Spurs-related shit?..

DPG21920
10-06-2009, 03:27 PM
The quality of LP online is actually pretty damn good. But never, and I mean never should the Spurs dictate anything in your career.

Career first............................................. ...............................Spurs

Shifty
10-06-2009, 03:31 PM
The quality of LP online is actually pretty damn good. But never, and I mean never should the Spurs dictate anything in your career.

Career first............................................. ...............................Spurs

Blasphemy!

Seriously, he is right. No way you should make this kind of decisions based on sports addiction.

phxspurfan
10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
You get LP Broadband with your TV package, you should be able to watch the games on line no matter where you are.

Yeah I got that $20 online LP package at the end of last year and didn't like the quality...it was always freezing on me at the worst times. I like simple TV and the ability to record in HD and save the game on the hard drive for later.

What are the pros/cons of accepting the job, other than the Spurs-related shit?..

Pros: Exposure to another business group, high priority task, Paid vacation outside of work basically (rental car, hotel, meals, a couple trips back home are allowed)

Cons: Missing out on life back home. Family, activities, home. Watching the Spurs games at convenient times in HD (recorded on DVR). School (I'm in a master's degree program and will have to either take courses online if theyre available or just suspend my education for 1-2 semesters). Oh and I'll miss snowboarding season which I wait for all year.

Obviously if I were to choose between my job and being a dedicated Spurs fan I'd take the job. But this isn't like that. I'd have plenty of high visibility work to do here if I didn't take the assignment. I don't have a gun to my head.

admiralsnackbar
10-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Take the job and get a slingbox and a slingcatcher (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/products).

phxspurfan
10-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Take the job and get a slingbox and a slingcatcher (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/products).

dipset...do these things work? I'm gonna have to check that out.

Bukefal
10-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Come on man,you should just go. You will stay up to date to the Spurs, and if not, so what its not that bad that you should give your trip up. The spurs will be there too :toast

ElNono
10-06-2009, 04:05 PM
I second the slingbox & slingcatcher combo. You can also use a laptop instead of the slingcatcher.
You even get the benefit of controlling your DVR remotely!!!
Just make sure you have a good broadband connection on both ends.

phxspurfan
10-06-2009, 04:10 PM
I second the slingbox & slingcatcher combo. You can also use a laptop instead of the slingcatcher.
You even get the benefit of controlling your DVR remotely!!!
Just make sure you have a good broadband connection on both ends.

Yeah that was a nice suggestion. I'll probably order one to check it out or just call them and ask if they support my DVR.

Darkwaters
10-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Slingbox.

Problem solved.

iManu
10-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Kori. You can close the thread, now. :)

DJB
10-06-2009, 05:34 PM

That's what I was going to say. And yes they work great. :toast

SsKSpurs21
10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
only downside to slingbox is the tv that slingbox is connected to, noone can change the channel. if someone changes the channel at home, it will change on your laptop. if you got a tv that noone will touch, then that should solve your problem.

phxspurfan
10-06-2009, 07:11 PM
only downside to slingbox is the tv that slingbox is connected to, noone can change the channel. if someone changes the channel at home, it will change on your laptop. if you got a tv that noone will touch, then that should solve your problem.

Really? That's good to know.

4down
10-06-2009, 08:37 PM
League Pass broadband - agree