PDA

View Full Version : Your Final Pocket Guide To Summer Of '10

duncan228
10-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Your Final Pocket Guide to Summer of '10 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-yourfinalpocketguide&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

The season of 2009-10 is nearly upon us. And I, for one, really don't want to spend any more of my precious time on this planet worrying about next summer's free agency. Let's seize the day and enjoy what's before us! So, in the interest of settling 2010 once and for all—and setting off a movement that I doubt I'll be able to follow through on—here's my quick, dirty, and possibly totally incorrect guide to what teams can expect next summer. File it away in your pants pocket and go about your business like it was any other season.

Atlanta Hawks: They need to keep Joe Johnson, and they will, because he's not that high up on anyone's shopping list, he fits perfectly there, and the entire organization is still embroiled in a court battle over his signing.

Boston Celtics: Your two trains passing in the night are Ray Allen, who makes a ton, is aging, but may still be perfectly deadly shooting 'til the end of time, and Rajon Rondo, raw and possibly nuts but a PG capable of great things. One will be offered too much, the other too little. Someone might walk.

Charlotte Bobcats: If they don't keep Raymond Felton, there might be some change jangling around in Michael Jordan's pockets, but the real value depends on whether this team can put itself on the proverbial map enough to overcome not being on the other map.

Chicago Bulls: Dear Gar Forman, you have expiring deals, will have cap room, and on top of that, Derrick Rose. Be smart, and make this Carlos Boozer thing happen, sooner rather than later. Please don't bother tempting fans with hometown hero Wade.

Cleveland Cavaliers: Call LeBron's cell for that. Or you can get his email from me. In all seriousness, I'm not sure what determines whether James stays or goes. Worth remembering that the Cavs are one of those teams that can potentially sign two max players, which is scary. Too bad they're not the only one.

Dallas Mavericks: Fall in love with this team, because they're not going anywhere next summer.

Denver Nuggets: Trading Allen Iverson for Chauncey Billups killed any flexibility they have for the foreseeable future, unless they decide to trade Nene or can find a taker for Kenyon Martin's contract. That said, it was probably worth it.

Detroit Pistons: Enjoy Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

Golden State Warriors: Now this is a good one. Corey Maggette makes $9 million. Stephen Jackson is around $8 million. Monta Ellis, $11 million, all with no end in sight. The epitome of treading water … and they've got to extend Anthony Randolph this summer.

Houston Rockets: Do you want to know who's awesome? The Rockets, who have T-Mac and Yao expiring this summer. It'll be interesting to see what they offer the mothballed Yao—max, I'm assuming—and what happens with McGrady, period. But that's assuming they want/need both back.

Indiana Pacers: The mystery of how the Pacers are filled up with salary (with that roster) is almost as important to national security as how they manage to score a lot of points (with that roster).

Los Angeles Clippers: The Clippers manage to screw everything up, so don't get too excited about the fact that they can go into next summer with only the potentially very good Baron Davis and Chris Kaman under sizable contracts. Eric Gordon could fetch a pretty penny as a restricted FA, Al Thornton, probably not. Since something will go wrong, Clipper fans should celebrate now and move on.

Los Angeles Lakers: If Kobe re-signs, the Lakers can thumb their nose at everyone whose team could fall to pieces next summer. Mortals.

Memphis Grizzlies: That would be when O.J. Mayo and Mike Conley are restricted free agents, which could end up really sucking for a franchise that barely exists in the first place. Then again, that presumes they'll even get a chance to up their value this season.

Miami Heat: One of those nuclear option teams that can sign the whole world if they want. Of course, the problem is that, unlike with Cleveland, there's no supporting cast worth getting takeout with. So if these collaborative super-tandems have a choice, it'll all come down to how much they like pursuing South Beach extracurriculars.

Milwaukee Bucks: I can only conclude that all those deals this year were to clear out cap space. For what? In anticipation of the NBA's impending cap-and-trade system that only they know about?

Minnesota Timberwolves: Do not sleep on Minny. This team will surprise you. And they have a bunch of contracts that don't matter at all disappearing this summer. A player with a brain might look over there and see the chance to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

New Jersey Nets: I know LeBron likes making Cleveland famous, and has an ingrown attachment to the Knicks. But the Nets are no joke in this derby: Brooklyn likely happening, Devin Harris + Brook Lopez + some young role players of note, Jay-Z, unlimited Russian money, and the money to sign two max guys. I hope everyone lets this sink in before responding with a Jersey joke.

New Orleans Hornets: This team is broke and isn't shedding salary anytime soon. Getting Emeka Okafor was good for them, but bad finance. If you need a villain, George Shinn is great at it, Byron Scott is kind of a jerk, and there's no way FEMA helped, either.

New York Knicks: If you really care about their situation, or don't know it, just turn on Good Morning America.

Oklahoma City Thunder: Sam Presti is a genius. They have a team stocked with talent and cap room coming up. But guess what: They need to re-sign everyone, which means they've got to be careful. It'll take a bargain, gamble, or lost-in-the-shuffle star to get any significant boost next summer.

Orlando Magic: Nothing to see here, folks, move along. They had better win a championship sometime soon.

Philadelphia 76ers: This looks suspiciously like the cap situation of Sixers teams past. Yuck.

Phoenix Suns: I would like to take this opportunity to announce publicly that if this team lets Amare Stoudemire go, they might as well blow it up and start all over again. No matter how flawed you think he is.

Portland Trail Blazers: Get back to me when you manage to get that LaMarcus Aldridge extension hammered out.

Sacramento Kings: Get back to me when we know if anyone other than Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia can play.

San Antonio Spurs: It doesn't matter what they do, they'll win a championship within a year or two and prove us all wrong.

Toronto Raptors: Chris Bosh will leave, and Vince Carter will thank him over the telephone.

Utah Jazz: The space opened up by Boozer will be turned into two under-the-radar guys who fit perfectly into Sloan's system. Or someone will lose a court case and they'll end up with Stephen Jackson's deal.

Washington Wizards: Will invent their own currency and thus be exempt from the cap settings to which I have access.

djohn2oo8
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Teams that will have the most cap space

1. Nets ($25-$27 million)
2. Knicks ($24 million, assuming they don’t sign anyone for longer than a year)
3. Heat ($20-$22 million)
4. Timberwolves ($16-$18 million)
5. Bulls ($13-$15 million minus whatever they give Tyrus Thomas)
6. Thunder ($14-$15 million)
7. Rockets ($12-$14 million minus whatever they give to Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes)
8. Clippers ($10-$11 million)
9. Kings ($9-$10 million)

http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/08/08/who-will-have-cap-space-in-2010/

Allanon
10-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't see Yao staying in Houston, I think the relationship has run its course. Wouldn't be surprised to see Yao on the Nets or Knicks.

I'm also guessing LeBron doesn't stay in Cleveland, too much endorsement money waiting for him in New York and South Beach. He might even try to follow MJ's footsteps in Chicago.

I don't see Bosh staying in Toronto either.

Morg1411
10-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Bosh and Wade are flying their respective coops. Lebron may or may not stay put...though I wouldn't be surprised to see him try and hook up with Bose and/or Wade. ("And" is a bit of a stretch.)