PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs Rookie Impresses In Preseason Loss

duncan228
10-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Spurs rookie impresses in preseason loss (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_rookie_impresses_in_preseason_loss.html)
Jeff McDonald

The game was over, the sweat had dried, the media horde had finally vacated his locker. At long last after the Spurs' 99-85 preseason-opening loss to Houston on Tuesday night, Spurs rookie DeJuan Blair was ready to go home.

The only hold-up? In just his second semi-official visit to his new home arena, Blair didn't quite know which way was out.

“That way, DeJuan,” someone called out, helpfully pointing Blair in the direction of outdoors.

It was quite a contrast from what had happened for four quarters prior, when Blair always seemed to know which way to go. Namely, wherever the ball was.

Blair was a smash in his preseason debut, scoring a team-leading 16 points and grabbing 19 rebounds in 22 minutes.

“I did what they asked me to, and that's rebound,” Blair said. “Everything else came off of that.”

Only Gregg Popovich could keep Blair, a second-round pick out Pittsburgh, from becoming the first Spurs player to grab 20 boards in the preseason since Will Perdue in 1996.

He sat Blair for most of the fourth quarter, choosing to look at other players.

After the game, Popovich pronounced himself pleased with Blair's first-game performance. Before it, the coach had cautioned about expecting too much, too soon from the 6-foot-7 rookie.

“I don't want to denigrate anything he's done in the past, and I don't want to over-emphasize anything he's doing well,” Popovich said. “I just don't know exactly where to put him yet, as far as what kind of impact he might make.”

Popovich chose to rest many of his would-be regulars — basically anyone over 32, plus Tony Parker — choosing instead to give a long look to several of his youngsters.

Blair and Ian Mahinmi shared big-man minutes, with vastly different results, while second-year man George Hill — whom Popovich has been calling his favorite player in camp — enjoyed a solid outing in relief of Parker at the point.

It was Blair, however, who stole the show — and, apparently, the hearts of 15,545 fans at the AT&T Center with his see-ball, get-ball ethos.

Raw offensively and undersized for a big man, the 20-year-old Blair is still very much a work in progress. Popovich wants him to fight the urge to do more than he is capable of.

“I don't want him to go out and show me how good he is,” Popovich said. “I want him to go out and just play his game, and not try to get more minutes by showing me all these different parts of his game.”

Both sides of Blair were on display in the first quarter. Then, he ill-advisedly posted up Rockets center Chuck Hayes — not Blair's game — and missed badly on a turnaround. Yet he was able to birddog his own rebound for a put-back basket.

Blair missed 9 of 15 shots Tuesday, which helped account for at least some of his eight offensive rebounds.

As he proved at Pitt, and as he proved in July while demolishing the Las Vegas summer league circuit, Blair certainly has a flair for that. His new teammates have been impressed equally by the number of rebounds Blair gets as the manner in which they come.

“If an arm was close, he would have broken a couple,” Manu Ginobili said.

Still, Ginobili notes what Popovich does. There is still a ways for the rookie to go. He needs to learn the intricacies of the Spurs' pick-and-roll. There will be nights when it will be difficult to find someone for Blair to match up with defensively.

In the meantime, Blair can always do what comes natural. He can rebound.

He might not always know where he's going yet. But he certainly knows why he's here.

“That's what they brought me here for, to rebound,” Blair said. “I've got a knack for the ball. I just go get it.”

Slideshow

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/Spurs-Rockets_Preseason_Game.html

Spursmania
10-07-2009, 12:09 AM
From watching the game, Blair makes an immediate impact with his energy and guts. But, it's clear he needs a lot of work defensively, etc...

He's a work in progress, but he will be a force to reckon with and the guy seems to have pretty good hands. We were damn lucky to land him. He and Hill were the definite bright spots out there. Ian needs a lot of work.

Solid D
10-07-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm sure Pop remembers how he used Malik Rose. Blair has similar qualities. Active hands, good rebounding technique, tenacity, similar height, not quite as quick on his feet but terrific wingspan with a knack to create loose balls.

Sealing for TP, Manu and RJ drives. Big soft mits to receive wrap-arounds. Setting strong ball screens on the wing. He can be a great asset to the offense.

Blair guarding lifted Bigs is a problem that needs to be ironed out, because teams will draw him out and exploit DeJuan and his lack of experience.

DPG21920
10-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Malik seemed light years ahead on defense from what I recall. The strange thing is, even though Blair does not have "jump" athleticism, he has an agile body. I really think people are going to be disappointed when Pop uses other guys because Blair cannot match up with someone.

MaNu4Tres
10-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Blair looked like a man amongst boys tonight. Solid performance. (Outside of Manu, RJ and Mason) George Hill, Bonner and Hairston looked like NBA players.
Everyone else has a lot to prove if they want a spot on the roster.

Mahimni needs to really step it up if he wants the Spurs to exercise his option. He didn't impress one bit. If he continues this I wouldn't be surprised if he was shopped around for a 2nd round pick or packaged in a deal. The kid has been in neutral since 2006 and I don't see any signs of him improving enough to ever break the rotation.

By the way Blair will be the steal of the 2009 NBA Draft.

MaNu4Tres
10-07-2009, 12:32 AM
I'm sure Pop remembers how he used Malik Rose. Blair has similar qualities. Active hands, good rebounding technique, tenacity, similar height, not quite as quick on his feet but terrific wingspan with a knack to create loose balls.

Sealing for TP, Manu and RJ drives. Big soft mits to receive wrap-arounds. Setting strong ball screens on the wing. He can be a great asset to the offense.

Blair guarding lifted Bigs is a problem that needs to be ironed out, because teams will draw him out and exploit DeJuan and his lack of experience.

Once Blair straightens out his shot selection, gets down the pick and roll on both ends of the court, and expands his Spurs basketball IQ he will be better than Malik Rose ever was for the Spurs. The kid has IT.

ShoogarBear
10-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Only Gregg Popovich could keep Blair, a second-round pick out Pittsburgh, from becoming the first Spurs player to grab 20 boards in the preseason since Will Perdue in 1996.

Hoookay, that maybe puts a damper on things.

wildbill2u
10-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Short for a PF but strong body with a knack and nose for the ball.

If I'm his opponent, on offense I take him away from the basket and shoot over him. Or take him on the dribble if I'm faster and have good ball handling skills.

Defending him may be something of a problem if he muscles his way down low. It may take him a couple of shots, but he'll just keep getting his misses and putting them up til he scores--and may get a frustration foul.

He may be a matchup wonder. Put him in a game against a selected opponent and watch Blair take him apart physically--and mentally. He's gonna piss some players off when they can't move him or don't have the skills to attack him.

rayray2k8
10-07-2009, 12:49 AM
Loved Blair on the glass, but he needs work on the defensive side..

NASpurs
10-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Hoookay, that maybe puts a damper on things.

Poor DRob. That's what he was stuck with

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2009-09/49321297.jpg

Who knew TD played for the Heat btw.

Manufan909
10-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Someone with arms that long, that much desire, that much raw power, and that level of rebounding skill, I think it's safe to say he'll be the third or fourth big come the January, easy.

Spurs Brazil
10-07-2009, 07:14 AM
After read those quotes I’m afraid Pop won’t play Blair much in the beginning of season.
I think TD/McDyess and Bonner will get most of the minutes but as the season goes on I hope Pop trusts in Blair and plays him.

NickiRasgo
10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm currently watching the game. :D

NickiRasgo
10-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Spurs starter:

C - Ian Mahinmi
PF - Matt Bonner (First basket of the Spurs is made by him)
SF - Richard Jefferson
SG - Manu Ginobili
PG - George Hill

exstatic
10-07-2009, 07:32 AM
If I'm his opponent, on offense I take him away from the basket and shoot over him.

As stated here many times, you don't rebound (or contest shots) with the top of your head. Blair's standing reach is that of a 6'10" or 6'11" player.

Dex
10-07-2009, 09:26 AM

It's funny because watching Blair last night, I was often reminded of Malik Rose's game. The hustle and the tenacity, sometimes to the point of recklessness. Malik made a living by taking it straight to the oversized guys.

It's definitely key to have somebody in the post who can help with the dirty work, just like Robert Horry used to, and Blair seems to excel at that quality.

If he can learn to focus and refine all of that energy and becomes comfortable in the low post offense, he's going to be one hell of a player for a while.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Both sides of Blair were on display in the first quarter. Then, he ill-advisedly posted up Rockets center Chuck Hayes — not Blair's game — and missed badly on a turnaround. Yet he was able to birddog his own rebound for a put-back basket.

Yeah, it's not like he didn't punk Thabeet last year when UConn and Pitt played, or did a lot of said damage in the post against all 7'2" of Hasheem.

Weird observation.

Solid D
10-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Poor DRob. That's what he was stuck with

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/media/photo/2009-09/49321297.jpg

Who knew TD played for the Heat btw.

:lol That's actually Duane Causwell pushing Purdue.