PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Crabtree, 49ers Agree To Deal

Mugshot
10-07-2009, 06:54 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4538482

After months of holding out, wide receiver Michael Crabtree has agreed to a contract with the San Francisco 49ers, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Crabtree will get a six-year deal that he can void to five years if he meets undefined performance clauses, a league source told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The 22-year-old Crabtree is expected to report to the team's training facility Wednesday.

Crabtree and agent Eugene Parker met into the early-morning hours Wednesday with 49ers owner Jed York, general manager Scot McCloughan and Paraag Marathe, vice president of football operations. The two sides had gone almost three weeks without talking.

San Francisco selected Crabtree with the 10th pick in this year's draft and could use the wideout's game-breaking ability in the passing game. That said, he has a lot of catching up to do to learn the offense after missing all of training camp.

He also sat out the 49ers' offseason minicamps and organized team activities while recovering from a foot injury, but was a regular presence for rehabilitation and strengthening workouts at the team's training facility.

Coach Mike Singletary, whose 49ers lead the NFC West and at 3-1 are off to their best start since 2002, said Monday he would welcome Crabtree whenever he joins the team.

Crabtree caught 97 passes for 1,165 yards and 19 touchdowns last year during his sophomore season at Texas Tech. He finished his college career with 231 receptions for 3,127 yards and 41 TDs.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

LnGrrrR
10-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Way to go, dumbass. Nice to see you realize you're an idiot. I hope he got less than the 11th pick.

Dr Cox
10-07-2009, 09:40 AM
jeez bout time,

now go out and repersent

LOL texans
10-07-2009, 10:31 AM
What a dumbass. Was it really worth it Crabtree? No, but at least the NFL and the fans that follow the NFL know what kind of person you are.

chode_regulator
10-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I literally only had sportscenter on for about 15 minutes a bit earlier and they brought this up at least 5 or 6 times. I mean do we need to be told about it every 10 seconds and have it go across the bottom of the screen. :sleep

J.T.
10-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm going to miss Rich Eisen's running joke anytime he's doing Niners highlights on NFL Network now.

florige
10-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Is he the one who has/had his cousin representing him?

symple19
10-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm not real happy about this. Reports put the the incentive laden deal at 6 years. I think the douchebag finally realized the Niners are a good team and that he wasn't going to get the same money next year.

I hope he gets booed when he gets his first playing time, to remind him that he's a fucking prima-donna. It's going to take a long time for me to cheer for him, and he better keep his mouth shut and work his ass off or Niner fans will boo his punk ass right out of town.

If anybody can keep him in check though it's Singletary. Mike put another me me me first guy, Vernon Davis, in his place and this year he's emerging into the threat he was supposed to be 3 years ago.

Oh yeah. Somehow MC Hammer was involved in this. That can't bode well. Add in Deion Sanders and the other tool-bags surrounding Crabtree and I can't help but think, "Major Bust". Hope I'm wrong.

The Franchise
10-07-2009, 01:16 PM
What a dumbass. Was it really worth it Crabtree? No, but at least the NFL and the fans that follow the NFL know what kind of person you are.

Yeah, every time I hear about this kid the first word that comes to mind is idiot.

bostonguy
10-07-2009, 04:10 PM
The niners are shaping up to be a damn good team. Their D kicks ass. Gore will be back soon and now they have a pretty good wideout in Crabtree. Add that in with a kickass coach.

xellos88330
10-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Hmmm... well it looks like both sides gave from what I can tell. Crabtree better work his ass off and prove that he is worth it. Hopefully this deal does that.

PixelPusher
10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm not real happy about this. Reports put the the incentive laden deal at 6 years.
Keep in mind, it's an NFL "contract" - so anything outside the guaranteed money is meaningless. Also, good luck to Crabtree fulfilling those incentives as the 3rd wideout in our base 22 offense.

Oh yeah. Somehow MC Hammer was involved in this. That can't bode well. Add in Deion Sanders and the other tool-bags surrounding Crabtree and I can't help but think, "Major Bust". Hope I'm wrong.
I'm thinking something in between bust and HOFer...another J.J. Stokes.

LordXRevan
10-07-2009, 07:02 PM
doesn't anyone find it funny that right when Crabtree signs a deal with the 49ers, the Jets, who are accused of tampering with Crabtree, trade for Braylon Edwards?

xellos88330
10-07-2009, 07:39 PM
^ It crossed my mind.

crc21209
10-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Crabtree is just a big fuckin' crybaby. He wanted to get paid like a Top 5 pick when he wasnt picked in the Top 5....jackass.

symple19
10-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Keep in mind, it's an NFL "contract" - so anything outside the guaranteed money is meaningless. Also, good luck to Crabtree fulfilling those incentives as the 3rd wideout in our base 22 offense.

Still a lot of guaranteed cheddah.

I'm thinking something in between bust and HOFer...another J.J. Stokes.

JJ was a decent Niner. For the 17 mil guaranteed and all the crying he's done, he needs to be a much better receiver than Stokes ever was. I'm not so sure Arnaz won't be ahead of him. I'd put him as the 4th receiver for the rest of the year.

From Fox Sports:

The Michael Crabtree numbers are in, and his holdout does not appear to have produced anything drastic outside of the normal No. 10 draft slot.

The newly-signed contract between long-time first-round holdout Michael Crabtree and the 49ers is a six-year deal for a $32 million base salary, with $17 million guaranteed, according to ProFootballTalk.com.

However, if Crabtree has two Pro Bowl seasons during the first four years, the deal will transform into a five-year, $28 million contract.

There are other contract escalators that could ramp the deal up to $40 million over six years, but in order to obtain those numbers the former Texas Tech receiver would have to be a phenomenal player, as well as postseason performer — with many of those incentives very unlikely to be earned.

Both sides appear to be ecstatic to finally get this contract worked out, and Niners insiders are gushing over the ability to add a bonafide potential playmaker to the roster.

symple19
10-07-2009, 08:42 PM
doesn't anyone find it funny that right when Crabtree signs a deal with the 49ers, the Jets, who are accused of tampering with Crabtree, trade for Braylon Edwards?

^ It crossed my mind.

It crossed mine as well. Bit too much of a coincidence. As much as I hate Crab right now, I'll take his hands over Edwards ability to stretch the field.

Jury is still out on which one is a bigger princess/tool-bag though. Crab has time to catch up in that category, although Braylon is heading to the New York which is known for encouraging douchebaggery. Plaxico set a nice standard there in the big apple for Edwards to shoot for

Nathan Explosion
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Niners fans are crying now, but if the guy puts up great numbers and catches TDs, they'll shut up.

symple19
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Niners fans are crying now, but if the guy puts up great numbers and catches TDs, they'll shut up.

Can't really argue here.

I will, however, point out that SF had a receiver who put up great numbers and caught a lot of TD passes. His name was TO, he wore out his welcome, and was run out of town with boos cascading all around him

xellos88330
10-07-2009, 11:24 PM

I am not upset with him. He thought he was worth more. I just hope he works like there is no tomorrow considering the fiasco he put over his draft position. If he is a bust, well then he will look pretty dumb. If he isn't a bust, then he worked hard enough to earn the money.

kamikazi_player
10-08-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm not real happy about this. Reports put the the incentive laden deal at 6 years. I think the douchebag finally realized the Niners are a good team and that he wasn't going to get the same money next year.

I hope he gets booed when he gets his first playing time, to remind him that he's a fucking prima-donna. It's going to take a long time for me to cheer for him, and he better keep his mouth shut and work his ass off or Niner fans will boo his punk ass right out of town.

If anybody can keep him in check though it's Singletary. Mike put another me me me first guy, Vernon Davis, in his place and this year he's emerging into the threat he was supposed to be 3 years ago.

:lmao who have they really beaten, honestly

symple19
10-08-2009, 01:12 AM

More teams than Dallas has :hat

robino2001
10-08-2009, 07:48 AM
almost a full page and no talk about MC Hammer making this happen?

Early on Tuesday I had heard that a mystery matchmaker brought the two sides and bridged the considerable gulf that had formed since the contract began 72 days ago on July 28. Who was this mystery man? It turned out to be former rap star MC Hammer, who is an associate of both Deion Sanders' and Parkers'. Hammer, who was born Stanley Burrell and who goes solely by "Hammer" these days, grew up in Oakland. He was a bat boy for the A's in the early 1980s. Hammer not only brought the two sides together in the Crabtree standoff, he was a key figure during yesterday's negotiations. You can't make this stuff up, folks ...

-- Matt Barrows

DBryant88
10-08-2009, 07:59 AM
More teams than Dallas has :hat

fuck the 49ers
simple as that

Dr Cox
10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
hes not vocal like TO

thats a dumb comparison, his agent was stupid here and he just wanted more money, he will bust ass on the field liek he always have, you wont have to worry about that

he will produce fine and def wont be teh 3rd wr all year

Fillmoe
10-08-2009, 11:34 AM

we are a favre arm away from being 4-0

Fillmoe
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
fuck dallas... shitty ass fucking team.... all that talent on the roster and they still cant manage to win shit....

symple19
10-08-2009, 09:12 PM

almost a full page and no talk about MC Hammer making this happen?

symple19
10-08-2009, 09:13 PM
fuck dallas... shitty ass fucking team.... all that talent on the roster and they still cant manage to win shit....

this

symple19
10-08-2009, 09:16 PM
hes not vocal like TO

thats a dumb comparison, his agent was stupid here and he just wanted more money, he will bust ass on the field liek he always have, you wont have to worry about that

he will produce fine and def wont be teh 3rd wr all year

TO wasn't vocal either when he showed up to the Niners. He was all yes sir, no sir. There's a lot of time for Crab to develop into a full on TO-like POS. Time will tell.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-08-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.theunticket.com/deion-sanders-oh-a-phong-is-ringing/

pure. unadulterated. awesome. GOLD.

Ha-ha-ha!! Oh! Whatta day!

I hope Trab has the longest career of any nfl receiver ever. I will never ever call him anything other than Michael Trabtree and I still laugh to this day every time I say it or hear it.

http://www.theunticket.com/?s=deion+sanders&x=0&y=0&=Go

monosylab1k
10-08-2009, 10:03 PM
the late, the great Gil Brandt!

symple19
10-09-2009, 01:00 AM
This is from Niner GM Scot McCloughan on what happened to get the deal done. Interesting because it shows the Niners did not cave in. Good job by the front office.

On the importance for the 49ers to hold their ground during negotiations:

“Very important. We needed to, not just prove a point, but what you do now is what happens in the future as well. If you start setting precedents you don’t want to follow in the future, you really handcuff your organization. The one thing that was nice, and Coach Sing spoke about it, is there was no panic from the ownership and the head coach. Not one time did they come to me and say, ‘Listen, we have to have this guy in.’ I know we are sitting at 3-1 right now, and some people ask why Michael wanted to come in now. I feel that if we were 1-3 the ownership and the head coach still would not show any panic saying it has to get done.”

On the breakthrough that got the deal done:

“It was unique because I kept telling Paraag and Jed that this would come out of left field, this will be something that you don’t see this week and two weeks in advance that it is going to happen. There was some communication made between both parties. It was ongoing back and forth with Paraag and with Eugene since we drafted him. Jed did reach out, through the radio, that he would like to have a face-to-face. We had told that to Eugene prior too, but they weren’t ready for it. They were only going to come if we guaranteed we would switch our proposal, and we weren’t going that route. Then all of a sudden on Sunday night, boom, they called and said, ‘Listen, we are flying into town.’ We had no idea if that meant they were coming in for a meeting. We just knew they were both going to be in town at some time.”