PDA

View Full Version : Blazers Insider: Nate McMillan faces difficult choices

tlongII
10-07-2009, 08:49 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/blazers_insider_mcmillan_faces.html

How in the heck does Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan figure out how to use this talented and deep roster?

As of Tuesday morning, McMillan envisioned a starting unit that stayed intact from last season's 54-win season: Steve Blake at point guard, Brandon Roy at shooting guard, Nicolas Batum at small forward, LaMarcus Aldridge at power forward and Joel Przybilla at center.

The second unit would be the one that has spent the first week of the exhibition season practicing against the starters: Andre Miller at point guard, Rudy Fernandez at shooting guard, Martell Webster at small forward, Travis Outlaw at power forward and Greg Oden at center.

This has drawn great interest from inside the Blazers' locker room, and of course in every sports pub throughout the state.

Miller, the big-time free agent acquisition, coming off the bench?

Oden, the No. 1 overall pick, the manchild with unlimited potential, not starting?

Is the Blazers' coach losing it?

Not yet.

But check back at the end of the exhibition season, when McMillan has to evaluate all the different combinations and make it work with all the different personalities, all the different agendas and all the different styles of this roster.

Right now, McMillan is not letting on to the stress of assembling this puzzle.

"It's what's best for the team, simple as that," McMillan said Tuesday morning before Miller and Oden keyed a 98-86 win over Sacramento in the exhibition opener for both teams.

Nobody seems willing to believe that McMillan will use a starting lineup of Blake, Roy, Batum, Aldridge and Przybilla.

But as McMillan has said since he arrived in Portland five years ago, the starting lineup doesn't matter. The grouping of players is what matters. He wants each unit to have a balance of offense and defense. And he wants each unit to be multi-faceted.

That's why he loves the idea of Miller, Fernandez, Webster, Outlaw and Oden coming off the bench.

"I do see something in that unit," McMillan said. "I think that can be a unit that is very difficult to defend and play against -- whether it's the first or second. There is a balance there -- we can run pick and rolls, we can run post-ups, we can run turn-outs, we can trap ... we can do the same thing with this unit as we can with that unit. So there's a balance."

The question, of course, is whether the players will buy into it.

Oden has made it clear he wants to start. And team star Roy, who carries the most weight in the locker room, said Tuesday night that Oden has been playing so well in practices that "it's going to be hard to keep Greg out of the starting lineup."

And then Roy brought up the delicate subject that usually goes unspoken. Oden, being Oden, almost has to start.

"It's the NBA," Roy said. "It's you know, marketing. He's our No. 1 pick. The pillar of the franchise. I just think all of that plays into it."

Oden, who is 14 pounds lighter than he was last season, has been drawing rave reviews from teammates and coaches. His feet are quicker. His mind is free of pressures. His lungs and legs can endure more, for longer stretches. And his offensive repertoire has expanded.

All of that was on display Tuesday night, when Oden had 18 points and nine rebounds in 26 minutes.

That brings us to Miller, the steady, heady and proven point guard. He too has said he intends to start, and the common refrain around the league is how can you sign a guy for $7 million a season and bring him off the bench?

For starters, McMillan said he was as blunt as he could be when the team recruited Miller during a Las Vegas dinner this summer. He told him then that he envisioned Miller coming off the bench, running pick and rolls with Oden and funneling fast-break passes to Fernandez and Webster streaking on the wings.

"The one thing is, I don't (mess) around with you in the summer," McMillan said, becoming stern. "When I tell you something, that is what I'm thinking. So when I told Andre that he was coming off the bench, I was for real. Now, he said he wanted to start, and I understand that. And there is a chance he could. I'm not saying we won't go there."

Miller, meanwhile, doesn't want the conversation to go there right now. He said he remembers what was said in the Las Vegas dinner, but added "that was in the past."

And the present?

"I'm not going to get all into that right now," Miller said before the game. “Both units can do both things — both units can go halfcourt, both units can run. So I don’t want to make a big deal out of it, it’s just basketball.”

He did his talking a little later, when he was the most impressive player on the court Tuesday night. He had 16 points on 5-of-6 shooting and had five assists (three turnovers). But any one of the 17,682 could tell you that Miller did so much more than his statistics line says.

So here we are, one exhibition game into it, and already there’s added fuel to an already raging debate. Which five players fit best? And do the remaining five players create a cohesive unit?

McMillan will get his second look tonight, in Sacramento.

“With the starters — it’s conversation for people, and that’s good,” McMillan said. “But when you are really in here at practices, it’s like fitting pieces together. And you have to see it before you can make decisions. I mean, it may not look good tonight. But eventually, it will happen. It will play out. And I will have a starting lineup on the 27th and a unit that comes off the bench.

“Will it stay that way for the whole season?” McMillan said, a smile creasing his face. “I would not sit here and say that.”

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Pop has been demoted to Asshole Second Class. McMillan is the new Asshole.

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Thong I bought blazers party napkins just to whipe my ass with!

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Thong I bought blazers party napkins just to whipe my ass with!

Don't ferget to pull your nose to the side afore the wipe.

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Don't ferget to pull your nose to the side afore the wipe.

There you go again. Not making any sense. :sleep

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 09:49 AM
There you go again. Not making any sense. :sleep

I think I'm tryin' too hard, Jazzy. Por favor?

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I think I'm tryin' too hard, Jazzy. Por favor?

It's like when you try too hard to fart.. there are consequences. Messy drawers!
Trying too hard on a forum, looking like a bafoon:toast

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 09:55 AM
It's like when you try too hard to fart.. there are consequences. Messy drawers!
Trying too hard on a forum, looking like a bafoon:toast

Man, yer spankin' my ass today. Looks like two Jap flags.

Fpoonsie
10-07-2009, 09:59 AM
37vqyQ8CIgU

JamStone
10-07-2009, 10:26 AM
If Nate really felt Andre Miller should come off the bench behind Steve Blake at any point, he's a dumbass.

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 10:51 AM
If Nate really felt Andre Miller should come off the bench behind Steve Blake at any point, he's a dumbass.

What, is there a f'in echo in here? I said that already this morning.

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 10:53 AM

You are allowed to repost things, why can't anyone else?

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
You are allowed to repost things, why can't anyone else?

Don't be obtuse, Jazzy. It's disrespectful to portend that I wasn't first and treat me like a second class citizen.

"I take pride in my grits. No self respecting southerner uses instant grits."

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Don't be obtuse, Jazzy. It's disrespectful to portend that I wasn't first and treat me like a second class citizen.

"I take pride in my grits. No self respecting southerner uses instant grits."

Relax.. No one's deporting you back to mexico!

WildcardManu
10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
:lol

PDXSpursFan
10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
if nate really felt andre miller should come off the bench behind steve blake at any point, he's a dumbass.

+1

Morg1411
10-07-2009, 02:22 PM

And I said it fucking weeks ago. This repeating information is just clear indication that we're all right about two things:

Miller > Blake
Horseshit > McMillan

JamStone
10-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Calling Nate an asshole doesn't mean you think he's a dumbass.