PDA

View Full Version : Blazers see new faces, new opportunities in win over Kings, but have some work ahead

tlongII
10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/blazers_see_new_faces_new_oppo.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/photo/blz-aldrid07jpg-a3e11ffe3b11bbc6_large.jpg
LaMarcus Aldridge drives to the basket as the Trail Blazers take on the Sacramento Kings at the Rose Garden in the exhibition opener for both teams. Aldridge scored 20 points in the win.

Incredible depth. Highlight-a-minute potential. Northwest Division favorites.

There's been a heap of praise bestowed on the Trail Blazers during the preseason. But when given an opportunity to back up the hype in an exhibition opener against the Sacramento Kings, there was more sputter than spunk in the early going.

Brandon Roy air-balled his first attempt. Martell Webster couldn't find the mark. Seemingly everyone was whistled for a traveling violation.

In an exhibition opener against the Kings last season, the Blazers dunked, alley-ooped and no-look passed their way to a breathtaking 29-point victory. But Tuesday night?

Eh.

The Blazers won comfortably, 98-86, before 17,682 at the Rose Garden. But, early in the game, there were few highlight moments and little energy from a team that enters its 40th season with high expectations.

"We needed that game to look at ourselves and to see where we're at," coach Nate McMillan said, after saying the game provided great film for teaching. "We've got a lot of work ahead of us.

"I wanted us to come out with a little bit more energy, scrapping, having some fun. I thought we kind of slugged it out, it looked like we had some heavy legs. Our guys haven't had a day off and it kind of looked that way."

After a first quarter snoozefest, in which the Blazers led 24-23 and the crowd seemed restless, there were finally some highlight moments -- and they came from the free agent point guard (Andre Miller) and the player (Greg Oden) who seemingly has the most to prove this season.

Both entered to large applause with 4:14 left in the first quarter and Miller wasted little time endearing himself to the home crowd.

In a series of plays that offered a taste of what he can bring to his new team, Miller beat his defender for a driving layup, registered a steal on the other end of the floor and then heaved a long pass to Travis Outlaw for an assist. Then, on the next possession, Miller hauled in a rebound after a Blazers' stop and drove the length of the court for a three-point play.

There were plenty more highlights the rest of the game, including a bullet pass to a cutting Roy for a layup, as Miller finished his Rose Garden debut with 16 points, five assists and two steals, while making 5 of 6 field goals.

"He can initiate the offense and he can post up," said Roy, of Miller. "We haven't had a guard that can post up and command the double team. I thought he did a great job of getting us in rhythm and just going out and playing and trying to find his own rhythm out there. "

Oden flashed the by-product of his slimmed-down physique and offseason of hard work. Displaying quicker feet and a more fluid game, Oden made multiple right-handed hook shots, flashed a brilliant spin move and even swished a short face-up jump shot.

To be sure, he remains a work in progress -- he badly missed at least two jump hooks -- but he seemed to improve and become more comfortable as the game went on. Oden finished with 18 points and nine rebounds and hit 10 of 12 free throws.

"It's definitely going to help with my confidence for this year," Oden said. "Just having a good first game. I just want to keep it going."

While Oden flashed improvement and Miller flashed potential, LaMarcus Aldridge appeared to be in midseason form. He finished with a game-high 20 points and drained 8 of 11 field goals, prompting a throng of fans in the 300 level to repeatedly chant, "Cut the check, cut the check," in reference to his ongoing contract negotiations.

So, even though Roy looked rusty (six points, 3 of 11 shooting), Webster struggled from the field (2 of 7, 1 of 4 from three-point range), the Blazers surrendered 16 offensive rebounds and were outrebounded 44-34, there was little concern in the locker room following the game.

"We like to say, it's the first game, it's the beginning of the season," Oden said. "We have a lot of stuff to work on and we're going to keep on working. We're not the greatest team, we're not championship ready right now. But we're working on it."

Notes
The Blazers are 17-11 all-time in exhibition games against the Kings. ... Former Blazer Sergio Rodriguez scored seven points and shot 1 of 6 from the field for the Kings. ... McMillan said he will start a different unit tonight, but did not say what that lineup would be.

Culburn369
10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
[Notes
The Blazers are 17-11 all-time in exhibition games against the Kings.]

Can ya imagine sittin' down at a word processor and writin' that after you researched?

I God's.

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
You make everyone hate the blazers.. I hope they fail just cuz of you thong!

Rogue
10-07-2009, 10:23 AM
You make everyone hate the blazers.. I hope they fail just cuz of you thong!
:lmao :lmao :lmao ROFL that's so fucking amusing, bra, bra... :lmao