PDA

View Full Version : Miller takes charge in Blazers' victory

tlongII
10-07-2009, 02:27 PM
http://columbian.com/article/20091006/SPORTS01/710079934/1001/SPORTS01

PORTLAND — In a thrilling three-minute span, Andre Miller answered the initial questions.

The Portland Trail Blazers point guard blew by defenders, glided through the air and easily dropped in tough shots. He deftly picked up a steal and dished out an impressive assist. And the 10-year NBA veteran brought a new level of excitement to a Blazers season already loaded with high expectations.

Miller scored five of his 16 points during a second-quarter blast off, looking every bit like the big-name point guard Portland sought when the team signed him last summer as an offseason free agent.

And Miller keyed Portland's 98-86 victory over the Sacramento Kings on Tuesday evening in a preseason-opening matchup at the Rose Garden before a crowd of 17,682.

"I was just trying to save my energy, actually," said Miller, who added five assists, two steals and two rebounds. "Take it one breath at a time; try to get into shape."

LaMarcus Aldridge scored a game-high 20 points on 8-of-11 shooting and grabbed five rebounds to lead the Blazers (1-0), while Greg Oden delivered on his preseason promise, adding 18 points and nine rebounds.

Steve Blake, the team's incumbent starter at the point guard position, scored three points and had four assists.

Blazers coach Nate McMillan said he was pleased with his team's overall effort, emphasizing the fact that the Blazers attempted 46 free throws and played the aggressor. However, McMillan stated he was concerned by Sacramento's ability to control the boards — the Kings outrebounded Portland, 44-34 — and thought the Blazers spent too much time on defense watching the ball.

"I thought we slugged it out," McMillan said. "It looked like we had, maybe, heavy legs. Our guys haven't had a day off, and it kind of looked that way."

Kevin Martin, Tyreke Evans and Jason Thompson scored 12 points apiece to top the Kings (0-1).

"It's hard to win (in) a place like this, but we did some good things," Sacramento coach Paul Westphal said.

Kings point guard Sergio Rodriguez, who played for the Blazers from 2006-09, scored seven points.

"It was good, but it was weird," said Rodriguez of being back in the Rose Garden again. "I was excited. I was happy. It was emotional."

McMillan stayed with his starting five — Blake, Brandon Roy, Nicolas Batum, Aldridge and Joel Przybilla — for the first 6:35 of the game. Blazers small forward Martell Webster was the first Portland player off the bench, and was quickly joined by Miller and Oden.

Portland took a 24-23 lead via consecutive made free throws by Oden with 38 seconds remaining in the first quarter.

Oden was sent to the line following a strong move to the basket that symbolized his continued offensive improvement. After catching a pass from Miller, Oden backed down Kings center Spencer Hawes on the lower left block. Oden quickly spun right, blowing by the former University of Washington standout, and leaped toward the basket. Hawes fouled Oden before he could finish the move. But Oden looked strong and confident during the play, vividly displaying his much-discussed new offensive skills.

"It was good to have some things go my way," Oden said.

Miller then ignited a 9-3 Blazers run, and Portland took a 43-42 lead into halftime. Following the break, McMillan inserted Miller, Oden and Webster into Portland's first unit, joining Roy and Aldridge. The five-piece ran the court with a fluid style that was not seen by any of the Blazers' first-half rotations.

"This team has a lot of talent at every position," Miller said.

Portland found a groove in the second half, after looking out of snych in the first. And the Blazers' defense — a point of renewed emphasis during training camp — tightened up, holding Sacramento to 29 percent (7-of-24) shooting from the floor in the third quarter.

Portland travels to Sacramento to face the Kings at 7 tonight at Arco Arena.

Notes

n Tuesday marked Webster's first extended action since missing nearly the entire 2008-09 season due to a foot injury. He scored six points and played more than 30 minutes. Webster fractured his left foot Oct. 7, 2008, during a preseason contest against the Kings.

n Ime Udoka came out ahead in the initial battle with Jarron Collins for the Blazers' 15th and final roster spot.

Udoka was inserted into the game early in the fourth quarter, and picked up five points during 12 minutes of action. Collins did not play.

jazzypimp
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
eat shit thong!!

Morg1411
10-07-2009, 03:28 PM
eat shit thong!!

:toast