PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Popovich: First few games all about evaluation

duncan228
10-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Popovich: First few games all about evaluation (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Popovich_First_few_games_all_about_evaluation.html )
Mike Monroe

The Spurs won't worry about honing their games to regular-season sharpness until the final few preseason games. For now, the games are all about evaluation.

Fourteen Spurs players have guaranteed contracts, but it appears the club intends to go with the NBA-allowed maximum roster of 15 players. Between now and opening night, the basketball staff must decide among the four non-guaranteed players in camp: Malik Hairston, Marcus Williams, Curtis Jerrells and Dwayne Jones.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, who despises having to tell players they've been waived, relishes the opportunity the first few preseason games afford him to make personnel judgments.

“I love these first few games because all I do is evaluate,” he said. “We need to make some tough roster decisions about some of these young guys, so all I worry about is evaluating them.”

Indeed, Popovich didn't even suit up Tim Duncan, Michael Finley, Tony Parker, Antonio McDyess and Theo Ratliff when the Spurs opened the preseason against the Houston Rockets on Tuesday at the AT&T Center.

All four of the “bubble” players logged at least 151/2 minutes. Hairston, who played 15 regular-season games with the Spurs last season, made four of seven shots, scored 10 points and grabbed five rebounds.

“I thought Malik played well last night,” Parker said. “I thought he was aggressive, and he didn't force anything.

“That's the main thing when you're a young guy. You want to make sure you understand the system, and Malik did a good job of that.”

Rating camp: New big man McDyess declared after just one week that the Spurs' training camp was the best in which he had participated in 13 years in the NBA.

New small forward Richard Jefferson wasn't quite as definitive but nonetheless pleased with the camp's structure and professionalism.

“Obviously, Pop knows what he's doing,” Jefferson said. “The guys here work extremely hard. He doesn't feel the pressure to feel, ‘Oh, I've got to get this guy in shape; or this person didn't do this or that; or this person doesn't work hard, and if we're going to get him what he needs, we're going to have to get extra shots in practice.'”

completely deck
10-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Fourteen Spurs players have guaranteed contracts, but it appears the club intends to go with the NBA-allowed maximum roster of 15 players. Between now and opening night, the basketball staff must decide among the four non-guaranteed players in camp: Malik Hairston, Marcus Williams, Curtis Jerrells and Dwayne Jones.

Here's who I think will get the spot. RJ said it best, only Pop knows whats going on most of the time. :pop:

Libri
10-08-2009, 12:57 AM
“I thought Malik played well last night,” Parker said. “I thought he was aggressive, and he didn't force anything.

“That's the main thing when you're a young guy. You want to make sure you understand the system, and Malik did a good job of that.”In other words, "Pop, keep Malik."

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2009, 01:00 AM
This is the 2nd interview from today where Parker mentions Hairston..good sign..

benefactor
10-08-2009, 05:40 AM
I have a hard time imagining a situation where any of the rest of those guys get the spot ahead of Hairston.

wildbill2u
10-08-2009, 08:23 AM
I agree. Hairston has more experience with the Spurs and will edge out Williams. The other two guys--Jarells and Jones__ are not even on the radar unless they pull off some miracles in the next couple of days.

urunobili
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Im pullin hard for Hairston to make the squad...

Riverwalkman
10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Now it's safe to say good-bye to Marcus Williams.

Flux451
10-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Can you guys think of anyone that Hairston's game resembles?

FvckMavs
10-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Can you guys think of anyone that Hairston's game resembles?

Devin Brown?