PDA

View Full Version : Kobe, Fish & Pau should get a ton of rest this season

j.dizzle
10-08-2009, 01:51 AM
This is one of the biggest reasons I liked the Artest trade. As i watched some the game tonight I felt incredibly confident even when Kobe & Pau were on the bench...I know this was just a preseason game but I can tell that Artest, LO, & Bynum will be able to handle a lot of the load when the Lakers are not playing the elite teams. I really liked Ariza but he always made me nervous when he wasnt playing with the starters since he cannot create his own shot. I've never seen Phil smile so much haha hopefully he shows Ron how to meditate so everything runs smoothly this year :lol

DBryant88
10-08-2009, 07:46 AM
i read that bynum isn't starting
is this true?

2Cleva
10-08-2009, 08:00 AM
i read that bynum isn't starting
is this true?

No, that isn't true. Only reason he didn't start one scrimage is because Mbenga was out hurt and Pau and Bynum had to match up against each other. Biggest non-story of the preseason by the LA Times (which sucks BTW - Kevin Ding in the OC Registar is all that matters).

No way Bynum should be benched because of how he played hurt in the playoffs. Fucking idiots.

As if teams don't have enough problems with Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and Ron Artest, the Lakers reminded opponents what else might await them this season.

Andrew Bynum -- remember him? -- had 24 points in the Lakers' 118-101 victory over the Golden State Warriors in an exhibition opener Wednesday at the Honda Center.

He played on the second team in a scrimmage last Saturday but rewarded Phil Jackson's decision to start him Wednesday with 20 points in the first half and four dunks as he ripped through the Warriors' undersized front line.

It's a safe bet he'll start the season at center despite an unremarkable effort in the Lakers' playoff run last season.

" 'Drew will start," Jackson said. "I think that's important for him and I think it's important for us to get that big front out there that makes teams have to take a double look."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers8-2009oct08,0,2026863.story

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 09:15 AM
No, that isn't true. Only reason he didn't start one scrimage is because Mbenga was out hurt and Pau and Bynum had to match up against each other. Biggest non-story of the preseason by the LA Times (which sucks BTW - Kevin Ding in the OC Registar is all that matters).

No way Bynum should be benched because of how he played hurt in the playoffs. Fucking idiots.

So, that Ding guy was full of shit after all.

2Cleva
10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
So, that Ding guy was full of shit after all.

Ding never said Bynum was coming off the bench. Original speculation was from the Times.

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
[[[http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/20...y-night/22861/ (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/20...y-night/22861/)

According to Kevin Ding, its gonna be:

Fisher
Bryant
Artest
Odom
Gasol

Sweet! :toast]]]

Clev, so the above is bogus?

all_heart
10-08-2009, 09:32 AM
This is one of the biggest reasons I liked the Artest trade. As i watched some the game tonight I felt incredibly confident even when Kobe & Pau were on the bench...I know this was just a preseason game but I can tell that Artest, LO, & Bynum will be able to handle a lot of the load when the Lakers are not playing the elite teams. I really liked Ariza but he always made me nervous when he wasnt playing with the starters since he cannot create his own shot. I've never seen Phil smile so much haha hopefully he shows Ron how to meditate so everything runs smoothly this year :lol

Don't get all excited, you were playing the pre-season warriors.. but hey enjoy the feeling while you still can..:rolleyes

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't get all excited, you were playing the pre-season warriors.. but hey enjoy the feeling while you still can..:rolleyes

Well, not all of us can have the feeling of ToD like yourself, so we takes what we can gets=:lobt2:

Obstructed_View
10-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Kobe should get a ton of rest. After all, he only played 29 minutes in the first preseason game...

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Kobe should get a ton of rest. After all, he only played 29 minutes in the first preseason game...

Maybe they're gonna do "a Riley"===defend it twixt October & June.:wow

mystargtr34
10-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Pre-season should allow Phil to determine who else outside of the big 5 can contribute more. After all, Kobe only took 17 shots in those 29 minutes.

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Pre-season should allow Phil to determine who else outside of the big 5 can contribute more. After all, Kobe only took 17 shots in those 29 minutes.

See:

Post #10.

tee, hee.

2Cleva
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
[[[http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/20...y-night/22861/ (http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/20...y-night/22861/)

According to Kevin Ding, its gonna be:

Fisher
Bryant
Artest
Odom
Gasol

Sweet! :toast]]]

Clev, so the above is bogus?

1 - Bad link. Correct one is this - http://lakers.freedomblogging.com/2009/10/05/odom-ran-the-table-with-the-starters-saturday-night/22861/

2 - Here is the text

The Lakers got Sunday off, but only five guys really earned it.

The “starting” five of Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom, Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher blew through all comers in the team’s Saturday night scrimmage.

“We ran the table,” Gasol said.

Said Phil Jackson: “They had a pretty good run, and they were very anxious about beating up on all the other guys. So that was good for them.”

Shannon Brown said his unit that included Andrew Bynum and Sasha Vujacic couldn’t keep up. Jackson said he couldn’t remember anything in particular about Artest’s play, although Bynum had one spectacular two-dribble drive and finish.

Jackson, you know by now, puts a lot more stock in who finishes games (Odom) than who starts them (Bynum, presumably), and the coach reiterated that Odom gives the Lakers a lot of familiarity and “non-verbal” teamwork, especially on defense, even as much as Bynum wishes to crack that regular late-game rotation. Jackson likes how “mobile and agile” the Lakers are in late-game pick-and-roll or dribble-penetration opponents when Odom is out there with Gasol.

“They know pretty much how to cover and recover for themselves,” Jackson said.

So someone read 2 sentences of a post, ignored the " " and ran with it.

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 10:41 AM
1 - Bad link. Correct one is this - So someone read 2 sentences of a post, ignored the " " and ran with it.

Understood.

Thanks.

Spur-Addict
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Artest Trade? Huh?

Could've sworn it was a FA signing.