PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden is impressive again in Blazers' second win in row

tlongII
10-08-2009, 05:56 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/portland_89_sacramento_86_greg.html

SACRAMENTO -- There is a tendency around the Trail Blazers to be careful about what is said about Greg Oden. Nobody wants to apply pressure on the 21-year-old center. Nobody wants to raise expectations any higher than they already are for the former No. 1 pick.

But on Wednesday, after the Blazers second preseason game this season, nobody needed to say anything about Oden. The play of the new-look center is speaking volumes.

With a lighter frame, and a brighter outlook, Oden continued his resurgent comeback campaign with 20 points and 12 rebounds during the Blazers' 89-86 win over Sacramento at Arco Arena.

After averaging 8.9 points and 7.0 rebounds in a rookie season that even Oden considered disappointing, the 7-foot center has not only improved, he has vaulted into the forefront of both the team's offensive and defensive arsenal.

In two preseason games, Oden is leading the Blazers in scoring (19.0 average) and rebounding (10.5) while hitting 11 of 20 shots from the field and 16 of 19 free throws.

But it is so much more than just statistics. Oden looks good.

In the preseason opener, he completed a spin move that left Sacramento center Spencer Hawes off-balance and guarding air. On Wednesday, he showed both power and agility, once powering through Kenny Thomas for a two-handed dunk, then later tipping an offensive rebound to himself through two defenders. Once he corralled the ball, he spun and completed a delicate left-handed layup in traffic.

Late in the fourth quarter, Oden had perhaps his best flourish in his short career. On one possession, he took an entry pass, faced up, and exploded to his right, past Jon Brockman and through the lane for a powerful dunk. On the next possession, he went high to catch a lob from Andre Miller, which he dunked.

"It's going to be hard to keep Greg out of the starting lineup," team leader Brandon Roy said before the first preseason game. "He is playing really good. That's not to say Joel (Przybilla) is not, but Greg is playing at a really high level."

Around the Blazers, the common refrain about Oden is that "he put his work in this summer" and is reaping the benefits. That is in reference to the summer workout sessions Oden had with teammate Jerryd Bayless and assistant Bill Bayno in Columbus, Ohio.

Oden made that commitment on the team's plane ride home after being eliminated by Houston in the first round of the playoffs. Oden averaged 5.0 points and 4.3 rebounds in the six playoff games, and his missed dunk in the final game seemed to perfectly punctuate his season.

During the flight, teammate LaMarcus Aldridge remembers Oden vowing to come back a different player.

"My season started back in the summer, three weeks after the season when Jerryd Bayless came to Columbus," Oden said Wednesdsay. "That's when things started. I was preparing to have a better season than last year, because I didn't feel I had the best playoff series. Especially that last game. It was terrible for me. It was definitely something I was thinking about for a long time all summer."

So far, both of the Blazers' preseason games have come against Sacramento, a rebuilding team that won 17 games last season and doesn't have a formidable center. Still, Oden has not only overpowered them, he matched their quickness.

"You can tell his body has definitely changed," said Hawes, the Kings' center. "It's back to how I remember it when I played against him in high school. The athleticism and speed is back, that's the biggest thing I've noticed."

Tuesday's spin move on Hawes was the first peek at Oden's improvement for Blazers fans. And it came as somewhat of relief to McMillan, who has been biting his tongue about what he has been seeing everyday in practice.

"I'm just going with the flow," McMillan said when asked the morning before the game to describe Oden's progress. "To say that he has arrived, by what he has done in practice ... let's get into the game, measure that, and then let's build off that."

The next night, in Sacramento, McMillan smiled at Oden's complete debut. He had a free-throw area jumper, a short hook, and a leaping block. And, of course, the spin move.

"That," McMillan said, "was a great move. I just think his conditioning is better -- he is lighter -- and he has that confidence. But that move, I expect to see more of that."

Oden, in his own quiet manner, said he is confident he can provide that for his coach. He says he is healthy, in condition and confident -- three things he was never able to accomplish last season.

"I still have work to do," Oden said. "But I'm a lot better than last year."

Notes: Former Blazers guard Sergio Rodriguez missed a potential game-tying three-pointer from the top of the key as time expired. The Blazers led by 12 entering the fourth quarter, but held on, thanks in part to a steal by Miller of a pass by Rodriguez with 29 seconds and the team leading 89-86. However, Miller missed a jumper with 4.3 seconds left, setting up a final shot by the Kings. ... Veteran Juwan Howard had an impressive debut, hitting 7 of 8 shots and finishing with 14 points and four rebounds in 29 minutes. ... Also debuting for the Blazers were Jarron Collins (five points) and rookie Dante Cunningham, who went scoreless in six minutes. ... Kevin Martin led the Kings with 28 points and rookie Tyreke Evans had 14 points.

tlongII
10-08-2009, 09:55 AM
http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/oden-shines-again_7297.html

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bt_AXr_u6rQ/Ss1_y5VQZ7I/AAAAAAAABWA/AKr-DYRAdI0/s1600/odenjam.jpg

"This is going to be my time. Time to taste the fruits and let the juices drip down my chin. I proclaim this the preseason of Greg!"

-

Okay, the quote was lifted from George Costanza, as he was proclaiming the "summer of George," but work with me here (and, I'm sure this will turn out better than the "summer of George.").

And, yes, this is just the exhibition season, and both games have been against the Sacramento Kings, who aren't exactly big and talented in the middle. But, it's certainly okay to be a little excited with what we saw Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

After going for 18 points and 9 rebounds against the Kings on Tuesday at home, Oden scored 20 points and grabbed 12 rebounds in Portland's 89-86 victory at Arco. It took him just 26 minutes to compile the numbers this time, and he did it in a starting role. He got 10 of his points from the foul line on Tuesday (going 10 for 12), and Wednesday he went 6 for 7 at the line.

Nate McMillan is clearly using this time, early in the exhibition schedule, to see exactly what he's got in this new-and-improved Oden. Perhaps no one player is more important to Portland's long-term plans. We know what we're going to get from Roy and Aldridge, and even newcomer Andre Miller will be his old steady self. It's Oden we've watched so closely since day one of camp.

I've tried to temper what exactly I've seen from Greg since camp opened, but now that you're seeing it as well, it's at least justifying the excitement I've been feeling for the last 9 days.

Blazer assistant Bill Bayno, who acted as Oden's shadow over the summer, has put it best on a number of occasions, saying simply "if you've put in the work, and you're ready, you come with a whole new level of confidence." We've seen the confidence, and we've seen a player who is comfortable, and decisive.

Time will tell just how dominant he'll be when the regular season rolls around, but this is clearly a big step in the right direction, and exactly what we needed to see in the first two games.

I spoke about Portland's depth following Tuesday night's game, and on Wednesday the Blazers played without Rudy Fernandez, Travis Outlaw, Nicolas Batum, and Joel Przybilla. This is not to take anything away from those guys, but you hardly missed them. That's the depth we're talking about.

Five Blazers scored in double figures in this game. Oden had his 20, and Juwan Howard had a very efficient 14 points, on 7 of 8 shooting. The 15-year vet came to camp in great shape, and knew he was signed for his leadership ability, and that he would basically be an insurance policy for the front line. Since day one, he's shown he can be more than that. Trouble is... how in the world will you find him minutes if everyone stays healthy?

Brandon Roy played 24 minutes on Wednesday, and ended with 13 points. Jerryd Bayless, who's looked good in these first two games, had 11 points, and Andre Miller had 10.

The one negative from Tuesday was that Portland was out rebounded by the Kings. In the second game, the Blazers bounced back from that, and out rebounded Sacramento 37-31. The only negative this time was 22 turnovers. But, that's what the preseason is for, and who is really worried about that?

It's on to Los Angeles now, as the exhibition schedule continues for the Blazers. They'll go through a light practice on Thursday, and Friday night take on the Clippers. This will be a much better test for Oden, who will go up against Chris Kaman, who's a better center than anyone the Kings have.

The 2 and 0 record is fairly meaningless at this point. It's clear though that there several reasons for Blazer fans to love what they've seen so far.

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 09:57 AM
tee, hee. t, getting his desperation on. Shoulda just bumped your first one, daddy-O.

tlongII
10-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Blair went for 16 and 19 with 8 offensive rebounds.

in a 14 point loss at home...

tee, hee.

tlongII
10-08-2009, 10:19 AM
tee, hee. t, getting his desperation on. Shoulda just bumped your first one, daddy-O.

are u skerred?

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 10:21 AM
are u skerred?

Always, t.

jman3000
10-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Only thing that shows is that he's a great FT shooter for his size and that he's a good rebounder.

clambake
10-08-2009, 10:27 AM
he's a preseason beast.

rjv
10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
greg oden=sam bowie

lefty
10-08-2009, 10:31 AM
greg oden=sam bowie
Except that Bowie is younger

lil_penny
10-08-2009, 10:42 AM

tee, hee.

Tlong is killen them this mornin

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Tlong is killen them this mornin

& usin' my shit to aid himself.

Morg1411
10-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Oden will have a great preseason. Congrats, Portland.

Morg1411
10-08-2009, 10:52 AM
[insert sound of crickets here]

koriwhat
10-08-2009, 10:56 AM

tee, hee.

tee hee... who gives a fuck about W's & L's in the preseason? no one should!

btw... i'd take 16pts & 19rbs in 22mins with a 6'7" player then 20pts & 12rbs in 26mins with a 7 footer.

hater
10-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Blair >>>> Oden

and blair is only 6'6 as opposed to Oden's 7 feet
and blair is only 20 years old as opposed to Oden's 45

Culburn369
10-08-2009, 11:00 AM
tee hee... who gives a fuck about W's & L's in the preseason? no one should!

Well, I never did, until I woke up yesterday morning, and found everybody going nutty-nuts over the preseason scoreboard.

Christ, I was actually relieved waking up again this morning and finding the Lakers had: A. won.......& B. Artest hadn't entered the stands.

koriwhat
10-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Well, I never did, until I woke up yesterday morning, and found everybody going nutty-nuts over the preseason scoreboard

and why was that? la fans...

i went to the spurs 1st preseason game...and left happy even with a loss. it's all about evaluation and not winning percentages come preseason.

jazzypimp
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
I think this deserves an "eat shit thong"

lil_penny
10-08-2009, 11:23 AM
& usin' my shit to aid himself.

:lmao

"tee hee" is the new "son":toast

jazzypimp
10-08-2009, 11:31 AM
:lmao

"tee hee" is the new "son":toast

ahh i miss that fat bastard BRhornet.. him and his asanine statements are sorely missed on this forum.. gotta havesome bitches on this board. It's sad when Culburn is here alone trying to hold it down for all the bitches.
And Culburn is givin the bitches a bad name!

ginobili's bald spot
10-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Oden is well on his way to a preseason MVP award. You know what that means in Portland... Time for another parade.

DBMethos
10-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Not leaving the game with an injury is now considered "impressive"?

tlongII
10-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Not leaving the game with an injury is now considered "impressive"?

It is if you believe what Spurs and Lakers fans post.

lefty
10-08-2009, 03:53 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/7/13/128920132737508566.jpg