PDA

View Full Version : Phantom of the Opera SEQUEL launched

angel_luv
10-08-2009, 10:05 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/phantom-sequel-launched-1799633.html

Phantom sequel launched

By Vicky Shaw, Press Association

Thursday, 8 October 2009

Andrew Lloyd Webber launched the long-awaited sequel today to his global smash hit Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies, which will see the action move from Paris to a New York fairground.

The show was unveiled at Her Majesty's Theatre in London, where Phantom, which has been seen by some 100 million people worldwide, opened 23 years ago tomorrow.

The new production, which has been almost two decades in the making, will continue the story of the Phantom, who has moved from his lair in the Paris Opera House to haunt the sinister and exotic world of New York's Coney Island.

The tale is set 10 years after the mysterious disappearance of the Phantom from Paris.

Ramin Karimloo will star as the Phantom in Love Never Dies, having already taken on the role in the Phantom of the Opera in London.

Sierra Boggess will play Christine, having made her Broadway debut creating the lead role of Ariel in Disney's The Little Mermaid.

Summer Strallen, who was planted by Lord Lloyd-Webber in teen soap Hollyoaks before playing Maria in The Sound of Music, will play Meg Giry.

Lord Lloyd-Webber said that the idea for the sequel had been around 17 years in the making, but it was Ben Elton who helped him create a story that would work three years ago.

The theatre impresario said: "It is the love story that is the essence of the piece. I tried to develop that story as much as I can."

He continued: "I don't regard this as a sequel. I regard this as a completely stand-alone piece ...

"There are practically no quotes from the original show at all. It's a completely new show."

Asked if there was room for more Phantom shows, Lord Loyd-Webber said: "No, there's not going to be a sequel set in Tahiti... I can't give away the ending but I can't see that the story could possibly continue."

He said the music had some reference to Coney Island, with a "little bit of Vaudeville".

Love Never Dies will have its world premiere in London at the Adelphi Theatre on March 9 2010 and in New York on November 11 2010.

The Phantom of the Opera, based on the French novel by Gaston Leroux, is the most successful entertainment entity in history, according to those behind the show.

The production originally starred Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford.

It has won around 50 awards worldwide and spawned more than 40 million album sales.

Lord Lloyd-Webber declined to name the venue in New York where the show will play and said it was possible that more productions will open worldwide at around the same time.

"We did have the idea of opening the show simultaneously in three different countries... But your first casting is so crucial that we didn't want to take that risk," he said.

Asked if he missed The Phantom, he said: "Not particularly. When we were beginning to talk about it again I thought there was unfinished business. But I really would not be sitting here now if I did not think this was a great story."

He said he enjoyed setting the story in the new context of Coney Island, which was like an "eighth wonder of the world" 100 years ago - "exotic ... sinister and slightly macabre".

He said that in the new tale the Phantom "arrived as one of the freaks but built himself up to being the A1 man".

But he said the Phantom was also "pining for the love of his life".

He also gave reassurances that the production would not clash with his commitments to the new BBC1 talent search for his West End show The Wizard of Oz. The search for Dorothy will begin with auditions early next year.

Lord Lloyd-Webber said: "It doesn't clash ... It's not an issue."

He also told journalists he had "no idea" what the budget for the show was.

Asked how he would measure the new production's success, he said: "I'm very happy with it as a piece, that's enough for me."

A Love Never Dies album will be released the day after the world premiere in London.

Lord Lloyd-Webber raised piracy fears about releasing the accompanying album beforehand.

He said it is a "totally different world today ... This is the real difficulty".

Original Phantom producer Sir Cameron Mackintosh and Brightman had heard the new piece and Sir Cameron was "incredibly supportive", he said.

"Sarah gave us some really excellent notes about a couple of things. She loved it."

Karimloo performed a new song from the show called Til I Hear You Sing.

Boggess was previously chosen by Lord Lloyd-Webber to play the role of Christine in a production of Phantom - The Las Vegas Spectacular.

The 27-year-old, who lives in New York, said of herself and her co-star: "Neither of us are nervous, we're really excited."

She said she had had "a lovely aria written for me which is the title of the show Love Never Dies.

"It's beautiful and it's incredibly passionate."

Karimloo, who performed without make-up and the Phantom's mask today, said prototypes for the mask were being developed.

The star, 31, said he thought of his character as someone with Asperger's Syndrome.

Rehearsals for the show will begin in January and tickets are priced at £25 to £67.50.

I. Hustle
10-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't watch secular stuff. I guess I just love Jesus more than you do.

angel_luv
10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
If you knew Jesus, you would know how happy it makes Him to see people using the talents God gave them.

I look forward to seeing this play.
I would love to see it in London, where I first saw the Phantom of the Opera.

clambake
10-08-2009, 10:11 AM
serial killing is a talent.

desflood
10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
:elephant:cheer:tu:drool::worthy::clap:downspin:

I. Hustle
10-08-2009, 10:14 AM
If you knew Jesus, you would know how happy it makes Him to see people using the talents God gave them.

You aren't talking about the talents that were given to those people so that they can glorify Him but instead they use to glorify murder, lust, and coveting are you? Are you talking about those talents?

I. Hustle
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Don't get upset about me bringing you to the light AL. I was only kidding.

angel_luv
10-08-2009, 10:38 AM
:elephant:cheer:tu:drool::worthy::clap:downspin:

I saw some of the footage on the news this morning. It looks fantastic!

I. Hustle
10-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Don't ignore me!!!!!

koriwhat
10-08-2009, 11:04 AM
more crap... snooze fest!

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Coney Island? Fucking sweet! Hopefully they'll spin this into a trilogy with the third leg being a musical adaptation of The Warriors.

MiamiHeat
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
This movie will be unmasked for the cash cow that it is.

I. Hustle
10-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Wait a second! I thought you emo fags liked that crap.

MiamiHeat
10-08-2009, 04:14 PM
You are closer to an "emo fag" than I am

PakiDan
10-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Coney Island? Fucking sweet! Hopefully they'll spin this into a trilogy with the third leg being a musical adaptation of The Warriors.

Dear sir, please contact me about my offer to compile your quotes into a single collection... leather bound, and packaged for sale.

I. Hustle
10-08-2009, 04:24 PM
You are closer to an "emo fag" than I am

Even if I was next to you I can never be closer to you than you are to yourself. Unless your soul is so sad that it removed itself from the rest of you.

jack sommerset
10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
This is like the Michael Jordan question. Are you going to remember him as a 6 time winner or the old man playing for the Wizards.? They should just leave this one alone. I doubt this sequel will even be close to the orginal.

MiamiHeat
10-08-2009, 04:29 PM
If you were next to me, you'd be dwarfed by my testosterone behavior and manly burly looks.

People would point to you and know you only as the "that little guy"

desflood
10-08-2009, 07:04 PM
NOT a movie. Stage musical. You know, theatre?