PDA

View Full Version : Blinebury: Big difference for Jefferson lies in the 'Spurs way'

duncan228
10-08-2009, 02:47 PM
Big difference for Jefferson lies in the 'Spurs way' (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/10/08/spurs.jefferson/)
Fran Blinebury
NBA.com

SAN ANTONIO -- The first time Richard Jefferson walked onto the practice floor with his new teammates, he could feel it.

The first time Coach Gregg Popovich blew his whistle and barked out a command, Jefferson could hear it.

The first time he glanced up at the Spurs' four NBA championship banners hanging from the wall at the practice facility, he could see it.

A difference.

It's in the way the Spurs carry themselves even through the dullest drills of training camp. It's in the way they relate to each other just while sitting around together in the chill of the cold tub or the warmth of the Jacuzzi following practice.

"Oh yes, definitely. There's a Spurs way, an attitude that I could spend the rest of the afternoon talking about and trying to describe," Jefferson said. "I'm not saying it's better than everybody else's way of doing things. It's just their way that makes them unique."

Quite fitting then, since it is the arrival of Jefferson that is expected to make the Spurs stand out from the pack again. After an injury-plagued season that had Duncan, Ginobili and Parker all on the shelf at various times and a dismal first-round playoff loss to Dallas, the 29-year-old swingman is regarded as the prescription to cure what ails the Spurs.

"If we didn't do the Jefferson thing, we'd all have fallen asleep during training camp from the excitement," cracked Popovich.

"I think we were beginning to lag behind as far as talent and depth were concerned...And he was the key to what we needed to do this summer. We needed to make a trade for somebody who would instantaneously inject more talent and offense more than anything. He was the guy."

The Spurs' reputation as one of the league's top defensive teams took a hit over the past two seasons as their rankings in opponents' field goal percentage and points allowed drifted closer to the middle of the pack.

However, much of the problem actually grew out of a lack of offense, because two-fifths of the old starting lineup -- Bruce Bowen and Fabricio Oberto -- were often non-contributors. That not only increased the scoring burden on Duncan, Ginobili and Parker, but forced the Spurs to try to play defense for too long on too many possessions.

Even if Jefferson isn't quite the same high-flier who helped the New Jersey Nets reach the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003, he still has the quickness and athleticism to juice up the Spurs' attack.

"Maybe Tony will have a little bit more of an open lane because I'm in the corner," Jefferson said. "Or maybe they'll be a little less hesitant to double Tim Duncan, because I'm driving down the lane. Of course, those things they're doing will also open up things for me. I'm gonna have more 1-on-1 coverage because guys will be afraid to leave Manu."

The Spurs have also added veterans Antonio McDyess, Theo Ratliff and Keith Bogans, along with second-round steal DeJuan Blair in their extreme home makeover.

But there are boats and there are boats -- the Queen Mary 2 and the S.S Minnow -- and there is no doubt that Jefferson is the key part of the renovation. He is, after all, the one who required team owner Peter Holt to dig deep to take on the $29 million for the two years left on his contract that got him out of one season of limbo in Milwaukee and sent the Spurs soaring over the luxury tax threshold.

"One of the things I took pride in during my time in New Jersey is we helped change the image of that franchise," Jefferson said. "We re-made that franchise over during a six-year stretch -- playoffs every year, second round every year but one, four division titles, two NBA Finals.

"Even though we didn't win a championship, they had no banners until that group I came in with got there. When I left, they had four division banners and two Eastern Conference banners hanging up there. That's pretty good for a team that previously won 26 games."

One of those huge world championship banners in his new gym is from when the Spurs beat Jefferson's Nets in the 2003 Finals.

"Yeah, it kind of makes your little Eastern Conference banners look a little bit dinky when you see these," he said. "But it's really cool to come in here and look at them. It's cool even to see that 2003 banner from the Finals that we lost to them. You come here to practice every day and see what they did to win, those people that beat you."

Now he tries to keep up with them, tries to raise his level to keep raising their level.

"You find out real soon," said Jefferson, "it's what they expect around here."

A difference.

Video: Richard Jefferson - Spurs Media Day 2009

YuR68_CAyt8

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/fran_blinebury/10/08/spurs.jefferson/

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 03:05 PM
He sure does give himself a lot of credit for turning the Nets around.

Fun Fact: The Nets never won more than 50 games....and this was in the East and its lowest point.

Fun Fact #2: Jefferson's arrival was coincidently the same year Jason Kidd arrived.

DPG21920
10-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Once again, you sound like you do not know what you are talking about. Once again, par for the course with Suns fans.

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Once again, you sound like you do not know what you are talking about. Once again, par for the course with Suns fans.

Once again, ad hominem arguments. :lol

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Ive been watching RJ since we were both in high school (in Phoenix).

One thing you'll learn quick: He LOVES to talk. Usually about himself.

I give him credit for at least trying to avoid the mind-less cliches we hear from players over and over again.

DPG21920
10-08-2009, 03:16 PM
This from the guy who says Ariza can do more than RJ :rolleyes

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 03:19 PM
This from the guy who says Ariza can do more than RJ :rolleyes

Me? Or John Hollinger?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?sort=per&qual=true&pos=sf&seasonType=2&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fsort%3dper%26qual%3dtr ue%26pos%3dsf%26seasonType%3d2

OWNED!

DPG21920
10-08-2009, 03:29 PM
You are seriously sad. Is Bynum better than Kobe?

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 03:31 PM
You are seriously sad. Is Bynum better than Kobe?

You'll have show me the season in which Bynum had the higher PER than Kobe.

Oh wait. That didnt happen. Hollinger stated that the PROJECTED PER would be higher than Kobe's.

I dont care either way. The point is you sound like a total dipshit calling me out for being clueless when the biggest NBA statistician on the planet said the exact same thing.

Why dont you stop now before you get owned for a third time in this thread.

DPG21920
10-08-2009, 03:34 PM
You are sad. Using Hollinger as a reference and actually thinking it has credibility shows everyone just how smart you are. Quit trolling girl.

rjv
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM
"Yeah, it kind of makes your little ...conference banners look a little bit dinky when you see these,"

suns and mavs fans know that feeling all too well

Shifty
10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Lets go back to the article please. If you are going to fight forever at least keep it within the scope of the topic we are in.

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 03:44 PM
You are sad. Using Hollinger as a reference and actually thinking it has credibility shows everyone just how smart you are. Quit trolling girl.

I dont claim that Hollinger's PER formula is the be-all, end-all analysis considering the parameters are NBA statistics which arent produced in a controlled environment and arent blocked for as you would in a basic 2^k DOE.

HOWEVER, I think it does a pretty good job identifying players who contribute in multiple areas.

I thought that the Spurs would have been wiser to pursue Ariza and save their money for next season's free agent crop (Bosh/Duncan). I said Ariza fit their needs more and gives them financial flexibility. You act as if I just said the world was flat. So I produce an independent, unbiased analysis by Hollinger that states that Ariza is actually a slightly better player than Jefferson. Youre response is to attack Hollinger's credibility.

Whatever. Im done with you.

DPG21920
10-08-2009, 03:47 PM
lol you, keep trying to defend your position that RJ was a mistake for the Spurs. In ever RJ thread you come around and trash RJ and the move. It makes no sense.

To a certain degree, if RJ was going to be the only move, then you might have a point about missing out on a FA that could get them past the Lakers. Because RJ alone would not be even close enough to get the Spurs past the Lakers. If that was the case, then you could possibly make the argument to wait and go for the "homerun" in Bosh...But with all the moves combined, it was a great move and there was no one the Spurs could realistically get that would be better and fit their needs.

duncan228
10-08-2009, 03:52 PM
The Spurs, (Holt, Buford, Pop), said that they didn't want to wait until next year, there were no guarantees that Bosh, or any other marquee player would be actually be available and come to the Spurs. They didn't want to tread water with what they had and go through another season like last year. They took a calculated risk and made a move now, bringing in a player they think can make a great impact on this team. With the other moves made in the roster over haul I think they did a great job and, if healthy, this team is a contender.

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Why are Suns fans even here anymore?..I understand being here in the 1 year you guys had some kind of a shot at being contenders, but why NOW?..Suns fans should be trolling Grizzlies and Clippers boards, not Spurs boards..that's your competition..

Phoenix Suns NBA Titles: 0
HarlemHeat37's NBA Titles: 0

da_suns_fan
10-08-2009, 04:10 PM
The Spurs, (Holt, Buford, Pop), said that they didn't want to wait until next year, there were no guarantees that Bosh, or any other marquee player would be actually be available and come to the Spurs. They didn't want to tread water with what they had and go through another season like last year. They took a calculated risk and made a move now, bringing in a player they think can make a great impact on this team. With the other moves made in the roster over haul I think they did a great job and, if healthy, this team is a contender.

1) I agree that they are a contender. Probably the only team besides Boston that has an outside chance.

2) I agree that they are better than last year.

3) I dont like the strategy. The RJ trade smells of desperation. I thought the Spurs formula was 3 stars and role players who played defense and hit big shots (or hip checked opposing PGs :p:). Only their stars detoriated as did their role players. So they brought in a guy who isnt a star but wont play (and makes too much) the "role player" role effectively. I think they should have shored up their role players this year and replaced Gino as the third star next year.

4) Forget Bosh or LBJ or Wade etc....I GUARANTEE Joe Johnson will go to whatever team offers him the most money (a very nice Gino replacement for the future). Bringing in Jefferson eliminate any possibility of going after a major player in the free agent market. In fact, I dont see how the Spurs will have any other option besides re-signing Ginobili next year. If they let him walk, they wont be far enough under the cap to get a suitable replacement.

5) I think Ariza would have been PERFECT for the Spurs. He defends, rebounds, hits the three and would have added someone who can run the floor and finsh well for a great price. Just to show Im not a hater, I also think McDyess will be perfect for the Spurs. I LOVED this guy BOTH times he played for the Suns. Its tough to find flaws in Dice's game.

btw - The Suns currently have their own RJ in Jason Richardson. Im currently on a crusade to trade him to ANYONE who will take him but we shot ourselves in the foot taking on that ridiculous contract (and losing Raja Bell and Boris Diaw in the process).

Volume shooters in this league who can dunk are a dime a dozen.

DisciplinaryOffice
10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
One of those huge world championship banners in his new gym is from when the Spurs beat Jefferson's Nets in the 2003 Finals.

Just wrote Fran to remind him that the Spurs were the first team in the NBA to recognize the arrogance of suggesting that a "world championship" could be earned without actually playing the world.

mazerrackham
10-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Just wrote Fran to remind him that the Spurs were the first team in the NBA to recognize the arrogance of suggesting that a "world championship" could be earned without actually playing the world.

That's always annoyed me too...

antimvp
10-08-2009, 04:35 PM
A little less hestitant or a little more hesitant? were do these guys go to school?

DisciplinaryOffice
10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
That's always annoyed me too...

Right. Having moved beyond that relic of sporting jingoism, it's a little irritating to see that error. NBA Champion banners are one of the many great things about the Spurs culture that gets more coverage than comprehension.

exstatic
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
3) I dont like the strategy. The RJ trade smells of desperation. I thought the Spurs formula was 3 stars and role players who played defense and hit big shots (or hip checked opposing PGs :p:). Only their stars detoriated as did their role players. So they brought in a guy who isnt a star but wont play (and makes too much) the "role player" role effectively. I think they should have shored up their role players this year and replaced Gino as the third star next year.

It's a win now move. Duncan has three more years. We needed a scorer to eat some minutes in the regular season for Manu. We needed a defender on the wing. We got both in one player.

4) Forget Bosh or LBJ or Wade etc....I GUARANTEE Joe Johnson will go to whatever team offers him the most money (a very nice Gino replacement for the future). Bringing in Jefferson eliminate any possibility of going after a major player in the free agent market. In fact, I dont see how the Spurs will have any other option besides re-signing Ginobili next year. If they let him walk, they wont be far enough under the cap to get a suitable replacement.

They'll re-sign Ginobili for two years. The team will implode in 2012 without a 30 something Joe Johnson on the cap and keeping the team on the border of the lottery.

5) I think Ariza would have been PERFECT for the Spurs. He defends, rebounds, hits the three and would have added someone who can run the floor and finsh well for a great price. Just to show Im not a hater, I also think McDyess will be perfect for the Spurs. I LOVED this guy BOTH times he played for the Suns. Its tough to find flaws in Dice's game.

Hindsight is 20/20. The Spurs made their moves before the draft. Ariza was to be a RFA, and no one thought LA would let him go and sign Crazy Ron.

btw - The Suns currently have their own RJ in Jason Richardson. Im currently on a crusade to trade him to ANYONE who will take him but we shot ourselves in the foot taking on that ridiculous contract (and losing Raja Bell and Boris Diaw in the process).

Volume shooters in this league who can dunk are a dime a dozen.

If that was all he was, the Spurs never would have acquired him.

z0sa
10-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Getting Richard Jefferson was a great, great move. There's really nothing else to say about it. He's going to be overpaid when its all said and done, but if he plays a big part in bringing another championship to the River City I say --

WGAF?

How many people complained about Holt not reaching deep enough into his pockets? Many have longed for that athletic 3 for years. We definitely got our wing positions covered and in this day and age, offense from the wings gets a lot of help from the refs, especially highfliers like RJ. He'll be taking the load off of mainly Manu and Parker.

The big man situation is still very iffy, especially in terms of offense, except for Tim. A lot of questions marks down there even defensively. A lot of older guys. I know the FO is looking at that and hoping for health.

The Truth #6
10-08-2009, 07:49 PM
RJ is cool. I like his interview. I think he will fit in very well to the Spurs culture. Also, I'm glad Pop is reducing the complexity of the System so the new, talented players can focus on their strengths and not worry as much about the arcanity.

SouthTexasRancher
10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Ive been watching RJ since we were both in high school (in Phoenix).

One thing you'll learn quick: He LOVES to talk. Usually about himself.

I give him credit for at least trying to avoid the mind-less cliches we hear from players over and over again.

If us Spurs fans have to choose between Pop's opinion of RJ and some asshole from Phoenix I do believe Pop wins out by around 100%.

BTW, when are your Phoney Suns EVER going to do anything? If I had to live with the Phoney Suns as my NBA team I'd probably be as unhappy as you are. Nah, I'd get off my ass and do something to change my lot in life rather than sit around whining, bitching, complaining and just plain making an ass of myself. :ihit