PDA

View Full Version : Juwan Howard shows he's more than just a wise veteran

tlongII
10-08-2009, 09:15 PM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/10/blazers_notebook_juwan_howard.html

The notion that 36-year-old Juwan Howard is on the Trail Blazers only to provide locker room leadership was somewhat dispelled Wednesday night when the veteran forward not only showed he can still play, but also play well.

Howard had 14 points and four rebounds in 29 minutes during the Blazers' 89-86 win at Sacramento on Wednesday and he did it while hitting 7-of-8 shots, many of them baseline jumpers. He was also an important cog in the offense, working on eye contact with Andre Miller to communicate when to set screens, while also producing crisp and heady passes.

"He's not just here to be that vet and sit around," coach Nate McMillan said. "You know, if something happens, we are going to need him."

Nobody is getting carried away and starting to think the 15-year veteran is ready to crack the playing rotation. The Blazers are adequately equipped at power forward with LaMarcus Aldridge and Travis Outlaw. But McMillan said if an injury arises, or if he needs some toughness and experience for short spurts, he won't hesitate to use the 6-foot-9, 250-pound Howard.

Howard, who turns 37 in February, credits his dedication to staying in shape as the reason he remains relevant on such a deep and talented Blazers team. Last season, he played in 42 games (three with Denver, 39 with Charlotte) averaging 4.1 points and 1.8 rebounds.

On Wednesday, he looked more like the Howard of 2006-2007, who played a key role with Houston while averaging 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds in 80 games.

"I take pride as far as what I do in the offseason," Howard said. "My first priority is to stay in tip-top shape, and second is to contribute to whatever team wants my services. That being said I came here to contribute, and whatever my role, I will welcome it. But I feel like I haven't missed a beat."

Rebound, rebound, rebound: An early point of emphasis for the Blazers has been the poor job of rebounding from anyone not named Greg Oden (10.5 rebounds) or Joel Przybilla (6.0) in the first two preseason games.

Power forward LaMarcus Aldridge has averaged 25.5 minutes, but has games of five rebounds and three rebounds. Small forward Martell Webster is averaging 25 minutes but has games of three and two rebounds. Guard Brandon Roy is averaging 25.5 minutes and has games of two rebounds and one rebound.

"We are trying to change our mindset here with our forwards to rebound the ball," McMillan said. "We have always relied on our centers to get the boards – the (first preseason game) the centers had 15 – but we need to get our forward and guards in there to rebound."

The Blazers last season were the NBA's top offensive rebounding team, but were 27th out of 30 teams in defensive rebounding, a deficiency that McMillan has frequently brought to his team's attention. In the first two games against the Kings, the Blazers had 52 defensive rebounds to the Kings' 50.

Oden's flying feet: McMillan continues to be pleased with the progress of Oden, who is leading the team in scoring (19.5 points) and rebounding (10.5). But what is really standing out is the footwork of the 7-foot center.

Oden has pulled off two explosive moves – one a spin move to his right that resulted in his being fouled at the rim in the preseason opener, and another in which he executed a powerful dribble-drive to his right through the key that resulted in a two-handed dunk.

"And the thing is, he is doing both of those moves without traveling, which is hard to do in this league," McMillan said. "Because they almost automatically call that in this league. But his footwork has been good, and quick, that he isn't traveling. He is able to explode now, which we didn't see last year."

djohn2oo8
10-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I guess if the Boogeyman wore a blazer's uniform, we'd have to hear about him too

WildcardManu
10-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I guess if the Boogeyman wore a blazer's uniform, we'd have to hear about him too

:lmao

JamStone
10-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm heavily anticipating the article about how Jeff Pendergraph loves bird watching and racing mopeds.

Spursfan092120
http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Graphics/Players/sam_bowie5.jpg

tlongII
I'm heavily anticipating the article about how Jeff Pendergraph loves bird watching and racing mopeds.

I'm looking for it...

lil_penny
10-08-2009, 11:47 PM

Damn I never realized how lanky bowie was.. or maybe his torso was that of a dwarf.

The Franchise
10-08-2009, 11:50 PM

His knees look ready to explode in this picture.

Spursfan092120
10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Damn I never realized how lanky bowie was.. or maybe his torso was that of a dwarf.
little bit of both I think.

TDMVPDPOY
10-09-2009, 12:12 AM
mayeb he should tech the young failblazers the shoulder charge

iggypop123
10-09-2009, 01:57 AM
hey tlong how my ass taste
http://blog.oregonlive.com/blazers/2008/04/darius-miles.jpg