PDA

View Full Version : Man, 81, finishes race after borrowing a catheter

mrsmaalox
10-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Man, 81, finishes race after borrowing a catheter

MINNEAPOLIS – Organizers of the Twin Cities Marathon said they won't disqualify an 81-year-old runner who won his age group after using a borrowed catheter. Jerry Johncock of Shelbyville, Mich., was sidelined at an aid station about 21 miles into Sunday's race because a blood clot prevented him from urinating. The aid station had no catheter, but a spectator stepped forward to offer Johncock a catheter he had in his car.

Aides helped insert the catheter and Johncock went on to finish in a little over 5 hours 22 minutes.

Race officials considered disqualifying Johncock because of a rule against improper assistance. But executive director Virginia Brophy Achman said they decided Johncock didn't break the rule.

She called Johncock "a great role model and example of what you can do as a runner."

Johncock's wife, Dorlene, said her husband was cheered by the ruling. She said he found the whole situation a little humorous.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091009/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_marathon_catheter_2

mrsmaalox
10-09-2009, 09:43 AM
This story is weird all the way around I think. Should an 81 yr old man be running marathons when he's pissing blood clots? Who would "borrow" a catheter? Gross. And his name is Johncock :)

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I realize it's a seniors race, but what the hell kind real competition could he have been up against if he has time to stop, borrow and insert a catheter, and piss blood before going on to win it all?

boutons_deux
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
A guy name Johncock can't use the john because his cock is clotted?

sonic21
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I can't imagine that borrowing a spare catheter from some stranger's car trunk should in any way be trusted as hygienic

CubanMustGo
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I realize it's a seniors race, but what the hell kind real competition could he have been up against if he has time to stop, borrow and insert a catheter, and piss blood before going on to win it all?

Do you know many 81-year olds who are running marathons? There were probably a handful or less in his age group, which may have been 81-85 or something like that.