PDA

View Full Version : #2 Seed May be Better

dbreiden83080
04-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I think the 2 seed will be better than the one ultimately. The rockets have a huge game on sat at home with the nuggets that will probably decide the 6 and 7 seed they are 1 and 1 against eachother this year so that is the tiebreak. The way Denver is playing they will probably win that game and get the 6 seed. the 6 puts them up against seattle who they will definately beat the sonics are about a .500 team this last month of the season. The Suns would then get stuck playing the Nuggets in the 2nd round since they would be the 6 and spurs would play the Rockets and then the winner of the 4 and 5 seed probably Dallas no easy task there either. However the Nuggets are the hottest team and i know i would like to avoid them at all costs.

orhe
04-14-2005, 01:07 PM
well
either one of them would suffice
its just my belief that the spurs really need a tough 1st round opponent.
if they get through that i don't think there's anyone who could stop us

MadDog73
04-14-2005, 01:32 PM
OK, maybe I'm just confused, but wouldn't the Suns play the winner of the 4 & 5th seed if they were number one? (mavs or Kings?)

Spurs would end up playing Nuggets in 2nd round in your scenario (2nd seed vs winner of 3rd & 6th).

If you want to avoid the Nuggets at all costs, you better hope the Spurs get the Number 1 seed, right?

whottt
04-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Wh is everyone acting the damn Nuggets are the 60's Celtics anyway?

Yeah they have been hot...has anyone actually looked at their schedule during that time? Their schedule has been pretty easy, especially since the two times they played us we were without some of our best players...they barely beat us without Duncan and Manu.

And the toughest team they have played that was healthy, the Suns, they didn't beat...either time.

What's the big deal?

They got Camby, KMart and Nene? We got Duncan, Rasho and Horry...who would you rather have?

They got Carmelo? We got Manu....if you want to see which one can do more to help a team win please go back and watch the Olympics...

They got Boykins? We got Parker...

The Nuggets won't be winning an NBA title this year...

CHAMPS AGAIN
04-14-2005, 02:18 PM
Wh is everyone acting the damn Nuggets are the 60's Celtics anyway?

Yeah they have been hot...has anyone actually looked at their schedule during that time? Their schedule has been pretty easy, especially since the two times they played us we were without some of our best players...they barely beat us without Duncan and Manu.

And the toughest team they have played that was healthy, the Suns, they didn't beat...either time.

What's the big deal?

They got Camby, KMart and Nene? We got Duncan, Rasho and Horry...who would you rather have?

They got Carmelo? We got Manu....if you want to see which one can do more to help a team win please go back and watch the Olympics...

They got Boykins? We got Parker...

The Nuggets won't be winning an NBA title this year...

I agree with you I want the nuggets in the first round SPURS will win in 5 games

whottt
04-14-2005, 02:20 PM
I'd rather face the Nuggets than the Mavs, Sonics, Suns, or Rockets...

Rummpd
04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
Whott = Great Post.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-14-2005, 07:50 PM
I think the 2 seed will be better than the one ultimately. The rockets have a huge game on sat at home with the nuggets that will probably decide the 6 and 7 seed they are 1 and 1 against eachother this year so that is the tiebreak. The way Denver is playing they will probably win that game and get the 6 seed. the 6 puts them up against seattle who they will definately beat the sonics are about a .500 team this last month of the season. The Suns would then get stuck playing the Nuggets in the 2nd round since they would be the 6 and spurs would play the Rockets and then the winner of the 4 and 5 seed probably Dallas no easy task there either. However the Nuggets are the hottest team and i know i would like to avoid them at all costs.

If your hope is to avoid the Nuggets then your scenario is way off.

It would be Nuggets v. Sonics in round 1, and the winner would play the 2-seeded Spurs in round 2.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
I'd rather face the Nuggets than the Mavs, Sonics, Suns, or Rockets...

The thing that worries me about the spurs/nuggets series is How mobile will Tims ankle be? and the way the nuggets are playing i'd rather have a easier first round series win it in 4 or 5 games and then that would give Duncan some more rest for his ankle.

I think the spurs would beat the nuggets, but i would have that series going 6 or 7 games if Duncan wasnt 100%

My dream 1st round is Suns vs. Memphis
Spurs vs. Kings
Seatle Vs. Houston/Denver
Dallas vs Houston/Denver

IceColdBrewski
04-14-2005, 08:06 PM
What's with all this ducking and dodging crap. Some of y'all could just about lay an egg if you really concentrated.

Bottom line. If we can't go on the road and win against the best teams in the league, we don't deserve to be celebrating a Championship.

Go-spurs-Go
04-15-2005, 02:48 AM
I agree with Whott. I rather face Nuggets at the 1st round. The fact that they play well in the season does not mean that they'll be hot in the playoff. I think if we play our "playoff-type" of defence, we can surely stop Nuggets' transition game. And, if we can control the pace of the game (to make Nuggets playing half-court game), there is no way they can beat us in a 7-game series.

When it comes to playoff, it is a totally different matter. I think the 2 toughest teams to beat in the playoff are: the Mavs and the Rockets.

slayermin
04-15-2005, 02:53 AM
Sac has two games with the Suns. That is going to decide the no. 7 seed, IMO.

Mr. Body
04-15-2005, 02:55 AM
To answer the question of the post: yes, the #2 may be better, for the simple fact that they get paired with the #3, which will be the Sonics, who are limping into the playoffs, looking wretched. They could get knocked out in the first round, in which case the 2 seed faces the 6 seed. Not too bad, there.

I feel this may be the ultimate fate of the 3 division set-up. The #3 seeds will often be weaker than the #4 and #5, possibly not even up to the task of beating the #6 seed, hailing from an other division. This would mean, in most playoffs, the #2 seed might have the advantage. Food for thought.

MadDog73
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
To answer the question of the post: yes, the #2 may be better, for the simple fact that they get paired with the #3, which will be the Sonics, who are limping into the playoffs, looking wretched. They could get knocked out in the first round, in which case the 2 seed faces the 6 seed. Not too bad, there.

Thing is, it's really hard to judge these things. If the Nuggets end up 6th seed, then would it be better to face the Mavs/Kings?

I can't see teams purposely trying to get the 2nd seed or anything.
I agree with others saying it doesn't matter WHO you face.

Just win, baby!

boutons
04-15-2005, 08:49 AM
"Why is everyone acting the damn Nuggets are the 60's Celtics anyway?"

... because the Nuggest are having one hell of a 2nd half, it's a lot more than simply a "George Karl bounce", and, like the Mavs, are playing with a lot of confidence.

"Talent-talent" isn't the only matchup, it's "confidence-confidence", too. And right now, Mavs and Nuggets matchup very well in confidence vs anybody.

whottt
04-15-2005, 09:44 AM
Look at their schedule...they haven't had a tough schedule as far as the teams they have been playing....

All the good teams they have beaten have had 1 or more of their best players injured...they haven't had to play the Mavs, Pistons, Rockets or Heat...the only good healthy team they have played they lost twice.

Just show me some of their wins that should impress me and I might agree with you...

As for confidence...we were confident last season. and in 91...didn't do us much good did it?

td4mvp21
04-15-2005, 10:16 AM
Thank you, Whott. I want to play the Nuggets in the first round just so people would shut up about them. We'd beat them in 5 just because 1. were the better team and 2. we have more experience.

boutons
04-15-2005, 10:31 AM
"Look at their schedule"

I didn't say any confidence was justified, but playing with confidence and self-belief sure beats playing without it.

"didn't do us much good did it"

A lot of so-called "religious" people have been, for decades, even 100's of years, been pencilling in the Apocalypse on their calendars, planning on departing on comet's tails wearing brand-name sportswear, and generally "drinking the cool-aid", and IT NEVER FUCKING HAPPENED.

Same with sports confidence. If the confident team is falsely confident and their play and skills don't match their confidence, and/or run into another confident team with who is just better, reality will always win out. The great benefit of 7-game series is that the better team wins, no flukey bad bounces, refereeing, etc.

I thought last year the Spurs had all the talent and "system" they needed to go all the way, but the "reality" of Lakers shutting down the paint shook the Spurs' confidence such that they couldn't turn in even average performances for games 3-6. The Spurs lost mentally, not talent-ly.

I have the same "thought" this year. The Spurs have all the skills they need to beat any NBA team, confident Mavs, Nuggets, Pistons, anybody, but I wonder about the Spurs' confidence getting them through the inevitable tough spots.

Winning championships is as much mental, maybe more so, as physical.

Supergirl
04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
The Nuggets are playing well, and have the potential to knock off a higher seed this year, unless that higher seed is the Spurs. As long as we have Duncan, the Nuggets are not nearly as good. Without DUncan, we're about evenly matched. BUt the NUggets are playing well enough that they could knock off the Suns, the Sonics, The Kings, the Grizzlies, or the Rockets. I don't think they're better than Dallas either, who I think is our biggest threat in the postseason, because they're actually playing D. Scary.

wildbill2u
04-15-2005, 11:23 AM
I always whistle when I walk past a cemetary too!

Making lemonade out of lemons by saying we'd be better off in the 2nd seed is tantamount to admitting we aren't as bad as we've thought we were all year, especially with what the recent rash of injuries has done to our rotation at the time we're supposed to be polishing the team.

If we do manage to get out of the West, wouldn't you like to have the best record and seeding in the NBA finals?

MadDog73
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
If we do manage to get out of the West, wouldn't you like to have the best record and seeding in the NBA finals?

Heat lost again last night (With Shaq!), so I'm postive we'll have the best record against every team in the NBA except for the Suns.

At this point, that's the only difference between Number 1 and Number 2 seed - who gets homecourt in WCF.

As for Dallas, anyone else pick up on this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/04/15/mavs.nowitzki.ap/index.html

How bad is Dirk hurt?

boutons
04-15-2005, 12:33 PM
"wouldn't you like to have the best record and seeding in the NBA finals"

Heat have lost 22, Spurs 21, and Spurs have the tie-breaker, so Heat are today 2 L's bchind the Spurs.

Heat lost last night, and have another chance to lose tonight @BOS. And meet their nemesis Pacers Sunday. If it's going to be a Spurs-Heat Finals (probably not), I'm pretty sure it will start @SBC.

ZStomp
04-15-2005, 12:52 PM
I don't care who the Spurs play. Nuggets, Rockets...who cares?!?!

BRING THEM ALL ON.

The Spurs have to play 4 series to get the title. I don't care who its through.

PS. The Nuggets don't scare me at all. I don't care how hot they've been.

ZStomp
04-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Don't want to take easy way much less 'hope' for an easier way. You take it the way it comes.

BALL IN.

Leetonidas
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM
It's a win-win-win situation no matter who we play in the 1st round.

Win #1: Knock Denver's ass back down to earth.

Win #2: Beat the Rockets, and uh...win.

Win #3: Get a gimme from the Kings.

nickbroken
04-15-2005, 03:12 PM
Ya the Nets were hot when we played them for the championship how well did being hot go for them? :rolleyes