PDA

View Full Version : Could Blair play the 3?

dougp
10-09-2009, 10:05 AM
All I keep seeing is how he's undersized as a PF/C - but would he be able to move to the 3 off the bench? His build is like Artest, so do you think he could generate the quickness required to guard a 3? Since he'd be an over sized match up, he'd be able to play in the post.

I just don't want to see another rookie's season laid to waste because of Pop trying to experiment.

Spursfan092120
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
You can listen all day to all the people who say he's undersized, but that means nothing. Karl Malone was "undersized." Magic Johnson played some Power Forward. Dennis Rodman was "undersized." Let the guy play where he's comfortable. Take it from a guy who played...comfort is more important than anything on the court.

The Truth #6
10-09-2009, 10:09 AM
He would be lost on the wing. Playing the 3 would be the experimentation. I say let him rebound and be happy with that.

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Undersized or not, I just don't think he has the lateral mobility to guard a SF out on the perimeter. Plus Blair's game is around the hoop. Anything that would draw him away from fighting for rebounds would be to his detriment. Meanwhile on the other end of the court I don't think his offensive game is enough to really exploit that kind of mismatch in the post.

buttsR4rebounding
10-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Please....he barely has the lateral quicknes to guard a 4 much less a 3, no outside shot to speak of, takes him away from the basket where he excels...how can a guy w/ over 2,000 posts have such a crappy take?

VivaPopovich
10-09-2009, 10:21 AM
All I keep seeing is how he's undersized as a PF/C - but would he be able to move to the 3 off the bench?

No. Who cares. Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman didn't.

raspsa
10-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Not a good idea.. you'd just confuse him. James Gist is an example of a player playing out of his natural position with horrible results.

Darkwaters
10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure if he could play away from the rim or not. But the question is, "why would you want him to?" The guy is best under the hoop for sure. Why break up a good thing?

Agloco
10-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Please....he barely has the lateral quicknes to guard a 4 much less a 3, no outside shot to speak of, takes him away from the basket where he excels...how can a guy w/ over 2,000 posts have such a crappy take?

Gotta love how people equate post counts with Basketball IQ.......

Perhaps he's not watched too much of Blair yet. Granted most of us here know better, but using post counts as as an indicator? :lol

Next time you're tempted to do that, take a look at Ducks or Sequ. :hat

Oh, and to answer the question at hand: No.

NoOptionB
10-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Definately.

With 10 seconds to go where an off. rebound for a second opportunity is a must. Blair could be cashier at the In-Stadium Burger king on the west wing and he will get you that off. rebound.

hater
10-09-2009, 10:56 AM
dude is a tank. would you put a tank on the 3? nope

it would be as embarrasing as putting Bonner on Dirk

Chieflion
10-09-2009, 10:57 AM
The answer is an easy no. Dennis Rodman and Charles Barkley could do it because they are athletic freaks even at their size. Barkley was an one-man wrecking crew who could dribble the court on the break and finish while Rodman, who does not have any offensive game, was used to defend forwards. Blair, on the other hand, does not have half the speed or quickness, handles to do it. Blair would be useless playing the 3.

Hemotivo
10-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Could Blair play the 3?

:lmao

NFGIII
10-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I wouldn't want to take him away fro the rim because his skill set is around it. Rebounding, his scoring and ability to get second chance points are what he brings to this team. I see that dimishing as he moves farther away fromt he rim.

Maybe Pop does experiment with that but probably for a short period of time (I hope).

So to use the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Leave him at 4 and enjoy the production he will bring to it.

NRHector
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
All I keep seeing is how he's undersized as a PF/C - but would he be able to move to the 3 off the bench? His build is like Artest, so do you think he could generate the quickness required to guard a 3? Since he'd be an over sized match up, he'd be able to play in the post.

I just don't want to see another rookie's season laid to waste because of Pop trying to experiment.no

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-09-2009, 11:39 AM
The guy gives you 19 boards in 22 minutes in his first pro game and you want to change that?

I think the main thought behind the question is not any desire to change that but a desire to find some more minutes for the guy. Duncan, Dice, and Bonner all represent known quantities, which Pop always likes. Then there's Mahinmi, who the Spurs will want to take a good hard look at with his contract deadline looming. No one wants to see the team suffer because a guy who can make an impact gets caught in the shuffle.

dougp
10-09-2009, 11:40 AM
It's offseason still, I'm just trying to have some fun ...

People are so easily offended. Here's to Finley being our backup 3!

Darkwaters
10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
The guy gives you 19 boards in 22 minutes in his first pro game and you want to change that?

For once, you're spot on.

Why mess with a good thing?

Darkwaters
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM

I just don't want to see another rookie's season laid to waste because of Pop trying to experiment.

You realize that we traded for Richard Jefferson, right? The search for the elusive SF is more or less over.

But while we're on the subject, do you think Duncan could play the two? He did win the 3 point shooting contest. And think of how his height would be an advantage.

z0sa
10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
We need more depth at the big positions, not less. Fail

DJB
10-09-2009, 11:58 AM
You can listen all day to all the people who say he's undersized, but that means nothing. Karl Malone was "undersized." Magic Johnson played some Power Forward. Dennis Rodman was "undersized." Let the guy play where he's comfortable. Take it from a guy who played...comfort is more important than anything on the court.

:toast

Blackjack
10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
He could probably eat a 3...

Spursfan092120
10-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I posed this question after the first game. Personally, I don't think he's undersized, just a little slow. Make no mistake, if he continues to play the way he's projected to, Bonner, and Theo lose minutes. Tim may play more minutes at the center spot just to give Blair some burn.
Exactly. I'm not one of those Spurs fans who are saying he's going to be a great, but the guy is obviously a beast. We'll see how he does against guys who get more minutes, but to put him at a 3 with 16 and 19 is ridiculous.

dbestpro
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Blair is not a 3. He is not Barkley and he is not Rodman. He is most like Wes Unseld. Unseld was in reality a 6-7 center who went up against 6-11 and 7 foot centers who in my opinion were more capable than the majority of centers of today and he still won an MVP.