PDA

View Full Version : Charley Rosen grades the NBA coaches

tlongII
10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10174230/Not-all-NBA-coaches-make-the-grade

It's universally acknowledged that the NBA is a players' league. Even so, because of the smaller rosters, NBA coaches can have a greater influence on their players than the coaches in MLB and the NFL.

Here, then, is a rundown on the comparative and ultimate value of each of the NBA's coaches.

A-plus coaches
Phil Jackson (Lakers) is the best of the best. It's silly to suggest that his successes are totally due to having superstars on his teams. In truth, every NBA championship team — from Joe Fulks to Kobe, from George Mikan to Shaq, and so on — has featured at least one superstar player. Championship rings are never won by accident.

Gregg Popovich (Spurs) demands discipline and attention to detail and gets players to eagerly buy into his belief system.

A coaches
Nate McMillan is in the process of carefully developing the young Blazers into his own image. That's why all of his players are diligent workers and take full responsibility for their performances.

Jerry Sloan (Jazz) always gets the most out of his players and refuses to make any compromises to do so.

A-minus
Rick Adelman (Rockets) is an excellent tactician who has the flexibility to make any group of players succeed.

B-plus
Scott Brooks (Thunder) is a young coach who's growing along with his young players. He knows the game, and his enthusiasm is contagious.

The B's
Larry Brown (Bobcats) is doing an A-quality job in Charlotte and is an excellent teacher. But his documented history of lying, of egregious arrogance and of making excuses for his own failings result in his being docked a grade.

Vinny Del Negro (Bulls) did a terrific job in his rookie year in Chicago. He utilized his available personnel perfectly and coaxed his players to perform at their best at the right time. What does he do for an encore?

Doc Rivers (Celtics) is a consummate con man, but he lets his great players be great.

Paul Westphal (Kings) has never coached a loser during his four full seasons in the command seat. His career record stands at 242-114, a mark which is sure to take a big hit in Sacramento.

B-minus
Rick Carlisle (Mavericks) is an excellent Xs and Os man but still struggles to freely communicate with his players and with the media.

Flip Saunders (Wizards) has an oversized playbook and is the master of the two-man baseline zones. He also has much more influence over young players than with hardened veterans.

Byron Scott (Hornets) depends too much on his point guards and needs to diversify his offense.

Erik Spoelstra keeps a low profile, which is precisely what has proved necessary for the Heat to overachieve.

Mike Woodson has managed to keep the immature Hawklings steadily moving forward without going crazy. But the biggest test of his sanity will come this season when Atlanta must finally reach its potential, or else start all over.

C-plus
Lawrence Frank (Nets) is extremely likeable and is never outworked, two characteristics that earn his players' respect. However, he lacks charisma and is also burdened by a dysfunctional roster.

Eddie Jordan (Sixers) is personable and knowledgeable, but his game plan is too inexact.

George Karl's (Nuggets) arrogance is humungous. Moreover, he has no basic philosophy, is incapable of inspiring his players and of gaining their trust.

Kurt Rambis (Timberwolves) might be too cynical to have sufficient patience with young players. Plus, he's handicapped by also having to deal with a hands-on, loony-tunes owner.

Scott Skiles is demanding and overbearingly acerbic but still manages to ratchet up his players' game-to-game intensity. Unless the Bucks start winning, however, he will wear them out before the All-Star break.

Stan Van Gundy (Magic) regularly over-coaches his team, perhaps in some subliminal competition with his brother.

The gentlemen's C's
Mike D'Antoni (Knicks) has everything going for him except a winning game plan.

Jim O'Brien is steady, rational and principled. Too bad the Pacers are one of the least athletic teams in the league.

Jay Triano (Raptors) is a perfect match in Toronto — a mediocre coach for a mediocre team.

The C-minus guys
Mike Brown's (Cavaliers) faulty offense and inability to make adjustments were exposed by the Magic.

Mike Dunleavy (Clippers) is tight-minded and perpetually suspicious, which explains why he has such little impact on his players' attitudes.

Alvin Gentry (Suns) has a lifetime record of 162-205 and is resurrecting the running game in Phoenix mostly to please Steve Nash and Amare Stoudemire. None of these factors promise any degree of success, but Gentry is an agreeable get-along type of guy.

The D-man
Don Nelson (Warriors) has the most colossal ego among his peers. The mind games he plays are designed to keep his players perpetually insecure and to preserve his power.

Incomplete
Lionel Hollins (Grizzlies) and John Kuester (Pistons).

lefty
10-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Lol

da_suns_fan
10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
I was gonna predict:

Phil Jackson - A

Everyone else: F

kamikazi_player
10-09-2009, 03:12 PM
a thread tlongII made that doesn't involve the blazers?
Edit: Nvm it didn't say (blazers)

jack sommerset
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Jerry Sloan is overrated. This is a players league. He has had some great players and he has not won shit.

jazzypimp
10-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Jerry Sloan is overrated. This is a players league. He has had some great players and he has not won shit.

Fuck you bitch ass!! He didnt win with those players cuz of jordan. Don't be a little dick monkey!
You whine like rick adelman

rjv
10-09-2009, 03:27 PM
jerry sloan knows how to work the refs, has never changed his system and no teams have ever run the pick and roll better. he also gets his players to play physical night in and night out.

rockets fan may still be bitter over the bitch slap sloan's jazz did on the supposedly championship caliber team that the rockets had with sir charles.

that image of stockton (a pasty white player from america ?) hitting that 3 to win the series is classic.

jack sommerset
10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Fuck you bitch ass!! He didnt win with those players cuz of jordan. Don't be a little dick monkey!
You whine like rick adelman

:lol Dumbass. Jordan only played the Jazz once in the finals because the Jazz NEVER fucking made it again. FYI. Not a Rocket fan. Site makes you choose a team.

Allanon
10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
FYI. Not a Rocket fan. Site makes you choose a team.

You keep saying you're not a fan of the team in your title but you keep picking different teams other than "your own team". What was it the last time...the Bulls I believe.

It's no innocent mistake, it's not the site making you choose another team, you're just a little bitch fan afraid to tell people what team you really root for. :lol

redzero
10-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Charley Rosen is a faggot. Sipping that Haterade.

Amaso
10-09-2009, 03:39 PM
:lol Dumbass. Jordan only played the Jazz once in the finals because the Jazz NEVER fucking made it again. FYI. Not a Rocket fan. Site makes you choose a team.

the jazz made the finals 2 years in a row

jack sommerset
10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
the jazz made the finals 2 years in a row

Fixed. Jordan only played the Jazz twice in the finals because the Jazz NEVER fucking made it again. FYI. Not a Rocket fan. Site makes you choose a team.

Culburn369
10-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I don't understand the rating for Adelman. The SOB would not come hard Vs. the Lakers, instead choosing to funk & junk and play the refs for umpteenth years because he's basically afraid to put it all out there, come up short and then have to face the mirror.

jazzypimp
10-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Fixed. Jordan only played the Jazz twice in the finals because the Jazz NEVER fucking made it again. FYI. Not a Rocket fan. Site makes you choose a team.

Just proving what a fucking idiot you are! How the fuck is someone supposed to take you seriously with no fucking team to root for you whack ass bitch! Get the fuck outta ya fucking leprachaun troll

Culburn369
10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Just proving what a fucking idiot you are! How the fuck is someone supposed to take you seriously with no fucking team to root for you whack ass bitch! Get the fuck outta ya fucking leprachaun troll

Jazzy, sweetheart, you're O & forever. You've no room at the adults table. Get over there to the card table with the the Dallas people. That's it, honey-bun, just hunker on down on the metal folding chair.

Chow.

jazzypimp
10-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Jazzy, sweetheart, you're O & forever. You've no room at the adults table. Get over there to the card table with the the Dallas people. That's it, honey-bun, just hunker on down on the metal folding chair.

Chow.

shut the fuck up you incesant smithering old man! Do me a fucking favor and wheel your fat ass to the nearest stairwell and take a leap. You insecure little girl stuck inside a 50 year old nutsac!

baseline bum
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM

If I was a Rocket fan I wouldn't admit it either.

jazzypimp
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
If I was a Rocket fan I wouldn't admit it either.
:lol I guess you got a point there

Culburn369
10-09-2009, 04:33 PM
shut the fuck up you incesant smithering old man! Do me a fucking favor and wheel your fat ass to the nearest stairwell and take a leap. You insecure little girl stuck inside a 50 year old nutsac!

I'd give the whole nutsac to be 50 again, Jazzy. Por favor.

jazzypimp
10-09-2009, 04:35 PM
I'd give the whole nutsac to be 50 again, Jazzy. Por favor.

I guess you got to get online then to prove to yourself you got some balls eh?

iggypop123
10-09-2009, 04:37 PM
whats wrong with the list?

Culburn369
10-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I guess you got to get online then to prove to yourself you got some balls eh?

eh.