OR

http://www.cultureby.com/trilogy/images/jayz.jpg

Kermit
10-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Classic Spurstalk.

mookie2001
10-09-2009, 04:18 PM
i dont care who won but nas is better

its not even close, although jay z is slightly better than his peers who really really just reinvent being a sucker mc like 50 cent, eminem and kanye west

IronMexican
10-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Nas, by a mile. Better rapper and better diss track.

baseline bum
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Seriously? This beef is almost as lopsided as KRS vs Nelly or Ice-T vs LL Cool J..

dallaskd
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
'Ether' might be my favorite song of all time.

timvp
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
This is like asking who won between LeBron James and DeShawn Stevenson.

JamStone
10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Wasn't the beef squashed like three years ago?

Anyway, Nas won the beef, but for me, Jay-Z has done better later in his career. Nas fell off hard after "It Was Written." I haven't liked much of his stuff since and that was back in the late 90s.

dickface
10-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Kinda hard to say Nas won when a few years later Jay-Z was signing his checks.

monosylab1k
10-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Nas killed Jay-Z back in the day, but then as his popularity was dropping, he basically became Jay-Z's ballwasher to get some publicity. Along with that fake controversy about how he was going to name his album "Nagger" when he knew all along he wasn't.

Ether > Takeover

but

Jay-Z > Nas

baseline bum
10-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Wasn't the beef squashed like three years ago?

Anyway, Nas won the beef, but for me, Jay-Z has done better later in his career. Nas fell off hard after "It Was Written." I haven't liked much of his stuff since and that was back in the late 90s.

Stillmatic kills anything Jay Z has ever put out.

balli
10-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Nasir ftw.

Rip-Hamilton32
10-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Nasir Jones, although Jays latest album is better then untitled which was a huge disapointment

Kool Bob Love
10-10-2009, 11:18 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z81xr0vLzX0/SKnHWCNSIvI/AAAAAAAABng/bwBODdbh88k/s400/jay-z-crazy.jpg

http://dieselnation.blogs.com/photos/images/jayz_black_album.jpg

:king

baseline bum
10-10-2009, 11:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_z81xr0vLzX0/SKnHWCNSIvI/AAAAAAAABng/bwBODdbh88k/s400/jay-z-crazy.jpg

http://dieselnation.blogs.com/photos/images/jayz_black_album.jpg

:king

:rollin

At least pick Reasonable Doubt if you're going to hype Jay Z (which isn't as good as Stillmatic, much less Illmatic)

dirk4mvp
10-10-2009, 11:41 PM
I take Nas, but Illmatic is about the most over hyped rap album I've ever heard.

mookie2001
10-10-2009, 11:44 PM
you remember the hype it had in 94?

dirk4mvp
10-10-2009, 11:46 PM
you remember the hype it had in 94?

No but people I talk to about it think it's the be all end all of rap.

resistanze
10-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Ether was even that spectacular of a diss track. Jay-Z lost that beef based on his subsequent meltdown alone.

mookie2001
10-10-2009, 11:54 PM
naw rap still had almost 3 years life left, but its in my holy trinity

the only albums you could EVER compare it to would be enter the wutang, the predator, midnight mauraders, cold vein and ready to die

Cant_Be_Faded
10-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Dude bloggin with spurstalkers in the club about what good rap is is like bloggin on www.texagggggs.com about how ron paul makes sense.

baseline bum
10-11-2009, 12:26 AM
I take Nas, but Illmatic is about the most over hyped rap album I've ever heard.

No way in hell :smchode:

Not only are the rhymes great and the delivery flawless, but Sony spent a grip on getting the best producers in the business to ensure every song had an incredible beat on top of everything else. QTip, Premier, Large Professor, Pete Rock, MC Serch,... I mean shit, he had everyone but Dre doing his music on Illmatic. Sony knew they had signed a superstar from the second they landed Nas, and went balls-out making his debut.

NY State of Mind - Good
Life's a Bitch - Classic
The World is Yours - Classic
Halftime - Classic
Memory Lane - One of the 10 greatest hiphop songs ever
One Luv - Good
One Time For Your Mind - Good
Represent - Classic
It Ain't Hard to Tell - Classic

It's easily a top 5 album of all-time.

Kool Bob Love
10-11-2009, 12:59 AM
:rollin

At least pick Reasonable Doubt if you're going to hype Jay Z (which isn't as good as Stillmatic, much less Illmatic)

:ihit at me...

Jay Z is a Free mason...

"Keep one eye open like CBS"
http://www.timboucher.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/eye-pyramid.jpg

http://nahright.com/news/wp-content/images/jay-z_the_roc.jpg

JamStone
10-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Anything hot Nas put out after "It Was Written" is negated by him putting out that song "You Owe Me" with Ginuine. As if "Hate Me Now" wasn't bad enough, that Ginuine joint made him a complete bitch in my eyes. That was the type of shit that emcees like Jeru and Black Star and Common and underground artists and real hip hop fans were fed up with the direction of hip hop, and to have it come from one of the greats like Nas. I lost total respect for him. Jay-Z put out commercial shit too, but I don't know, Nas to me completely fell off the cliff and then tried to be a commercial pop rapper when he saw hip hop moving towards the bling era. He tried to redeem himself with Stillmatic, but it wasn't enough to make me feel like he punked out. Again, not to say that Jay didn't have his share of lame commercial shit, but for some reason, it hurt me more to see Nas do it.

timvp
10-12-2009, 01:09 AM
Anything hot Nas put out after "It Was Written" is negated by him putting out that song "You Owe Me" with Ginuine. As if "Hate Me Now" wasn't bad enough, that Ginuine joint made him a complete bitch in my eyes. That was the type of shit that emcees like Jeru and Black Star and Common and underground artists and real hip hop fans were fed up with the direction of hip hop, and to have it come from one of the greats like Nas. I lost total respect for him. Jay-Z put out commercial shit too, but I don't know, Nas to me completely fell off the cliff and then tried to be a commercial pop rapper when he saw hip hop moving towards the bling era. He tried to redeem himself with Stillmatic, but it wasn't enough to make me feel like he punked out. Again, not to say that Jay didn't have his share of lame commercial shit, but for some reason, it hurt me more to see Nas do it.

If we are going to go down that road, then Jay negated his whole career before it really began when he came up rapping like the Fu-Schnickens and then bit Nas style after that gimmick didn't work.

K1thvEtGM5M

Biting Nas' style and plagiarizing Biggie by the ton is exponentially lamer than Nas cashing in with some weak pop ish.

lol jay-z

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 01:12 AM
my buddy timvp, dropping his first sciences in years

JamStone
10-12-2009, 01:34 AM
You see, that's precisely why it upset me more that Nas punked out than whenever Jay did. Jay from jumpstreet was never ashamed or abashed when it came to trying different styles even if it might be lame. He was always more about flow and how it sounded than substance. He bit Biggie. He bit Nas. He bit Pac. He bit Jaz-O. He was consumed with being able to flow in every imaginable style there was. He wasn't dubbed as the lyrical genius Nas was when Nas first came out. Nas was the street poet. He came with "NY State of Mind" and "Memory Lane" and "I Gave You Power" and "Black Girl Lost." Shit that didn't just sound good, but said something, not only told a story, but gave a message. And for him to commercialize his shit to straight crap like "You Owe Me" and "Hate Me Now" and "Made You Look" just hurt me as a hip hop fan more than anything Jay-Z, who was always doing different styles, had the club hits, the commercial joints from jump. When Jay would put out a wack song, I'd be like, ok, well that's what he does sometimes. You listen to "Illmatic" and "It Was Written," even the radio singles were crazy good. How do you go from dropping shit like Mobb Deep to putting out joints Nelly would drop? That's my crack on Nas. Others will have a different opinion. That's fine. It pissed me off way more with Nas because of what he did in his first two albums.

mookie2001
10-12-2009, 01:38 AM
ice cubes shit sucks now that doesnt mean one track on amerikkkas most wanted doesnt bukkake every champange rhyme jay z has ever said

thats the nature of music, do you think i listen to b-reals new shit ot Qtips latest?

please

baseline bum
10-12-2009, 02:51 AM

I completely disagree with you on It Was Written; I thought that was a horrible follow-up. "The Message" was the only track I really liked off it. I remember buying that album the day it came out and hoping that it could be half of Illmatic, and being extremely disappointed the second I popped the tape in. The way he tried to act like a mafioso on that album was horrible (especially on Affirmative Action). I hated his commercial shit and "Hate Me Now" was pathetic, but Illmatic and Stillmatic were classic enough to make me love Nas even if he sells completely out and goes R & B.

baseline bum
10-12-2009, 02:53 AM
If we are going to go down that road, then Jay negated his whole career before it really began when he came up rapping like the Fu-Schnickens and then bit Nas style after that gimmick didn't work.

K1thvEtGM5M

Biting Nas' style and plagiarizing Biggie by the ton is exponentially lamer than Nas cashing in with some weak pop ish.

lol jay-z

Damn. That's almost as comical as Ice Cube starting off biting the Beastie Boys style.

DieMrBond
10-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Admittedly I'm not exactly in the 'hip-hop' demographic, but for putting the discography on shuffle - you get more good songs from Jay-Z. Black Album and the Blueprint series have some great tracks on it. Although, illmatic is a pretty landmark album...

The Nas tracks that come up seem to be more vulgar rhymes... but when he's on, hes impressive. I will admit, i'm not the biggest fan of the 'hardcore bitches and hoes hip-hop', (Pussy Killz, for example) - but I do enjoy all the classics of the genre...

Just my white-guy-from-suburban-Australia 2cents.