PDA

View Full Version : 20-Second Timeout: Blair's Work Ethic Shines Through

lurker23
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Blair's Work Ethic Shines Through
by Bill Schoening | October 8, 2009

It was a good half hour after a morning training camp practice had concluded, and Spurs rookie forward DeJuan Blair was still on the court, working on pick and roll manuevers and short jumpers around the basket with assistant coach Chad Forcier. With sweat pouring from his brow, Blair pressed on. It's the type of work ethic that has endeared Blair to his coaches and teammates.

It's not taking fans long to embrace the burly rookie. He was a big hit in the Spurs preseason debut on Tuesday night at the AT&T Center, pacing the team with 16 points and 19 rebounds. Similar performances were common during Blair's stellar two year career at Pitt. Following Tuesday's game, the softspoken Blair said, "It was fun. I just did what they asked me to do and that's rebound. Everything else came off of that."

While there's room for improvement in all phases of the 20 year old's game, his hard work, energy, and positive attitude could very well earn him a spot in the Spurs frontcourt rotation.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/timeout/20secondto.html

Hooks
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I wonder how much bigger and stronger this dude is going to get throughout his career, I keep forgetting he barely turned 20 a few months ago, doesn't look like it at all though. I was born in '90 and he was born in April of '89, crazy lol.

timvp
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
working on pick and roll manuevers

At first I thought that was a typo (maneuvers). Then I realized that was Schoening's slick way of pointing out how the Ginobili-to-Blair pick and roll didn't work well in the first preseason game.

Nicely done :tu

Knoxxx
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM
It would not surprise me to see Blair break someone's arm on a rebound this year.

lurker23
10-09-2009, 04:52 PM
At first I thought that was a typo (maneuvers). Then I realized that was Schoening's slick way of pointing out how the Ginobili-to-Blair pick and roll didn't work well in the first preseason game.

:lol

On a somewhat related note, hopefully Blair's huge (yet soft) hands will help him to catch the unexpected passes that Manu often throws. There's always the psychological adjustment of being ready at all times, though.

Libri
10-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I wonder how much bigger and stronger this dude is going to get throughout his career, I keep forgetting he barely turned 20 a few months ago, doesn't look like it at all though. I was born in '90 and he was born in April of '89, crazy lol.

He can get bigger by eating more donuts. He can get stronger by pumping more iron. I favor the second approach.

Spursox
10-09-2009, 05:23 PM
The guy reminds me alot like Larry Johnson. I wouldn't mind him turning into like Grandma Ma....

Manu-of-steel
10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
I like this Blair already. if he keeps his dedication to the game, he could be a very good player. I'm looking forward to the nba season.

Danny.Zhu
10-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Cool.

Solid D
10-09-2009, 11:33 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/030615_bill.jpg

Bill: Good lookin' out, timvp. Yeah, that's it. I meant to do that.

Samr
10-09-2009, 11:42 PM

IF he did that on purpose, that's why he's a professional and us arm-chair quarterbacks are not. I want confirmation or otherwise proof that he did that on purpose though.

(According to a recent magazine article, San Antonians are one of the dumbest large cities in the nation... he could have at least italicized it or something!!!)

Solid D
10-09-2009, 11:50 PM
timvp was wayyyyy ahead of Bill on that one.

Blackjack
10-09-2009, 11:51 PM

Very Mcsubtle.

JWest596
10-10-2009, 01:48 AM
What's next?

"Spurs are manuvated in win"?

Spurs' opponents suffer premature emanulation?

bigfan
10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Blair reminds me of a young Karl Malone so far. Thats a good thing.