PDA

View Full Version : New Alice in Chains

Spurminator
10-09-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/AIC_FINAL_COVERsmall.jpg

I am digging it. Sounds like an album they could have recorded in 1997.

Here's the lead single.

SBcADQziQWY

By the way, that's Jerry singing lead, not the new singer, so don't say the new guy sounds just like Layne Staley... He only sounds like Layne to the people who thought Layne was singing all of the songs in the original band.

JMarkJohns
10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Love Cantrell... Own Degradation Trip. I'll listen to this new album, but I am really going to miss Staley. I know Cantrell was always the backbone, but Staley, for me, was the heart and soul. Loved his voice. RIP, Layne...

EricB
10-09-2009, 05:30 PM
agreed, STP, AIC, Pearl Jam, all that 90s rock to me is just the best.

David Bowie
10-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm a huge fan of Alice in Chains. This certainly has AIC "feel" and harmonies. But the song itself is just allright. Didn't really impress me.

leemajors
10-09-2009, 07:07 PM
http://www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/AIC_FINAL_COVERsmall.jpg

I am digging it. Sounds like an album they could have recorded in 1997.

Here's the lead single.

SBcADQziQWY

By the way, that's Jerry singing lead, not the new singer, so don't say the new guy sounds just like Layne Staley... He only sounds like Layne to the people who thought Layne was singing all of the songs in the original band.

No thanks. I feel compelled to say something about Van Haggar but don't have much motivation.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-10-2009, 12:30 AM
I think he does sound like Layne, as much as you can expect another voice to sound like another voice.
BTW--anyone who could not tell the difference between Cantrell's voice and Layne's is a retard. Simple as that.

Cantrell fucking rules. He is the first artist I ever saw live in my entire life, I was 14 and went with my cousin's husband to a metallica concert in Selma. He was opening (actually Days of the New was first, but we missed them). I bought his first album Boggy Depot shortly thereafter. Never much liked the single "Cut You In" in the video, but after hearing it live, i just liked the thing.

Cantrell's got talent. Very underrated songwriter.

I like the new song, gonna probably buy the new album.

Obstructed_View
10-10-2009, 04:55 AM
Jerry Cantrell has always been such a big part of the harmonies, it takes a lot of the shock away from the idea of AIC without LS.

JoeChalupa
10-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I like it.

JMarkJohns
10-10-2009, 11:09 AM
I'm a huge fan of Alice in Chains. This certainly has AIC "feel" and harmonies. But the song itself is just allright. Didn't really impress me.

+1 Wouldn't change the song if it came on, but wouldn't openly seek it out to play it, either... Good vocal harmonies. The buzzsaw bends of the guitar were slightly off-putting. I love Cantrell's bends style, but this just didn't work for me.

Fpoonsie
10-10-2009, 11:36 AM
agreed, STP, AIC, Pearl Jam, all that 90s rock to me is just the best.

Quoted for truthiness.

Spurminator
10-10-2009, 11:52 AM
I think he does sound like Layne, as much as you can expect another voice to sound like another voice.
BTW--anyone who could not tell the difference between Cantrell's voice and Layne's is a retard. Simple as that.

Here's one where Duvall sings lead.

i0nQpduuLeY

Spurminator
10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
No thanks. I feel compelled to say something about Van Haggar but don't have much motivation.

Oh he's no Sammy Hagar. After all, Hagar took Van Halen into new territory. They grew beyond frat party rock into something so much deeper and progressive. Hagar was the impetus for the band fully realizing their musical genius.

;)

leemajors
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Oh he's no Sammy Hagar. After all, Hagar took Van Halen into new territory. They grew beyond frat party rock into something so much deeper and progressive. Hagar was the impetus for the band fully realizing their musical genius.

;)

So, you could say he took then beyond 55?

JudynTX
10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
:tu :tu I really like this CD. William doing a great job.

exstatic
10-10-2009, 03:51 PM

;)

So, you could say he took then beyond 55?

One question: when was the last time VH released new material? By my count it was three Hagar sung songs prior to the last tour with Hagar. Before that it was 3 Roth tunes for the GH album. Before that was the abomination that was VH III. So, that's what, one studio album that they'll never play live, 3 Sammy songs likely to face the same fate, and 3 so so Roth tunes in 13 years?

People can love on original Van Halen (minus MA) all they want as long as you realize they've become their own tribute band. They'll happily take your money again to play "Ain't talkin' bout love" for the bazillionth time, though.

Obstructed_View
10-10-2009, 04:09 PM

;)

:lmao

Spoken like someone who's never heard Fair Warning or VHII all the way through.

ATRAIN
10-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Just gave the new chains a listen. I like it, takes me back several years. There are times it sounds like LS is still there.

JudynTX
10-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Just gave the new chains a listen. I like it, takes me back several years. There are times it sounds like LS is still there.

:tu

Whisky Dog
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I like the album but wished there was a bit more variety, maybe. Bit more edge to some of the songs. I dig the riff on check my brain but the album could have used a couple more songs with a harder grind instead of so many introspective melodic tunes that kind of blend together. It's no Dirt, but it's not bad either.

JMarkJohns
10-15-2009, 10:26 PM
So, I'm wondering why "A Looking In View" wasn't the first single off the new album? I know it's a bit long, but it's pretty freakin' awesome. Love the Jar Of Flies feel on "Your Decision" and "When The Sun Rose Again" ... Overall, those three songs are the only A's I'd give the album. I agree with Whisky Dog. Many songs had a great sound, but not the edge/grind I expect from AIC. Several of the songs were kind of droning, which isn't a great thing when overdone. "A Looking In View" kicks major ass...

ATRAIN
10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
So, I'm wondering why "A Looking In View" wasn't the first single off the new album? I know it's a bit long, but it's pretty freakin' awesome. Love the Jar Of Flies feel on "Your Decision" and "When The Sun Rose Again" ... Overall, those three songs are the only A's I'd give the album. I agree with Whisky Dog. Many songs had a great sound, but not the edge/grind I expect from AIC. Several of the songs were kind of droning, which isn't a great thing when overdone. "A Looking In View" kicks major ass...

Jar was the best Chains stuff IMO

JMarkJohns
10-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Jar Of Flies and Dirt. It goes back-n-forth for me...

leemajors
10-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Jar Of Flies and Dirt. It goes back-n-forth for me...

SAP too

ATRAIN
10-16-2009, 10:29 AM
SAP too

Yes I think so as well but it was too damn short being an ep and all.

Soul_Patch
10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
I always thought they should bring in Maynard from tool in to sing for AIC...i think it would be different, but woudl fit great.

Spurminator
10-16-2009, 11:37 AM
He did a few songs with them at a Tsunami benefit, but none of the recordings I've found are any good.

leemajors
10-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Yes I think so as well but it was too damn short being an ep and all.

Jar of Flies is an EP too. My old roomie has both of them on vinyl. Sap is on Side A, first half of JoF on Side B, rest of JoF on second record, other side pf record has a sweet AIC logo on it. He got it at Sound Exchange when it was still open.

ATRAIN
10-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Jar of Flies is an EP too. My old roomie has both of them on vinyl. Sap is on Side A, first half of JoF on Side B, rest of JoF on second record, other side pf record has a sweet AIC logo on it. He got it at Sound Exchange when it was still open.

Thats bad ass, do you still talk to him and if so would he sell it :)

leemajors
10-16-2009, 12:07 PM
yeah, he's one of my best friends, and no, he wouldn't haha

ATRAIN
10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
yeah, he's one of my best friends, and no, he wouldn't haha

I had no idea on Jar being an ep and split. I didnt get into chains until right after Jar and by then it was already as one.

Spurminator
10-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Thats bad ass, do you still talk to him and if so would he sell it :)

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=jar+of+flies+sap+vinyl

JudynTX
10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Last Of My Kind is my favorite song from this CD.

leemajors
10-16-2009, 02:13 PM
I had no idea on Jar being an ep and split. I didnt get into chains until right after Jar and by then it was already as one.

it was an EP, but it was only split for that "double" EP.