PDA

View Full Version : Are the Dallas Mavericks the new San Antonio Spurs?

badfish22
10-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Every day until the regular season begins, HoopsVibe the Blog will ask and answer an important question facing each of the NBA’s thirty teams. Weigh-in with thoughts on our Key Questions feature in the comment box below.

Today’s team: The Dallas Mavericks.

Key Question: Are the Dallas Mavericks the new San Antonio Spurs?

The Answer: Call it ‘The Texas Switcheroo’.

Typically, the San Antonio Spurs crept up on the NBA by quietly upgrading their roster during the off-season. They left the high-profile moves and controversial headlines to their Lone Star cousins, the Dallas Mavericks.

Not this summer.

The Spurs seized the golfing season spotlight by trading for versatile star Richard Jefferson and signing the dependable Antonio McDyess, while the Mavericks took a more understated route, building on their strong 2009 by re-upping with point guard Jason Kidd and adding Drew Gooden and Shawn Marion.

Now, in 2010, it’s Dallas, not San Antonio, who seem slept-on, overlooked and taken for granted. And with a potentially great starting unit and deep bench, Team Cuban could surprise come playoff time.

They should have an elite first-five. Eleven seasons into his Hall of Fame career, Dirk Nowitzki has shown little sign of slowing. The German will get his 25 points and 9 rebounds per night, but the Mavericks need him to lead and defend like he did during the latter part of last season.

Armed with a new three-year deal, Kidd will again handle the point-guard duties. No longer an elite table-setter, the veteran will serve as sideline boss Rick Carlisle’s on-court coach. In somewhat limited minutes, he’ll still post respectable assist and rebound numbers.

Kidd’s most important job will be to keep others happy, though. For instance, the temperamental Josh Howard needs consistent touches early in the game to re-establish himself as a star. Marion, also an emotional star, has to get his in the open court; Gooden excels when receiving regular service on the block.

Gooden, Howard, Kidd, Marion, and Nowitzki are all above average rebounders and defenders. So, as a group, they’re ideal for Carlisle’s get-stops system and, on both ends of the floor, match-up favourably against most starting units.

There is also great depth. Jason ‘The Jet’ Terry is a perennial Sixth Man of the Year candidate, while Erick Dampier and Tim Thomas provide insurance down-low. However, the energetic Jose Barea and tough James Singelton are worth watching. And several others are capable of filling a role in an emergency.

Not long ago, Dallas considering trading Nowitzki and starting over. Instead of following the conventional model of bottoming-out by trading assets for draft picks and cap space, they re-tooled on the fly around Nowitzki.

This was the right decision. The Mavericks are again relevant and dangerous. Only now, they’re sneaking up on opponents.

Prediction: 3rd in in the Western Conference, capable of challenging the league’s best.

Besides the stupid title, I agree with most of the things in this article, but thats pretty obvious considering I'm a huge homer.

But after seeing how well Marion can still run and get to the basket, I'm pretty pumped for the new season.
What do you guys* think? Any chance the Mavs could make a run for the finals?

*by "you guys" I mean everyone except stupid Laker homers who think no one has a prayer but them and that annoying kid that roots for the Knicks.

BlackSwordsMan
10-09-2009, 10:13 PM
in the sense that no one will watch them? yeah

birdy219
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Okay, the article isn't too bad. I just couldn't stop laughing at the title.:lol

Question.... Why is it that the mavs always bring up the Spurs? :deadhorse

According to them, don't they "own" us? :rolleyes

Shouldn't they be moving on to other contenders say like the lakers? :bike:

What is the problem? :perv:

Are they afraid of them? :pimpslap

Udokafan05
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
It mentions that Gooden, Kidd, Dirk, and Howard are "above average rebounders and defenders". Kidd gets killed by quick pg's, Gooden and Howard play defense every 5th possesion, and Dirk has never been good defender or rebounder. The only similarity is mavs upgrades are small like spurs have been in past seasons.

badfish22
10-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Okay, the article isn't too bad. I just couldn't stop laughing at the title.:lol

Question.... Why is it that the mavs always bring up the Spurs? :deadhorse

According to them, don't they "own" us? :rolleyes

Shouldn't they be moving on to other contenders say like the lakers? :bike:

What is the problem? :perv:

Are they afraid of them? :pimpslap

Umm this is a writer bringing up the spurs, not the Mavericks bringing up the spurs.
All he is saying is that while everyone is gushing over how good the Spurs offseason was, the Mavs have quietly built a strong roster that might be able to make a run in the Playoffs.

It mentions that Gooden, Kidd, Dirk, and Howard are "above average rebounders and defenders". Kidd gets killed by quick pg's, Gooden and Howard play defense every 5th possesion, and Dirk has never been good defender or rebounder. The only similarity is mavs upgrades are small like spurs have been in past seasons.
Sigh.... Kidd won't guard quick pg's anymore that will be a combination of Marion, Howard and Roddy.
Howard is a good defender so I don't know what you are talking about in that second comment. He always has been a good defender when he is healthy.
Dirk is a decent defender and a good rebounder. He averages over 8 rpg every year.

ezau
10-09-2009, 11:05 PM
The Mavs are just one solid center away from being part of the elite. There's no question that they improved for this season.

dirk4mvp
10-09-2009, 11:09 PM
and Dirk has never been good defender or rebounder.

Oh my. Even if you don't think he's a good defender (hi 2003), calling him a bad rebounder is retarded as it gets.

DPG21920
10-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Sometimes, often, I shake my head at my own peeps.

Rogue
10-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Es aun muy temprano que decir las Mavs convertiran a campeons en proximo ano, pero poco bueno alteracions haben visto. Espero que neustro hijos en azuel jugaran extremadamente de todos modos.

urunobili
10-10-2009, 12:14 AM
typical Mav article... they went back to trying to copy cat us... :lol :loser

Greg Oden
10-10-2009, 12:16 AM
typical Mav aticle... they went back to trying to copy cat us... :lol :loser:

That's like Hitler trying to copy Poland.

Cant_Be_Faded
10-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Stupidest fucking article I've read all week. Where is this from? Who was the intended audience?

1) Gooden and Marion on normal spurs offseason would be monumental

2) Mavs homers here in DFW are stroking it constantly about how bad ass this team is going to be (should be great to watch them slowly turn on Gooden as the season progresses)

3) Noone is really overlooking them, just saying they have almost no chance to win a championship. Something other fans never say about the Spurs.

Rogue
10-10-2009, 12:33 AM
typical Mav aticle... they went back to trying to copy cat us... :lol :loser:
Usted chupas que escribir un incorrecto palabra.

duncan228
10-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Where is this from? Who was the intended audience?

It's from a blog on Hoopsvibe written by Oly Sandor. Not sure how old he is, he looks young.

Oly Sandor is an NBA analyst and sports journalist based out of Vancouver, Canada.

After years of the free-lance game, Oly Sandor is bringing his unique brand of NBA analysis exclusively to Hoopsvibe, the hottest basketball website in the game. Oly and the Hoopsvibe staff invite you to join him everyday at NBAblog.hoopsvibe.com, where he’ll tackle The Association’s most controversial issues.

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/are-dirk-nowitzki-and-the-dallas-mavericks-the-new-san-antonio-spurs-ar50771.html

DJB
10-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Oh my god, is this thread serious? You will never be half as elite as the San Antonio Spurs.

pawe
10-10-2009, 01:46 AM
They cant be the new Spurs.
They can be the new Hornets or the new Nuggets or any other team hovering around the top spot but will never really pose a legitimate threat to win the championship.

Fpoonsie
10-10-2009, 03:58 AM
They cant be the new Spurs.
They can be the new Hornets or the new Nuggets or any other team hovering around the top spot but will never really pose a legitimate threat to win the championship.

...so you're sayin they can be the old Mavericks?

TDMVPDPOY
10-10-2009, 06:00 AM
The Mavs are just one solid center away from being part of the elite. There's no question that they improved for this season.

u got erica dampier 2nd best center behind shaq according to him a few seasons ago...is this still upheld today?

Basketballgirl25
10-10-2009, 07:08 AM

Yeah the Mavs have improved, but so have other teams. Which is good then Mavs are less likely to win:toast

stretch
10-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Kidd gets killed by quick pg's

this is something that is just sooooo fucking stupid when people say it.

when people talk about "quick pgs" they are referring to guys like CP3, D-Will, Parker, Harris... guys like that... NO FUCKING PG'S IN THE LEAGUE can consistently guard those guys. its a fucking team effort. if you are relying on one man to guard any of those guys, you are going to be fucking torched, no matter who it is. Gary Payton in his prime would get torched if he was consistently left on an island against someone like CP3 or Parker. they are too damn quick, period.

everyone needs to stfu about kidd and his ability to guard CP3 or Parker, because it takes a team effort. same with any other superstar in the league, like Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Timmy, Carmello, etc... no one can stop any of those guys when just left on an island all game.

Culburn369
10-10-2009, 09:08 AM

when people talk about "quick pgs" they are referring to guys like CP3, D-Will, Parker, Harris... guys like that... NO FUCKING PG'S IN THE LEAGUE can consistently guard those guys. its a fucking team effort. if you are relying on one man to guard any of those guys, you are going to be fucking torched, no matter who it is. Gary Payton in his prime would get torched if he was consistently left on an island against someone like CP3 or Parker. they are too damn quick, period.

everyone needs to stfu about kidd and his ability to guard CP3 or Parker, because it takes a team effort. same with any other superstar in the league, like Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Timmy, Carmello, etc... no one can stop any of those guys when just left on an island all game.

Stretch/sans the incessant cussing/with simply an admirable post.

Matzel, Matzel, good things.

Basketballgirl25
10-10-2009, 11:32 AM

I don't say Kidd is slow and can't keep up with quick pgs. I think Kidd has lost a few steps, I don't see him leading the Mavs to the finals like he did with the Nets in 2002 and 2003, but that's not his job on the Mavs anyway, that is Dirk's job

NoOptionB
10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
They are in plastic Dallas with a billionaire loudmouth owner.

They are DQ'd from Spurs status.

The Spurs win 4 championships and are ignored.

The Mavs have won nothing and are ignored.

Leetonidas
10-10-2009, 12:21 PM
The Mavericks can't be 3rd in the West. The top 3 spots are for division winners, which the Mavericks won't be. They will be 4th though.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
The Mavericks can't be 3rd in the West. The top 3 spots are for division winners, which the Mavericks won't be. They will be 4th though.

As of 2007, they take the 3 division winners, then the best of the other 5 playoff teams, and arrange them 1-4 based on record. If the Spurs win their division, the Mavs could still be the 3 seed.

urunobili
10-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Usted chupas que escribir un incorrecto palabra.

gracias por tus comentarios siempre con clase :tu mantenete asi que le haces un gran bien al foro... No siempre alguien te va a decir cuan imbecil tus comentarios son y cuan discriminador podes llegar a ser... si supieras que los valores de los americanos residen en su diversidad tal vez de una vez por todas puedas apreciar que otras culturas tambien te hacen mejor a ti... de nuevo... aprecio mucho tu feedback... :tu

stretch
10-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't say Kidd is slow and can't keep up with quick pgs. I think Kidd has lost a few steps, I don't see him leading the Mavs to the finals like he did with the Nets in 2002 and 2003, but that's not his job on the Mavs anyway, that is Dirk's job

cool, but i wasnt talking to you, dumbass

stretch
10-10-2009, 12:31 PM

then who will? the hornets? rox? grizz?

gtfo

DUNCANownsKOBE2
10-10-2009, 12:34 PM
I think Basketballgirl25 is a Mouse troll.

Findog
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet gentlemen.

Basketballgirl25
10-10-2009, 07:19 PM
cool, but i wasnt talking to you, dumbass

I know you weren't talking to me:toast. And I am not a dumbass. If you want to see one of them look to Mark Cuban:king

lotr1trekkie
10-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Would anyone trade rosters heads up?

badfish22
10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Would anyone trade rosters heads up?
heeeeell no. That would be torture for both cities.

WildcardManu
10-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Es aun muy temprano que decir las Mavs convertiran a campeons en proximo ano, pero poco bueno alteracions haben visto. Espero que neustro hijos en azuel jugaran extremadamente de todos modos.

Habla español pendejo.

mystargtr34
10-11-2009, 01:54 AM
If you mean the Pre-99 Spurs before they had a ring, then yea.. you could say the Mavs are the new Spurs.