PDA

View Full Version : Blair nearly breaks a "couple of arms"

ceperez
10-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Part of a growing collection:

Manu's comments:
http://www.woai.com/content/sportsvideo/default.aspx?videoId=748416,748479,748478

and some commentary:

D3FrFqYO7A4

Riverwalkman
10-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I've heard that comment by Manu, and Pop said he gives no quarter to anybody, including his teamates.

Samr
10-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Man, once Bowen retired, I figured Spurs fans wouldn't have to fend off the "so-and-so is dirty comments anymore."

Yes, what Blair is doing is not only legal, but smart. Yes, also, he's going to hit Robert Horry-level hatred once he snaps some guy's arm.

I can't wait to read that Pop has officially banned a player's move from the practice facility.

TJastal
10-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Grizzly Blair is defenitely the right name for this guy... Carl Landry is one of the toughest offensive rebounders in the game today and Blair not only out rebounds him in that clip but nearly tears his arm off, showing unbelievable strength in the process, and a nasty streak a mile wide.

Here's to hoping Popovich can figure out how to get this guy on the court for 20 minutes a night. Its gonna be hard though, being a rookie and having Duncan/Dice/Ratliff/Bonner all ahead of him in the rotation.

I could see him passing Ratliff and Bonner to become the first big off the bench.

lotr1trekkie
10-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Blair wasn't even particularly aggressive on that rebound with Landry. He could have backed him out even more. He watches the ball and finds his man--- pure basketball.
Blair will make a lot of clubs regret skipping him. He also has the luxury of having time to work his way into the lineup. I, like most Spurs fans, am pumped to kick Lakers ass again.

NoOptionB
10-10-2009, 12:19 PM
He has to get an Animal reputation since he is small.

Bynum must think twice before he challenges Blair on a disadvantageous rebound. You know Gasol will wuss out :lol

Fpoonsie
10-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Man, once Bowen retired, I figured Spurs fans wouldn't have to fend off the "so-and-so is dirty comments anymore."

Yes, what Blair is doing is not only legal, but smart. Yes, also, he's going to hit Robert Horry-level hatred once he snaps some guy's arm.

I can't wait to read that Pop has officially banned a player's move from the practice facility.

:lol Great take.

It's always fun to add another "hate him on the ______, but I sure as shit wouldn't mind him with my _______" guy to the team. :tu

TIMMYD!
10-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I hope for 2 things for Blair

1) That he isn't as stupid on the court as he is in life.
2) That McDyess only plays about 25 MPG in the regular season, so Blair can get some extra minutes and to lessen the chances of McDyess turning into Kurt Thomas.

How is Blair stupid in life?

TIMMYD!
10-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Should we just start a Dejuan Blair thread that lasts all season long?

NoOptionB
10-10-2009, 02:06 PM
Do you remember when TD first came into the league?

Blair is fine. Hill has improved a lot in interviews in just one year.

HarlemHeat37
10-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Derrick Rose might be the "stupidest" player in the entire league..same with Carmelo Anthony..it didn't stop their teams from investing heavily in their undeniable talent(not comparing Blair to these all-stars, just saying)..

lurker23
10-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe, but there's a reason he fell to the spot he did. And it isn't just all on his ACL's, or lack thereof. If I had the 10th pick in the draft, I'd be real hesitant to draft someone so obviously stupid. I'm thankful he is stupid, though, because if he wasn't... we wouldn't have had a shot to grab him.

Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it any more true.

NRHector
10-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I wonder if the league will try to protect some of the players like Gasol, Garnett, Nowitzki and Bryant from Blair breaking their arms.
After all they are the "darlings" of the NBA, it will be a disaster for Stern if Blair breaks Kobe's arm while trying to get a rebound, we don't want that to happen do we?

Manufan909
10-10-2009, 02:38 PM
You just don't take a rebound from Blair.:P

bigbendbruisebrother
10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Ever heard him speak? Answer questions?

He doesn't sound stupid to me. He sounds annoyed and frankly, he sounds fucking disturbed.

TIMMYD!
10-10-2009, 03:10 PM
I thought he was one of the best interviewees during the draft.

lurker23
10-10-2009, 04:10 PM
If I had the 10th pick in the draft, I'd be real hesitant to draft someone so obviously stupid.

"DeJuan is about 6 foot 7, I would say, but he plays so big because of his arms," Miller said. "He's a very intelligent player. He's physical but he's very intelligent with positioning and how he gets to the ball."
-Xavier coach Sean Miller
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens_basketball/articles/2009/03/26/blair_switch_project/

"Blair's game is built on both an unyielding energy and an uncommon on-court intelligence that allowed him to be among the conference's leaders in both steals and blocked shots."
-Brendon Desrochers, SportsNet New York
http://www.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080313&content_id=1453814&oid=2&vkey=29

"Blair is civic pride and a community's dreams bundled into a 6-foot-7, 265-pound ball of infectious energy -- a well-mannered, intelligent kid who chose to embrace his hometown rather than escape it."
-Dana O'Neil, ESPN.com
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=3865922

hitmanyr2k
10-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Really? Are we listening to the same interviews here? It reminds me of if you'd ask an average second grader a question about long division. He'd have a similar answering style to Blair's average answer to a reporter's question. It's like he can't even put a sentence together correctly half of the time. It's almost a stutter, but it doesn't really have to do with his speech. It's more like a 'brain stutter'.

Maybe the guy is introverted and gets nervous during interviews so he says as few words as possible...doesn't mean he's stupid. I've seen some very intelligent people stumble through oral reports and interviews just because they simply don't like to talk in that kind of setting.

Manufan909
10-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Anyone else wonder why Spurstrodamus' racism is more tolerated than KBP's constant rants and threats? One is kinda hilarious in a sad kind of way (as well as incredibly insulting to actual greeks), the other is just sad and sickening. Not sure if he's just a really good troll or an actual racist, but it's disgusting. He's now on my short list of blocked ST posters, that only has ducks, texas2step, and that shadow-whatever guy who would bitch fit like a woman on 9 periods if the Spurs started losing, winning, losing the lead, or adding the the deficit.

And sorry 'strodomus, if you end up with an awesome comeback, I can thankfully no longer see anything you post. You could always PM, but I'll just delete it.

teeclark
10-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Spurstrodamus alot people have a difficult time speaking in front of others............hence the need for public speaking courses! He is twenty years old for petes sake! Give it a rest please. He will get better as time goes on book it. I graduated from The George Washington University; does that make me any smarter than everyone else? I almost forgot......I am african american by the way.

portnoy
10-10-2009, 04:16 PM

That's a nice complete sentence there Einstein.

teeclark
10-10-2009, 04:20 PM
This is a sports forum not a academic decathlon! If he does turn out to be not as bright as you who cares! Get yourself together please.

teeclark
10-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I like the kid and hopefully he has a long and successful career with the profession he's great in.........basketball! From 20 to 30 yrs of age a person most people make major transitions.

portnoy
10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
What makes me laugh is that people assume because I call Blair a dumbass that I'm a racist. Now, that doesn't mean I'm not racist(I believe everyone is, to varying degrees), BUT... clearly you can not make any sort of judgment call based on me calling someone black dumb and nothing else. That's just dumb in itself, and it's common of the way blacks go about life. Labeling anyone who denounces them that is white a racist.

I don't think it makes you a racist, I think it makes you a hypocrite because you seem unable to organize your thoughts into complete sentences yet you call someone else stupid.

teeclark
10-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Poor you! Poor you! You got us all figured out!lol

portnoy
10-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Just now caught this. Those are 2 separate sentences. Go back to 3rd grade English class, please.

Please point out the verb in the second sentence. Class is dismissed.

teeclark
10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I am done communicating about this foolishness. Have a great day everyone and "GO SPURS GO"

#2!
10-10-2009, 07:41 PM
On the Blair subject, he definitely has pauses and breaks in his interviews, but it seemed like he has an answer to the question and then decides it'd be better to judt focus on his play and nothing else. For instance, when he was asked about whose game his own compared to he said something like "Well a lot of people compare me to.." and then paused and shook his head and said "alot of people say a lot of things, I can't think of them right now." I think he's just saying he can't think of them so he doesn't end up promoting himself, and Pop has been the same way when fielding questions about Blair, reserved. After the 19 board game his quote was "he has a knack for the boards," the reporter laughed, and Pop laughed, because of the ridiculous understatement of it.

I've been thinking spurstrodamus just needs to shut up for a while now. He always says shit like this.

Flux451
10-10-2009, 07:44 PM

2) That McDyess only plays about 25 MPG in the regular season, so Blair can get some extra minutes and to lessen the chances of McDyess turning into Kurt Thomas.

Your pretentiousness is controlling your shallow perception. You sound like an incapacitated Lakers fan trying to stir up some responses for self-fulfillment.

Blair simply isn't comfortable with interviews or doesn't care for them.

I think he doesn't like them.

NRHector
10-10-2009, 07:48 PM

2) That McDyess only plays about 25 MPG in the regular season, so Blair can get some extra minutes and to lessen the chances of McDyess turning into Kurt Thomas.he might be stupid but he sure is making some money playing basketball:toast

honestfool84
10-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Just now caught this. Those are 2 separate sentences. Go back to 3rd grade English class, please.

"Answer questions?" is NOT a complete sentence. stop being so asinine and just shut up for now - no one wants to hear you speak, and clearly you don't know what the heck you're talking about.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Maybe, but there's a reason he fell to the spot he did. And it isn't just all on his ACL's, or lack thereof. If I had the 10th pick in the draft, I'd be real hesitant to draft someone so obviously stupid. I'm thankful he is stupid, though, because if he wasn't... we wouldn't have had a shot to grab him.

Maybe if he was 'smart' enough to be on a video advocating snitches being shot dead like Carmelo, he could have been a top 3 pick...

BlackBellamy
10-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Maybe if he was 'smart' enough to be on a video advocating snitches being shot dead like Carmelo, he could have been a top 3 pick...

I believe that the "snitches be shot dead" policy, brought forth in the now famous Carmelo v. "the Snitches" tapes, is a valid philosophical stance that Mr. Anthony eloquently sums up during the course of the interview. He is actually citing his prepared sophomore year thesis, "The Effect of Snitching in Modern Urban Settings", sub. "Stitches, Who Shall Recieve Them?". We could all learn something from Mr. Melo.

bigbendbruisebrother
10-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Really? Are we listening to the same interviews here? It reminds me of if you'd ask an average second grader a question about long division. He'd have a similar answering style to Blair's average answer to a reporter's question. It's like he can't even put a sentence together correctly half of the time. It's almost a stutter, but it doesn't really have to do with his speech. It's more like a 'brain stutter'.

Yeah, really. He sounds to me like he wants to kick the reporters' asses and that he hates having to do that shit. I pick up a chip-on-the-shoulder vibe, but I don't hear stupidity.

wildbill2u
10-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Fortunately, Toastmaster style speaking ability is not a requirement for an NBA player.

I'm old enough to remember a classic response to a reporter by one of the all time great rebounders the league has ever seen--Moses Malone.

A reporter asked him, "Moses, why did you not play tonight?"

Moses replied, "Foot hurt." End of interview

Tully365
10-11-2009, 11:24 AM
People can use perfect grammar and have large vocabularies and still be stupid.

And Spurstrodamus, please stop being so coy about the racism stuff. Everyone knows you used to post as "Spurssupremacist" and repeatedly said you were an advocate of race supremacy.

NoOptionB
10-11-2009, 01:55 PM
Blair is not even bad in interviews.

This hate stems from something else!

Manufan909
10-11-2009, 03:06 PM

And Spurstrodamus, please stop being so coy about the racism stuff. Everyone knows you used to post as "Spurssupremacist" and repeatedly said you were an advocate of race supremacy.

Did he get banned when he used that screen name?

BlackBellamy
10-11-2009, 03:46 PM

Wow! For a white supremacist, rooting for an NBA team must be a conflicting experience.